• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Thank you for this!! I made some edits.

I completely forgot about the Booster Course banner... 😅

I actually had no idea the ripped tracks were placed for specific cups, after they stopped going in order and there was holes missing, I sort of just guessed the rest so thank you!!
No problem! Overall, this is some really solid predictions.

Only just now realizing that I never really gave my thoughts on the datamined tracks. Only talking about Wave 3 here, since everything beyond that was already leaked.
  • Tour London Loop was inevitable, so we might as well get it out of the way. Definitely the least inspiring Tour track remaining, although I'm guessing they'll add something in to try and spice it up a little, similar to the Thwomps in Tokyo Blur. The routing should be pretty simple, but after what they did with Sydney Sprint, anything is on the table.
  • DS Peach Gardens makes sense for all the reasons why people thought Delfino Square might show up (which it still very well could). Both tracks showed up in DS and Wii, by far the two most popular games outside of 8 Deluxe. Will probably be received rather positively overall.
  • GBA Boo Lake/Broken Pier makes all the sense in the world retrospectively. They've really been branching out with the GBA tracks, and I've never quite bought into the idea that we would get any of the Ghost Valley tracks. Either one of these will be a nice compromise to that, and should continue the trend of GBA tracks in the BCP being nice palette cleansers in comparison to the higher effort tracks.
  • 3DS Rock Rock Mountain in the Rock Cup is a lovely match, although I can't imagine that factored in much considering it has a different name in other regions. Still though, another great cup finisher, and if they can clean up the visuals to match something akin to Mushroom Gorge, then it should look really damn good.
  • Tour Berlin Byways is definitely a step up from London Loop, but it's still not a particularly inspiring choice. Very curious to see the routing, as there isn't really a clear path for it. Could get pretty messy like Sydney Sprint does. Also very excited for the music, easily my favorite Tour track in that regard.
  • GCN Waluigi Stadium coming so soon after Waluigi Pinball is a bit of a surprise, but certainly a welcome one. People will be disappointed that it's not Wario Colosseum, but this track is still plenty of fun in its own right. Very curious to see how it looks too, considering the overhaul it seemingly got based on the banner leak.
  • Merry Mountain makes sense, assuming Wave 3 is a Q4 release. My only experience with it is through custom tracks on Mario Kart Wii, in which I enjoyed it fine enough. Certainly not a blockbuster track by any means, but it's still quite a bit of fun, and that downhill finish kicks ass.
  • 3DS Rainbow Road is the best track in the franchise, finally making its debut in the best game of the franchise. Absolutely cannot wait for this one. They don't even need to change it much, just having it in the game is enough.
As for the additional unknown tracks, taking into account the banner and ignoring any unknown Tour/New tracks, these are my predictions:
  • I've talked about the SNES tracks in this thread before, but I'm gonna double down on that and say we finally get SNES Bowser's Castle. They've been adhering to what's currently in Tour much less than we thought they would so far, and we currently don't have anything Bowser related outside of Bowser's Castle. Would be cool to finally get one of these.
  • Similarly, we don't have any beach tracks up to this point. The final GBA track can cover this pretty well with GBA Cheep Cheep Island.
  • The easiest bet of the three GCN tracks is GCN Daisy Cruiser. Fan favorite track, already in Tour, feels inevitable.
  • I'll also say we get GCN Mushroom City as another traffic based track. Probably won't show up until the final wave, considering that we're getting 3 Tour tracks in Waves 4 and 5, which would be an overload of city themed tracks.
  • Finally, GCN DK Mountain is another fan favorite, likely due to its presence in Wii.
  • DS Airship Fortress is another one that feels like a fairly easy prediction on paper. Huge fan favorite track, and we've only got one more DS track remaining.
  • If the prefixes hold, then Wii Rainbow Road is an incredibly easy choice to pencil in. Nothing else could feasibly finish out the Spiny Cup.
And finally, inserting the leaked tracks and putting everything together:
  • Berry Cup
    • Tour Amsterdam Drift
    • Wii Koopa Cape
    • DS Airship Fortress
    • ???
  • Boomerang Cup
    • Tour Singapore Speedway
    • GCN DK Mountain
    • GBA Cheep Cheep Island
    • Tour Los Angeles Laps
  • Feather Cup
    • Tour ???
    • Wii DK Summit
    • GBA Sunset Wilds
    • Tour ???
  • Cherry Cup
    • Tour Bangkok Rush
    • GCN Daisy Cruiser
    • SNES Bowser's Castle
    • ???
  • Acorn Cup
    • Tour Vancouver Velocity
    • Wii Maple Treeway
    • ???
    • ???
  • Spiny Cup
    • Tour ???
    • GCN Mushroom City
    • ???
    • Wii Rainbow Road

