• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Wow, Yoshi’s Island. Talk about incredible. I’ll always be a 3DS Rainbow Road and Wii Maple Treeway simp, but even though I still prefer those, Yoshi’s Island is easily the highlight of the whole DLC so far. Talk about love.

Damn Singapore might be the best city track in the game (until Vancouver), remix is amazing and the variety/colors is really nice, Waluigi Stadium is great as well, I like the addition of the anti-grav sections you can only reach by doing halfpipes. Honestly pretty amazing wave both visually and gameplay wise, weakest ones are probably Riverside Park and Amsterdam.

Yoshi Track is by far the most polished DLC course. I really like the unique mechanic at the end.

Those two cups are really good. Almost on par with the base game. Visually every track looks great and even the City tracks are pretty unique this time. The only nitpick I have so far is that green shells seem to behave really weird on the half pipes of DK Summit.

IMG_0812.png
N64 Dry Dry Desert lmao

Way too early thoughts.
  • Amsterdam was fun. I've always liked it more than most, and I enjoyed it here as well.
  • Riverside looks wonderful, but it's definitely another GBA track. Feels like a spiritual successor to Donut Plains 3 almost.
  • DK Summit is DK Summit. It's great, of course it's great.
  • Yoshi's Island is phenomenal.
  • Bangkok was...fine? Obviously I need to play it a lot more, but it felt kinda blah the first time around. I dunno, maybe I just missed something, but it's my early contender for least favorite city track in the wave.
  • Mario Circuit is one heck of a nostalgia bomb. Good, clean fun.
  • Waluigi Stadium felt a bit too big for my liking. I don't remember the straightaways being as uneventful as they are here. Maybe that's just the nostalgia goggles, but I could've sworn it was shorter before. But looking at the staff ghosts, apparently not. Maybe this one will grow on me more too.
  • Singapore is definitely my favorite city of the wave, but I think I still prefer Berlin. Probably my #2 though.

I feel like Diddy, Funky, and Petey should be a lock now imo, Pauline feels very likely as well now.

5 more? Diddy, Funky, Petey, Pauline and Kamek.
I'm not super well-informed on Mario Kart characters, but is the idea that Pauline would be added because Nintendo/people like her and she's already in Tour? Nintendo's specific phrasing is "Characters from past Mario Kart games are on the way!" and it's hard for me to consider Mario Kart Tour a "past" game, given 8 vs. Tour's release dates. But I also know the Booster Course Pass hasn't exactly been faithful to the idea that it's "remastered courses" given the "new" courses that have debuted in the Booster Course Pass and now the characters, too.

I agree that Pauline makes a lot of sense for Nintendo in 2023. I'm just curious how people make that make sense with what Nintendo has said or if people don't consider their marketing language a strict rule.

I'm not super well-informed on Mario Kart characters, but is the idea that Pauline would be added because Nintendo/people like her and she's already in Tour? Nintendo's specific phrasing is "Characters from past Mario Kart games are on the way!" and it's hard for me to consider Mario Kart Tour a "past" game, given 8 vs. Tour's release dates. But I also know the Booster Course Pass hasn't exactly been faithful to the idea that it's "remastered courses" given the "new" courses that have debuted in the Booster Course Pass and now the characters, too.

I agree that Pauline makes a lot of sense for Nintendo in 2023. I'm just curious how people make that make sense with what Nintendo has said or if people don't consider their marketing language a strict rule.
They said past tracks from Mario Kart titles are being added when the DLC was announced and we are getting Tour tracks, if we are to get a character that debuted in Tour it'll be Pauline

DK Summit and Waluigi Stadium are both such great courses for the blue zippers. Really great to see both of them here to rep Wii's course gimmick

That was awesome! Yoshi’s Island and Singapore are my early favorites for the new to me courses. Happy to have DK Summit and Waluigi Stadium back! Going to be playing this a lot today and will share more detailed thoughts later.

Bangkok and Amsterdam are graphically pretty bad (Bangkok especially, all the buildings look like plastic and have a weird shine), but Singapore is the best city course in the DLC so far. Great music and layout! Both cups start out bad and gradually build to S-Tier tracks. I'm super mixed on this wave.

