• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Finished all the cups with three stars. Aside from some 2000ish coins for the gold glider, that should be everything unlocked. Don't know if I'll do the 200cc time trials, maybe with some of the later DLC waves.

Shroom Ridge is definitely the standout of this DLC wave at 200cc. The traffic and tight turns are manageable enough at lower speeds, but at 200 it's a real test of skill. I didn't do too much 200cc on the Wii U, so if I ever renew my online sub, I'll have to try and play more of it.

Finished all the cups with three stars. Aside from some 2000ish coins for the gold glider, that should be everything unlocked. Don't know if I'll do the 200cc time trials, maybe with some of the later DLC waves.

Shroom Ridge is definitely the standout of this DLC wave at 200cc. The traffic and tight turns are manageable enough at lower speeds, but at 200 it's a real test of skill. I didn't do too much 200cc on the Wii U, so if I ever renew my online sub, I'll have to try and play more of it.
Yeah, Shroom Ridge is a killer 200cc track. It feels just right - you need to use the brakes as you turn around the narrow corners, but it never felt too overwhelming once you used that technique.

Tokyo and Paris are probably the weakest of the city tracks, so things will only go up from here. Vancouver is the best of them; on-par with some of the best past console tracks. Singapore and Los Angeles are one tier behind that; they’ll both be great in 8DX. Sydney, New York and Berlin are okay; and i’m kinda mixed on London. They’re all more interesting than Tokyo and Paris though.

The other non-city Tour original, Merry Mountain, is pretty good too; not as good as Ninja Hideaway (a lot more straightforward, only a few short alternate routes), but still fine.
That’s great to hear.

I still don't quite get the fascination with Ninja Hideaway. I do like the different paths you can take but it seems poorly designed. The tough turns aren't an issue but the visual cues for them are lacking.

This is a unpopular opinion, but I think gravity sections on some retro courses very forced and unnecessary, like Mario Circuit GBA, Cheese Land GBA, Wario Gold Mine Wii, Wario Stadium DS, Toad Turnpike N64 and some others. So, the ausence of gravity sections on this retro DLC courses don't bother me.

This is a unpopular opinion, but I think gravity sections on some retro courses very forced and unnecessary, like Mario Circuit GBA, Cheese Land GBA, Wario Gold Mine Wii, Wario Stadium DS, Toad Turnpike N64 and some others. So, the ausence of gravity sections on this retro DLC courses don't bother me.
Yeah, the gravity thing in general adds nothing in my opinion - I think it's totally fine they left it out for the DLC

Only time gravity matters a bit is when it offers the possibility of taking alternative routes over the walls and so on. Other than that, you don't even realize most of the time if you are upside down or not if it isn't for the wheels roations. So yeah, I don't care about that gimmick.

gravity changes traction and adds interactions with other karts

if you're constantly in first place you don't notice, but it is actually a neat dynamic in a closer race to use other players to get ahead without throwing yourself into a pit. it's not revolutionary, but it would be a bit of a bummer to see it totally gone

What I liked about the antigravity sections in old tracks is that it made them feel like they belonged in MK8. Sure, it's not huge changes but it makes them feel new and also fit better with the actual new tracks.

Before the leak, I was already predicting Rock Rock Mountain for the Rock cup because I love the track (I wanted it for base 8) and because Nintendo occasionally likes to be on the nose. With the leak, the last course in the rock cup is from Mario Kart 7 so….👀

Incidentally, @IntelliHeath the prediction contest thread got locked. Is the contest still on? Will the thread open up again when wave 2 gets announced so people can talk about how they are feeling?
We could discuss about that here!

Yeah, Shroom Ridge is a killer 200cc track. It feels just right - you need to use the brakes as you turn around the narrow corners, but it never felt too overwhelming once you used that technique.
Yes! This is why I always loved Shroom Ridge. Pure racing and drifting around corners while evading the flow of traffic. MKDS had snaking to keep your top speed going but 200cc surpasses that imo.

After playing Coconut Mall a lot, I can finally day for sure: I miss the parking cars. A lot.

Let's pour one out for the Zelda delay by watching the MK8D 150cc World Record for Hyrule Circuit:

(didn't know there was a channel that posted all the records, that's super cool)

Let's pour one out for the Zelda delay by watching the MK8D 150cc World Record for Hyrule Circuit:

(didn't know there was a channel that posted all the records, that's super cool)

I decided to put this thread on watch last night and the first notification I got for it was this post and this is how I first learned about the Breath of the Wild 2 delay lol.

I decided to put this thread on watch last night and the first notification I got for it was this post and this is how I first learned about the Breath of the Wild 2 delay lol.
dd0.png

Welcome to the Mario Kart thread, happy to have you here. Hoping to still schedule a tournament soon!