Only just now realizing that I never really gave my thoughts on the datamined tracks. Only talking about Wave 3 here, since everything beyond that was already leaked.
  • Tour London Loop was inevitable, so we might as well get it out of the way. Definitely the least inspiring Tour track remaining, although I'm guessing they'll add something in to try and spice it up a little, similar to the Thwomps in Tokyo Blur. The routing should be pretty simple, but after what they did with Sydney Sprint, anything is on the table.
  • DS Peach Gardens makes sense for all the reasons why people thought Delfino Square might show up (which it still very well could). Both tracks showed up in DS and Wii, by far the two most popular games outside of 8 Deluxe. Will probably be received rather positively overall.
  • GBA Boo Lake/Broken Pier makes all the sense in the world retrospectively. They've really been branching out with the GBA tracks, and I've never quite bought into the idea that we would get any of the Ghost Valley tracks. Either one of these will be a nice compromise to that, and should continue the trend of GBA tracks in the BCP being nice palette cleansers in comparison to the higher effort tracks.
  • 3DS Rock Rock Mountain in the Rock Cup is a lovely match, although I can't imagine that factored in much considering it has a different name in other regions. Still though, another great cup finisher, and if they can clean up the visuals to match something akin to Mushroom Gorge, then it should look really damn good.
  • Tour Berlin Byways is definitely a step up from London Loop, but it's still not a particularly inspiring choice. Very curious to see the routing, as there isn't really a clear path for it. Could get pretty messy like Sydney Sprint does. Also very excited for the music, easily my favorite Tour track in that regard.
  • GCN Waluigi Stadium coming so soon after Waluigi Pinball is a bit of a surprise, but certainly a welcome one. People will be disappointed that it's not Wario Colosseum, but this track is still plenty of fun in its own right. Very curious to see how it looks too, considering the overhaul it seemingly got based on the banner leak.
  • Merry Mountain makes sense, assuming Wave 3 is a Q4 release. My only experience with it is through custom tracks on Mario Kart Wii, in which I enjoyed it fine enough. Certainly not a blockbuster track by any means, but it's still quite a bit of fun, and that downhill finish kicks ass.
  • 3DS Rainbow Road is the best track in the franchise, finally making its debut in the best game of the franchise. Absolutely cannot wait for this one. They don't even need to change it much, just having it in the game is enough.
As for the additional unknown tracks, taking into account the banner and ignoring any unknown Tour/New tracks, these are my predictions:
  • I've talked about the SNES tracks in this thread before, but I'm gonna double down on that and say we finally get SNES Bowser's Castle. They've been adhering to what's currently in Tour much less than we thought they would so far, and we currently don't have anything Bowser related outside of Bowser's Castle. Would be cool to finally get one of these.
  • Similarly, we don't have any beach tracks up to this point. The final GBA track can cover this pretty well with GBA Cheep Cheep Island.
  • The easiest bet of the three GCN tracks is GCN Daisy Cruiser. Fan favorite track, already in Tour, feels inevitable.
  • I'll also say we get GCN Mushroom City as another traffic based track. Probably won't show up until the final wave, considering that we're getting 3 Tour tracks in Waves 4 and 5, which would be an overload of city themed tracks.
  • Finally, GCN DK Mountain is another fan favorite, likely due to its presence in Wii.
  • DS Airship Fortress is another one that feels like a fairly easy prediction on paper. Huge fan favorite track, and we've only got one more DS track remaining.
  • If the prefixes hold, then Wii Rainbow Road is an incredibly easy choice to pencil in. Nothing else could feasibly finish out the Spiny Cup.
And finally, inserting the leaked tracks and putting everything together:
  • Berry Cup
    • Tour Amsterdam Drift
    • Wii Koopa Cape
    • DS Airship Fortress
    • ???
  • Boomerang Cup
    • Tour Singapore Speedway
    • GCN DK Mountain
    • GBA Cheep Cheep Island
    • Tour Los Angeles Laps
  • Feather Cup
    • Tour ???
    • Wii DK Summit
    • GBA Sunset Wilds
    • Tour ???
  • Cherry Cup
    • Tour Bangkok Rush
    • GCN Daisy Cruiser
    • SNES Bowser's Castle
    • ???
  • Acorn Cup
    • Tour Vancouver Velocity
    • Wii Maple Treeway
    • ???
    • ???
  • Spiny Cup
    • Tour ???
    • GCN Mushroom City
    • ???
    • Wii Rainbow Road
Interesting....if they really don't put Wario coliseum in a mario kart game freaking themed after anti-gravity I'm going to frown for days

