• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Didn't like the flat visuals in New York Minute, but the lap changes are solid and the music is spectacular. Sydney Run comes off better visually, again has excellent music, and again has good lap changes. Better than the city courses from Wave 1 on both counts.
This is a great point that I hadn't quite put my finger on. The city tracks in Wave 2 are much more fun than those in Wave 1 because the laps flow together much better. I do think that Sydney succeeds in this a little better than New York, but they're definitely close.

For comparison

1280px-MK8-Course-3DS_ToadCircuit.jpg
This was not the sand texture used initially. Pretty sure this is from the initial reveal, while the current texture was there on release.

They didn't change the Toad Circuit sand texture but instead they added tire tracks that are left behind when you drive on it (also applies to Choco Mountain too).

That flute wtf, the use of instruments is so great in this:

I also love the New York Minute Music, Mario and Trumpets really give me New Donk City and well Mario Vibes:

The Toad Circuit sand looks like it has an actual sand texture applied to it instead of just being a flat surface colored like sand. Here's what it looked like before, if you don't recall:

DveklGS.png

That flute wtf, the use of instruments is so great in this:

I also love the New York Minute Music, Mario and Trumpets really give me New Donk City and well Mario Vibes:

Hiring a few live musicians and giving your composers/arrangers the time they need was probably a relatively small part of the expense of developing the DLC, but greatly elevates the package. They made the right call in that regard.

Since Coconut mall has been updated, I will now foolishly hope they will eventually add a new remix for Waluigi Pinball in a future wave.

I swear, wave 2 deleted Super Horns from my game, gave Green Shells heat-seeking properties, and cut the warning sound for incoming Red Shells down to a millisecond. Had half a dozen 3-star runs crushed at the finish line by a barrage of spinys, shells and lightning strikes, before I eventually overcame my struggles on quite a few of the new tracks to build up secure leads.

I swear, wave 2 deleted Super Horns from my game, gave Green Shells heat-seeking properties, and cut the warning sound for incoming Red Shells down to a millisecond. Had half a dozen 3-star runs crushed at the finish line by a barrage of spinys, shells and lightning strikes, before I eventually overcame my struggles on quite a few of the new tracks to build up secure leads.
They definitely messed with the item rotation. I'm getting blasted by blue shells every single race lol

lol I got the Superhorn in like 4-5 out of 8 races while being first, no joke.

I feel like an insane man. I found Wave 2 substantially easier than Wave 1, the latter having some very awkward lines and complicated courses that really demanded a lot of tries in grand prix.
Same, but all four cups are fun!

They definitely messed with the item rotation. I'm getting blasted by blue shells every single race lol

I'm only half kidding because it really felt like CPU upped their item game.

lol I got the Superhorn in like 4-5 out of 8 races while being first, no joke.

My post was a litte exaggerated because, in truth, I got 2 Superhorns. Each time they were stolen within one second by a Boo. No lie. These two cups are taking the piss out of me.

Love Sidney, plenty of diversity and an awesome song. By far my favorite city track so far. My three stand outs right now are Sky-High Sundae, Sidney and Snowland.

My post was a litte exaggerated because, in truth, I got 2 Superhorns. Each time they were stolen within one second by a Boo. No lie. These two cups are taking the piss out of me.
There has to be some code in there that fucks you up on purpose because everytime I get a good item chances are high that a fucking Boo just steals it from me and most of the time at the worst moments. Like for example getting a Mushroom stolen when you go for a shortcut.

There has to be some code in there that fucks you up on purpose because everytime I get a good item chances are high that a fucking Boo just steals it from me and most of the time at the worst moments. Like for example getting a Mushroom stolen when you go for a shortcut.

That and I wish I was half as accurate aiming green shells forward as the CPU is tossing them backwards. Fuckers predict with pin-point precision where my power-slide is gonna end up better than I know my own trajectory.

The boo tries to steal from first place if he has an item. That's why the smart strat is to have a coin in the first slot and a defensive item in the second slot.

