• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
If I could add just one thing to my last post before I step away for a while, I really don’t think the real questions we are trying to discuss for course speculation, like what beach course should they add or what’s a cool SNES course we want, need to be in spoiler tags. That’s the real crux of this conversation. Also Mario Kart is cool.

Would be nice if they could limit the online courses to just DLC courses for, like, a week. Have played the others to death already.
The thing I don’t get is people who don’t vote for the new courses
We could play mushroom gorge but no they vote for fucking moo moo meadows again

Three starred, not yet multiplayer-tested thoughts on the two new Grand Prix:

Turnip Cup

New York Minute: Not instantly readable. Once you get the hang of it, the recurring portions of each lap are quite satisfying to drift through. Nothing about it screams New York. Instead feels like a boring New Bowser City.

Mario Circuit 3: As a Toad Circuit defender, I of course approve of Mario Circuit 3's low-fidelity, no-frills racing. Helps that Mario Circuit has tighter twists and reaches a tenser, faster flow state.

Kalimari Desert: Still build around one gimmick, now getting extra use out of it. Not a favorite you want to go back to often and can never get tired of, but the kind it's good to have a decent number of in rotation.

Waluigi Pinball: Nostalgia done right. Forever a fun track and in my mind the graphics always looked this garish. The approach of seperating the usual Mario Kart chaos into clean, fast racing for the first half and true random fuckery in the final part is something course design could stand to take more from elsewhere.

Propeller Cup

Sydney Sprint: No news here. Top tour and city track. Lap 2 alone beats most full races. And having you drive against the series of giant ramps from the wrong side first before letting you jump off them later is the stuff this changing route concept was meant for.

Snow Land: Benefits big time from being placed right after Syndey Sprint. Unremarkable in itself, the breezy track layout and charming theme continues the pleasant vibes of Sydney Sprint.

Mushroom Gorge: Nostalgia done wrong. I was allowed to develop fond feelings for Mushroom Gorge until I played it again and was reminded of the mushroom part. Got better when I told myself to simply aim for the big blue one. Not sure it's the fastest. But it is the most consistent. Plus huge shortcuts like this famous one always leave me a bit ambivalent.

Sky High Sundae: Hypest announcement. Finished middle of the pack, at best, in actuality. In theory an all anti-gravity course is nice, in pratice Sky High Sundae goes to great length to disguise its anti-grav nature. There's an appeal to the rollercoaster idea of going up, up, up into a blind drop that hopefully a future course will employ to greater effect.

Overall, superior to Wave 1, but I probably rate both closer than consensus would have them.

Why have people been assuming we won’t get an SNES Vanilla Lake course now? Like, yeah, it’s thematically similar to GBA Snow Land, but there are actual advertisements for Vanilla Lake in Coconut Mall, and I feel like they wouldn’t have included that if they weren’t planning for Vanilla Lake to be one of the future DLC courses…

in pratice Sky High Sundae goes to great length to disguise its anti-grav nature.
I kinda expected this, because it's also a Tour track and it has to make sense in that context without anti-grav. So it can't do what stock MK8 tracks do. It's a small bummer - I only realised how much the anti-grav adds now that it's barely in the DLC.

Still, I really enjoy the track because it constantly feels like the game is gonna break :p .

Why have people been assuming we won’t get an SNES Vanilla Lake course now? Like, yeah, it’s thematically similar to GBA Snow Land, but there are actual advertisements for Vanilla Lake in Coconut Mall, and I feel like they wouldn’t have included that if they weren’t planning for Vanilla Lake to be one of the future DLC courses…
There are multiple advertisements of various characters that are not playable. They aren’t a confirmation of anything.

The tracks are Tour ports, in which those ads were already there. Doubtful they mean much at this point.

There are multiple advertisements of various characters that are not playable. They aren’t a confirmation of anything.

The tracks are Tour ports, in which those ads were already there. Doubtful they mean much at this point.
Well characters are a bit different from courses, I feel, and if I’m not mistaken there were already references to characters that aren’t playable in the base game of MK8D anyway, but not courses as far as I’m aware. Also, I know the courses are built for Tour and are largely the same when ported over to MK8D, but I was also under the impression that a number of textures like that are changed, but maybe I’m wrong about that.

I kinda expected this, because it's also a Tour track and it has to make sense in that context without anti-grav. So it can't do what stock MK8 tracks do. It's a small bummer - I only realised how much the anti-grav adds now that it's barely in the DLC.

Still, I really enjoy the track because it constantly feels like the game is gonna break :p .