similar to the Thwomps in Tokyo Blur.
Those were always there in Tour. London likewise has some Chain Chomps in some parts for the Mario flair.

I’m surprised they didn’t throw any enemies into Sydney Sprint considering they added Goombas to New York Minute; but I guess the length of the course was enough to make it stand out. All of the other released cities have Mario enemy obstacles somewhere on them too:
  • Vancouver: Skating Shy Guy
  • Los Angeles: Sidestepper
  • Berlin: Whomp
  • Singapore: Floaty Goomba
  • Amsterdam: Monty Mole
  • Bangkok: Inky Piranha Plant
So New York and Sydney used to be odd ones out, and now in 8DX it'll be just Sydney. Well I guess Sydney in Tour technically had passerbys throwing bob-ombs (and bananas and mushrooms) onto the bridge, but that was removed in 8DX in favor of the trick ramps.

Those were always there in Tour. London likewise has some Chain Chomps in some parts for the Mario flair.

I’m surprised they didn’t throw any enemies into Sydney Sprint considering they added Goombas to New York Minute; but I guess the length of the course was enough to make it stand out. All of the other released cities have Mario enemy obstacles somewhere on them too:
  • Vancouver: Skating Shy Guy
  • Los Angeles: Sidestepper
  • Berlin: Whomp
  • Singapore: Floaty Goomba
  • Amsterdam: Monty Mole
  • Bangkok: Inky Piranha Plant
So New York and Sydney used to be odd ones out, and now in 8DX it'll be just Sydney. Well I guess Sydney in Tour technically had passerbys throwing bob-ombs (and bananas and mushrooms) onto the bridge, but that was removed in 8DX in favor of the trick ramps.
They actually removed the Goomba obstacles in Paris Promenade but kept the large Piranha Plant (I guess the Goombas migrated to North America).

Another promotion of the Booster Course Pass in Mario Kart Tour just like the Samurai Tour when Ninja Hideaway returned.
unknown.png

Since it seems that there is a common trend of a Tour non-city nitro being introduced/returning the first Wednesday after a Wave's release with that non-city nitro present in the Wave of the Booster Course Pass (Ninja Hideaway in Wave 1, March 18th 2022 and returned to Mario Kart Tour in the Samurai Tour on March 23rd 2022 and Sky-High Sundae in Wave 2, August 4th 2022 and was introduced to Mario Kart Tour in the Sundae Tour on August 10th 2022), I am guessing Wave 3 will release the week prior to Merry Mountain's return to Mario Kart Tour so we can use the previous 2 winter/holiday related Tours that had Merry Mountain to try and figure out when Wave 3 could release. So, Merry Mountain debuted in the 2020 Winter Tour which started on December 2nd and returned for the 2021 Holiday Tour which started on December 1st, if you look at the calendar, you'll see that this year's Holiday/Winter Tour should start on November 30th 2022 so Wave 3 for the Booster Course Pass should be during the week prior (November 21st to 25th).

