• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Sure there are different routes, but they're all fundamentally the same thing. Zero terrain differential, basically just a very slow left-hand turn the entire course.
True, I hadn't thought about it all being the same kind of turns. In time trial I can see that being an issue, but in races you can use golden shrooms to cut through the desert and there's more tension with the train on the narrow path

True, I hadn't thought about it all being the same kind of turns. In time trial I can see that being an issue, but in races you can use golden shrooms to cut through the desert and there's more tension with the train on the narrow path
I mean Kalamari is just for me emblematic of MK64 as whole, which I consider to have the worst track design in all of Mario Kart. You would have expected, with the jump to 3D, that Mario Kart would have received lots of interesting ideas, but there's almost none of that. Most of the courses are just super-wide avenues, with minimal vertical changes or obstacles. SMK obviously had limitations with its Mode 7 design, but they worked around that. The courses are almost all tightly designed, with tons of interesting turns and obstacles. MK64 has almost none of that thoughtfulness, it's like they thought just being 3D was enough. It reaches its nadir in Rainbow Road N64, one of the worst tracks of all time, a completely railed-in RR(basically heresy now), with like one obstacle over its 2-minute lap length, so you just spend 6 minutes on this awful track. I consider RR64 on MK8 a minor miracle in that they actually managed to make the course interesting, by removing most railings, and adding lots of points of interest like speed boosts, obstacles, etc. and cutting down the laps to one, making it a quick sprint. I still wouldn't say it's a great course, just because it's too difficult to make up ground, but it's at least decent.

Idk if anybody has mentioned this yet but with wave 2, we got 2 tracks that are up there as the longest tracks in the whole game! The previous holder of that title goes to Wii Wario's Gold Mine but now Tour Sydney Sprint and DS Waluigi Pinball are now the longest tracks in the game (going off time trials). Sydney Sprint may end up being optimized enough to be faster than Wario's Gold Mine since they are currently less than 1 second apart for their current 150cc world records but Waluigi Pinball is a whopping 20 seconds longer than both so that one won't be beaten for a while until maybe certain datamined/speculated courses make their way to the Booster Course Pass.

Kalamari Desert is still awful and boring, even with the new twist. Now you can drive on the boring stretch of train track instead of the boring flat desert, yay.

All of the other tracks are decent-to-good, was just hoping they could find a way to redeem a boring N64 track like they did with N64 Rainbow Road, but I guess lightning can't strike twice.
I really like the MK8 version. Its not the most spectacular track but it is also not very long so it doesn't matter that much. I really like the timing of the train when you are at 1st place.

You encounter the train the first time shortly before the tunnel and then directly before you must turn to the right to get back on the street.

Kinda felt almost movie like the first time I played it lol

I mean Kalamari is just for me emblematic of MK64 as whole, which I consider to have the worst track design in all of Mario Kart. You would have expected, with the jump to 3D, that Mario Kart would have received lots of interesting ideas, but there's almost none of that. Most of the courses are just super-wide avenues, with minimal vertical changes or obstacles. SMK obviously had limitations with its Mode 7 design, but they worked around that. The courses are almost all tightly designed, with tons of interesting turns and obstacles. MK64 has almost none of that thoughtfulness, it's like they thought just being 3D was enough. It reaches its nadir in Rainbow Road N64, one of the worst tracks of all time, a completely railed-in RR(basically heresy now), with like one obstacle over its 2-minute lap length, so you just spend 6 minutes on this awful track. I consider RR64 on MK8 a minor miracle in that they actually managed to make the course interesting, by removing most railings, and adding lots of points of interest like speed boosts, obstacles, etc. and cutting down the laps to one, making it a quick sprint. I still wouldn't say it's a great course, just because it's too difficult to make up ground, but it's at least decent.
I never played mk64, so I don't know the fine details about the track design. However, often when a game makes a big change in its formula, it will be pretty basic with a lot of room for improvement.

A recent example for this is ac New Horizons: you can now decorate an entire island instead of just your home, yet there's a lot of events cut or worsened when compared to its predecessor, New Leaf.

Therefore I'm really excited to see the next animal crossing, as they now have had time to readjust to decorating everything. It's a weird trend, but pretty understandable given that the devs need time to get used to the big change. Look at the difference between mk64 and Double Dash

Prediction per system:
-SNES: Koopa Beach 2
-GBA: Broken Pier, Sunset Wilds, Bowser’s Castle 2
-GCN: Waluigi Stadium, Daisy Cruiser, Dino Dino Jungle, Mushroom City
-DS: Peach Gardens, Airship Fortress
-Wii: Koopa Cape, DK’s Snowboard Cross, Maple Treeway, Rainbow Road
-3DS: Alpine Pass, Rainbow Road
-Tour: EVERYTHING

With actually the SNES one and the last GCN and GBA tracks as the most speculative, there isn’t much guessing to be left…

One feature I'd like in Kart 8DX (which won't happen, but maybe it can come to Future Kart) is a custom cup feature. I get that you can sort of do that in VS mode, but imagine if you could set up a Super Circuit Cup; 4 GBA tracks in succession; or an Ice World Cup - 4 snow themed tracks in succession. Just a simple change to how you access the content.

