• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
The MK series desperately needs more modes. Time trials and just playing the cups at faster and higher difficulties ain't gonna cut it for single player. Is it weird to want a story mode of some sorts with boss races?
Of course it isn't weird, but to me it sounds really dull. What does "boss races" even mean?

Vanilla Lake was not on the banner leak. It was only expected because of the in game ads for it in Coconut Mall. Snow Land, not to mention the other three upcoming snow courses, covers Vanilla Lake.

A beach course, Bowser’s Castle, and Choco Island are the last three classic themes not covered. One is getting left out. I’m personally pulling for a classic beach course to get left out only because we still could get a modern beach course at least with Peach Beach.
The most logical classic theme to be left out, at least to me, is Choco Island, since we already got the choco theme covered with N64 Choco Mountain. It’s not exactly the same but close enough.

As much as I would love it, I don’t see where GCN Peach Beach would fit in. Unfortunately. I love that track!

The most logical classic theme to be left out, at least to me, is Choco Island, since we already got the choco theme covered with N64 Choco Mountain. It’s not exactly the same but close enough.
Choco Mountain, in the Booster Pass at least, isn't chocolate. It's ostensibly just a name for a regular ass mountain with giant crystals and tufts of grass.

As much as I would love it, I don’t see where GCN Peach Beach would fit in. Unfortunately. I love that track!
I feel rock and mud are two very different themes. I’m expecting to be let down on Choco Island, but I don’t want to be!

Peach Beach I’m fairly optimistic about. We still have three unknown GameCube tracks. I’m just saying if we can have what, four mountain courses (maybe more??), I do think we can get a full second beach course if a classic beach made it in.

totally forgettable. if a solo mode isn't on the level of Diddy Kong Racing at least it's a waste of time. i'd much rather online was improved than half-baked single player content.

Yeah if they do a single player it needs to be on the level of Diddy Kong Racing or why bother.

hahahaha holy shit

and people liked these?
I felt they were kind of neat. Mission mode overall was the best/only single player we ever had for Mario Kart and it was a bunch of varied challenges. Not too bad compared to other Kart Racer single player stuff if you got into it.

Best way to improve single player: create a new mode, we'll call it High-Score Mode, where getting first is not important; you have to get first with style! That is, you have to do as many tricks as possible, with long chains of combos, possibly gliding above the entire track and never hitting the ground. Tour already does something like that, they should expand the concept for the next mainline game.

When are we thinking Wave 3 releases? Has to be November, right? September is too early and October has a new Mario game. Early November before Pokemon makes the most sense.

Can't wait to play Merry Mountain on Christmas!
...I feel like you're forgetting a month my man

When are we thinking Wave 3 releases? Has to be November, right? September is too early and October has a new Mario game. Early November before Pokemon makes the most sense.

I'm feeling early December, helps fill in what usually is a dry month.

I'm feeling early December, helps fill in what usually is a dry month.
ding ding ding

four and a half-ish months between mid March and early August, four and a half-ish months between early August and early/mid December

Best way to improve single player: create a new mode, we'll call it High-Score Mode, where getting first is not important; you have to get first with style! That is, you have to do as many tricks as possible, with long chains of combos, possibly gliding above the entire track and never hitting the ground. Tour already does something like that, they should expand the concept for the next mainline game.
I always thought a "Tour" mode would be a unique addition to the next Mario Kart. Going for score completely changes how you play.

Don't discount early December, after Pokemon. That means something is there for Nintendo that month.

I liked DS Mission Mode, especially the weird ones like driving across the Bowser Castle bridge backwards. Course based missions would be cool, stuff like "do 3 laps of Toad's Turnpike without hitting any traffic".

I believe mk wii kind off did this with its 3-star system. Instead of getting 3 stars for winning each race, you got stars based on your finishes, how long you drove first, how often you got hit by items, how often you'd fallen off the track, etc. It would be a cool idea to expand on it and tour's combo system indeed

Honestly think it could be as early as September. We’ve seen Nintendo do quick turnarounds on DLC before, so if there’s a September direct I could see it showing up there.

My personal guess is October.

...I feel like you're forgetting a month my man
I always thought a "Tour" mode would be a unique addition to the next Mario Kart. Going for score completely changes how you play.

Don't discount early December, after Pokemon. That means something is there for Nintendo that month.
December just doesn't make all that much sense to me? I imagine the DLC will be pushed pretty hard this holiday, so getting Wave 3 out in time for Black Friday so they can use Merry Mountain and 3DS Rainbow Road in the marketing seems ideal.

December just doesn't make all that much sense to me? I imagine the DLC will be pushed pretty hard this holiday, so getting Wave 3 out in time for Black Friday so they can use Merry Mountain and 3DS Rainbow Road in the marketing seems ideal.
Also people are sticking too much to this by the end of 2023 timeframe, this DLC could easily finish by October next year.

I would agree of releasing third MK8 DX DLC wave by early/mid november, 1 week prior to Pokémon S/V (18th), so it would be november 10th, with an announcement the week prior, november 3rd.

I appreciate how bullish people are about November, and if that's the case then sweet, I'll enjoy it. But I still won't discount an early December release. Nintendo could easily say "hey, it's coming soon! In the meanwhile, new Switch owners, you got the base game and 16 extra courses already!" Of course, personally I feel that the new Pokemon games are the bigger console seller this holiday season, but that's neither here nor there.

I absolutely do not think they'll release it in September or October. If we have a September Direct, I don't think we see Mario Kart at all. Nor do I think Nintendo aims to have the Christmas track out in Halloween season. I think it's November the earliest and December the latest.

Early December is the latest I think they would release Wave 3, and only reason I'm saying that is because Merry Mountain may be a clue they plan to have it very close to the holidays.

I managed to get my hands on the BGM.bars file and yes, I can also confirm the existence of the music snippets but one thing I noticed was that the only thing that is unfinished for Wave 3 in the music department is the final lap music for 3DS Rainbow Road because that one is using the original version but everything else for Wave 3 is remixed.

Early December is the latest I think they would release Wave 3, and only reason I'm saying that is because Merry Mountain may be a clue they plan to have it very close to the holidays.
season pass DLC is the perfect "literally almost Christmas" release

Yeah, Nintendo don't need a new wave to advertise ongoing DLC; they can just advertise the whole package.

Plus, I'd expect them to potentially add other things to the Expansion Pack part of the subscription in September or October. It might be time for GB and/or GBA on Nintendo Switch Online; it might be time for a new NSO exclusive; there might be something else tied to the subscription to try and keep people subscribed and to keep new users joining (a new loyalty scheme? Higher gold point rewards and bigger sale discounts?). We're getting close to 12 months since the higher tier launched with the Animal Crossing expansion, N64 and Mega Drive, after all.

I managed to get my hands on the BGM.bars file and yes, I can also confirm the existence of the music snippets but one thing I noticed was that the only thing that is unfinished for Wave 3 in the music department is the final lap music for 3DS Rainbow Road because that one is using the original version but everything else for Wave 3 is remixed.
We still only have the 1 second music files right?

Other question about the music leak: are the ones in the video the only ones left in the files, or are there other ones that are unclear to which tracks they belong or are new tracks?

We still only have the 1 second music files right?

Other question about the music leak: are the ones in the video the only ones left in the files, or are there other ones that are unclear to which tracks they belong or are new tracks?
Yes still only 1 second and yes the ones in the video are the only ones that are left in the files.

the missions were fun, just to give you something new to do

the bosses ranged from interesting novelty to complete bore

Of course it isn't weird, but to me it sounds really dull. What does "boss races" even mean?
I'd imagine similar to Crash Team Racing, but I highly doubt that will become a Mario Kart staple.

I'd imagine new features would be a significant boost to online mode, on level of Splatoon, and maybe even free-to-play elements (or elements that you'd expect to see in free-to-play games, such as a season pass, storefront to unlock items with coins collected, and a consistent road map for racers, karts, and skins.

Choco Mountain, in the Booster Pass at least, isn't chocolate. It's ostensibly just a name for a regular ass mountain with giant crystals and tufts of grass.
Has there been a taste test?

Throw me in the Wave 3 releases in December camp. I think the whole point is to keep Mario Kart in regular conversation through the end of 2023 (not get these tracks to us as soon as they are ready) so the DLC is roughly evenly spaced.

So Wave 3 December
Wave 4 April
Wave 5 August
Wave 6 December

They also have a moral imperative to release Merry Mountain before Christmas lol.

Current prediction for wave 4-5-6 (+ some made up name thingies for the new tracks found in MKT):

Wave 3 GBA ghost track prediction: Broken Pier

Fruit Cup:
Tour Amsterdam Drift
Wii DK's Snowboard Cross
DS Airship Fortress
Yoshi's Island ("yi")

Boomerang Cup:
Tour Singapore Speedway
GCN Daisy Cruiser
GBA Bowser's Castle 2
Tour Los Angeles Laps

Feather Cup:
Tour Athens Alleys ("at")
Wii Koopa Cape
GBA Sunset Wilds
Tour Mumbai Mayhem ("mu")

Cherry Cup:
Tour Bangkok Rush
GCN Dino Dino Jungle
SNES Koopa Troopa Beach 2
DK Skate Park ("dk")

Acorn Cup:
Tour Vancouver Velocity
Wii Maple Treeway
Fabulous Fishdome ("nu")
Paper Place ("or" which stands for origami ;) )

Spiny Cup:
Tour Madrid Drive
GCN Mushroom City
Bubbly Bathroom ("br")
Wii Rainbow Road

Throw me in the Wave 3 releases in December camp. I think the whole point is to keep Mario Kart in regular conversation through the end of 2023 (not get these tracks to us as soon as they are ready) so the DLC is roughly evenly spaced.

