• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
I played through every course in the game yesterday to refresh my muscle memory (it's been a hot minute since I played the game). I had forgotten a lot of these tracks, especially the ones from the base Wii U game. But honestly I don't think there's really a stinker in the game at all. If I have one complaint, it's with how they made N64 Rainbow Road a three part race instead of just having it be three laps. I get that it's a long track but it feels like they overcorrected for that; it's such a good rendition of the course, especially the music. Maybe have two full laps as a compromise.
I always hoped they would add a lap counter as an update even back on the Wii U, just one lap of N64 RR is criminal!

Last edited:
It's everyone's favorite Mario character - Stanley the Bugman!

DK3_Stanley_Artwork.jpg

...the 3D art used is a pretty literal interpretation of his Donkey Kong 3 design, I'll give you that.
I used the model of his Melee trophy for the icon, same as DK Jr.!

ELCzUF.webp
ELCRDv.webp

I used the model of his Melee trophy for the icon, same as DK Jr.!

ELCzUF.webp
ELCRDv.webp
Oh wow, good attention to detail! The Melee trophy models were really good at capturing the original looks of all the characters. I understand why future games don't have trophies, let alone original models for trophies like these, but I miss it.

I played through every course in the game yesterday to refresh my muscle memory (it's been a hot minute since I played the game). I had forgotten a lot of these tracks, especially the ones from the base Wii U game. But honestly I don't think there's really a stinker in the game at all. If I have one complaint, it's with how they made N64 Rainbow Road a three part race instead of just having it be three laps. I get that it's a long track but it feels like they overcorrected for that; it's such a good rendition of the course, especially the music. Maybe have two full laps as a compromise.
I think the real tragedy isn't that N64 Rainbow Road is a three part race - it's that they shortened the course in MK8. If the lap still took two minutes, that would be adequate.
Thanking my lucky stars every day that they somehow made the right call at Nintendo HQ and went with Pauline and New Donk City as the go to Odyssey references/rep in other games going forward instead of... the Broodals. 🤢

Also, we are only a few days away now! HYPE!!

I did give Chocobo GP a go last week, and it's a really charming game in a lot of ways(the music, the character designs, the locations have a lot of fun background details), and it looks really nice in handheld mode, but it also feels kinda lacking in track design which is really unfortunate, not to mention the MTX stuff which is just...ehhh. Like, as a kid I would have been good renting and playing through the story mode of this game and then never renting it again.

Maybe over time it'll get better/or I'll get better idk.

But ya'll, 200cc Coconut Mall is about to drop in Mario Kart 8... this weekend! I can not wait!
I will not stand this Broodal slander.

...okay, in all seriousness, I feel like they get a bad rap. I feel like the Mario Kart 8 base roster and all of the Koopalings really did a number on people. I don't want them in every game, but in large rosters like Mario Kart, they feel totally appropriate.

It's a big shame that Chocobo GP is a MTX filled mess. I'm not the biggest Final Fantasy person (slowly making my way through the core series, after a several years break), but it's cool to have more Kart racers, and legacy franchises getting racers is a very fun trope.

I do wonder if Nintendo is planning any extra free updates to go with this DLC. 200cc was a free addition to Mario Kart 8, and I believe that came at a time when the game was still getting DLC. Maybe we get some reverse track variants? Or night and/or holiday variants? And I find it weird that Battle Mode is getting nothing at all. There's so much potential here.

Edit: Tour also has a ton of Trick track variants that could easily be ported over. They're just ramps and boosts.

Last edited:
I do wonder if Nintendo is planning any extra free updates to go with this DLC. 200cc was a free addition to Mario Kart 8, and I believe that came at a time when the game was still getting DLC. Maybe we get some reverse track variants? Or night and/or holiday variants? And I find it weird that Battle Mode is getting nothing at all. There's so much potential here.

Edit: Tour also has a ton of Trick track variants that could easily be ported over. They're just ramps and boosts.

Was trying to speculate about that a little the other day:

Would be nice if they added a new max race count every wave (+8 each time); the more options the better!

Speaking of options, I wonder if they'll revive any of the scrapped features found in the files of Deluxe. The unused Expert difficulty feels like the easiest one to add; doesn't even need to be applied to 200cc GPs, just have it as an option for VS Mode. Reverse Mode is a far taller ask though, and not one I expect. It was scrapped from Double Dash, then revisited again for 8 Deluxe, and finally ended up being realised in Tour. Sure, that means the layouts already exist for the tracks being ported up from Tour (all of the DLC), but would they really leave out the vanilla tracks like that, or would they go through the effort of making reverse versions for all of them? Both outcomes feel unlikely to me.