We can more or less do this, as I said, with VS mode, but you have to pop in and out of the course select between every race. Of course, the simple solution would be that, when you choose the courses for VS mode, you can choose them all at the start and then just race through them in sequence.

Prediction per system:

With actually the SNES one and the last GCN and GBA tracks as the most speculative, there isn’t much guessing to be left…
Probably the predictions I agree with the most.

Prediction per system:

No DK Mountain would be tragic.

If I could just pick the last tracks I think I’d want:

SNES Choco Island 2
GBA Bowser Castle 3, Boo Lake (I did want Broken Pier, but with Mushroom Gorge and Sky High Sundae I think I’m good on “bounce pad” courses. I think they’d lose the particular flavor of Broken Pier I love considering all GBA courses thus far have seen heavy alterations)
GCN Peach Beach, DK Mountain, Bowser’s Castle
DS Airship Fortress (already in Wave 2 I feel we are overly good on city courses so I guess I’ll part with Delfino Square)
Wii Rainbow Road

96 tracks and 60 million or more lifetime sales for Mario Kart 8 DX really does put the next installment in an interesting place, too.

Something like Mario Kart: Grand Prix, with annual season passes, might happen. Instead of 'just' tracks, though, I'd expect and hope for a more balanced content roll out. Extra drivers, vehicles, a new mode every now and again, battle courses. Something like the mission mode in Kart DS wouldn't go amiss.

Also an interesting question as to when we even get a new Mario Kart.

Seen this discussed in various areas online, but I'm not sure I agree with the next Mario Kart needing more than 32 tracks at launch. Mario Kart 8 came in very hot development wise because of the Wii U floundering, and it's noticeable in the corners the developers had to cut on like infamously battle mode. (Not to mention series staples like the cup victory animations)

Despite that the 32 tracks were all of extremely high quality. I think the retro tracks too set a high bar in terms of design changes and visual overhauls that it's so apparent it's on another level compared to the retro tracks in the BCP.

For Mario Kart 10 I'd rather see them stick to the fundamentals I guess instead of just content quantity. Rather than needing a higher track count to measure against MK8D at launch, focus on new modes and features.

i would think with how definitive this edition is in terms of being Mario Kart the next entry should be a clean break. At least no more retro or returning tracks as it's been done to death. All new content and likely some type of new spin on things. And the day it comes i'll never play MK8 again. As to when either holidays 23 after the DLC finishes but maybe that't too soon so Spring 24. i do believe the next game has been in the oven a long time and could be released this year if they wanted. But it will obviously be highly Drake enhanced and looks balls to the walls gorgeous. the only ? will be whether it's exclusive (most of us would hope so) but I don't think so. it might even run 720p on the base Switch with highly cut down visuals, as long as it runs.

Personally I very much doubt the next MK will run on OG Switch at all.

this would be the dream come true and one can only imagine how advanced the game will look and play compared to MK8 in a vastly improved engine. i just hope something is done to improve the online over the p2p system as that would take it to the next level. people who play a lot would be more than willing to pay for a proper online experience if that was an option.

For some reason it hadn’t registered with me till just now that Wii gets a track in every wave. Lucky bastards. Which DD could’ve gotten that treatment 😍 still can’t complain about four though

Wow, I never would’ve guessed! I figured they were shrinking and reimagining the geography a ton on these to fit in all the sights.

If Mumbai, Athens and Madrid really are the last 3 city courses, then I feel like they’ve made weird choices. As a European myself, I feel like Barcelona has much better (and obvious) sights as a Spain track, and Athens over Rome is another weird choice. Although it will probably have a Greek look and feel to it, which I will probably love, but Rome feels like a more prominent choice.

And I don’t know, Mumbai? Not really a city with a lot of highlights. Well, maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think Mumbai is the most interesting city to build a track around.

Next MK should go with a full open world battle royale structure.
I think they'll go full Nintendo Kart. I mean they've basically already pushed in that direction with the Zelda/F-Zero/AC content, there's no real reason to hold back now. And if it gets rid of the dumb baby characters(and metal characters which aren't just reskins) I'm all for it.

