• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
i stand corrected on Sundae there's a big cut you can take and some interesting anti-grav floating all around. Also a big cut on Snow Land and the mandatory end jump on Mushroom Gorge which is huge!

I’ve played each of the courses four times here’s my early impressions:

New York Minute: I like this track a lot already. Some very fun turns and a good soundtrack. Happy to race through Central Park.

Mario Circuit 3: Excellent course better than ever here. Great sense of speed and tight turns.

Kalimari Desert: Real mixed feelings here. At least on 150cc the train is not remotely an obstacle which does improve pacing, but it doesn’t feel like the original track. Going through the cave is cool, but it also feels like a two lap race now. If Nintendo was cool, they’d let you hit X or something and have a traditional 3 lap race as an option. Would add more value too.

Waluigi Pinball: All of the Wave 2 tracks look good, but this got the royal treatment. Excellent course.

Sydney Sprint: this is a very cool course. I don’t know if it’s my favorite of the city courses, but this makes the most of the shifting lap structure. Lap 2 is a journey.

Snow Land: I basically forgot Snow Land existed even though I just played it as recently as February lol. Got a huge overhaul here and became its own thing. Good turns (especially around the lake) and I love the cute penguins.

Mushroom Gorge: a simple course with a few great turns that are fun to optimize. The cave section looks great, but I wish it was a tad faster.

Sky High Sundae: I love the aesthetics, but the actual track is pretty straightforward (an oval) which is a little disappointing as the last track in the wave. The unique blind jumps are interesting and I like that you can recover even if it’s slower. The railings are bizarre. Why the railing on the big turn gives you boosts makes no sense, but I appreciate it all the same. Not an issue for me, but it’s bizarre the lower level of the blind jump section doesn’t function as a barrier. If someone fell down they are already having a bad time so they really don’t need the game tricking them. (I regularly play with a beginner and learning new tracks in general gives them far more grief than joy sadly. Today was rough :/ )

Overall the highs and generally more difficult tracks of Wave 1 give it the edge for me, but this was a far more consistent Wave overall and the graphics look great. Really no big complaints here. I think my early ranking is:

Mario Circuit 3
Waluigi Pinball
Sydney Sprint
Snow Land
New York Minute
Mushroom Gorge
Kalimari Desert
Sky High Sundae

Excited to play more tonight!

In the time to write my post, sad to see we won’t be guessing Wave 3. Excellent track line up though. Very happy Rock Rock Mountain made it in.

Breh, Super Mario Kart was my first and favourite one until Mario Kart DS. I friggin' love those tracks, but it ain't no Shroom Ridge.

EDIT: Sheeeeet Sundae Skyway (not sure what the English name is, the Dutch one is super fun though) is exhilarating. It almost goes off the rails which is almost SEGA arcade-like.
Yes, in Sky High Sundae you are expected to perform as many tricks as possible. The gameplay has some strong SEGA vibes.
I got the impression that the railings in Sundae were supposed to make you feel like you’re “grinding” on the rails.
Yeah! Which reminded me of Jet Set Radio.

I can't believe we already know Wave 3 lol

Only mystery is which is the GBA ghost track between Boo Lake and Broken Pier

And Merry Mountain sounds so grand! Very glad it's coming in time for the holidays this year

Well shit, looks like Luigi's Mansion is becoming less and less likely
i mean unless they pull another surprise out like peach gardens there's really nothing else to go in that other DS slot

airship fortress, maybe, but there's still a few unknown numbers

Quoted by: tee
So I just finished trying out the courses for the first time. Snap judgements:
  • New York Minute makes me happy as someone who loves Manhattan. The course is solid too but I played enough of it on Tour so that's not a surprise.
  • Mario Circuit 3's got the turns down pat. A great choice for a very retro styled nostalgia course, though you gotta take one of the turns really early to drift around it. People calling this track ugly are wrong.
  • Kalimari Desert has an amazing remix. The track itself is fine.
  • Waluigi Pinball benefits a lot from the extra lighting of the BCP. Still a very well designed course, you can see why peoole hold this one up as a favorite, though they probably could have integrated antigravity at some point. The reused song does take me out of it a little, though.
  • Sydney Sprint is the surprise of Wave 2 - by far the best of the city tracks with a great set of layouts and an amazing song.
  • Snow Land was pleasant, but I don't have much strong feelings for it at the moment. Maybe a replay will change things.
  • Mushroom Gorge is a Wii favorite, and it's...alright here? I feel like the mushrooms bounce you a little too high? Maybe that's me? I don't know.
  • Sky-Hugh Sundae goes to show that good visual design and fun integration of antigravity can make even an oval interesting.
I may or may not partake in listening to the leaked songs. Might wait to keep the surprise.

i mean unless they pull another surprise out like peach gardens there's really nothing else to go in that other DS slot

airship fortress, maybe, but there's still a few unknown numbers
There's only one non-confirmed DS slot- really hoping it's Airship Fortress, I can go without Luigi's Mansion

Peach Gardens is fine, people seem to dig it, but getting it over either Airship Fortress or Delfino Square (or both)... eh....

