• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
150 actually

the right trigger lets you do something called "drifting" and if necessary the b button "brakes"

Look, I know they've been trying out some cool new ideas with these updates and dlc tracks, but something as absurd as a brake button? In Mario Kart? I shan't believe such a thing.

Just remove the "1" from "150" and you're right.
most bizarre cope I've ever seen

you could've easily pointed out that for this to be the case I must think merry mountain is harder, at which point I would have been forced to divulge that it's the only one I got third in

no more target shocks
custom items
gliding fixed on rock rock and peach garde
fixes to layout on peach gardens + lap change

This update rules.
someone mentioned to me there's a change to Boos as well they can steal items from any position now.

you probably have a lot of experience with this
I mean clearly I must have more experience with it than several people in this thread if they think the hardest course is boo lake

put your pride aside, slowing down in a turn is still faster than hitting a wall

I'm not even especially good at boo lake I'm just worse at everything else

maybe your gamer brains can keep up with the changing routes in the tour tracks but I much prefer the clarity of tracks like boo lake

you know every turn, you can see every turn, bing bong wahoo

turns out the Boo only behaves differently in custom mode. shame would have loved for stuff like this to be possible...

Aww, they didn't recreate Rock Rock Mountain's final lap theme properly. It had its own drumbeat intro in the 3DS version.

So glad they have used the gravity mechanics again (guess I need to check the second wave again to remember if they did more than just full antigravity over the whole course). Very clear the first set of tracks had limited development time with how basic it was. Looking forward to the rest of the waves even more now. Haven’t got through all the tracks but can add my thoughts later.

I just realized something. So one of the leaked Tour courses is codenamed MU, right? Some people are assuming that means Mumbai, but if it was, wouldn't that mean we CAN'T get it in MK8D? The last three Tour city courses are almost guaranteed to be Athens, Madrid, and Orlando.

Side note, I will never get why Nintendo chose some of the most random cities to become Mario Kart tracks. Like, New York, London, Tokyo, Paris, Bangkok, Singapore, and Athens make sense. But why Los Angeles (which doesn't even feature Hollywood), Amsterdam, Vancouver (which don't get me wrong, it's my most anticipated course for the rest of the DLC and I adore the region, but why???), and Orlando? Where is Rome? Mexico City? Rio de Janeiro? Cairo? What about Hong Kong, Shanghai, or Seoul? Just weird.

Played through all the courses. Not a fan of Berlin because some of the curbs actually look like they could be drivable transitions. Was bouncing into them a lot. Loving the courses that have the Wii halfpipe jumps. So glad that’s back. Standouts were Maple Treeway, Peach Gardens, and Rainbow Road. Think that Merry Mountain is pretty fun as well but wish the second half hand more a split course design like the first half. Still think wave 2 is better, but might change when I get more playtime.

Further thoughts after a second run:

1) NPCs being freakishly large will always disturb me.
2) Maple Treeway has some frankly ugly graphical touches. The canopies on trees are flat and simplistic looking (a flat texture with white coloured gaps to simulate gaps in the foliage, instead of actual 3D foliage). The trees in the distant background - especially visible when you do the first barrel jump - are also really basic looking and quite ugly.
3) Rainbow Road 3DS looks absolutely spectacular on OLED. 8DX might be my favourite game to play on this screen.

At this moment, I just wished they had waited a few months longer before releasing wave 1. That one sticks out like a sore thumb right now.

The increasing quality of the city tracks also show it off. Compare London or Berlin to Tokyo and Paris. I think if they took a little longer to figure those tracks out, they could've made them a lot more interesting and diverse for MK8DX.

Okay I've played each course once, some early impressions:

-London Loop looks great, but the course itself is nothing impressive, feels samey all the way through. The Chain Chomps are the most exciting thing happening which is telling;
-Boo Lake is a great little course, it looks pretty and it's very nostalgic. I didn't find it difficult at all, I'm surprised other people think it's hard. You need to brake drift in that one curve, but the rest of the course is pretty straightforward;
-Rock Rock Mountain looks flat but is fun to play through because of all the gliding, it's a flexible course, I think that will make it very fun online. The music is also very exciting;
-Maple Treeway looks great, is fun to play, and also hard. I don't have as much experience with MK Wii as other people have, so I still have to get used to this one;
-Berlin Byways might be my favorite city course so far. The layout is very dynamic, each lap feels different from the others, the traffic makes the course feel alive and the music is amazing. Very fun course;
-Peach Gardens feels so good to play again. As someone who played it a lot on the DS, I have to say the square corners, which are the course's main thing, feel a bit too wide in a way that I'm struggling a bit to find the optimal angle like the original. I really like the last lap surprise, it feels like a different course!
-Merry Mountain is probably the course that feels the most like it could have been one of the original MK8 courses. It's short but sweet, the visuals are incredible and the course is fun to drive overall. Nice addition to the variety;
-Rainbow Road is intense! I didn't remember it being so treacherous. It looks much better playing than watching videos, I like the effect on the floor now. Very fun course, great addition to the game.

So overall Rock Cup is okay, and Moon Cup is amazing, probably the best cup we've had in the DLC. I feel like I have to practice Maple Treeway and RR a lot if I don't wanna get destroyed online, they're very tricky courses.

Boo Lake is a great little course, it looks pretty and it's very nostalgic. I didn't find it difficult at all, I'm surprised other people think it's hard. You need to brake drift in that one curve, but the rest of the course is pretty straightforward;

predator-handshake.gif

I feel like I am more positive towards London Loop than most others, maybe because of bias since I am a Brit and have visited many of these landmarks in person.