So Wave 3 December
Wave 4 April
Wave 5 August
Wave 6 December

They also have a moral imperative to release Merry Mountain before Christmas lol.
Aw man, this release schedule would be so boring.

Think people are reading into the “by the end of 2023” thing too much. That does not mean it will stretch across all of 2023. They could finish up in the summer if they wanted to.

Of course, that doesn’t mean the tracks are coming sooner. But I doubt every wave will be a 3+ month wait. There will be some quick turnarounds, and Wave 3 feels like a great opportunity for that early on.

Think people are reading into the “by the end of 2023” thing too much. That does not mean it will stretch across all of 2023. They could finish up in the summer if they wanted to.

Of course, that doesn’t mean the tracks are coming sooner. But I doubt every wave will be a 3+ month wait. There will be some quick turnarounds, and Wave 3 feels like a great opportunity for that early on.
I would have agreed before Wave 2 took four and a half months

They could. But until they suggest that they will speed things up, I won't assume they will. At most, I think Wave 2 was a fluke and then we get back to a March - July - November schedule. It's on Nintendo to prove us wrong.

And I think Wave 3 is one of the least likely for a quick turnaround. I would be genuinely shocked if Nintendo released their Christmas-themed course any time before November. This may seem like a silly sticking point, but I'm sticking with it.

Current prediction for wave 4-5-6 (+ some made up name thingies for the new tracks found in MKT):

Wave 3 GBA ghost track prediction: Broken Pier

Fruit Cup:
Tour Amsterdam Drift
Wii DK's Snowboard Cross
DS Airship Fortress
Yoshi's Island ("yi")

Boomerang Cup:
Tour Singapore Speedway
GCN Daisy Cruiser
GBA Bowser's Castle 2
Tour Los Angeles Laps

Feather Cup:
Tour Athens Alleys ("at")
Wii Koopa Cape
GBA Sunset Wilds
Tour Mumbai Mayhem ("mu")

Cherry Cup:
Tour Bangkok Rush
GCN Dino Dino Jungle
SNES Koopa Troopa Beach 2
DK Skate Park ("dk")

Acorn Cup:
Tour Vancouver Velocity
Wii Maple Treeway
Fabulous Fishdome ("nu")
Paper Place ("or" which stands for origami ;) )

Spiny Cup:
Tour Madrid Drive
GCN Mushroom City
Bubbly Bathroom ("br")
Wii Rainbow Road
I had the same thought about the “or” course being an origami course, though that’s more so me being hopeful than actually expecting that to be the case. But it would be really cool, especially if it was actually a Paper Mario themed course; fitting, since Paper Mario has already featured explicit, major Mario Kart references twice now with the two most recent installments.

I’d really love it if that does end up being the case, on top of the very-likely-to-be Yoshi’s Island “yi” course, plus the “dk” course which could end up being Donkey Kong related in a similar manner. Only thing I’d ask for after that is a proper WarioWare themed course!

I know I said this back at wave 1

But it is stupid how good this game looks on the oled

I didn’t know the 8 in the games title stood for “you’ll still be wowed by it 8 years later”

I know I said this back at wave 1

But it is stupid how good this game looks on the oled

I didn’t know the 8 in the games title stood for “you’ll still be wowed by it 8 years later”
I was attempting 200cc for the Turnip Cup in handheld mode earlier, and honestly? Even the BCP looks really good on the OLED. Gonna do some more 200cc attempts tomorrow and hopefully I'll get it down.

I would have agreed before Wave 2 took four and a half months
I remember there being a very similar sentiment during the wait for Joker and then Hero in the first Fighters Pass. We then got Banjo-Kazooie 5 weeks later, and Terry 9 weeks following that. Using a single sample size to guess how long we'll need to wait is not a good strategy when it comes to Nintendo. Maybe it does take until December, but I don't believe that the wait for Wave 2 indicates much of anything.

Also think people are reading into Merry Mountain too much here. Yeah, a Christmas track around the holidays is fun and all, but it's certainly not a necessity. The other tracks may just not be ready yet.

Back
Top Bottom