I don't think they'd bother with trick varaints since that's mostly tied into Tour's score system; and it's probably too late to bring over other major features like badges (ARMS clearly influenced them there) and missions (would need to be part of the pass since they'd use booster tracks, and it clearly isn't). Tour's holiday varaint tracks just involve putting extra objects like pumpkins on the track to drive into for points; not very interesting.

Tour is going to get Battle Mode eventually (has to be the big feature saved for 3.0 at this rate, if it wasn't Miis); maybe it'll get some new or returning battle maps they can port over?

Since DLC is usually released at the same time worldwide, what time on Friday do you think it will be released, keep in mind the UK version of the direct also said the 18th, so I am thinking midnight pst.

I will not stand this Broodal slander.

...okay, in all seriousness, I feel like they get a bad rap. I feel like the Mario Kart 8 base roster and all of the Koopalings really did a number on people. I don't want them in every game, but in large rosters like Mario Kart, they feel totally appropriate.
I'm a huge Koopaling stan tho! Roy's my boy!(Seriously, I only ever pick Roy or Shy Guy in MK8) LOL

I just find the Broodals... wildly off-putting... and I can't really pinpoint exactly what it is(maybe it's the way they did their eyes?) But whenever they look at me, the feeling is much creepier than encountering the Eel or Piano from SM64 or the Redeads and that thing with all the hands from Zelda OoT. :cry:

Sorry to any of ya'll who love these rabbits, and to those hoping they show up in stuff like Mario Kart, well, it takes all kinds, and I wish ya'll the best... publicly anyways lol.

Reviewing the track list in this game and my main want for the DLC is at least one of Mushroom City or Moonview Highway, mainly because I want an urban night-time course that isn't Toad's Turnpike. The general concept of these tracks is fun, but there's only so far it can carry them. Toad's Turnpike's layout is a snooze and MK8's modifications being options to skip the main mechanic do not help its case.

I'm personally more partial to Moonview Highway, and I'm wondering if they'll work in some Odyssey references on the ads or some such. Between New Donk's heavy marketing and the moon theming it seems like a natural fit, but what do I know.

I don’t think it sucks, but I do wish you could opt out of both it and Mirror online.
Maybe “sucks” is a bit harsh but moreso it’s very obvious the game was not at all designed or tested with it in mind. It’s just not fun. If I want to carefully brake around corners so I don’t fly off the track I’ll play Gran Turismo

4 DAYS LEFT - Join the Track Predictions Thread!
nsVto5Y.gif

Also don't forget to join prediction contest for fun! 🔥

Speaking of Mario Kart Tour, I think it would be interesting to see Tour's high score mode come in as a bonus mode, either for MK8D or a future game. It changes up how you play races a lot. You wanna go out your way to get coins, maintain drifts for bigger bonuses, and get to tricks. And rather than hoarding items, you're encouraged to used them right away to get more points. It's not the main way I want to play Mario Kart, but it's a fun alternative.
I'm a huge Koopaling stan tho! Roy's my boy!(Seriously, I only ever pick Roy or Shy Guy in MK8) LOL

I just find the Broodals... wildly off-putting... and I can't really pinpoint exactly what it is(maybe it's the way they did their eyes?) But whenever they look at me, the feeling is much creepier than encountering the Eel or Piano from SM64 or the Redeads and that thing with all the hands from Zelda OoT. :cry:

Sorry to any of ya'll who love these rabbits, and to those hoping they show up in stuff like Mario Kart, well, it takes all kinds, and I wish ya'll the best... publicly anyways lol.
They do look ugly, but it's a fun ugly. The kinda goofy ugly that makes me want to beat them in a boss fight. Does it make for a perfect Mario Kart addition? Perhaps not. But I'd still be for it.
nsVto5Y.gif

Also don't forget to join prediction contest for fun! 🔥

You know, after lurking for years on Era and seeing all the Smash Bros. threads, it's kinda surreal seeing an IntelliHeath countdown gif in a thread that I made.

I still think we're getting new kart parts. It's such a simple addition that would give incentive to race the tracks in single player. Nintendo has already released more on Switch (Master Cycle) for free.