There's only one non-confirmed DS slot- really hoping it's Airship Fortress, I can go without Luigi's Mansion
there's one non-confirmed DS slots, but still more slots that are outright unknown in the last few packs. unless they really kick tour course production into high gear, some of them are going to have to be retro tracks

there's one non-confirmed DS slots, but still more slots that are outright unknown in the last few packs. unless they really kick tour course production into high gear, some of them are going to have to be retro tracks
Maybe not. We'll see

Also, I'm sorry to every European here, but I will be calling the track "Rock Rock Mountain" when I eventually make the graphics for the thread.

No, I will not be taking any questions on this.

Also, I'm sorry to every European here, but I will be calling the track "Rock Rock Mountain" when I eventually make the graphics for the thread.

No, I will not be taking any questions on this.
Not speaking American is a punishment worthy of being made to eat at Burger King.

Good a time as any to update these. Will hide these in a quote for now if some people are trying to avoid the new leak.

Dmq2hCl.png
L0xFhtf.png

lol can't believe we got more data mine leaks. I'll listen to the new tracks tomorrow

Peach Gardens is a decent pick, I'd prefer it over Luigi's Mansion

Acorn Cup lookin real Canadian.
Also bummed about Vancouver Velocity being the last one, but like you said if Acorn Cup is the Canadian love letter then maybe there's a chance for Toronto and Montreal courses 😋

(Toronto is in perpetual gridlock traffic, Montreal is a massive construction zone)

So I'm not crazy and the controls feel floaty in sky high sundae, right?
I think it’s the number of blind jumps you have to make. You get a lot of airtime in that course.

And now I have to check out of this thread. Don’t wanna hear about leaks!

Played through the courses again.

As far as "tricky heavy oval courses" are concerned, Sky-High Sundae is the cooler cousin of Excitebike Arena. Excitebike Arena wishes it was as dynamic as Sky-High Sundae.

Hey @VolcanicDynamo , is there an active Famiboards tournament organized that we can sign up for in the online lobby? I just made one up on a whim but if there's an existing one for the thread I'd love to join!

The leaked Moon Cup tracks look fantastic, the other is going to depend on how well they remix and remake some of the tracks.

Played through the courses again.

As far as "tricky heavy oval courses" are concerned, Sky-High Sundae is the cooler cousin of Excitebike Arena. Excitebike Arena wishes it was as dynamic as Sky-High Sundae.
Of course it’s cooler, the track is made out of ice cream

wow the new tracks are all great, big step up from the first wave

very weird to me how the handrails on the stairs on sky-high sundae count as anti-grav boosts lol, feels just a little bit like an afterthought

Hey @VolcanicDynamo , is there an active Famiboards tournament organized that we can sign up for in the online lobby? I just made one up on a whim but if there's an existing one for the thread I'd love to join!
We don't have one, so feel free to share it here!
I don't hear how that's similar to New York Minute's theme.
nGMrD.gif

...I never said NYM?

I said the amsterdam remix from the datamine
It's a naming gag - New York was colonized by the Dutch first and they called it "New Amsterdam" before the British took over and renamed it.

Either because I don't want to deal with the suspense, don't want to dodge leaks/spoilers for a year, and am just all around weak-willed, I sampled the bits that chap released...

Hoo boy, all of it has me excited from just a second or two of sound. If I have to wait until the end of next year to get Vancouver Velocity, I'm going to do my damnedest to make sure I make it that far!

Ok following the Wave 2 datamine, thought I’d do another update of my Mario Kart Speculation Score Card Of Sorts. Here’s what’s left pulling in the banner leak:

SNES 1
N64 Complete!
GBA 2* (one is Boo Lake or Broken Pier)
GameCube 3
DS 1
Wii 3* (DK Summit and Koopa Cape)
3DS Complete!
Tour 3
??? 5

Loose Ends
Mario Circuit 1 Banner Leak > Mario Circuit 3
GBA Rainbow Road discussed for Wave 2 > Snow Land.

Back
Top Bottom