• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
I remember there being a very similar sentiment during the wait for Joker and then Hero in the first Fighters Pass. We then got Banjo-Kazooie 5 weeks later, and Terry 9 weeks following that. Using a single sample size to guess how long we'll need to wait is not a good strategy when it comes to Nintendo. Maybe it does take until December, but I don't believe that the wait for Wave 2 indicates much of anything.

Also think people are reading into Merry Mountain too much here. Yeah, a Christmas track around the holidays is fun and all, but it's certainly not a necessity. The other tracks may just not be ready yet.
The Booster Course Pass release has coincided with the "new"/non-prefix track for two waves now (Ninja Hideaway return for wave 1 and Sky-High Sundae release for wave 2), so I believe the return of Merry Mountain to Tour will coincide with the release of Merry Mountain in 8 Deluxe too.

It first appeared around the Holiday season in Tour on:
December 2nd, 2020
December 1st, 2021
(in CEST)

That means, this year it would come November 30th. A rollout for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe the Thursday before would be the most likely, meaning we will get wave 3 November 24th. Trailer notice November 17th?

In the final section, does Waluigi Pinball have fake reflections now when they were real on DS/3DS?

Also, is there any updated thinking on whether we’ll get anything other than courses as updates to the game before the booster pass ends? Eg. Characters, battle mode courses, etc?

Last edited:
In the final section, does Waluigi Pinball have fake reflections now when they were real on DS/3DS?

Also, is there any updated thinking on whether we’ll get anything other than courses as updates to the game before the booster pass ends? Eg. Characters, battle mode courses, etc?
I think a few battle courses possibly.

i reckon races only. if anything comes it will be in addition to the 12 new cups and you'd imagine would have been announced at the start.

Almost certainly not. At the very least, it won't be attached to the BCP in any way. The best we could hope for is a free update, or additional DLC once the BCP runs its course.

Almost certainly not. At the very least, it won't be attached to the BCP in any way. The best we could hope for is a free update, or additional DLC once the BCP runs its course.
Oh yeah, I was thinking separate from the BCP as well.

The more I play MK8DX, the more I'm baffled by the desire to add more vehicles to this game. There's already something like 40 different vehicles, the majority of which are functionally identical to some other vehicle. The process of assembling a vehicle before a race is a pain in the ass largely because you have to scroll through so many different parts to find your preferred loadout, and padding the vehicle selection list more only makes this worse. Character bloat isn't as bad because you can select from a grid but you're still mostly just picking a weight class.

If MK9 retains something like the 7/8 loadout system and bloats the number of parts even further, I hope they'd at least take a page from Mario Kart Wii's book and designate parts as specific to size classes, or if they go all in on bringing in all the Tour crap, bring back character-specific vehicles.

The more I play MK8DX, the more I'm baffled by the desire to add more vehicles to this game. There's already something like 40 different vehicles, the majority of which are functionally identical to some other vehicle. The process of assembling a vehicle before a race is a pain in the ass largely because you have to scroll through so many different parts to find your preferred loadout, and padding the vehicle selection list more only makes this worse. Character bloat isn't as bad because you can select from a grid but you're still mostly just picking a weight class.

If MK9 retains something like the 7/8 loadout system and bloats the number of parts even further, I hope they'd at least take a page from Mario Kart Wii's book and designate parts as specific to size classes, or if they go all in on bringing in all the Tour crap, bring back character-specific vehicles.
Honestly? I want more vehicles because they look nice more than any stat based reason. My favorite looking Kart in the game, the P-Wing, is garbage stat wise and I would never use it in a serious capacity, but it looks cool, damn it.

Think people are reading into the “by the end of 2023” thing too much. That does not mean it will stretch across all of 2023. They could finish up in the summer if they wanted to.

Of course, that doesn’t mean the tracks are coming sooner. But I doubt every wave will be a 3+ month wait. There will be some quick turnarounds, and Wave 3 feels like a great opportunity for that early on.
Mid-to-late November/extremely early-December Wave 3 release.