I'm honestly not a fan of Hyrule Circuit or the Animal Crossing track, and I don't have high hopes for a "Nintendo Kart" if those courses are the blueprint. It doesn't feel like the use of either of those properties contributes much to Mario Kart, they're both relatively standard courses that have a basic veneer of iconography from their series. The F-Zero courses and Excitebike at least draw from other racing games to incorporate mechanics into Mario Kart, whereas Hyrule Circuit's ideas are "what if you hit switches to drive over a ramp" and "what if the plants and bat enemies looked different," which frankly feel like a disservice to Zelda. I'd rather see more courses like Toad Harbor or Sunshine Airport, where the Mario Kart team does a new setting and adds a handful of Mario references to justify it as a Mario thing, than courses where making the setting convincing as a crossover is the primary intent.

I'm honestly not a fan of Hyrule Circuit or the Animal Crossing track, and I don't have high hopes for a "Nintendo Kart" if those courses are the blueprint. It doesn't feel like the use of either of those properties contributes much to Mario Kart, they're both relatively standard courses that have a basic veneer of iconography from their series. The F-Zero courses and Excitebike at least draw from other racing games to incorporate mechanics into Mario Kart, whereas Hyrule Circuit's ideas are "what if you hit switches to drive over a ramp" and "what if the plants and bat enemies looked different," which frankly feel like a disservice to Zelda. I'd rather see more courses like Toad Harbor or Sunshine Airport, where the Mario Kart team does a new setting and adds a handful of Mario references to justify it as a Mario thing, than courses where making the setting convincing as a crossover is the primary intent.
You're not alone. Hyrule Circuit and Animal Crossing are fine tracks - props to Animal Crossing for its four unique variants and its gorgeous look at the very least - but they're both pretty basic representations of their home franchises. Especially Hyrule Circuit, which has the neat visual of driving through the castle and seeing the Master Sword but not much else that really hooks me. I think you could have wilder, more interesting courses based on Zelda and Animal Crossing, but the courses we did get are pretty safe. And when the Mario original stuff feels so expansive on the Mario universe while still feeling tied to said universe, yeah, I want more of that over safe references to other franchises.

At the very least, if you're gonna give me crossover courses, give me cool as hell stuff like the thrilling F-ZERO tracks or the perfectly fitting Splatoon battle course.

Pretty funny that Tour might end up having the definitive Yoshi Valley layout; they added a halfpipe to one of the turns:

KOBYeop.png

Will be interesting to see what other returning tracks get new halfpipes added in, since the datamined banner implies they'll be coming to 8DX too. We know from the banner that they made the underwater pipe in Koopa Cape a halfpipe, which is extra funny since that's a Wii track which already had halfpipes in other spots.

Pretty funny that Tour might end up having the definitive Yoshi Valley layout; they added a halfpipe to one of the turns:

KOBYeop.png

Will be interesting to see what other returning tracks get new halfpipes added in, since the datamined banner implies they'll be coming to 8DX too. We know from the banner that they made the underwater pipe in Koopa Cape a halfpipe, which is extra funny since that's a Wii track which already had halfpipes in other spots.
I take it the half pipe was in the n64 original?

You're not alone. Hyrule Circuit and Animal Crossing are fine tracks - props to Animal Crossing for its four unique variants and its gorgeous look at the very least - but they're both pretty basic representations of their home franchises. Especially Hyrule Circuit, which has the neat visual of driving through the castle and seeing the Master Sword but not much else that really hooks me. I think you could have wilder, more interesting courses based on Zelda and Animal Crossing, but the courses we did get are pretty safe. And when the Mario original stuff feels so expansive on the Mario universe while still feeling tied to said universe, yeah, I want more of that over safe references to other franchises.

At the very least, if you're gonna give me crossover courses, give me cool as hell stuff like the thrilling F-ZERO tracks or the perfectly fitting Splatoon battle course.
I do agree, but these tracks are dlc one offs. If we had a whole game with this concept, we would get a lot crazier designs.

I definitely agree with where you're coming from. Not sure I'd say I like the F-Zero tracks more than the Zelda or Animal Crossing ones, but for sure the crossover stuff is a bit weird. Something that I always have mixed feelings on is the Zelda track in particular - the way it looks is almost like one of those "Zelda in Unreal Engine 4" demos, with the fairly flat lighting and not really trying to preserve any of Zelda's artstyles at all. It's interesting to see in a Hyrule Warriors kind of way, where a completely different team has to interpret the universe of the series and how it should look, which is why I sort of like it, but it's also ... kind of off-putting at times, lol.

Mario Kart 8's original DLC, in my opinion, is kind of inconsistent anyways. The two F-Zero tracks and Neo Bowser City kind of blend into one another in my mind, like they're visually distinct but they have a very similar futuristic sci-fi concept going on. The Animal Crossing and Zelda tracks are good, definitely above average for the game, but not great. And then of course there's Ribbon Road ... I honestly hate that track because for a while I used a bike combination which made me always fall off even on 150cc lol. Of course, the DLC also gave us some of the best tracks in the game and some of the best in Mario Kart history, like the returning SNES Rainbow Road or Wario's Gold Mine, or new tracks like Wild Woods and Excite Bike (and honestly I love Super Bell Subway just as much!).

As for the booster course, I haven't picked up the DLC yet because I'm a fraud and have just been mooching off the fact that they're free in matchmaking, which means I haven't been able to play all the tracks because of the randomness of the voting system.

I'll say so far the one track that really, really impresses me is Ninja Hideaway! Not an uncommon opinion but the 2 or 3 times I raced on it I loved it (and did fairly well which might contribute to me liking it :p). It also is the best looking track by far, the way the visuals are composed you almost don't notice the less complex graphics of the Booster Course visual style.

Edit: Forgot to add that the track reminds me so much of Origami King, which is always a good thing!

Potential Ukraine Charity Tournament w/ Pipeline - Need Branding/Promo Material!
Cross-posting from the general thread:
Hey folks, we’re in talks with Pipeline to collaborate on a Mario Kart tournament to raise money for Ukraine. I’m currently looking to see if anyone is able to help out with designing some branding/promotional material, like a logo and flyer for social media. If anyone is interested, please send me a DM!
If we got anyone up for doing some branding/promo material, send WestEgg a DM!

888th Famiboards post? Gotta make it in the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe thread!

I played the Golden Dash and Lucky Bell Cups casually with some family. They struggled a bit with the newer courses, and Shroom Ridge was particularly tricky. But it was nice to play in a more relaxed format.

I still haven't gone online with the new courses. Gotta practice these courses in...tougher circumstances at some point.

Whoops; almost forgot to post it here. After being datamined and teased in-game, like, a year ago, the Amsterdam track is finally coming to Tour next week!

That’s one of many leaked courses to cross off the list.

Whoops; almost forgot to post it here. After being datamined and teased in-game, like, a year ago, the Amsterdam track is finally coming to Tour next week!

That’s one of many leaked courses to cross off the list.

Haha in typical cartoon fashion nothing in that postcard is from Amsterdam :p, but just stereotypical Dutch (I guess many tullips were shipped from it during the 17th century i guess).

I mean i dont mind, love to have my country in a Nintendo game, but if the badge wasnt leaked i would say this is a general ''Holland'' Tour :p

Haha in typical cartoon fashion nothing in that postcard is from Amsterdam :p, but just stereotypical Dutch (I guess many tullips were shipped from it during the 17th century i guess).

I mean i dont mind, love to have my country in a Nintendo game, but if the badge wasnt leaked i would say this is a general ''Holland'' Tour :p
Based on the artwork i'd guess the first variant (or lap when it makes it to 8DX) will mostly take place outside of the city; but future varaints will go into the city proper. The datamined objects for the course were
WindmillMoba, FerryMoba, TrainMoba, TramMoba
so I imagine at least one of the variants will drive right into or past the centraal station. Reminds me a lot of Vancouver; based on the postcard alone you wouldn't even know the city was part of that track at all!

MKT_Vancouver_Tour_launch_artwork.jpg

Based on the artwork i'd guess the first variant (or lap when it makes it to 8DX) will mostly take place outside of the city; but future varaints will go into the city proper. The datamined objects for the course were

so I imagine at least one of the variants will drive right into or past the centraal station. Reminds me a lot of Vancouver; based on the postcard alone you wouldn't even know the city was part of that track at all!

MKT_Vancouver_Tour_launch_artwork.jpg
Volendam and Zaanse schans are closeby Amsterdam so it atleast makes sense yeah

"Northwestern Netherlands Circuit" doesn't have the same ring to it xD .