I'm a big proponent of keeping the speed boost from bumping into other racers in future Mario Kart games even if they ditched the anti-gravity gimmick and had nothing to justify the mechanic thematically, so I can't be too mad about Sundae providing me a good preview of what that'd look and feel like. It's just too good of a small little counterbalance to the problem of first place running away with the race while the pack is a bucket of crabs constantly pulling each other down.

Waluigi Stadium is cool but i cant help but feel that Wario Colosseum would be perfect for some antigrav shenanigans.

The remixes sound great though!
Nintendo when fans ask for anti-gravity in the DLC waves

SmoggyHilariousBaiji-size_restricted.gif

Just saw on YouTube point out that these music files were found by someone who makes Nintendo music remixes.. so how do we know these are actually real? It could easily be a hoax. Also, some of these do still sound quite MIDI to me, like Vancouver's intro just doesn't sound right at all.

Just saw on YouTube point out that these music files were found by someone who makes Nintendo music remixes.. so how do we know these are actually real? It could easily be a hoax. Also, some of these do still sound quite MIDI to me, like Vancouver's intro just doesn't sound right at all.
They're real. Can verify it. Got the files with me rn.

unknown.png

They reside in a file called "BGM.bars". That file contains 3 second clips of streamed music that is loaded into memory early on. This is so the game can load the actual stream file in the background without any kind of lag time.

Turnip Cup is one of the best 4 course sets in the game. Hopefully the next mainline game has the alternating routes like the tour course do.

Considering that Vancouver isn't coming until the final wave, the song might not be finished yet. Sounds pretty good to me though, I don't really notice anything wrong with it. If any song sounds off, I'd say it's Bangkok.

Really love Wave 2....really cool yada yada yada / blah blah blah... but Nintendo.....when are we gonna get Wave 3? Just asking for a friend.

R.68892c81003aaa4f31af2ae7e20cfb60

Because MK7 Raindbow Road is probably my absolute favorite track in the whole franchise

Maybe we will find out what the ghostly GBA track is in the Halloween 2022 Tour? That or they will add Ghost Valley 3 during the Halloween Tour I guess.

Possible Ratgorl spoiler about the last DS track:

Confirmed Airship Fortress?

Also, pretty curious to know if Ratgorl knows which of the GBA ghost tracks the wave 3 track is.

Last edited:
Just saw in the stats of this game that Shroom Ridge is my most played track in the whole game as of now :D Probably not with Wii U MK8 included, but solely in MK8DX Shroom Ridge is clearly my favourite.

Also, for the other SNES track: please be Koopa Beach 2, please be Koopa Beach 2! I have MKDS nostalgia for that track for one reason or another. Loved playing it with my brother and trying to bump each other in the holes. Would love to see it back.

anyone been trying the harder shortcuts out? i'm getting the Mushroom Gorge & Snow Land ones down, they're both a little tricky in their own way.

Also, for the other SNES track: please be Koopa Beach 2, please be Koopa Beach 2! I have MKDS nostalgia for that track for one reason or another. Loved playing it with my brother and trying to bump each other in the holes. Would love to see it back.
Either Koopa Beach 2 or Shy Guy Beach would be great to see. We still don’t have that traditional flavor of beach course yet. I’m really pulling for Peach Beach also.

Seems like I won't have to update my graphs for at least a few more days, as Sky-High Sundae's abbreviation has been datamined from 8DX, and it is mob ib (Ice Building; the Japanese name of the course). This should be confirmation of the obvious, that despite the marketing the course was ported up from Tour rather than being made just for 8DX; but ib also doesn't overlap with any of the known datamined courses from Tour itself, leaving them all open still.

Here are my latest guesses for what the future waves will be as of the new leaks—excluding Wave 3 since that was already leaked in full aside from the question of Boo Lake vs. Broken Pier (my vote goes to the latter):

Wave 4

Fruit Cup
Tour Amsterdam Drift
Wii Koopa Cape
DS Airship Fortress
New Yoshi’s Island course (mob ‘yi’)

Boomerang Cup
Tour Singapore Speedway
GCN Daisy Cruiser
GBA Bowser Castle 3/4
Tour Los Angelos Laps

Wave 5

Feather Cup
Tour Madrid course (mob ‘md’)
Wii DK Summit
GBA Sunset Wilds
Tour Athens course (mob ‘at’)

Cherry Cup
Tour Bangkok Rush
GCN DK Mountain / Mushroom City
SNES Koopa Troopa Beach 2 / Vanilla Lake 2
New bathroom course (mob ‘br’)