Thinking the next pack might be very soon because of that one time Nintendo choose to bookended their E3 with two Smash character reveals seems... rather optimistic
The point is that Nintendo is not consistent with their DLC roadmaps whatsoever. Never have been, likely never will be. The wait for wave 2 being as long as it was does not mean the wait for wave 3 will be just as long. Nintendo doesn’t operate under the idea that they need to evenly space things out. If they’ve got an open spot in late September and Wave 3 is ready to go, they aren’t going to hold off because it’s “too soon”.

Of course, that doesn’t mean the opposite either, and I do agree that it will probably be a Q4 release. I’m just disagreeing with the notion that September is off the table entirely, because that’s just not how Nintendo operates.

ok so apparently the specifics of the 'Adjusted the extent to which a vehicle is thrown, depending on its weight.' patch note is that the Weight stat is no longer truncated to a whole number.
e.g. Before 2.1.0: a 3.75 weight stat was as good as a 3 weight stat and the jump from 3.75 to 4 is big. Now: Weight is now linear and a 3.75 weight stat is still a 3.75 weight stat and not a 3 and the jump from 3.75 to 4 is not as big.

I’m holding out small hope until Wave 4 is announced and released we might get something extra free or paid like characters. Halfway through is the perfect time to shake things up if it is going to happen.

ok so apparently the specifics of the 'Adjusted the extent to which a vehicle is thrown, depending on its weight.' patch note is that the Weight stat is no longer truncated to a whole number.
e.g. Before 2.1.0: a 3.75 weight stat was as good as a 3 weight stat and the jump from 3.75 to 4 is big. Now: Weight is now linear and a 3.75 weight stat is still a 3.75 weight stat and not a 3 and the jump from 3.75 to 4 is not as big.
That's a genuinely great change that makes the weight stat more substantial. Love to see it.

having a few new ones would be fun and an incentive to buying the dlc.

What they really are least should do is to patch some of the parts and vehicles. The ones that are speed oriented got nerfed way too hard in other stats for example.

We could at least have more unique stats in the karts/bikes and parts we have already.

Consider this though:

MKT_Icon_ClacketyKart.png
MKT_Icon_8BitPipeFrame.png
MKT_Icon_Trickster.png
MKT_Icon_RambiRider.png
MKT_Icon_KameksZoomBroom.png
MKT_Icon_CapsuleKart.png
MKT_Icon_DozerDasher.png
MKT_Icon_ComboCruiser.png
MKT_Icon_JingleBells.png
MKT_Icon_PiranhaPipes.png

These karts are awesome. Adding more kart parts would be a good opportunity to rebalance the existing ones too. There's a lot of overlap stat-wise in the current selections that could really be cleaned up, to not only make combos more interesting but to also make room for more.

i don't care about new karts

but i absolutely want them to add the burger tires to 8
This right here. I don't care about the meta or the stats whatsoever, I just want to look as dumb as I possibly can. There's a reason why I main Pink Gold Peach in the Mercedes Benz with the cushion tires and a Wario glider. Burger tires would complement the set beautifully.

Oh God, they're learning.
I hadn't played single player in years, but yesterday I was giving it a shot and OMG, they dialed up the assholeness of the CPU to 11. In just 4 cups I've been overtaken in the last moment before the goal by someone using a shroom like 3 times and I've been hit by red or blue shells as many times in the same situation. I love the CPU putting up a fight but this is incredibly cheap.

If battle mode in Tour brings actual new unique maps, I think Nintendo will bring them to MK8DX, for the same reason they will likely bring every new Tour circuit to MK8DX: this way, the tracks can be played until eternity, which is not possible in the Tour version with it being closed in a few years (probably).

If battle mode in Tour brings actual new unique maps, I think Nintendo will bring them to MK8DX, for the same reason they will likely bring every new Tour circuit to MK8DX: this way, the tracks can be played until eternity, which is not possible in the Tour version with it being closed in a few years (probably).
That, and development synergies are reducing the cost.

It’s a lot easier to double the number of battle courses in 8DX than it was to double the number of race courses, lol. Should be easy enough to pick 8 of them; one retro each from the games that missed the base game (N64, GBA, DS, Wii) and then whatever Tour originals end up happening.