I think Nintendo lately always communicates very clearly. So i dont think we will get some extras besides the new tracks. Especially not new characters or kart parts because they would’ve mentioned that by now

Guys I am so excited, Mario Kart is a special series for me that, along with Mario proper and Donkey Kong Country, are the only ones I can say have really tracked with me for my whole life, and I've played all of them at release a TON. New tracks for what I feel is the best installment is huge.

I haven't decided if I want to upgrade the NSO pass or buy the pass. It sucks that we don't "own" the tracks for the former and it's contingent on the upgraded subscription being active.

But there aren't a ton of 64 games I want to play right now either though. F-Zero x is the only one I really wanna check out.

New tweet, and it looks like they updated the visuals a tad, for Coconut Mall at least. It’s small, yes, but cool that it’s there.

More than ready for Friday!

They don‘t look really updated to me but I‘m also more or less ok with the visuals since the first showing. Sure, I‘m disappointed that they changed the artstyle and that it seems like that some of the tracks will have a more simplistic layout than the original ones and that most will miss MK8s main feature anti gravity. But on the other hand it is cool that we‘ll get so many tracks this fast in a short amount of time. Also to be honest, while more simple, the new artstyle looks far more cohesive than the partially realistic environments in standard Mariokart 8 tracks.

New tweet, and it looks like they updated the visuals a tad, for Coconut Mall at least. It’s small, yes, but cool that it’s there.

The other tracks are identical to the existing press shots, but Coconut Mall definitely looks plenty different compared to the reveal.

74dde0fdd29e6b58681f622a7b438916e44fa2d8f8feda039666794327d1e280.jpg

FN6ZvEiWUAEoP1g

Beyond the obvious colour changes, added effect on the glass and extra cameraman Toad on the side of the track, there’s a bit of texture on the trees now too.

Last edited:
The other tracks are identical to the existing press shots, but Coconut Mall definitely looks plenty different compared to the reveal.

MK8-Course-Wii_CoconutMall.jpg

FN6ZvEiWUAEoP1g

Beyond the obvious colour changes, added effect on the glass and extra cameraman Toad on the side of the track, there’s a bit of texture on the trees now too.
Whoa, this is quite the change! Definitely like the richer colors in the latter screenshot. I wonder why they specifically touched up Coconut Mall but not the other tracks.

ZTPIfV7.gif

Hey! We're in the ride for awhile, and 48 freaking tracks! 🔥

Also you did fantastic job with |ST|!
Nothing stops this Kart ride.

(Thank you, friend!)

I see that Nintendo wants to make my graphics outdated already, lol. The updates look nice though.

FN6ZvEiWUAEoP1g

I analyzed this comparison for about two minutes before I figured out what happened here.

42494_820_05.jpg

FN6ZvEiWUAEoP1g

I flipped between these two images way too many times before realizing that the wiki was probably updated with the latest image, and I was flipping between the same two pictures. 😆

74dde0fdd29e6b58681f622a7b438916e44fa2d8f8feda039666794327d1e280.jpg

FN6ZvEiWUAEoP1g

Holy shit that looks a LOT better. This isn't really a complaint about the artstyle, it's just that the new colors look so much nicer.

Whoa, this is quite the change! Definitely like the richer colors in the latter screenshot. I wonder why they specifically touched up Coconut Mall but not the other tracks.

Maybe they did touched them all up but got the screenshots from different buildings. It's very likely, imo, since the lighting seems to be the biggest change and they could simply apply the same lighting settings to the other tracks (i think)

I'm surprised they didn't up the polycount on the building, the bumpiness of that curve is rough lol

The other screenshots are the exact ones we already had since the reveal; but i’m quietly hoping that they’ve done some cleanup on Toad Circuit since; that’s the track that needs it the most from wave 1

I think that tracks look great on new screenshots. They look clean and vibrant.
Is it ok that I wasn't really bothered by the original looks? I don't play Tour and I'm just happy we're getting 48 retro tracks. Honestly, unless they made everything completely clash with the existing art direction (or the tracks are utterly impossible to parse during gameplay), I think I'm too busy paying attention to the racing to notice the finer details.

Regardless new screens look great and once again shows how things can evolve for a title before release.

What I’m most curious to know about Coconut Mall is if the Miis driving cars in the parking lot are still in… I know the answer is most likely no… =(

Is it ok that I wasn't really bothered by the original looks? I don't play Tour and I'm just happy we're getting 48 retro tracks. Honestly, unless they made everything completely clash with the existing art direction (or the tracks are utterly impossible to parse during gameplay), I think I'm too busy paying attention to the racing to notice the finer details.