Wave 6

Acorn Cup
Tour Vancouver Velocity
Wii Maple Treeway
New underwater course (mob ‘nu’)
New Donkey Kong course (mob ‘dk’)

Spiny Cup
Tour Mumbai course (mob ‘mu’)
GCN Dino Dino Jungle
New course (mob ‘or’)
Wii Rainbow Road

we won't know until it shows up in tour proper but i'm pretty convinced that tour 'yi' is in fact sky high sundae, codenamed yoshi icecream

we won't know until it shows up in tour proper but i'm pretty convinced that tour 'yi' is in fact sky high sundae, codenamed yoshi icecream
Nope:
Seems like I won't have to update my graphs for at least a few more days, as Sky-High Sundae's abbreviation has been datamined from 8DX, and it is mob ib (Ice Building; the Japanese name of the course). This should be confirmation of the obvious, that despite the marketing the course was ported up from Tour rather than being made just for 8DX; but ib also doesn't overlap with any of the known datamined courses from Tour itself, leaving them all open still.

That's one of the outcomes we could've ruled out before even datamining 8DX. None of the course objects datamined for the yi course (obstacle Shy Guys, Goal Rings) are present on Sky-High Sundae.

Might be worth catching the thread up on what objects have been datamined for each course; been awhile since i've mentioned each individually and i've never listed them all together to my memory. All credit goes to the Tour Community Discord for the findings, of course:

SNES Donut Plains 3
  • ChoropooSign (Choropoo = Monty Mole; this object exists on DP3 in MK8); this may end up being for Peach Gardens instead, as it also features Monty Moles
SNES Ghost Valley 3
  • Environment file unintentionally added to the game during Wario Vs. Waluigi Tour
N64 Luigi Raceway
  • BalloonN64lc (Japanese course name is Luigi Circuit)
GBA Luigi Circuit
  • AirShipLC
  • PuddleLC
GBA Yoshi Desert
  • PillarAgbyd
GBA Bowser Castle 3 / 4
  • PotalPropellerAgbbc (not used on 1 or 2)
GCN Waluigi Stadium
  • (On datamined banner)
  • PakkunWall (Pakkun = Piranha Plant)
  • WallDokan (Dokan = Pipe)
GCN Mushroom Bridge / Mushroom City
  • CarBomb
  • CarHanachan (Hanachan = Wiggler)
  • CarMushroom
GCN DK Mountain
  • RoadMovingGcdm
DS Tick-Tock Clock
  • StartGatePendulum
DS Mario Circuit
  • PackunFlowerFire (Fire Packun = Fire Piranha Plant); this object has textures and animations for spiting out fire already present in the files too.
Wii Grumble Volcano
  • RockVolcano
  • RoadGuraGuraTest (Japanese course name is Gura Gura Kazan)
Wii Dry Dry Ruins
  • Sanbo (Sanbo = Pokey)
  • PillarWiiddr
  • SandHillWiiddr
3DS Wuhu Loop
3DS Maka Wuhu
  • RockWuhu
3DS Music Park
  • BlockNote
3DS DK Jungle
  • StonePillar
  • GoldenBanana
  • AirShipDK
  • BarrelDK
Wii U Water Park
  • PukuPukuMecha (Puku Mecha = Mecha Cheep)
Wii U Bone-Dry Dunes
  • KaronTest (Karon = Dry Bones)
  • PackunBoneTest (Bone Packun = Bone Piranha Plant)
Mob AT
  • DoorMobat
  • PillarMobat
Mob MD
  • FenceMobmd
  • FenceMobmdArrow
  • TentMobmdA
  • TentMobmdB
Mob YI
  • ArrowMobyi
  • ArrowSignMobyi
  • FlowerRingMobyi
  • HeyhoMobyi (Heyho = Shy Guy)
  • RoadAppearMobyi
  • RoadPartsMobyi
  • (other course objects like Donut Blocks and Fuzzies that might fit here)
Mob MU
  • EnclosureMobmuTest
  • StartGateMobmuTest
Mob NU
  • MorayMobnuTest1
  • MorayMobnuTest2
  • (other sea creature course objects like jellyfish that might fit here)
Mob OR
  • FenceBranchMobor
  • FenceMobor
  • FenceMoborArrow
  • PillarMobor
  • RoadPartsMobor
  • StartGateMobor1
  • StartGateMobor2
Mob DK
  • HPBoardMobdkN
  • HPBoardMobdkR
  • (HP is used as an abbreviation of half-pipe sometimes internally)
Mob BR
  • JumpMobbr
  • BathBomb
  • DuckToy
  • KuriboFloatToy (Kuribo = Goomba)
  • RoadSponge