For the retros my asks are pretty simple:

N64 Block Fort (the classic; Double Decker hasn’t been remade yet but Block Fort is necessary for the ultimate Mario Kart)

GBA Battle Course 4 (they have the assets for Yoshi Desert, so I suspect this will show up in Tour at least; and I don’t think YD will be the last GBA course in the BCP)

DS Twilight House (datamined for Tour; Tart Top hasn’t been remade before but that one is far too simple)

Wii Funky Stadium (would also accept Delfino Pier; but Chain Chomp Wheel has the most going for it since Tour recently adjusted the behavior of rolling Chain Chomps to activate item boxes they roll over, which only occurs on that map. Will hope for the former two regardless)

Last edited:
It’s a lot easier to double the number of battle courses in 8DX than it was to double the number of race courses, lol. Should be easy enough to pick 8 of them; one retro each from the games that missed the base game (N64, GBA, DS, Wii) and then whatever Tour originals end up happening.

For the retros my asks are pretty simple:

N64 Block Fort (the classic; Double Decker hasn’t been remade yet but Block Fort is necessary for the ultimate Mario Kart)

GBA Battle Course 4 (they have the assets for Yoshi Desert, so I suspect this will show up in Tour at least; and I don’t think YD will be the last GBA course in the BCP)

DS Twilight House (datamined for Tour; Tart Top hasn’t been remade before but that one is far too simple)

Wii Funky Stadium (would also accept Delfino Pier; but Chain Chomp Wheel has the most going for it since Tour recently adjusted the behavior of rolling Chain Chomps to activate item boxes they roll over, which only occurs on that map. Will hope for the former two regardless)
Yes

I think I hate Kalimari's Desert lol

The design of the track is very weird, I don't understand how I'm supposed to approach the curves, they feel a bit clunky. It also doesn't have much going for it so overall it's just kind of a bland track that doesn't play great. The tunnel section is awful, I don't see how you can keep full speed in it, it's always a pace breaker. The music is fire, though.

On the other hand, Mario Circuit 3 is an absolute highlight. It's one of the most fun tracks to drive through in the game, the track design is superb. It even works perfectly in 200c, every curve feels great and the speed rush is incredible. Simplicity and great design wins.

Sky High Sundae I was iffy about, but it really shines on 200cc, you barely touch the ground, the speed rush is amazing.

Does this change only affect collisions, or is it relevant to air time as well? If the latter, they'd have to have figured out some solution to preserve existing Time Trials records.

Came here to ask how people were feeling about a possible Battle Mode update and wasn't disappointed :)

I would easily pay for a one-off or smaller set of DLCs for additional battle mode courses / modes.

Also more characters / karts, or if they wanted to go full goblin mode allow some sort of synchronization between 8DX and Tour 😬 (I have no idea how Tour characters / kart unlocks work beyond knowing there's a gacha system in there)

Adding more kart parts would be a good opportunity to rebalance the existing ones too. There's a lot of overlap stat-wise in the current selections that could really be cleaned up, to not only make combos more interesting but to also make room for more.
The stat overlap ones I think are largely just cosmetic variations on the same part design, I'd really like to see the whole character/kart UI revamped so that:

1) The stats are no longer buried
2) Cosmetic variations were presented as an option rather than standalone options (similar to how we have a color sub-selection on Yoshi/Shy Guy)
3) There was some logical grouping of characters based on weight class like the older games. The current implementation is incredibly random and the change in kart model size is way too subtle.
4) Some sort of way to define preset builds

It's still so crazy that they're essentially building a whole new Mario Kart inside of MK8 (racing tracks, that is). Who would've predicted?

Also MK8 is becoming a Smash Ultimate in the sense of: how do you top this?

Did Tour have some references in the code to 8DX or an 8DX integration of some kind last year? Do we think anything will come of that?

What is the general consensus on this

Would people rather have Boo Lake or Broken Pier?

Boo Lake because we have no Boo themed tracks in the game (it's been a while since they last apparead in MK in fact) and Broken Pier's setting is ???

Boo Lake because we have no Boo themed tracks in the game (it's been a while since they last apparead in MK in fact) and Broken Pier's setting is ???
Forgot Twisted Mansion for the Boo themed tracks?

My personal preference is Broken Pier.

Quoted by: Leo
My predictions for the future DLC based on leaks and datamines

🪨 Rock Cup:
Tour London Loop
DS Peach Gardens
GBA Broken Pier
3DS Rock Rock Mountain

🌙 Moon Cup:
Tour Berlin Byways
GCN Waluigi Stadium
Merry Mountain
3DS Rainbow Road

🍎 Fruit Cup:
Tour Amsterdam Drift
Wii DK Summit
DS Airship Fortress
Yoshi's Island

🪃 Boomerang Cup:
Tour Singapore Speedway
GCN Mushroom Bridge
GBA Cheep Cheep Island
Tour Los Angeles Laps

🪶 Feather Cup:
Tour Athens Avenue
Wii Koopa Cape
GBA Sunset Wilds
Tour Madrid Blitz

🍒 Cherry Cup:
Tour Bangkok Rush
GCN Daisy Cruiser
SNES Vanilla Lake 2
Nautical Breeze

🌰 Acorn Cup:
Tour Vancouver Velocity
Wii Maple Treeway
Bubble Bath Path
Barrel Skatepark

💀 Spiny Cup:
Tour Cairo Craze
GCN Dino Dino Jungle
Origami Castle
Wii Rainbow Road

Last edited:
Finished the Turnip Cup on 150cc, 200cc, and Mirror. Quick impressions on those courses:

New York Minute - Feels like this got scaled a lot better than the Tour course from Wave 1. Definitely a step up over Paris and Tokyo in routing as well, though I prefer Sydney to it.

Mario Circuit 3 - This one got widened a bit and isn't as hard as it was on the Wii, but it's still a solid track. All of these courses are elevated by 200cc, but this one really shines at high speeds.

Kalimari Desert - The new routing on this helps shake up an otherwise blandish track. There aren't a lot of times MK8DX makes you drive on a path as narrow as the one between the train and the tunnel wall, which requires a little bit of finesse. The new arrangement for the music is bangin'.

Waluigi Pinball - It's a shame this one didn't get the antigravity treatment on the Wii U, but it remains an unimpeachable course. The coins in the gutters behind the flippers are a great touch.

What is the general consensus on this

Would people rather have Boo Lake or Broken Pier?
I’m leaning Boo Lake since I don’t trust them to properly adapt Broken Pier. The whole gimmick with Broken Pier is that you cut corners with rapid, risky bounce pads on a narrow course. I feel if they brought it over, it would just be Broken Pier in name only which is how a lot of the GBA tracks have gone for better or worse. In Super Circuit itself, Broken Pier is definitely my favorite of the two tracks.

Been wanting to create a final prediction chart, so thanks for the template, thank you 1UP inc.

Feel free to steal!

Wave 3
December 2022
🪨 ROCK CUP 🪨

Tour - London Loop
DS - Peach Gardens
GBA - Boo Lake
3DS - Rock Rock Mountain
🌙 MOON CUP 🌙

Tour - Berlin Byways
GCN - Waluigi's Stadium (Hoping for Wario's Colosseum)
New - Merry Mountain
3DS - Rainbow Road
Wave 4
April 2023
🍎 FRUIT CUP 🍎

Tour - Amsterdam Drift
Wii - Koopa Cape
DS - Luigi's Mansion
New - New Course (Yoshi's Island ?)
🪃 BOOMERANG CUP 🪃

Tour - Singapore Speedway
GCN - Dino Dino Jungle
GBA - Lakeside Park
Tour - Los Angeles Laps

Wave 5
August 2023
🪶 FEATHER CUP 🪶

Tour - Cairo?
Wii - Toad's Factory
GBA - Sunset Wilds
Tour - Athens?
🍒 CHERRY CUP 🍒