Let's take this even further: there is a datamined Yoshi's Island nitro for Tour which is speculated to launch for the 2023 Yoshi Tour (Yoshi Tours are annual and are always around Easter) and also be in Wave 4 since that would be around Easter time and launch in a similar manner to Sky-High Sundae (8 Deluxe first then Tour in the first Wednesday after the Wave's launch), the 2020 Yoshi Tour started on April 8th and ended April 22nd (Easter was on April 12th), the 2021 Yoshi Tour started on March 24th and ended April 7th (Easter was on the 4th), and the 2022 Yoshi Tour started on April 6th and ended April 20th (Easter was on the 17th). Due to this timing, we can decipher that the Yoshi Tour always encapsulates Easter so using the 2023 date of Easter (April 9th), the 2023 Yoshi Tour should start on April 5th (34 weeks from now, even number of weeks so the timing lines up since Tours are 2 weeks long) which then also means Wave 4 will probably launch the week prior (March 27th to 31st).

TLDR: Wave 3 might be during November 21st to 25th and Wave 4 might be during March 27th to 31st.

Last edited:
Wave 2 Poll Now Up!
New poll is up - choose your favorite Wave 2 course! Make sure to change your vote if you voted in the first poll. I didn't get to delete the old poll results.

...unrelated, but I find it funny how the "Nitro" term has stuck for new courses in Mario Kart fandom thanks to its usage in MKDS despite that just being a reference to the DS's code name, lol.

Put some thought into my vote and I think my favourite this wave is Sydney Sprint.

Changed my vote from Ninja Hideaway from Wave 1 to Sydney Sprint in Wave 2 as well. Just a really fun racing adventure through Sydney. Lots of technical curves, fun sights, and great music. <3

OK lets do a neat activity: Lets try to guess characters that are going to be used for the 150cc and 200cc Staff Ghosts for Wave 3!
I'll start!
Tour London Loop:
150cc - Daisy
200cc - Villager (Male)

DS Peach Gardens:
150cc - Cat Peach
200cc - Wendy

GBA Boo Lake/Broken Pier:
150cc - King Boo
200cc - Luigi

3DS Rock Rock Mountain:
150cc - Lakitu
200cc - Metal Mario

Tour Berlin Byways
150cc - Ludwig
200cc - Larry

GCN Waluigi Stadium
150cc - Waluigi
200cc - Donkey Kong

Merry Mountain
150cc - Bowser
200cc - Mario

3DS Rainbow Road
150cc - Rosalina
200cc - Pink Gold Peach

Voted for Mario Circuit 3, it's a blast to race on that course.

However, the vote could change each day. I like almost every course. The two that I find the most "meh" are Sky-High Sundae and Kalimari Desert, the others could all be my "favourite" for that day.

Today it's MC3!

Thinking the next pack might be very soon because of that one time Nintendo choose to bookended their E3 with two Smash character reveals seems... rather optimistic
It will certainly be sooner than the Wave 1-to-Wave 2 wait, but I think mid-to-late-November/first week of December is almost as safe a bet as Merry Mountain's inclusion as the next "new" track.

The trend seems to be one "New" track per batch, so because the last cups are so far off I'm going to make a small prediction that they're still in the planning stages for that one (at least when the first batch dropped / when we got the data-mined game tag hints).
I am of the same mindset. I would certainly welcome two more new courses than what I expect, but assumed they just hadn't locked down Wave 6 when Wave 1 released.

I LOVE your selections of Airship Fortress and Shy Guy Bazaar and truly hope we get those two. I hope, somehow, N64 Koopa Troopa Beach and GCN Rainbow Road are the "extra" Wave 6 blank spaces, though.

Can't help but wonder if there will be a MK9 in the next 5 years.
Definitely seems like the same situation as Smash.
Nintendo releasing DLC that's worthy a game+DLC of content 5 years after the game launched(8 years after the original launched) makes me lean towards no.

Drake being backwards compatible will make Mario Kart 8 Deluxe its Mario Kart too, as both people that currently own Switch and make the jump will have it, and newcomers will buy it.

I don't see a scenario where they go berserk like this releasing DLC 5 years after the game released just so they release a brand new game the next year after the DLC is done(like, DLC until late 2023 and a brand new game spring 2024 sounds insane to me, and I use to be quite optimistic on release dates - I was among the people thinking Zelda was 2021 lol).

At this point I think they can go the route of the GaaS games and releasing a big update alongside another paid expansion that makes the game another entry in all but name.

Dream case scenario to me:
After wave 6 releases holiday 2023, they announce a new booster pass that also includes new characters and more new tracks, maybe instead of a 6 wave pack they go with individual 2 cup packs like the Wii U DLC was handled.
The date the paid expansion is released also comes with a big free update that includes something major like a new game mode(story/mission/campaign please) - the way that the last free update + Happy Home Paradise was in ACNH.
I think a second season of DLC, each wave being cross over like the Wii U would be great - a wave with Samus, a Metroid course and the other tracks mixing old and new; then a wave of Kirby, F-Zero, etc.

Nintendo releasing DLC that's worthy a game+DLC of content 5 years after the game launched(8 years after the original launched) makes me lean towards no.

Drake being backwards compatible will make Mario Kart 8 Deluxe its Mario Kart too, as both people that currently own Switch and make the jump will have it, and newcomers will buy it.

I don't see a scenario where they go berserk like this releasing DLC 5 years after the game released just so they release a brand new game the next year after the DLC is done(like, DLC until late 2023 and a brand new game spring 2024 sounds insane to me, and I use to be quite optimistic on release dates - I was among the people thinking Zelda was 2021 lol).

At this point I think they can go the route of the GaaS games and releasing a big update alongside another paid expansion that makes the game another entry in all but name.

Dream case scenario to me:
After wave 6 releases holiday 2023, they announce a new booster pass that also includes new characters and more new tracks, maybe instead of a 6 wave pack they go with individual 2 cup packs like the Wii U DLC was handled.
The date the paid expansion is released also comes with a big free update that includes something major like a new game mode(story/mission/campaign please) - the way that the last free update + Happy Home Paradise was in ACNH.
I think a second season of DLC, each wave being cross over like the Wii U would be great - a wave with Samus, a Metroid course and the other tracks mixing old and new; then a wave of Kirby, F-Zero, etc.
This is gonna be a hot take, but I really hope they do this instead of MK9.

Yeah, I don’t buy the idea that Nintendo won’t make a new Mario Kart for their next system. No matter how well MK8D sells, it will eventually reach a point where a new Mario Kart’s sales potential is too high to ignore.

I think the more likely idea is that they frame the next game as something different enough that it can sell alongside MK8D, rather than outright replacing it.

Yeah, I don’t buy the idea that Nintendo won’t make a new Mario Kart for their next system. No matter how well MK8D sells, it will eventually reach a point where a new Mario Kart’s sales potential is too high to ignore.

I think the more likely idea is that they frame the next game as something different enough that it can sell alongside MK8D, rather than outright replacing it.
Maybe we'll get another Mario Kart game three or four years into the Switch 2 lifespan. No way it's there at NSW2 launch (probably in 2024).

This is gonna be a hot take, but I really hope they do this instead of MK9.
Tbh me too lol. I was happy we got Booster Course Pass, and I would really like another pass/updates/expansion. Mainly because if they have another game and it's next gen Switch exclusive I'll not play it as I can't afford making the jump, while if they keep supporting MK8DX and NSO+EP includes the passes, I'll be able to play it as soon as it arrives. Also, let's face it, MK8DX is flawless machanics/gameplay-wise, expanding it is only ever good. A new Mario Kart can either not be as good or be so interactive we'll ask ourselves why it wasn't DLC.

Maybe we'll get another Mario Kart game three or four years into the Switch 2 lifespan. No way it's there at NSW2 launch (probably in 2024).

The only way I see a brand new game happening in the near future (2024/2025) is if it's different enough to keep selling alongside 8DX(story mode? New tracks only with new mechanic instead of anti-gravity? Maybe space racing like the dream of Star Fox Gran-Prix?) and is also cross-gen - I think its full potential as a brand new Mario Kart game will be it selling both to the 130m+ user base of current Switch and to the people that will buy Switch Pro/2 to play it.