A reversed start order might be real interesting. So if you finish 1st you start the next race last, and vice versa. I love that in F-Zero - fighting your way through the pack is a great feeling.
And I don’t know, Mumbai? Not really a city with a lot of highlights. Well, maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think Mumbai is the most interesting city to build a track around.
Rotterdam would also be more distinct to me than Amsterdam because of it's angular and modern architecture, but they're understandably going for maximum recognition.

I really like all of the tracks in this Wave as well. Nintendo's really 2 for 2 on tracks with the Booster Course Pass. While Mario Circuit 3 is my least favorite of Wave 2 due to the relatively basic aesthetic (which, to be fair, SNES track and all and the devs were most likely trying to maintain a classic spirit of this super-classic course), there's no question it's a blast to race on with its technical curves and corners. Still, being the worst Wave 2 track is like being the "worst" Olympic gold medalist. It's still awesome and impressive. I think my favorites are Sydney Sprint and New York Minute too. I enjoy the city races that change between laps, love city courses in general, and adore the journey these tracks take racers on throughout each locale and destination.

I'm inclined to believe the current speculation in the Tour community that the bathroom course is actually a battle course and not a race course. Battle mode is still on the way for Tour after all, and it's possible we'll see some new non-city and non-retro battle courses show up just like for race courses.
Do the Battle Mode courses not have their own different naming pattern from the normal race courses? I was under the impression they do, based on some Tour Battle Mode datamine info that a friend sent me awhile back. For example:

Battle_Bgc_CookieLand - GCN Cookie Land
Battle_Bds_TwilightHouse - DS Twilight House
Battle_Bmob_Paris1 - Tour Paris Promenade
Battle_Bmob_NewYork1 - Tour New York Minute
Battle_Bagb_BattleCourse1 - GBA Battle Course 1

But maybe I’m missing something here, ‘cause if that was the case then surely there wouldn’t be speculation about this “mob-br” course potentially being a battle course, no?

Do the Battle Mode courses not have their own different naming pattern from the normal race courses? I was under the impression they do, based on some Tour Battle Mode datamine info that a friend sent me awhile back. For example:

Battle_Bgc_CookieLand - GCN Cookie Land
Battle_Bds_TwilightHouse - DS Twilight House
Battle_Bmob_Paris1 - Tour Paris Promenade
Battle_Bmob_NewYork1 - Tour New York Minute
Battle_Bagb_BattleCourse1 - GBA Battle Course 1

But maybe I’m missing something here, ‘cause if that was the case then surely there wouldn’t be speculation about this “mob-br” course potentially being a battle course, no?
There's no way for us to tell from the object name alone. As you can see above, in these listings (sound files) the battle courses have 'B' before their platform prefix; but in most places internally the race courses also have a letter that comes before the prefix, 'G' (I don't believe the meaning is known). Small snipit of icon names from the current version to get the point across:

unknown.png

Object names for the most part exclude this G, and as such the same would likely the case for the battle course B.

There's no way for us to tell from the object name alone. As you can see above, in these listings (sound files) the battle courses have 'B' before their platform prefix; but in most places internally the race courses also have a letter that comes before the prefix, 'G' (I don't believe the meaning is known). Small snipit of icon names from the current version to get the point across:

unknown.png

Object names for the most part exclude this G, and as such the same would likely the case for the battle course B.
Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation!

As much as I would love to see the next Mario Kart start with 40 or even 48 tracks, I am keeping my expectations at 32. I suppose that the one thing going for the next game is that it will be another "HD" game so ideally porting the new MK8 tracks should be much easier than recreating old tracks into HD form. On the other hand, Nintendo will probably want to incorporate whatever the new hook is into the retro games so that will take more work anyway.

Hopefully we get more modes like @MisterSpo mentioned. Mission mode would be great. The big addition I want is being able to customize races. Give me the option to change the number of laps and increase/decrease obstacles. Stuff like that.

As for post-game support, I am totally fine annual season passes. Give me two waves with two cups each, 2~3 new characters, and a battle map mode. Basically, what Nintendo did on the Wii-U.

I want Mario Kart X to have some new vehicle/race types. Gimme sky and boat races. We're going full Diddy Kong Racing with this shit.

Bold of everyone to assume the next Mario Kart won't just be Mario Kart 8 Ultimate or something like that
I don't think things like this are nearly as likely as some people suggest when Nintendo doesn't have to pull the ripcord on their faceplant of a console and can actually bring the successor to market in the intended timeframe, with the native software commensurately planned for.

I am puzzling with my own prediction at the moment, and there’s one thing I really doubt about. The only possibility for a GBA Bowser’s Castle is if it comes in wave 4. However, in that same wave, Airship Fortress is a more given one. Do you think they can put them in the same wave? They are giving me the same vibe, so I was wondering.