Last edited:
Might be worth catching the thread up on what objects have been datamined for each course; been awhile since i've mentioned each individually and i've never listed them all together to my memory. All credit goes to the Tour Community Discord for the findings, of course:

SNES Donut Plains 3
  • ChoropooSign (Choropoo = Monty Mole; this object exists on DP3 in MK8); this may end up being for Peach Gardens instead, as it also features Monty Moles
SNES Ghost Valley 3
  • Environment file unintentionally added to the game during Wario Vs. Waluigi Tour
N64 Luigi Raceway
  • BalloonN64lc (Japanese course name is Luigi Circuit)
GBA Luigi Circuit
  • AirShipLC
  • PuddleLC
GBA Yoshi Desert
  • PillarAgbyd
GBA Bowser Castle 3 / 4
  • PotalPropellerAgbbc (not used on 1 or 2)
GCN Waluigi Stadium
  • (On datamined banner)
  • PakkunWall (Piranha Plant)
  • WallDokan (Pipe)
GCN Mushroom Bridge / Mushroom City
  • CarBomb
  • CarHanachan (Wiggler)
  • CarMushroom
GCN DK Mountain
  • RoadMovingGcdm
DS Tick-Tock Clock
  • StartGatePendulum
DS Mario Circuit
  • PackunFlowerFire (Fire Piranha Plant)
Wii Grumble Volcano
  • RockVolcano
  • RoadGuraGuraTest (Japanese course name is Gura Gura Kazan)
Wii Dry Dry Ruins
  • Sanbo (Pokey)
  • PillarWiiddr
  • SandHillWiiddr
3DS Wuhu Loop
3DS Maka Wuhu
  • RockWuhu
3DS Music Park
  • BlockNote
3DS DK Jungle
  • StonePillar
  • GoldenBanana
  • AirShipDK
  • BarrelDK
Wii U Water Park
  • PukuPukuMecha (Mecha Cheep Cheep)
Wii U Bone-Dry Dunes
  • KaronTest (Dry Bones)
  • PackunBoneTest (Bone Piranha Plant)
Mob AT
  • DoorMobat
  • PillarMobat
Mob MD
  • FenceMobmd
  • FenceMobmdArrow
  • TentMobmdA
  • TentMobmdB
Mob YI
  • ArrowMobyi
  • ArrowSignMobyi
  • FlowerRingMobyi
  • HeyhoMobyi
  • RoadAppearMobyi
  • RoadPartsMobyi
  • (other course objects like Donut Blocks and Fuzzies that might fit here)
Mob MU
  • EnclosureMobmuTest
  • StartGateMobmuTest
Mob NU
  • MorayMobnuTest1
  • MorayMobnuTest2
  • (other sea creature course objects like jellyfish that might fit here)
Mob OR
  • FenceBranchMobor
  • FenceMobor
  • FenceMoborArrow
  • PillarMobor
  • RoadPartsMobor
  • StartGateMobor1
  • StartGateMobor2
Mob DK
  • HPBoardMobdkN
  • HPBoardMobdkR
  • (HP is used as an abbreviation of half-pipe sometimes internally)
Mob BR
  • JumpMobbr
  • BathBomb
  • DuckToy
  • KuriboFloatToy
  • RoadSponge
So new Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong, Ocean, and Bathroom (FFS why) tracks are pretty much confirmed. We only have one more unknown track left.

Is it just me (haven’t listened to/compared the base game retro OST to old games in a while) or is the big band doing less “reimagining” of songs in the BCP?

New and more instrumentation in the BCP, definitely, but I feel like I remember base game retro courses sounding a lot different passing through the filter of the Big Band lol

It could also be that I’m mostly hearing Tour vs. BCP music comparisons and that’s what I’m thinking. Maybe the Big Band is just sprucing up Tour’s arrangements of songs so it’s not as much of a huge project.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but some of the new maps could end up being battle courses, right? They won’t necessarily all be tracks.

The bathroom thing could also end up as part of a house-inspired track too, doesn’t necessarily need to just be a bathroom.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but some of the new maps could end up being battle courses, right? They won’t necessarily all be tracks.

The bathroom thing could also end up as part of a house-inspired track too, doesn’t necessarily need to just be a bathroom.
God I hope so, a purely bathroom themed track is so stupid.

So new Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong, Ocean, and Bathroom (FFS why) tracks are pretty much confirmed. We only have one more unknown track left.
I don't think this stuff in particular needs to be kept in spoilers; we've been talking about it openly for months. Only used it because that's a lot of text.

I'm inclined to believe the current speculation in the Tour community that the bathroom course is actually a battle course and not a race course. Battle mode is still on the way for Tour after all, and it's possible we'll see some new non-city and non-retro battle courses show up just like for race courses.

Also worth considering is that we've had one case of a course changing abreviation in the past. Back in 2021 a pair of objects called TentmobmTest and TentmobmTest2 were added; which were then removed and returned in finalised (no longer 'Test') form as TentMobmdA and TentMobmdB a few months later. MU and NU currently only have test objects attached to them, and as such there's a chance that maybe they have since become one other the newer discovered mob courses.

Yeah I thought the consensus was the bathroom was a battle course which could be a fun goofy arena with shifting platforms as they bob up and down.

hear me out:

we need the bathroom course to have you start outside the window and come in riding on the course that’s a silver spoon. I know Nintendo is full of Beatles fans, so this is the only thing I will accept.

Sorry, are you saying Donut Blocks and Fuzzies have also been datamined from Tour?
Correct. Just back in July the object 'FuzzyLine' was added to the game; but further back there was already a 'Fuzzy', and before that 'FuzzyTest' and 'FuzzyLineCircle1Test' (which seems to be early versions of the aforementioned two). In March 'TestChikuwa' was found (chikuwa block being the Japanese name for donut blocks, named after a different treat).

On the topic of enemies datamined from Tour there is also a 'KuriboBoots' objects, but it also remains unclear where that'll be used.

Correct. Just back in July the object 'FuzzyLine' was added to the game; but further back there was already a 'Fuzzy', and before that 'FuzzyTest' and 'FuzzyLineCircle1Test' (which seems to be early versions of the aforementioned two). In March 'TestChikuwa' was found (chikuwa block being the Japanese name for donut blocks, named after a different treat).

On the topic of enemies datamined from Tour there is also a 'KuriboBoots' objects, but it also remains unclear where that'll be used.
Wow. I know it’s not a guarantee yet but I’m really getting my hopes up for a Yoshi’s Island course now. And that could look really great still in the BCP art style if it’s all in Yoshi’s Island’s drawn/sketched look.

Kuribo boot is also a fun one to think of which course that belongs to. I’m gonna end up wanting a second Booster Course pass after this…

(On that note, while I am enjoying the Tour tracks well enough, it’s crazy to think how close we’d be to “Every Course is Here” if all those slots were retro courses.)

Played all of the new tracks at launch day(which was also my birthday) and it was soooooo great. I really loved every single of them. Anti-gravity on the Iced Skies were just soooooo perfect 😭🙏

About the datamines I'm really looking forward to see 3DS Rainbow Road!!!

anyone been trying the harder shortcuts out? i'm getting the Mushroom Gorge & Snow Land ones down, they're both a little tricky in their own way.
I managed to do the Snow Land one twice in 1 online race, I personally found it to be relatively easy to pull off, but it's very fun to do. Haven't tried Mushroom Gorge yet

Kalamari Desert is still awful and boring, even with the new twist. Now you can drive on the boring stretch of train track instead of the boring flat desert, yay.

All of the other tracks are decent-to-good, was just hoping they could find a way to redeem a boring N64 track like they did with N64 Rainbow Road, but I guess lightning can't strike twice.

Kalamari Desert is still awful and boring, even with the new twist. Now you can drive on the boring stretch of train track instead of the boring flat desert, yay.

All of the other tracks are decent-to-good, was just hoping they could find a way to redeem a boring N64 track like they did with N64 Rainbow Road, but I guess lightning can't strike twice.
I was just thinking about how N64 Rainbow Road is a somewhat lackluster ending for the lightning cup. Kalimari Desert is superior in my opinion, there are a lot of routes and shortcuts you can take. To each their own I'd say

Guess I am the only one crossing my fingers for the bathroom one being a race course. It would kinda feel like a Ribbon Road situation in which the characters are really small which I love. It would make for a unique concept, that’s sure!

I was just thinking about how N64 Rainbow Road is a somewhat lackluster ending for the lightning cup. Kalimari Desert is superior in my opinion, there are a lot of routes and shortcuts you can take. To each their own I'd say
Sure there are different routes, but they're all fundamentally the same thing. Zero terrain differential, basically just a very slow left-hand turn the entire course.

Back
Top Bottom