Tour - Bangkok Rush
GCN - Daisy Cruiser
SNES - Ghost Valley 3
New - New Course

Wave 6
November 2023
🌰 ACORN CUP 🌰

Tour - Vancouver Velocity
Wii - Maple Treeway
New - Placeholder? ↪ (3DS - Shy Guy Bazaar?)
New - Placeholder? ↪ (DS - Airship Fortress?)
☠️ SPINY CUP ☠️

Tour - New City
GCN - Bowser's Castle
New - New Course
Wii - Rainbow Road

The trend seems to be one "New" track per batch, so because the last cups are so far off I'm going to make a small prediction that they're still in the planning stages for that one (at least when the first batch dropped / when we got the data-mined game tag hints). The fact that the music leaks for retro tracks stop at Sunset Wilds is pretty telling. Maybe I'm wrong! But it felt boring to try and guess a completely new track concept.

edited: thanks
Skipper93653 !

Last edited:
Been wanting to create a final prediction chart, so thanks for the template, thank you 1UP inc.

Feel free to steal!

Wave 3
December 2022
🪨 ROCK CUP 🪨

Tour - London Loop
DS - Peach Gardens
GBA - Boo Lake
3DS - Rock Rock Mountain
🌙 MOON CUP 🌙

Tour - Berlin Byways
GCN - Wario Colosseum
New - Merry Mountain
3DS - Rainbow Road
Wave 4
April 2023
🍎 FRUIT CUP 🍎

Tour - Amsterdam Drift
Wii - Koopa Cape
DS - Luigi's Mansion
New - New Course (Yoshi's Island ?)
🪃 BOOMERANG CUP 🪃

Tour - Singapore Speedway
GCN - Dino Dino Jungle
GBA - Sunset Wilds
Tour - Los Angeles Laps

Wave 5
August 2023
🪶 FEATHER CUP 🪶

Tour - Cairo?
Wii - Toad's Factory
GBA - Lakeside Park
Tour - Athens?
🍒 CHERRY CUP 🍒

Tour - Bangkok Rush
GCN - Daisy Cruiser
SNES - Ghost Valley 3
New - New Course

Wave 6
November 2023
🌰 ACORN CUP 🌰

Tour - Vancouver Velocity
Wii - Maple Treeway
New - Placeholder? ↪ (3DS - Shy Guy Bazaar?)
New - Placeholder? ↪ (DS - Airship Fortress?)
☠️ SPINY CUP ☠️

Tour - New City
GCN - Bowser's Castle
New - New Course
Wii - Rainbow Road

The trend seems to be one "New" track per batch, so because the last cups are so far off I'm going to make a small prediction that they're still in the planning stages for that one (at least when the first batch dropped / when we got the data-mined game tag hints). The fact that the music leaks for retro tracks stop at Sunset Wilds is pretty telling. Maybe I'm wrong! But it felt boring to try and guess a completely new track concept.
If you are basing this off the music datamine, the Feather Cup GBA track is Sunset Wilds not the Boomerang Cup's. Also the music datamine goes up to Wave 6 which your predictions correctly placed Vancouver Velocity and Maple Treeway in so if you actually thought it only went up to Sunset Wilds, then nice job nailing those!

EDIT: Also I have no faith in Wario Colosseum for Wave 3 as Waluigi Stadium was on the datamined Booster Course Pass banner so I personally think Waluigi Stadium is the Wave 3 GCN track.

Last edited:
If you are basing this off the music datamine, the Feather Cup GBA track is Sunset Wilds not the Boomerang Cup's. Also the music datamine goes up to Wave 6 which your predictions correctly placed Vancouver Velocity and Maple Treeway in so if you actually thought it only went up to Sunset Wilds, then nice job nailing those!

EDIT: Also I have no faith in Wario Colosseum for Wave 3 as Waluigi Stadium was on the datamined Booster Course Pass banner so I personally think Waluigi Stadium is the Wave 3 GCN track.

Thank you for this!! I made some edits.

I completely forgot about the Booster Course banner... 😅

I actually had no idea the ripped tracks were placed for specific cups, after they stopped going in order and there was holes missing, I sort of just guessed the rest so thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom