• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
  1. 3DS (8)
  2. 3DS
  3. N64 (8)
  4. Wii
  5. DS
  6. N64
  7. SNES (8)
  8. GCN
  9. SNES (7)
  10. Wii U
Probably how I would rank them. Left out SNES and GBA due to how terrible the driving physics are in those games: it's impossible to fairly judge the tracks in my opinion, because I can barely stay on the damn track.

I found the first two sets pretty underwhelming. Almost thought they detracted from the quality of the rest of the game.

But this set made up for all of that - properly brilliant. Helps that Alpine Pass (which a lot of people don't seem to rate!) is one of my all-time fav tracks. Also, Merry Mountain doesn't feel like a tour track, it feels custom built with MK8 design principles in mind.

As for best Rainbow Road, it's gotta be the MK8 version of the N64 track. The N64 track itself was legendary in its time. It's the one that made Rainbow Road a whole thing, really. The music, the length, the dramatic visuals, the legendary shortcut... it all started there.

Last edited:
One day I'll have the love you all share for 3DS Rainbow Road.

Like, objectively, yes! It's a fantastic track! Lots of fun turns, great use of the three part structure, you get to land on the moon and drift along planetary rings, what a good setpiece! This isn't a case like with Excitebike Arena where I don't really like the track much. But I think about 3DS Rainbow Road and I don't have much fondness for it. I think it may tie into my general feelings of Mario Kart 7 Just Kinda Being There (but I guess that didn't stop me from loving Neo Bowser City?) more than anything that has to do with the track itself, if that makes sense?

I don't get the distaste for 8's Rainbow Road. I've been kinda eh on a fair few of the vanilla 32 but it's a solid Rainbow Road to drive, good difficulty, the space station theming doesn't detract from it any more than the planet stuff does from 7's (I like how 7's added the space Toads around the rocket ships)

Honestly I feel like my opinion on it came around when they added SNES RR, I feel like it's more an 8/DX thing than an 8 Rainbow Road thing

It's first time trying the new tracks; and gotta say.. solid wave! I haven't played Mario Kart 7, so the tracks they bring over are always new to me. And I liked a whole bunch the London track!

Though, I still think a weird disconect of those tracks based on real-life locations.. even with the Mario elements all over.

Rainbow Road Rankings:

1 Mario Kart Wii
2 Rainbow Road N64
3 Rainbow Road 8
4 Rainbow Road 7
5 Rainbow Road GBA
6 Rainbow Road SNES
7 Rainbow Road GCN
8 Rainbow Road DS

I don’t really remember the DS RR and barely remember the GCN one so they are sitting on the bottom. 7 was historically low for me, but I have a growing opinion of it with the MK8 version. I think it’s probably going to overtake 8 and maybe even the N64 RR, but it’s too early for me to say for sure. I really dug the GBA RR when I replayed the series earlier this year. I’m probably underrating that too, the jumps are so good!

I found the first two sets pretty underwhelming. Almost thought they detracted from the quality of the rest of the game.

But this set made up for all of that - properly brilliant. Helps that Alpine Pass (which a lot of people don't seem to rate!) is one of my all-time fav tracks. Also, Merry Mountain doesn't feel like a tour track, it feels custom built with MK8 design principles in mind.

As for best Rainbow Road, it's gotta be the MK8 version of the N64 track. The N64 track itself was legendary in its time. It's the one that made Rainbow Road a whole thing, really. The music, the length, the dramatic visuals, the legendary shortcut... it all started there.
???

N64 version of RR is the worst of all time. Literally impossible to fall off, zero drama. The best RRs test your abilities honed throughout the whole game, all N64 RR tests is your ability to stay awake for 5+ minutes of the worst slog ever. Now, I do give the MK8 version a lot of credit for redeeming the map to some degree, but the original is absolutely putrid design.

???

N64 version of RR is the worst of all time. Literally impossible to fall off, zero drama. The best RRs test your abilities honed throughout the whole game, all N64 RR tests is your ability to stay awake for 5+ minutes of the worst slog ever. Now, I do give the MK8 version a lot of credit for redeeming the map to some degree, but the original is absolutely putrid design.
Just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’s bad. It’s clearly going for something else than most RRs, so I don’t really see the purpose behind judging it off of those standards.

Of course, that doesn’t really excuse the ridiculous length, but I do still like it overall.

???

I never once said it was good track design. It's fucking awful - for all the reasons you pointed out.

It was also, however, legendary, and epic, and GOAT-ed.

Does anyone know why in 3DS Toad Circuit the gliding ramp appears in Lap 2 when you’re playing GP, but in the final lap when playing versus?

I'm finally taking the opportunity to listen to the music tracks for Wave 3 outside of the game, and as usual, these tracks are absolute bangers. Boo Lake s delightfully eerie, Berlin Byways goes so hard in its synths and I love it, the Peach Gardens remix is perfectly fitting for a nice walk surrounded by flowers, and Merry Mountain is fittingly festive!

It's first time trying the new tracks; and gotta say.. solid wave! I haven't played Mario Kart 7, so the tracks they bring over are always new to me. And I liked a whole bunch the London track!

Though, I still think a weird disconect of those tracks based on real-life locations.. even with the Mario elements all over.
Yeah it feels unfair to say this, because we definitely wouldn’t have gotten the BCP at all without Tour, but I’d definitely pick any retro tracks from the other MK games over the city tracks in Tour if I was coming up with the BCP roster.

Like you already said, it’s a weird disconnect being based off real life locations. For me, it’s that plus…well… they’re all city tracks. which kind of fall under the same theme lol. Like it’s the same thing as getting 1/3rd of the tracks as desert tracks or something. Just lowers the variety.

Don’t mean to sound like I’m DOWN on it or anything, I view the BCP positively for what it is… it’s more content for a cheap price, likely not that difficult to implement for the devs, and still gives a chance for some of my favorite tracks to get an MK8 facelift even if it’s not as drastic as the base game. But the city tracks are definitely the least exciting content there

Version 2.2.1 Patch Notes
New patch just dropped.
image.png

This is the first booster pack that actually feels like it belongs and wasn't just sort of crammed into Mario Kart 8 for me and I really appreciate the huge jumps in quality between packs at this point even if the first one feels increasingly awful now.

That said, I don't understand why people are so positive on this version of Peach Gardens. As someone who fondly remembers the original DS, it feels completely butchered in this one :(

They really should add multiple costumes for Mario, Peach, Luigi etc and just have more characters in general. Let's get Pauline, Petey Piranha, E Gadd and Diddy and Dixie in the game.
I regularly forget even Diddy Kong isn’t in Mario Kart 8. I just think he should be there given he was in Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii lol.

Nintendo gonna use this data to decide which racers to add to 8DX.

I sincerely hope if Nintendo is adding more characters, it's original characters like Pauline and Diddy Kong (honestly it's a cardinal sin Diddy is no longer in Mario Kart).

Personal wishlist, based on the assumption IF they do new characters, it'll be 2 characters per update, with 3 updates in total like Battle League.

1. Birdo
2. Diddy Kong
3. Pauline
4. Funky Kong
5. Wiggler
6. Kirby (like Link, Inkling and Villager/Isabelle, a new guest character)

Well, push everything back a Tour I guess, lol. The New Years Tour is a Trick Tour in disguise. "New" courses are all R/T variants.

There were ID increases for R/T variants too but nobody figured they'd be released this way lol. Gotta get through the filler I guess...

Random thing I need to say
In the next Mario Kart, there WILL be a proper Splatoon Track of course, and I will be very annoyed if that track do not replace the Blooper with a Squid that shoots colored ink instead.

This is the first booster pack that actually feels like it belongs and wasn't just sort of crammed into Mario Kart 8 for me and I really appreciate the huge jumps in quality between packs at this point even if the first one feels increasingly awful now.

That said, I don't understand why people are so positive on this version of Peach Gardens. As someone who fondly remembers the original DS, it feels completely butchered in this one :(
I mean the extra bit of road at the right side of the castle entrance they are using for going backwards was already there on the DS but never used. I wonder if there was some different routing on this course at some point.

Random thing I need to say
In the next Mario Kart, there WILL be a proper Splatoon Track of course, and I will be very annoyed if that track do not replace the Blooper with a Squid that shoots colored ink instead.
If anything, I hope there is no crossover stuff in the next Mario Kart. Easily the weakest part of Mario Kart 8 and 8 Deluxe. Give me more Mario stuff and not surface level crossover material.

If anything, I hope there is no crossover stuff in the next Mario Kart. Easily the weakest part of Mario Kart 8 and 8 Deluxe. Give me more Mario stuff and not surface level crossover material.
I am conflicted mostly, on that.
I am fully fine with just Mario again, there is lots you can do with Mario and Mario-related series. And not everything 'needs' to be a crossover.
but
I also cannot deny I would be excited to see Olimar playable with a 'everyone is tuny and drives around a Pikmin track'. Or Samus, and you drive around tunnels and have to use Shells to open certan Doors for shortcuts. Etc.
So, luckily, either way, I will be happy :p

This is silly. I’ve played with people who for years just refused to brake or slow down in any way in these games lol.

The person I play with the most finally, finally does it occasionally after hundreds of hours of playing together. It was a momentous moment lol.

I think that each pack they're going on the right direction with visual design, overall graphics and gameplay.

I'm SO happy that Boo Lake, Rock Rock Mountain and Rainbow Road 3DS all have antigravity sections!! And it's not that boring forced one on the whole track like that Ice Cream level of wave 2.

I think the graphics are more cohesive with Mario Kart 8 by each track, Boo Like has screen space reflections and the water looks good!! It's a relief after this horrible use of cube maps for reflections in Waluigi Pinball, even tho I loved that course. 3DS Rainbow Road moon design just looks fantastic too.

Figure that instead of vaguely describing the findings here I should make a graphic for ID increases too. Will only update it here when notable jumps happen though, I think.

Mario_Kart_ID_Gap.png

Keep in mind these factors though:
  • Courses are in alphabetical order internally, sorted into four categories (Old, New, RMX, Battle; the latter two have no gaps currently).
  • Courses use a mixture of English names, Japanese names and in some cases (marked in italics here for convenience) internal names. Bowser's Castle instead of Koopa Castle, but Killer Ship instead of Airship Fortress. All names on the image are their English names however, so keep that in mind if you have any questions about the lists of courses that could fit in each gap (Shroom Ridge fits the current DS gap because the Japanese name is Mushroom Ridgeway, for example).
  • Some courses that (may) have been datamined through objects are not present on the ID list yet (SNES Ghost Valley 3, DS Tick-Tock Clock, Wii Rainbow Road, 3DS Wuhu Island, 3DS Music Park, 3DS Maka Wuhu, 3DS DK Jungle, Paris Promenade B and 'Mob YI'). For most of these it would simply be because they are not currently close to releasing in-game; but for Wii Rainbow Road, Paris B and Mob YI specifically it is because the current alphabetical lists end before they would be added, so we have no idea if they already have IDs allocated or not. Same applied to Vancouver Velocity 3 before it was recently added.
    • For Wii U courses like Water Park and Bone Dry Dunes there is a small possibility that if they are treated like ‘NSW’ (Nintendo Switch) courses in Tour they could actually go in the gap that currently occupies SNES Bowser Castle; but for now it’s much more reasonable to operate under the belief that they would simply fall after every known classic course, with no way to tell beforehand.
  • IDs for each individual variant of courses are increasing too, but i'm not as interested in following that since it doesn't imply much for 8DX speculation. For existing courses this simply indicates a return soon.
Most importantly, the higher the ID, the closer a course should be to actually releasing. So with that in mind, we can definitively say Mob OR will be the next new course releasing in Tour, as it has once again increased this Tour.

Last edited:
So with Nintendo rumors heating up, I wanted to ask if/when Nintendo teases Wave 4 in the first Direct of the year or whatever which track or two do you think they’ll tease for the wave?

I’m picking Waluigi Stadium as the track. We do have Waluigi Pinball already so a Waluigi themed course is covered, but it would be a cool GameCube track to tease, the stadium theme is unique for the DLC so far, and it’s one of the ones that leaked already so they can save surprises for later. I would be happy if they teased the new course, but I’m feeling they keep that closer to launch to maximize hype. Sunset Wilds is my second choice as a vibes focused pick.

One thing I do expect though, I’m putting Wave 4 as the biggest chance to see new characters hit the game. I think it’d be the shot in the arm to keep the Booster Course Pass exciting heading into year 2 of it. If it doesn’t happen, well I’m still forever glad they added the item menu at least.

I’ll say they tease the new track (most likely the Yoshi one) and a GCN track, whatever they end up choosing for Wave 4. Hook people with the new track, and then appeal to longtime fans by finally showing off some GCN representation. Saves some other big tracks like Airship Fortress and the obligatory Wii track for the official reveal.

So with Nintendo rumors heating up, I wanted to ask if/when Nintendo teases Wave 4 in the first Direct of the year or whatever which track or two do you think they’ll tease for the wave?

I’m picking Waluigi Stadium as the track. We do have Waluigi Pinball already so a Waluigi themed course is covered, but it would be a cool GameCube track to tease, the stadium theme is unique for the DLC so far, and it’s one of the ones that leaked already so they can save surprises for later. I would be happy if they teased the new course, but I’m feeling they keep that closer to launch to maximize hype. Sunset Wilds is my second choice as a vibes focused pick.

One thing I do expect though, I’m putting Wave 4 as the biggest chance to see new characters hit the game. I think it’d be the shot in the arm to keep the Booster Course Pass exciting heading into year 2 of it. If it doesn’t happen, well I’m still forever glad they added the item menu at least.
I was two for two last time, so let's see if I get it right again. Airship Fortress and DK Summit.

I was two for two last time, so let's see if I get it right again. Airship Fortress and DK Summit.
I think DK Summit is definitely in Wave 4, but I’m thinking it’d be weird to highlight it after just getting another snowy mountain teased.

I think DK Summit is definitely in Wave 4, but I’m thinking it’d be weird to highlight it after just getting another snowy mountain teased.
It's more about the contrast to me. The two courses couldn't be more different from each other.

Assuming there is a Nintendo Direct in February, I wouldn't be surprised to see the full Wave 4 announcement (considering Wave 1 was fully revealed at last year's February Direct). I also wouldn't be shocked if this announcement included something big, like new characters. It would be the perfect way to kick the BCP into the next gear.

Alternatively, I could see them announcing a "Booster Bonus Pass" to run concurrently with the Course Pass through the rest of 2023. Say 9.99 for three waves of characters, kart parts, and Battle Courses.

Of course I'm not expecting anything, and we could get nothing at all in February, but it's fun to imagine!

Back
Top Bottom