The only other option for a BC is a SNES BC, which is never remade up until now. Maybe a GCN BC in the Spiny Cup but I don’t believe that either.

I FINALLY got to play all 8 courses (since I didn't buy the pass had to rely on online). Sydney was a great finale and I'm itching to play it again. So far I like all of them well enough, I just find NYM and Snow Land a tad boring at times.

Seen this discussed in various areas online, but I'm not sure I agree with the next Mario Kart needing more than 32 tracks at launch. Mario Kart 8 came in very hot development wise because of the Wii U floundering, and it's noticeable in the corners the developers had to cut on like infamously battle mode. (Not to mention series staples like the cup victory animations)

Despite that the 32 tracks were all of extremely high quality. I think the retro tracks too set a high bar in terms of design changes and visual overhauls that it's so apparent it's on another level compared to the retro tracks in the BCP.

For Mario Kart 10 I'd rather see them stick to the fundamentals I guess instead of just content quantity. Rather than needing a higher track count to measure against MK8D at launch, focus on new modes and features.
The MK series desperately needs more modes. Time trials and just playing the cups at faster and higher difficulties ain't gonna cut it for single player. Is it weird to want a story mode of some sorts with boss races?

I am puzzling with my own prediction at the moment, and there’s one thing I really doubt about. The only possibility for a GBA Bowser’s Castle is if it comes in wave 4. However, in that same wave, Airship Fortress is a more given one. Do you think they can put them in the same wave? They are giving me the same vibe, so I was wondering.

The only other option for a BC is a SNES BC, which is never remade up until now. Maybe a GCN BC in the Spiny Cup but I don’t believe that either.
I'm seeing two outcomes myself right now:
  • SNES Koopa Beach and GBA Bowser Castle
  • SNES Bowser's Castle and GBA Cheep Cheep Island
The Beach and Bowser's Castle course tropes are pretty much entirely unrepresented among the retro track selections so far (currently the only beach course in the whole DLC is the first lap of Los Angeles Laps), and these two slots feel like the best place to slide them in. I get the feeling we may get an answer relatively soon though, as the Tour following Sundae Tour appears to be Bowser themed based on the Mii Costume teaser. The next Tour also overlaps with the anniversary of Super Mario Kart's release in Japan, so if they're ever going to bring out a SNES Bowser's Castle and a 16-Bit Bowser skin I can't imagine a better time.

If we get a different Bowser course like GBA BC3 or BC4, or even N64 or GCN, then of course my prediction would shift accordingly. I do think this DLC could use two retro Bowser's Castle tracks though; 8DX still only has the one original 8 BC, no retros at all.

But then we will neither get a beach track nor a Bowser’s Castle in the pass, which I would find weird either way.
Don't forget though that Vanilla Lake was found on the banner and it's advertised on Coconut Mall. Also, we're getting two Waluigi courses in successive waves. It seems like they don't really care.

Don't forget though that Vanilla Lake was found on the banner and it's advertised on Coconut Mall. Also, we're getting two Waluigi courses in successive waves. It seems like they don't really care.

Those advertisement in-game banners are just copy-pasted from Tour, so I don’t know if we can confirm courses with those banners. Can’t remember Vanilla Lake being on the leaked banner.

About the Waluigi courses: I think, apart from the Waluigi colors and atmosphere on the tracks, they’re totally different courses in look and feel. They are much further away from each other than Snow Land and Vanilla Lake. But maybe that’s just me.

Last edited:
Was Vanilla Lake really on the banner? I thought that was just some early guess. (The DK Summit one)

Also does anyone wonder if they originally planned on having the booster pass tracks full of red girders, or were they just reusing a lot of be-girdered Tour screenshots for some reason. It won't be entirely girder free now with the one in Kalamari Desert. Maybe they had planned more of them that appear on different laps to follow the city theme of each lap being different.

Last edited:
Vanilla Lake was not on the banner leak. It was only expected because of the in game ads for it in Coconut Mall. Snow Land, not to mention the other three upcoming snow courses, covers Vanilla Lake.

A beach course, Bowser’s Castle, and Choco Island are the last three classic themes not covered. One is getting left out. I’m personally pulling for a classic beach course to get left out only because we still could get a modern beach course at least with Peach Beach.

If we're going to talk about representation, the only Luigi track in the game is Twisted Mansion, they will soon need to add another Luigi Circuit to balance out the Wah.

The MK series desperately needs more modes. Time trials and just playing the cups at faster and higher difficulties ain't gonna cut it for single player. Is it weird to want a story mode of some sorts with boss races?

It's shocking they've never tried their own spin on an adventure mode in the series to this point like other Kart racers.

Back
Top Bottom