Regardless new screens look great and once again shows how things can evolve for a title before release.
I didn't mind the original looks either, improvements are good of course but the trailer footage didn't set my eyes on fire or anything like what Twitter is making it out to be.... ah Twitter, it is such a mess on their rn around the DLC.

My hot take is that 200cc sucks and I wish you could opt out of it online.
I also don't like 200cc, the game really was designed around that kind of speed. Now if Mario Kart 9 gas tracks built around such a speed I'd be cool with it.

What I’m most curious to know about Coconut Mall is if the Miis driving cars in the parking lot are still in… I know the answer is most likely no… =(
The car object was datamined from Tour, so the obstacle is certainly still part of course. Whether or not Miis will still be the drivers? Well, in Tour they probably will be, since that game is focusing big on Miis right now; but i’m not 100% confident with 8DX.

Quoted by: Tye
The car object was datamined from Tour, so the obstacle is certainly still part of course. Whether or not Miis will still be the drivers? Well, in Tour they probably will be, since that game is focusing big on Miis right now; but i’m not 100% confident with 8DX.
Yeah, I didn’t doubt the cars being there, just the Miis driving them. I’m not so sure they’ll be in Tour, either—mostly due to there being no Mii Plaza or anything like that to pull Miis from. Though I suppose Tour could always just take random ones from online, I guess, or just use the defaults, but it wouldn’t have the same feel as having them be your own Miis like on Wii and 3DS. That’s why I fear they’ll be left out of MK8D, too—because while you can have up to 100 Miis on your Switch…very few people actually have many (if any) Miis on their system since there’s no easy way to share and receive friends’ Miis and such like there was on Wii, 3DS, and Wii U, and the usage of Miis in Switch software seems to be designed with that in mind, since there are almost no instances of games pulling random Miis from your system to show up in games like that (I believe the Tomodachi Life and Find Mii stages in Smash are the only exceptions, and those probably only exist as they do in Ultimate due to being carryovers from the 3DS).

Maybe the dlc stages could look a little better (Ribbon road in the base game still stuns me with how good it looks) but I'm just grateful we are getting new courses. The amount of people whining about the visuals is crazy. Nintendo is literally doubling the size of the game when Imo it would have been totally justified doing absolutely nothing until they make the next mario kart on switch 2.

Yeah, I didn’t doubt the cars being there, just the Miis driving them. I’m not so sure they’ll be in Tour, either—mostly due to there being no Mii Plaza or anything like that to pull Miis from. Though I suppose Tour could always just take random ones from online, I guess, or just use the defaults, but it wouldn’t have the same feel as having them be your own Miis like on Wii and 3DS. That’s why I fear they’ll be left out of MK8D, too—because while you can have up to 100 Miis on your Switch…very few people actually have many (if any) Miis on their system since there’s no easy way to share and receive friends’ Miis and such like there was on Wii, 3DS, and Wii U, and the usage of Miis in Switch software seems to be designed with that in mind, since there are almost no instances of games pulling random Miis from your system to show up in games like that (I believe the Tomodachi Life and Find Mii stages in Smash are the only exceptions, and those probably only exist as they do in Ultimate due to being carryovers from the 3DS).
Tour can apparently pull random Miis from other players for use in regular cup races; but even if that isn’t true I don’t think using the defaults would be a problem. There’s at least like 50 or so default Miis in Tour! Shame you can only have 10 of your own Miis saved at a time; feels a bit silly now that they’ve given Tour Miis codes for sharing.

Quoted by: Tye
Tour can apparently pull random Miis from other players for use in regular cup races; but even if that isn’t true I don’t think using the defaults would be a problem. There’s at least like 50 or so default Miis in Tour! Shame you can only have 10 of your own Miis saved at a time; feels a bit silly now that they’ve given Tour Miis codes for sharing.
Oh yeah, I forgot they added a way to share Miis in Tour. Totally missed that when I was checking it out after the latest Mii update, lol. Didn’t realize you can have up to 10 Miis in the game, either! It’s definitely not as nice as being able to grab Miis from StreetPass or Miiverse on 3DS and Wii U, but it’s at least better than what’s available on Switch (outside of Miitopia, that is), limit of 10 aside. =P Guess that might point towards them being including in the course in Tour then. But yeah, I’m with you on not being as confident about them being present on Switch, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom