• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Currently at work, so can someone with the update tell me if Ninja Hideaway still has no prefix? Or did it get updated with a Tour prefix?

Assuming the former, but I’d like to know nonetheless.

Ver. 2.1.0 Patch Notes
unknown.png

Is anyone else dealing with a bunch of blue shells and ink? I played four courses and got hit by both during each. I even got hit twice by ink in Kalamari Desert!

Is it me or the Mushroom Gorge music not/barely different from the original?
Don’t have access to the full music at the moment, but from what I heard in the snippet we got last week it sounds like the backing was changed quite a bit. Still sounds similar but it’s definitely a new arrangement, kinda like Grumble Volcano.

just finished the second cup, and yeah, the lines are immaculate

it's like they took the most fun courses they had and crammed them into one wave

Don’t have access to the full music at the moment, but from what I heard in the snippet we got last week it sounds like the backing was changed quite a bit. Still sounds similar but it’s definitely a new arrangement, kinda like Grumble Volcano.
yeah, having played through while listening carefully, it does sound really good, even if I can't point out what's actually different

Just played the GP with the new sweetie track on it. That was quite dizzying.

Ok wow, wave 2 is so much better than wave 1 in everything.
Amazing music too, Sydney and Kalamari desert both sound amazing.
This was an amazing update.
(In Sydney's course you can hear the totaka song sang by yoshi at the start of the track, I know that's already in the game but it was hard hearing it mid race)

Kalimari is super fun! You do drive on the tracks and the train DOES hit you instead of doing tricks off it. Fun and chaotic.

Have fun with the new courses, everybody! I'll add some threadmarks once I'm on my computer later. In a few hours I'll hop in and check them out for myself.

My opinion on Wave 2

Turnip Cup
  • starts weak with the both New York Minute and Mario Circuit 3
  • Kalimari Desert: i like this track a lot as someone who didnt like it on N64 and 3DS
  • Waluigi Pinball: is the highlight of this cup. I especially like the added sound effects

Propeller Cup:
  • Syndey Sprint: is good and imo better than New York Minute
  • GBA Snow Land; has very nice visuals and music. But i wish there would’ve been more obstacles on the road before the lake
  • Wii Mushroom Gorge: i had the most fun with this course
  • Sunday Skydive: a solid course with nice visuals and music. but the camera is very weird on this course…
+ Coconut Mall is now elite in MK8D ^^

Overall i had fun with this wave and imo its „better“ than Wave 1.

First impressions.

New York
Music made me smile. Buildings look quite bland, just like Paris. Central Park second lap and Parking Garage third lap turn the track into a real journey. Lovely.

Mario Circuit 3
One of the few tracks to need boost braking in 150cc. Otherwise unremarkable - I much prefer the base game's aesthetic handling of SNES/GBA era tracks. EDIT: second time through I'm enjoying it a lot more. It's racing lines are like an eye massage.

Calimari Desert
Finally being able to drive through the tunnel officially is fantastic! I enjoy the cheesy trumpets. Cool second lap twist.

Waluigi Pinball
Cementing my love for Mario Kart DS' track design, together with Shroom Ridge (Airship Fortress WEN?). Music fits this much better than Wario Stadium - and seems to be a little more funky? Not the best course if you're photosensitive.

Sidney
Tokyo Tour on steroids. So much variety, an epic second lap, great start through the opera house. Suffers a bit from the flat art style - not always sure what terrain can be driven on. Fantastic otherwise. And DAT SAXYNESS. EDIT: my god that second lap is loooooooooooooong.

Snow Land
A great bread and butter track. Love the flutes accompanying the accordion. Fun question mark box placements. Snow and road texture gloss sometimes melt together in a distracting way.

Mushroom Gorge
Best looking of the bunch, very consistent in it's quality and art style. Glad to be playing this track in another game than Mario Kart Wii xD . Nice and varied, but not spectacular. EDIT: the blue mushroom puts out your glider, which is a great touch!

Skyhigh Sundae
I missed antigrav, and it makes the track a lot more interesting. Really got my blood pumping with the tight jumps, small roads and large drops. It's another overly bright looking track due to the art style, but it's a rush. Fantastic music too. EDIT: the most Mario Kart 8 feeling of the bunch.

Last edited:
Just came here to gush over how good New York Minute is, in 8 Deluxe. 🥰🥰

here's my quick and dirty ranking of the tracks. unlike wave 1 I really like the bottom of the list, so I expect this to change a lot as I play more

Mario Circuit 3
Snow Land
Sky-High Sundae
Mushroom Gorge
Sydney Sprint
Kalimari Desert
Waluigi Pinball
New York Minute

It seems super stars are able to be picked up after being struck by lightning. Does anyone know if this was possible before the patch?

Edit: seems like this was always possible, nevermind then!

Wave 2 is waaay better than Wave 1. Hope Wave 1 can get some texture patches and the like.

Anyway here’s my unsolicited opinion:
  • Both New York Minute and Sydney Sprint are both fantastic. They have a lot more going on compared to Paris and especially Tokyo, and the difference between the track layouts are more distinct. Stuff like going through Central Park or through the opera house are super neat touches. NY for me currently holds the title of best real-world course, partly because the jazz absolutely slap.
  • Mario Circuit 3: Unassuming in its visual simplicity but it feels good to keep building up speed and nailing those turns. Basic but fun.
  • Kalimari Desert: not too familiar with MK64, but this was good. I love that you can drive beside the train! Adds that tiny bit of tension when you have to dodge the incoming train, and it feels nice when you accomplish it and you get to drive through the tunnel.
  • Waluigi Pinball: I still don’t like this track, and they really upped the garishness. Personal feelings aside the graphics update for this course is great. Music sounds funkier too.
  • Snow Land: Love the glistening snow and ice, accompanied by that wonderful flute. The layout is a bit basic though, only thing I found notable was the question boxes floating around like Santa’s reindeer.
  • Mushroom Gorge: Didn’t like this in MKWii so color me surprised, this was super fun. Especially when you learn how to bounce on those mushrooms. Need to practice more on that.
  • Sky High Sundae: Interesting how the camera seems to keep blocking your forward view, so you keep driving up these steep ramps and praying you land on solid ground. Like it wants you to keep feeling you’re careening high above. It’s a novel way to experience a course, that’s for sure. Could have maybe used another gliding section, I think, but overall I’m digging the emphasis in verticality, which Ninja Hideaway also had.

Last edited:
LOL, EVERYBODY in the online lobby chose the Skyhigh Sundae track xD .

So glad the new tracks are immediately available online.

EDIT: That track is a blast online, holy cow. It wasn't even 200cc!

Back
Top Bottom