The main appeal for me with London Loop is the layout. Unlike the other Tour tracks, it's neither too short (Tokyo, New York) or too contrived (Paris, Sydney, Berlin). It's the perfect length, flows very nicely, and in general is just a great fit for Mario Kart 8's physics.

Add in that it's the best looking Tour track yet, the fantastic music, and the cute Chain Chomp gimmick, and I'm fully on board. Easily the biggest surprise for me in Wave 3, was not expecting to like it anywhere near as much as I did, especially since I didn't care for it in Tour at all.

Boo Lake wasn't hard per se, but holy fuck, when the AI sniped me with a green shell after being in first all the way to lap 3 finish line and it takes me down to 8th (mind you I was literally out of the water and about to cross the goal), it does annoy me.

Full patch notes for v2.2.0! One thing to note is that invincibility frames now vary depending on character and kart combo.
image.png
I always wanted to know the name of the 8 item, but I’d always forget to act on it. Glad to see the team screen for CPUs online thing was fixed too. Was weird it always lied to you lol. Excited to check out Mario Circuit 3 later to see how it looks.

Also, I hate to be that guy but I really don’t like what they did with the Rainbow Road music. It’s completely lost its emotional feel that it had in the original because they went for this disco sound. And they screwed up the final lap music too, it doesn’t lead in to the main chorus anymore.

All of you hyping up Rock Rock Mountain in this thread, talking about how excited you all were for it to be in the BPC, yet nobody's voted for it in the poll. For shame, for shame!

you're all correct, poll voters. more like mid mid mountain, am i right

All of you hyping up Rock Rock Mountain in this thread, talking about how excited you all were for it to be in the BPC, yet nobody's voted for it in the poll. For shame, for shame!

you're all correct, poll voters. more like mid mid mountain, am i right
Hey!...Hey! It's a dream come true and the one I wanted most, but that's a different question and I haven't voted yet!

One thing to note is that invincibility frames now vary depending on character and kart combo.
Yea, this stood out to me as well. Between this and the 2.1.0 changes I'm wondering if they're doing balance passes on the game in anticipation of adding more drivers and parts...

Gliding is neither interactive nor interesting. Haven't decided on a favorite from this wave but Rock Rock Mountain sucks ass. Real stinker of a course

Played the courses once... My highlights are Boo Lake, Rock Rock Mountain and 3DS Rainbow Road. Both Tour tracks are a little meh on first playthrough, Maple Treeway is as cool as it's always been, Peach Gardens was fun with that surprise 3rd lap and Merry Mountain was fun enough despite being a little short.

I’ve played all of the new tracks six times now. Four times on 150, twice on 200. I’m not ready at all to rank them yet since all the tracks are awesome this time, a first for the BCP for me, but I would like to share some thoughts.

London Loop - the vibe I got here was that this was a weak track in Tour, but I really dug how they strung this one together! Some great turns, music, and chain chomps brought some good personality to this course. I really like the final stretch as you get close up to the water.

Boo Lake - I’m sad this doesn’t behave like Ghost Valley, but otherwise I love this one! Some engaging turns here and the final sprint is lovably hectic! The water is a cool spin on the original course and I like seeing Luigi’s Mansion in the distance.

Rock Rock Mountain - this was the course I wanted most this wave and my most wanted 3DS course and it truly delivered! The narrow quick turns at the start with some nasty swoops get things off to a great start. I don’t remember the second glider section, but I’ve grown to like it as a test of landing in just the right spot to set up the next turn as tight as possible. My only slight complaint is the final launch off the mountain doesn’t feel quite as triumphant, but I do appreciate the boulders feel more aggressive and I like that they added anti gravity here.

Maple Treeway - this one rivaled Rock Rock Mountain for my most anticipated course and at least in their base games (not ready to judge here) it was the better course. This one largely translated beautifully and is welcomely closer to the Wii version than the 3DS version. The turn leading up the Wigglers remains appropriately wicked especially on 200cc and I’m thrilled they brought the half pipe back for the top of the tree. The wigglers being less aggressive is the only minor knock I have here. This one is going to be a true staple for me for sure though.

Berlin Byways - this was a very pleasant surprise and is definitely my new favorite city course. There’s some real wicked turns to learn here, a lot of energy (thwomps and whomps!), great music, and good traffic!

Peach Gardens - for the base course, I really appreciate the changes here. That second garden area in particular ditching the square flower gardens makes that turn feel faster and welcomely more open to explore. The next big 90 degree turn really launches you out on approach and I’m looking forward to mastering it. I largely dig the unexpected twist for lap 3. Getting to a see a small new area is very cool and driving backwards (especially the gliding section) makes the course feel more full in a great way. That said, this and the new item menu strengthened my desire for Nintendo to introduce variation/lap options for select tracks. Let me hit like the minus button or something during track select to let me choose whether I want these mixed laps or three forward or even three backwards laps.

Merry Mountain - wow this course looks great and has great vibes! It feels like it strikes a good balance of being a beginner friendly course and still having some cool stuff for more advanced players like the railroad section and how one of the trick jumps just ahead makes it harder to nail the turn. I’m not sure how to feel about the final sprint just yet as the blue poll things are in an odd layout imo.

Rainbow Road 3DS - This track really comes alive in Mario Kart 8 as it feels more speedy and hectic and since the road itself looks amazing. I’m more interested in mastering this one since it feels like there is more room for optimization than on 3DS. Excited to play this one with friends soon.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: “Oh you turned off just lightning? How about we send four blue shells at you per race now one after the other?”

Back
Top Bottom