• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
It’d work if the starting line was moved to the Harbor Bridge. Lap one sends you down SS1. Lap two sends you down what I’m presuming will be SS3, which flips the direction you cross the starting line. Then lap three sends you down SS2.
I think they could make it work just by moving it one corner forward, but the the bridge would probably be better.

Edit: I think it is just going to have a long second lap.
First lap is Sprint 1, second lap goes over the water to the 3rd area and then along the bridge and back inside the opera House, then third lap is Sprint 2.

Last edited:
Mushroom Gorge and Mario Circuit 3 are similar in that they sound largely the same as their original tracks in the snippets but boy are they -clean-.

That's a nice birthday present for me!!!
Can't wait!!!
DAMN THE NEW TRACK LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL AND HAS ANTIGRAVITY!!! WALUIGI PINBALL LOOKS AMAZING TOO!!
Tbh all of the tracks look way more akin to Mario Kart 8 than the ones in wave 1.

Maybe they'll use Sky-High Sundae to introduce anti-grav to Tour?
i'm skeptical they'll ever add anti-grav to tour just because of how much work it'll be at this point to go back and add the appropriate animations to every character and kart. the track doesn't really seem to rely on anti-grav at all since it remains flat and doesn't do anything exciting like the steep inclines or 360 twists we got from 8's baseline antigrav courses, so it's probably just a bonus that it showed up at all.

Anyone feels like wave 2 is much better graphic-wise than wave 1?
Think it’s more a product of the Wave 1 courses just not meshing well with the Tour artstyle. Bright sunny skies don’t look great with the flat textures and geometry.

The only Wave 2 track to feature that style is Sydney Sprint, and unsurprisingly it looks the least polished to me.

Anyone feels like wave 2 is much better graphic-wise than wave 1?
Yeah, but I feel like it is because most of the tracks generally have a more imaginative setting. Waluigi Pinball for example fits very well the old artstyle.

Kalimari Desert's remix sounds great. The synths for SNES Mario Circuit sound even worse than the original, which is impressive in its own right.

I’ve never played Waluigi Pinball (well…I guess I probably did at a friend’s, but don’t remember it at all). I’m excited.

Also, I have no attachment to a single SNES course but I did think it was gonna be kind of cool to have the first ever MK track in if Mario Circuit 1 had been the pick. But I’ll take everyone’s word for it here that 3 is a more exciting choice!
I called it 'Sundae circuit' in the prediction thread, that must be worth something.

@MondoMega Is the 'YI' course in Tour confirmed to be Yoshi's Island in the datamine, or could it have been Yoshi's ice cream? Because the course seems to be a Yoshi-run Ice Cream parlour theme.
Edit: your cornet costume idea seems to be spot on, there's a giant cornet with a leaf in the background of the track.
If there was a Yoshi’s Island track with the aesthetic of that game translated into a course…that could be so incredible.

Wave 2 looks better to me than Wave 1 for some reason. And I’m excited that there’s an original track! Can’t wait for August 4.

By the way, GBA rainbow road was apparently the leaker's clue, and not the answer. (It was literally a picture of GBA rainbow road, while all the others were cryptic photoshops)

Only thing I remember about Mushroom Gorge is continuously falling of the mushrooms because of constant hits by items or other racers bumping into me.

This Wave definitely feels like a step up over Wave 1. More interesting and varied courses, better graphics, an actual new course, anti-gravity. It's worth the wait.

It’s one of the least oldest tracks :)
No it isn't...

We are currently farther away from Mariokart Wii(14 years since it released) , Than Mariokart 64 is to mariokart Wii(12 years).

The track mushroom gorge is over 14 years old at this point.

Snow Land might be my most anticipated track of the Wave. I LOVE winter tracks and this one looks beautiful. Second most anticipated is Sydney Sprint because they actually added more sections to the Tour layout (that beach side park section wasn't in the original). I'm so excited!

We're 100% getting an Odyssey course sooner than later too.

No it isn't...

We are currently farther away from Mariokart Wii(14 years since it released) , Than Mariokart 64 is to mariokart Wii(12 years).

The track mushroom gorge is over 14 years old at this point.

Tbh, your point is nothing to do with what I said. I never said the Wii tracks weren’t ‘old’. I was making the point that Wii is actually one of the least old MK games. There’s a difference. If there is a 101 year old, 100 year old and 90 year old in a room then the 90 year old is the least old. It’s not difficult to understand.

There are 5 Mario Kart games older than MK Wii, and not including 8 (which is the current game receiving the retro tracks), there are just two entries after it and one of them is a current mobile game.

Mario Kart Wii may be so many years old but it’s factually one of the least oldest games in the series.

My point was that there are tracks coming from much older and earlier games in the series. My statement was that a Wii track would be one of the least oldest tracks is 100% factual if we’re getting tracks from SMK to MKDS.

SMK
MK64
MKSC
MKDD
MKDS

MK Wii

MK7
Tour

Last edited:
Of the 5 non-tour retro tracks in this wave, 3 of them appeared in the MK7's retro cups. I guess that will be a theme as so much of the tour content comes via the 3DS.

Other MK7 retro courses likely to come are Daisy Cruiser, Maple Treeway, Koopa Cape, Dino Dino Jungle and Airship Fortress. Maybe DK Pass, but DK Summit was on the banner so they might not do both.

Last edited:
It's always been there, they just haven't gotten around to putting it in Tour yet. It'll probably pop up pretty soon as Sydney Sprint 3.
Even so, it coming to MK8D before Tour is pretty exciting. That means stuff like Amsterdam Drift, Singapore Speedway, and Bangkok Rush are on the table as soon as the next wave.

Of the 5 non-tour retro tracks in this wave, 3 of them appeared in the MK7's retro cups. I guess that will be a theme as so much of the tour content comes via the 3DS.

Other MK7 retro courses likely to come are Daisy Cruiser, Maple Treeway, Koopa Cape, Dino Dino Jungle and Airship Fortress. Maybe DK Pass, but DK Summit was on the banner so they might not do both.

I don't really see this as a problem, since MK7 had an excellent retro track selection :D

I am secretly hoping for DK Mountain to come instead of Dino Dino Jungle, since I think the former is much more interesting (and more of a fan favourite? Although that might just be personal idea).

Snow Land might be my most anticipated track of the Wave. I LOVE winter tracks and this one looks beautiful. Second most anticipated is Sydney Sprint because they actually added more sections to the Tour layout (that beach side park section wasn't in the original). I'm so excited!

We're 100% getting an Odyssey course sooner than later too.
I was really surprised at how fun that Snow track looks. One of the more interesting tracks from the 2D games we got so far.

I still think it's weird they're holding back on the anti-grav for most of these courses. OK the new track has it, but given anti-grav is kinda 8's whole schitck, only having 1 track out of 16 so far use it seems wasteful. I mean Waluigi Pinball is perfect for this mechanic. Definitely betrays that these extra tracks only exist because of the work they've been doing for Tour.

Still, can't complain too much, Waluigi Pinball and Kalahari Desert are great picks, and more Super Circuit tracks getting spruced up is a win too

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I honestly don't want any crossover tracks. I like the creativity of tracks original to Mario Kart.

If there's a crossover, I'd rather save it for a game that centers around that concept.

I'm pretty sure they're the same

this is a pretty unfortunate asterisk for 8

Meanwhile my brain just goes "they were the same before, they should be the same now".

(Is 59 out of 60 unique tracks really an asterisk? Mario Kart 8 was the only title that even managed to have 16 unique pieces for its new tracks, reusing music is the norm.)

Meanwhile my brain just goes "they were the same before, they should be the same now".

(Is 59 out of 60 unique tracks really an asterisk? Mario Kart 8 was the only title that even managed to have 16 unique pieces for its new tracks, reusing music is the norm.)
yeah, we're back to a lower standard

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I honestly don't want any crossover tracks. I like the creativity of tracks original to Mario Kart.

If there's a crossover, I'd rather save it for a game that centers around that concept.
I (mostly) agree. I found the Zelda and Animal Crossing tracks pretty boring tbh and I feel many crossover tracks would fall in the same trap of focusing more on the "look" of the track than having an interesting lay-out.

I said "mostly" agree though since the F-Zero tracks are just fantastic and I'd gladly take more of them.

I still think it's weird they're holding back on the anti-grav for most of these courses. OK the new track has it, but given anti-grav is kinda 8's whole schitck, only having 1 track out of 16 so far use it seems wasteful. I mean Waluigi Pinball is perfect for this mechanic. Definitely betrays that these extra tracks only exist because of the work they've been doing for Tour.
I guess the thing with that is mk8's anti grav is supposed to give you a boost with collisions, but Waluigi Pinball is about avoiding collisions with those bumpers instead. The new course seems to be entirely anti grav, I think, so it will simply transfer to Tour in wheeled mode.

Updated OP & Wave 1 Banners
Alright, the ST should be updated with all the latest information. Along with updating the main informational graphic, I thought I would freshen things up with some new banners referencing the Wave 2 courses.

For posterity, here are the banners used during Wave 1:

The-Race-Continues.png

(Mario + Tokyo Blur)

How-To-Purchase.png

(Peach + Coconut Mall)

Trailers-Media.png

(Luigi + Paris Promenade)

SeeYou.png

(Bowser + Ninja Hideaway)

Like I mentioned before, there was an Easter egg cameo hidden in one of the banners. I placed it in Banner 4, right behind Bowser - it's our good friend Pionpi from Super Mario Land! Why Pionpi, you might ask? Well, @Clov was hyping them up and it was on my mind when I made the banner.

But my cameo spree hasn't ended there! Now there are eight cameos across the Wave 2 banners. A couple are a reference to my other threads, while the other six are references to posters in this thread. Can you find and identify them all?

Seeing how Snow Land looks, looking back at Cheese Land and Ribbon Road, and looking at how solid tracks like Sunset Wilds could be in a future wave, Sky Garden is sticking out like a sore thumb in the category of Super Circuit retros, isn't it? And that's sad, since Sky Garden is my favourite Super Circuit track in the original. Oh well, at least I love the music...

Seeing how Snow Land looks, looking back at Cheese Land and Ribbon Road, and looking at how solid tracks like Sunset Wilds could be in a future wave, Sky Garden is sticking out like a sore thumb in the category of Super Circuit retros, isn't it? And that's sad, since Sky Garden is my favourite Super Circuit track in the original. Oh well, at least I love the music...
you know.... your mentioned tracks where so modern and good, that I totally forgot that they where 2D tracks back in the day.

Still.... I think there is a place for more traditional remake tracks that are closer to the original. I love the SNES Rainbow Road for example.

you know.... your mentioned tracks where so modern and good, that I totally forgot that they where 2D tracks back in the day.

Still I thinl there is a place for more traditional remake tracks that are closer to the original. I love the SNEA Rainbow Road for example.

SNES Donut Plains and Rainbow Road are tracks I almost always pick whenever they show up online! I love the simplicity. They're just straightforward and nicely themed. Maybe MC3 will fall in that category too, we'll see. In Wii, I didn't like the track for the hard turns. But back then, I was younger, I always used the Wii Wheel, and I just sucked at Mario Kart :p I think I will like it better now!

You know, there's nothing wrong with the version of Sky Garden in MK8DX, it's just an okay simple track, but I think the new version misses the essence of the original Sky Garden, with the jumps and the shortcuts. That's the problem I have with that track I think, not the simplicity.

I just don't like how Sky Garden looks. I actually really like the layout and the music is fire, but the stage is ugly as fuck.

Last edited:
Snow Land is a huge surprise, did not see them bringing that back for MK8D and Tour. Sky High Sundae looks to be a lot of fun too although not as intricate as Ninja Hideaway.

Next wave will be interesting cause we will get the last 2 MK7 tracks if the prefix datamine holds true.

Back
Top Bottom