They said past tracks from Mario Kart titles are being added when the DLC was announced and we are getting Tour tracks, if we are to get a character that debuted in Tour it'll be Pauline
That makes sense. I went back to their old announcement video and the language I kept seeing them use was "remastered," which I could see being inclusive of Tour. However, I didn't check the press release language to see if the phrase "past games" showed up there. And regardless of the wording used, I don't know that anyone can really say a course like Yoshi's Island is remastered when it debuts first in MK8D. So I totally get the argument that Nintendo has historically been loose with the definitions they provide. I do agree Pauline seems like a great and solid candidate.

No offense, but I kind of hope not.
I know it’s not likely to be a popular opinion with how much people hate Sportsmates around here, but anything else is going to look ridiculous being at the far right end of the bottom row with all the guest characters after the Mii icon. 🤷

Bangkok and Amsterdam are graphically pretty bad (Bangkok especially, all the buildings look like plastic and have a weird shine), but Singapore is the best city course in the DLC so far. Great music and layout! Both cups start out bad and gradually build to S-Tier tracks. I'm super mixed on this wave.
Again, disagree. All the tracks look really good.

I don't play Tour but I found the Tour maps pretty fun in this wave. Yoshis Island is the highlight but all the console maps were good choices in this wave.

Feels weird going through DS Mario Circuit and not having to worry about my hands hurting because snaking 24/7 😂

I am very happy they chose this one though!

gotta hand it to the Tour tracks, they don't suck nearly as badly as the previous ones

I know it’s not likely to be a popular opinion with how much people hate Sportsmates around here, but anything else is going to look ridiculous being at the far right end of the bottom row with all the guest characters after the Mii icon. 🤷
I wouldn't mind a guest character, but I'd pick someone else, personally. To keep it to EPD-created franchises, maybe like...Samus or something? Or to keep the returning character theme, how about R.O.B.?

Quoted by: Tye
I wouldn't mind a guest character, but I'd pick someone else, personally. To keep it to EPD-created franchises, maybe like...Samus or something? Or to keep the returning character theme, how about R.O.B.?
How is R.O.B. gonna work with bikes? XD

Honestly, I think of all other potential non-Mario EPD characters, Sportsmate fits in Mario Kart the best, especially alongside characters like Villager and Inkling. (Though I’d love to see Toon Link and think he’d work way better than SS/BotW Link, but that ship has sailed, unfortunately.)

Amsterdam is a nice little track, good opener for the cup. The city tracks are getting repetitive, but this one feels pleasant to drive in, the underwater sections are cool, and its visual make it more distinct than other city courses. It's definitely better than stuff like Sidney. I wish the flower camps at the end had better visuals, the flowers kinda look like they're made of paper. Would be a lot more impactful if we got nicer flower models.

Riverside Park is quite bland, honestly. The layout is way too simplified compared to the og on GBA, and aside from avoiding the piranha plants, the track is as straightforward as it could be. The remix of the theme is quite good, though, best part of it for sure.

DK Summit feels weirder to drive on that it did on the Wii. I think it used to be wider? Probably just my impression, since the tracks have gotten wider since the Wii days, buy it feels much smaller than I remember. I'm not a super fan of half pipes, I never quite know when it's more efficient to use them, so it remains a track that feels awkward for me to play. The visuals look nice enough.

Yoshis Island is a delight! So much nostalgia, I loved how they managed to represent each of the level scenarios on it, I think it was only missing the jungle, maybe? The little sounds from the game are so very nostalgic to me. Even though the layout is a bit basic, the track has so much charm and love put into it that it's a blast to play. Looks gorgeous too. Highlight for me was seeing the water monster in the distance on that last flight section, so good!

Bangkok is a great city course! It's unique enough that it could be a Mario universe track, I loved the section with the little boats. The music is also great, I really liked it overall. I think it might be my favorite city course now, but Singapore also packs a punch so I'm still undecided.

Mario Circuit is... Certainly Mario Circuit. I wasn't very excited for this track as others were, it's very basic to me and there are so many other DS tracks they could have brought back instead. Imagine getting Airship Fortress or Delfino Square in this cup, it's really underwhelming to be getting this as the last DS course. But oh well. I guess the track is fine, the fireballs make it a bit more dynamic. Otherwise, it's yet another Mario Circuit.

This was my first time ever playing Waluigi Stadium, I believe (I never played Double Dash except for once when I was high so I have no idea which tracks we played), and it's a good course, I see why it's so loved. It's maybe a bit too wide, and the half pipes very much don't set up how you should approach them, which makes me anxious if I'm being as efficient as possible. They're quite dangerous too, and I still haven't managed to get on that upper platform at the end. Maybe I should just stick with taking the lower road. I'm really not good with half pipes so this cup probably means trouble to me when I go play online lol

Singapore is amazing! The course looks flashy and colorful, it's something special and it does deserve ending the cup. Each lap is also very unique, I was very impressed by how the track just kept throwing new things at me lol Very good. These city track are probably the ones along with Paris where it actually feels like you're in that city. NY doesn't feel like NY at all and I haven't been to Tokyo but I bet that one surely doesn't. The others are hit and miss, but Singapore and Bangkok definitely feel like you're in those places.

Overall it's a good package! This is the first one that doesn't have one of my major favorite returning tracks, but what is new is much better than the last waves.

Last edited:
Amsterdam feels like it falls into the same kind of Tour track pitfall that a lot of the others do where most of the turns are either right angles or wide 180s, which gives it the sense of being designed in a limited level creator. Bangkok and Singapore thankfully managed to avoid this and feel much more natural to drive on

Blehhh, can't get my main SD card fixed so I'm redownloading MK8D on my smaller card and then have to download the update after.

Would love to see ROB back, but I'm setting my expectations at Petey/Diddy/Funky/Pauline/Kamek.
Swap Funky Kong for Hammer Bro (with Boomerang Bro, Fire Bro, and Ice Bro variants) and those are my hopes, I guess. Not necessarily expectations—I’m not quite sure what to expect beyond Diddy Kong, Petey Piranha, and Pauline, really—but hopes, excluding Sportsmate I guess, lol. (Please, please, don’t bring back Funky…)

How is R.O.B. gonna work with bikes? XD

Honestly, I think of all other potential non-Mario EPD characters, Sportsmate fits in Mario Kart the best, especially alongside characters like Villager and Inkling. (Though I’d love to see Toon Link and think he’d work way better than SS/BotW Link, but that ship has sailed, unfortunately.)
King Boo lacks legs and he drives a bike :)

(Maybe he’d be just the stick body and arms?)

This Wave 4...the package just keeps getting better and better.

I'm pretty easy to please with MK8 but I love all of these tracks and how they look.

I want to get this DLC but I have a feeling nintendo will release a "complete" version on their next system

Swap Funky Kong for Hammer Bro (with Boomerang Bro, Fire Bro, and Ice Bro variants) and those are my hopes, I guess. Not necessarily expectations—I’m not quite sure what to expect beyond Diddy Kong, Petey Piranha, and Pauline, really—but hopes, excluding Sportsmate I guess, lol. (Please, please, don’t bring back Funky…)
I’d be astounded if Funky isn’t back. He’s easily the 2nd most popular character not in the game, and even then I think he’s got an argument over Diddy for 1st. Feels like a lock to me.

The music team really outdid themselves with this one, WOW!

Everything about the Yoshi’s Island track is perfection.

why would you want Funky Kong when you could have, like, the 20th fucking turtle enemy

King Boo lacks legs and he drives a bike :)

(Maybe he’d be just the stick body and arms?)
The problem is less so the lack of legs (and honestly that only makes it easier for King Boo’s model to work with bikes, lol) and more so that R.O.B.’s model is just kind of…entirely incompatible with a bike, and I don’t think they’d remove his base.

I’d be astounded if Funky isn’t back. He’s easily the 2nd most popular character not in the game, and even then I think he’s got an argument over Diddy for 1st. Feels like a lock to me.
We’ll see. I don’t hate Funky or the idea of him being in Mario Kart at all since he’s already an established character…but I do hate the idea of him getting in over all the other potential characters we could get when we only have five more left to go. He was essentially a joke character in Wii who is only as popular as he is because he happened to be blessed with good stats and was only added in the first place because he happened to mesh well with the newly added bikes, and had it not been for that I guarantee he would have never been chosen over other Kongs like Dixie or Cranky, and it’s kind of absurd having him in the roster before other characters like that. And while Diddy is extremely likely, I doubt we’re going to get Diddy, Dixie, and Funky, but getting those other two first is the only way I’d be satisfied with his inclusion, though certainly not if we’re only getting six DLC characters (having half of those be Kongs would be silly).

The problem is less so the lack of legs (and honestly that only makes it easier for King Boo’s model to work with bikes, lol) and more so that R.O.B.’s model is just kind of…entirely incompatible with a bike, and I don’t think they’d remove his base.

We’ll see. I don’t hate Funky or the idea of him being in Mario Kart at all since he’s already an established character…but I do hate the idea of him getting in over all the other potential characters we could get when we only have five more left to go. He was essentially a joke character in Wii who is only as popular as he is because he happened to be blessed with good stats and was only added in the first place because he happened to mesh well with the newly added bikes, and had it not been for that I guarantee he would have never been chosen over other Kongs like Dixie or Cranky, and it’s kind of absurd having him in the roster before other characters like that. And while Diddy is extremely likely, I doubt we’re going to get Diddy, Dixie, and Funky, but getting those other two first is the only way I’d be satisfied with his inclusion, though certainly not if we’re only getting six DLC characters (having half of those be Kongs would be silly).
Funky was always a cool character long before he dominated MK Wii.

DK Summit feels weirder to drive on that it did on the Wii. I think it used to be wider? Probably just my impression, since the tracks have gotten wider since the Wii days, buy it feels much smaller than I remember. I'm not a super fan of half pipes, I never quite know when it's more efficient to use them, so it remains a track that feels awkward for me to play. The visuals look nice enough.
Tour in general have a much smaller raceway than past games, and DK Summit was one of the most obvious case there. So even with the upscale to fit 8's twelve drivers it still comes off as smaller than Wii.

Alright my first play through is complete! Here are my thoughts…

Fruit Cup - - -

Amsterdam: felt like a fan track, bad first impression. Buildings varied in art style + quality, the flower models at the end felt so amateur. Yikes. 5/10.

Riverside Park: a bit short, but for a GBA rep it’s quite well done! The little blowing piranha folks elevate it bc too cute. 8/10.

DK Summit: it’s not fair for any course to be compared to Mount Wario, yet… yeah. Better conversation than Maple Treeway (thank the lord) but oddities like the painfully obvious graphical glitch where the halfpipe meets the flat snow and the massive shy guy snowboarders hurt. 6.5/10.

Yoshi’s Island: No notes except f this for making my want for a 3D Yoshi title even stronger. But also bless this for giving us such a beautiful non-craftified modern rendition of Yoshi (I like the crafted games but, I’m ready for more). 9/10

— break to say that riving as a new character after all this time feels amazing, and this game looks as good as ever on the OLED!

Boomerang Cup - - -

Bangkok: Had lots of fun racing this one! Still some rough assets but overall I liked the variety and challenging tight layout. 7.5/10.

Mario Circuit DS: Honestly was impressed by this one! Simple, but well done. I can’t be mad. 7.5/10.

Waluigi Stadium: I really wanted to love this… but I just liked it, and that stings. It’s no doubt gorgeous but again the scale feels off here. The mech piranha plant section felt so tame. I could just be misremembering, but.. eh. 7/10.

Singpore: Whewie!! This was a delight, felt like the Rainbow Road of Tour tracks. I loved it. How big was that check from their tourism department though, Nintendo must be rolling in it lol. 9/10.

Overall, a great wave! The inclusion of a character skews me probably, but 8/10.

Funky was always a cool character long before he dominated MK Wii.
I didn’t say otherwise? But he’s less relevant and less of a main character than other Kongs like Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, etc., so it’s bizarre to see him on the roster of a Mario Kart game (not even a Donkey Kong game, but a Mario game) before Diddy and Dixie. It was weird in Mario Kart Wii, but again, I chalk that up to the developers picking him as the game’s out-of-left-field joke character (à la R.O.B. or Honey Queen) due to fitting the biker aesthetic. But now that Dixie’s been introduced to the series in Tour, it would be incredibly weird to get him in over her.

it feels so good to finally have blue zippers back in a real way after the teases we got last wave. they're such a great mechanic and an absolute joy on 200cc. it's a pipe dream but I kinda wish they'd go back and add them to some of the base game courses, or even just put them back in Wario's Gold Mine

Remind you that 8 did not have Diddy yet. If there's the first DK crew to get in, it's gotta be Diddy.

Back
Top Bottom