Early impressions, could change over time:
  • New York Minute: Big step up from the previous Tour tracks. Very hectic, which I like a lot. Buildings look pretty meh but that's expected, really like the road textures though. Much better than I thought it would be.
  • Mario Circuit 3: Meh. Donut Plains 3 basically has the exact same layout (Rainbow Road is pretty similar too) and is not only much prettier to look at, but I honestly think it plays better too. This one is ugly as hell and isn't particularly interesting. Definitely my least favorite of the BCP so far.
  • Kalimari Desert: The alternate lap doesn't change as much as I hoped it would. Still quite fun and definitely a classic, but even with the alternate route it's still not particularly complex.
  • Waluigi Pinball: No remix aside, it's Waluigi Pinball. Best track of wave 2, and the 2nd best track of the BCP so far, only behind Coconut Mall.
  • Sydney Sprint: The second lap is unnecessarily long, but otherwise this is the best Tour track yet. Music is phenomenal, and the track drives very nicely.
  • Snow Land: Very cozy, albeit unambitious, track. I'm liking the trend we're getting with GBA tracks here, as Sky Garden filled the same niche.
  • Mushroom Gorge: Easily the best looking track of the BCP so far, and it plays spectacularly. Definitely its best appearance yet.
  • Sky-High Sundae: Parts of it feel kinda janky, but otherwise this is everything ExciteBike Arena should have been.
Overall ranking of the entire BCP up to this point:
  1. Wii Coconut Mall
  2. DS Waluigi Pinball
  3. Ninja Hideaway
  4. DS Shroom Ridge
  5. Wii Mushroom Gorge
  6. N64 Choco Mountain
  7. Sky-High Sundae
  8. Tour Sydney Sprint
  9. Tour New York Minute
  10. N64 Kalimari Desert
  11. GBA Snow Land
  12. GBA Sky Garden
  13. Tour Paris Promenade
  14. Tour Tokyo Blur
  15. 3DS Toad Circuit
  16. SNES Mario Circuit 3
Overall, I honestly don't know which wave I prefer overall. Wave 1 has a significant gap between it's top 4 tracks and bottom 4 tracks, while wave 2 fills that gap in quite nicely at the expense of the heights that wave 1 reached. They complement each other very well in that regard. If I had to choose though, I would probably go with wave 1, if only due to the music being stronger overall.

The boo tries to steal from first place if he has an item. That's why the smart strat is to have a coin in the first slot and a defensive item in the second slot.
As an aside, I always thought it dumb that you couldn't swap items everytime you were carrying two. There's an extra face button that has no assigned purpose, or could just as easily map it to one of the bumper triggers if drifting is still kept to the full sized triggers.

yeah. I always hold onto a coin. You also almost never get a 2nd coin if you have a coin in the first slot.

MC3 really is a love-it-or-hate-it track if I read through online comments.

The city tracks are lovely! Didn’t expect that since I thought NY and Sydney were kind of simple in MKT, but they pulled of a good job. I just hate the 2D PNG’s of the audience in the Opera House. It’s SO ugly.

mario circuit 3 is a good track but it's aesthetically boring

which is 100% the point, but i understand why people aren't too into it

Online track rotation is so dubious. One room does Hyrule Circuit every 3 rounds, another Electrodome. You end up playing the same track the entire night for some reason xD . And some tracks never appear.
it's the best god damned track in the dlc and I refuse to hear otherwise
Otherwise. xoxo. EDIT: just got it online, and it's GOOD. But not the bext.

MC3 really is a love-it-or-hate-it track if I read through online comments.

The city tracks are lovely! Didn’t expect that since I thought NY and Sydney were kind of simple in MKT, but they pulled of a good job. I just hate the 2D PNG’s of the audience in the Opera House. It’s SO ugly.
Yeah it’s way too obvious with the direction you drive through

Huh? What's that? Is that the trifling patter of a skill issue I hear?
Breh, Super Mario Kart was my first and favourite one until Mario Kart DS. I friggin' love those tracks, but it ain't no Shroom Ridge.

EDIT: Sheeeeet Sundae Skyway (not sure what the English name is, the Dutch one is super fun though) is exhilarating. It almost goes off the rails which is almost SEGA arcade-like.

Last edited:
Overall I love this pack. Snow Land was a surprising delight!

My two knocks after one run of the cups are:

Mushroom Gorge felt scaled down? It didn’t feel as grand as in Wii.

Sky High Sundae feels like a fan mod track lol. An excellent one of course, but something about it felt really disorienting and not “fit” to MK8s engine to me.

sky high sundae is very much merry mountain tier

would be good filler for tour, but as it stands it's just floating platforms. if not for being anti-grav it'd probably go down as the worst track in the pack.

MC3 = best track, no nonsense racing & bagging all the way

Sundae = worst, no shortcuts, almost like it's on rails

Sydney is easily the best City track of the four so happy with that. Snow Land is good, Pinball plays great too. New York will take some getting used to but not loving it so far, getting Turnpike flashbacks plus slippery floor and all the left turns throw me off. Mushroom Gorge have to check out the strats as so far no idea how to play that one. probably lower tier regardless.

Sydney music is goated. I really enjoyed all the new tracks. I was getting hammered with shells on Mushroom Gorge and Sky High Sundae, though.

Mushroom Gorge was frustrating because I kept getting nailed with a shell after that first initial mushroom, and then everyone else starts tossing them at you before you get to the next batch of mushrooms. I also don't remember falling off the mushrooms as much on Wii, did they make them bouncier or something?

Snow Land is my favourite from wave two. Just enjoy the races a lot and the music is catchy. Sydney is awesome too.

Just took a quick trip through both the new cups! Really liked Sydney, loved Waluigi Pinball! Def liked this wave more than the last

Back
Top Bottom