• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
After using the super horn item, the driving sound seems to be muted for a few seconds. Was it always like that?

Rock Rock Mountain is really really fun with a bangin' guitar. My fave of Rock Cup but I like all of them (I wish Boo Lake was longer cause it's cool). Maple feels like a nice refresh on an old classic (woo halfpipes!) London Loop is nice enough but nothing special.

Prelim Rock Cup Rankings:
1 Rock Rock Mountain
2 Maple Treeway
3 Boo Lake
4 London Loop

Last edited:
For those of you like me who have to be content with listening to the music until you're free to play later, I've found a channel with the tracks up. They did Rock Rock Mountain proud.

Sounds better on its own than in game. The string progressions from :45 to 1:06 sound lovely, but they're lost in-game amidst all of the chaos.

Also really digging the Berlin Byways remix, but I wish they had some sort of beat drop for the :28 transition. Doesn't feel particularly smooth.

For those of you like me who have to be content with listening to the music until you're free to play later, I've found a channel with the tracks up. They did Rock Rock Mountain proud.

Thank you! I was waiting for this

Edit: lol can we talk about how hard they went on the Boo Lake remix? jesus

Last edited:
Alright, quick thoughts and rankings. Very subject to change.
  • Tour London Loop is way better than I was anticipating. The routes are all all different and a ton of fun, and it's the first city track that doesn't feel too small. Letting the Chain Chomps loose is a lovely twist on the final lap; I know it probably isn't a reference, but my mind immediately went to Who Let the Dogs Out.
  • GBA Boo Lake is solid, albeit not particularly exciting. Fits right in with the other two GBA tracks, and I think I prefer it to GBA Sky Garden, but not by a ton. Easily my least favorite track of the wave, which is a testament to how strong this wave is.
  • 3DS Rock Rock Mountain is also quite fun. The improved gliding is wonderful; I was worried the automated pathing would be frustrating, but it's as free as I could hope for. Ultimately still one of the less exciting tracks, but a worthy addition nonetheless.
  • Wii Maple Treeway...man. Similar to Wii Coconut Mall (which has dropped quite a bit in my overall rankings), I don't think this made the transition as smoothly as it could have. Maybe it's my nostalgia speaking, but something feels lost. At the end of the day though, it's still goddamn Maple Treeway, which by default makes it one of the best tracks yet. Need to race on this one more to really nail my thoughts down.
  • Tour Berlin Byways is my favorite Tour track yet. It's so damn hectic, with the traffic and thwomps providing some really fun challenges. Music goes hard, and once again it doesn't feel overly long. Huge win with this one.
  • DS Peach Gardens also surpassed my expectations. Going backwards is obviously super cool, but the track itself just fits really well in Mario Kart 8's driving physics. Very pleasantly surprised here.
  • Merry Mountain is longer than I thought it would be, which honestly works against the track a bit, given how simple it is. It's still quite fun, but there are stretches where nothing really happens, particularly on the slope in lap 1. Really like how the items are laid out though.
  • 3DS Rainbow Road is 3DS Rainbow Road. Best track in the franchise, and it works fantastically here as well. What else do I need to say.
Immediate rankings would be RR > Maple > Berlin > London > Peach > Rock Rock > Merry > Boo, although the middle is still very much in flux.

Maple Treeway's remix is reminiscent of Shroom Ridge's for me: didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me really fucking fast.

This is easily the best wave yet, these maps play great and look gorgeous. Very glad to have Maple Treeway, 3DSRR and Peach Gardens back.

Rainbow Road 3ds feels shorter?? I'm probably wrong about that but it just feels like something was shortened.
My first attempts for 3DS Rock Rock Mountain and 3DS Rainbow Road in time trials both pretty much matched my best attempts in Mario Kart 7, so I'd agree with Magic-Man that it's just a matter of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe being the faster game overall.

I'm a bit sad they took away one of my favourite visual things about the original RR3DS

That big purple solar flare/light when you take the big turn before the finish line is missing. Why :(

Overall I'd say the tracks with the best glow-ups are Rock Rock Mountain and Peach Gardens.

Honestly I was pretty surprised at that lap in Peach Gardens.

But I really like every track, even Rock Rock Mountain! Might have something to do with that guitar riff part of the song. Another small thing I didn't know I thought I missed was the return of the halfpipe trick areas like in Maple Treeway and Merry Mountain.

Speaking of Merry Mountain, that track is simple but really cozy to race on due to the Christmas theming. It feels like another Mario Kart Stadium track, which is nice every now and then.

Best wave easily.

Happy Wave 3 release day, everybody!! I'll glad to see that they mostly nailed it this go around. Looking forward to playing it for myself, but I'm going to wait to try the courses together with my partner. I'll post detailed thoughts later in the week!

The custom item selection is a great idea that I'm surprised wasn't in the game sooner. Glad that we can get good new features alongside the BCP! Now if only we could get characters. Won't believe it until I see it!

3DS Rainbow Road is prime Mario Kart content. Maybe one of the best courses in the whole game at this point.

All of the tracks in Wave 3 are awesome, except for London Loop IMO. Wasn't really feeling that one. Loved Berlin though.

Picking any Mario Circuit should be considered a crime in all 50 states + DC and Puerto Rico.

3DS Rainbow Road is prime Mario Kart content. Maybe one of the best courses in the whole game at this point.

All of the tracks in Wave 3 are awesome, except for London Loop IMO. Wasn't really feeling that one. Loved Berlin though.
Funny, I'm the exact opposite. I liked London a lot more than I was anticipating. Meanwhile, Berlin was a disappointment.

Well I played them all a bunch, and I pretty much love all of them. Some I'm not surprised by like Rainbow Road or Maple Treeway, but I'm really please especially with Berlin and Rock Rock Mountain. And that last lap in Peach Garden was a legit surprise. Great Wave

I like how many of these courses use the gravity mechanic. I remember many people were concerned when Wave 1 dropped that none of the DLC courses would use gravity.

After the data change on Mario and Peach skins and this random item update, I'm sure we'll get some new characters or skins before the booster pass ends.
Wait, what’s this about data change on Mario and Peach skins??

Can't wait to play these when I get home tonight! And so, so, so excited that they've added an item selection screen. Can't wait to finally turn off the Coin item! And this gives me hope that they'll continue adding other cool new features. I would love a lap selection screen. N64 RR would be a 10/10 if it was 3 or even 2 laps.

And of course, holding out hope for DLC characters, whether in this BCP or another update. The Mario/Peach alt rivals being combined is exciting in that regard.

Can’t play right now, but once again the music is fucking divine. Obsessed with Berlin Byways right now. It’s an anthem.

Been through them once and it feels like the Booster Pass really has found its stride here. Clever changes to classic tracks, with even a relatively simple one like Boo Lake being more entertaining, and the final lap twist on Peach Gardens is especially fun. Merry Mountain isn't anything special layout wise but I really like the theme and look of it; while the cartoon visuals are still evident versus vanilla 8, in general these tracks are visually more sophisticated. It helps that no track feels as slow as wave 1 did; Choco Mountain in particular feels like you're going at a crawl. This time around, Boo Lake for example, feels really zippy.

One touch I really like in Boo Lake - the various mansions in the background might be reminiscent of the different levels in Luigi's Mansion 2; or am I imagining it?

Some of the turns on GBA Boo Lake are definitely tricky. I'd also say it's the most difficult Wave 3 track, although I think that's more due to how relatively easy the other seven tracks are.

Back
Top Bottom