EDIT: also my rotterdams/twents heart bleeds everytime amsterdam hogs all the attention

Anyone got their wave 2 predictions?
My original prediction for the Booster Pass for the contest was:
Turnip Cup

1. Peach Beach GCN
2. London Loop Tour
3. Frappe Snowland N64
4. Toad's Factory Wii

Propeller Mushroom Cup

1. Daisy Hills 3DS
2. Airship Fortress DS
3. DK Mountain GCN
4. Vancouver Velocity Tour

Since the platforms were datamined and some courses leaked I’m currently:

Turnip

Tour: London Loop
SNES: Mario Circuit 2
N64: Sherbet Land
DS: Waluigi Pinball

Propellor

Tour: Vancouver Velocity
Super Circuit: Sunset Wilds
Wii: Either Koopa Cape or Maple Treeway
???: New Sweets Track

I think the ??? ones are non-city Tour tracks and I think we’ll get Merry Mountain in wave 3 in the Power Moon cup. DK Summit is another leaked and good pick for the Wii slot this pack, but I’m feeling the other two options more.

My original prediction for the Booster Pass for the contest was:
Turnip Cup
1. Peach Beach GCN
2. London Loop Tour
3. Frappe Snowland N64
4. Toad's Factory Wii

Propeller Mushroom Cup

1. Daisy Hills 3DS
2. Airship Fortress DS
3. DK Mountain GCN
4. Vancouver Velocity Tour

Since the platforms were datamined and some courses leaked I’m currently:

Turnip

Tour: London Loop
SNES: Mario Circuit 2
N64: Sherbet Land
DS: Waluigi Pinball

Propellor

Tour: Vancouver Velocity
Super Circuit: Sunset Wilds
Wii: Either Koopa Cape or Maple Treeway
???: New Sweets Track

I think the ??? ones are non-city Tour tracks and I think we’ll get Merry Mountain in wave 3 in the Power Moon cup. DK Summit is another leaked and good pick for the Wii slot this pack, but I’m feeling the other two options more.
Wouldn't Vancouver Velocity makd more sense as a Wave 3 course? Considering that it's a winter themed track.

Wouldn't Vancouver Velocity makd more sense as a Wave 3 course? Considering that it's a winter themed track.
I thought about that, but are they going to put both Vancouver Velocity and Merry Mountain in the same wave? I feel like you’ll want to spread the themes out.

I’m really feeling Power Moon will get New York Minute as the city track as a New Donk City fill in. Rock Cup’s Tour track is open. I thought Los Angeles Laps made sense there, but I’m not committed to it.

I thought about that, but are they going to put both Vancouver Velocity and Merry Mountain in the same wave? I feel like you’ll want to spread the themes out.

I’m really feeling Power Moon will get New York Minute as the city track as a New Donk City fill in. Rock Cup’s Tour track is open. I thought Los Angeles Laps made sense there, but I’m not committed to it.
There's always Wave 6 as well. I'm thinking Los Angeles Laps and Sydney Sprint are the two Tour courses for Wave 2, with that sweets course being the unknown course as you said. Then New York Minute and Vancouver Velocity would be Wave 3.

I have a theory that Amsterdam Drift is going to be in the Turnip Cup for Wave 2 because the Amsterdam Tour is introducing a Turnip reskin of the Carrot Kart.
unknown.png

More footage of Amsterdam from the App Store trailer:

Seems like a decently large track, and this is only the first route. Keep in mind that any clips with the red chainwire platforms are from a trick variant, not how the base course is like. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together when all the routes are combined in 8DX though!

Hey a new Mii Racing Suit, too.

Paging @Nabbit for this one.

Thank you Volcanic! I like it and I especially like the part where she races past Nabbit. Sure hope we can get Nabbit in the next Mario Kart FRFR!

BTW, this is off-topic but I meant to encourage you to play Origami King when you mentioned it the other day. As a Mario superfan I'm pretty sure you'd love it!

Thank you Volcanic! I like it and I especially like the part where she races past Nabbit. Sure hope we can get Nabbit in the next Mario Kart FRFR!

BTW, this is off-topic but I meant to encourage you to play Origami King when you mentioned it the other day. As a Mario superfan I'm pretty sure you'd love it!
Nabbit warrants a spot for sure. He should make more spinoff appearances in general. It's kinda wild that he maybe Pom Pom are the only characters from the 3DS/Wii U era of Mario to really stick around. Sure you get the enemies here and there, but in terms of prominent roles, it boils down to those two. No more cursory glances at the Green Sprixie Princess, lol.

As for Origami King, it's on my "I really should just buy and play it at some point but I haven't yet" category. Part of it is the fact that I actually watched (and co-commentated) a friend of mine playing the game on Twitch, so I kinda experienced the full game in a sense already. The other is the fact that I want to give an earnest shot to Sticker Star (I tried a decade ago. Maybe time and different expectations will soften things) and Color Splash (I own it but never actually opened it) first. I've been playing a lot of longer games this year, RPG playthroughs and replaythroughs. What's a few adventure games thrown into the mix, I suppose?

Back
Top Bottom