Mario Kart 8 Ultimate:
  • Base game tracks
  • Booster Course tracks
  • Ultimate Course tracks (New Donk City, Splatsville, Everbay Coast, Spocco Square, Wuhu Loop, Shy Guy Bazaar, Toad Factory, Wario Colosseum)
  • Base game battle courses
  • Ultimate Battle courses (Rainbow Rumble, Wooded Kingdom)
  • New characters (Kirby, Cap Cuttlefish, Zelda, Pauline, Sportsmate)
  • New karts from Mario Kart Tour
  • Double Dash Mode
Available for 70 bucks separately for Switch 2 (including 90FPS 4K) or as a 20 dollar upgrade for existing players. Launch title for Switch 2.

Mario Circuit 3 deserves more votes imo. Visually not the most exciting but it's a lot of fun to race around, more than some others in wave 2 that do look more striking such as New York, that are still good tracks.

Snow Land is my fave and Kalimari is the weakest for me, it's not good for drifting around compared to the others.

Apparently a hot take: Mario Circuit 3 isn’t all that fun to race on, regardless of the visuals. I’d rather race on any of the other flat/simple tracks.

Mario Circuit 3 deserves more votes imo. Visually not the most exciting but it's a lot of fun to race around, more than some others in wave 2 that do look more striking such as New York, that are still good tracks.

Snow Land is my fave and Kalimari is the weakest for me, it's not good for drifting around compared to the others.
It’s mostly a hold over from the previous poll where that second choice was Toad Circuit. We need a full poll reset.

I played through some of the tracks in Tour that will likely end up in in the Booster Pass and I've to say I hope they will do a lot of rework for the 3DS Rainbow Road. In Tour that track looks really off visually. It looks much better on the 3DS. Especially the planets and the skybox. Otherwise the layout seems to be about the same so at least it will be fun to drive. 200ccm will make this one of the hardest tracks in the game.

Sky-High Sundae is bursting with early 90´s Disney charm, from the coloring to the music. The aesthetics also feel very close to KH: Birth By Sleep´s Disney Town world.

I really love the vibe of it

I feel exactly the same. Mario Circuit 3 is a blast to drive around, Snow Land is great, and Kalimari Desert feels like the track design isn't very good, it's very clunky.

I love that were getting lots of older, simpler tracks because despite the basic visuals, they tend to flow really well and are a lot of fun. O find myself preferring them over most of the MK8 original tracks these days (apart from the original DLC ones).

MC3 is god-tier. it's a bagging fest but it's classic Mario Kart as i like it, no bells and whistles just lots of tight corners and loads of areas you can boost over. i can't even think of another track with so much off-road you can cut besides Dry Dry Desert or perhaps the new Kalamari.

I do enjoy MC3. It's just an extremely strong, no frills course. Just good turns and lots of room to take shortcuts. I just enjoy Sydney Sprint more, ya know?

Finally cleared the Propeller Cup on 150cc, 200cc, and Mirror. My thoughts:

Sydney Sprint - Not really much of a sprint considering the length, but it's a far more dynamic course than the other city tours in MK8DX. Paris and New York feel a little too formulaic in their course designs, but Sydney is much more interesting. Easy to see why this is many people's favorite.

Snow Land - A much better showing for a GBA course in the DLC than Sky Garden. The routing and elevation are interesting to drive, the penguins and moving item boxes make the course feel very lively, and the 180° degree turn around the ice is a great touch.

Mushroom Gorge - Not a big fan of the bounce mushroom physics in this game, though it probably doesn't help that I played this as Pink Gold Peach. Feels like the mushroom arrangement in the cave gets worse every time they change it.

Sky-High Sundae - Eh. I don't hate it, but there's only so much you can do with a simple circuit layout, and the trick spam eventually gets a little old without any real hazards to watch for. Reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog in a lot of ways for reasons I can't really describe.

Last edited:
just had a go at the time trial for Sydney earlier and it's extremely hard. because you've got three unique laps there's loads stuff to learn & a bunch of cuts and stuff you can mess up in lap 2. not for the faint hearted!

Back
Top Bottom