• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Mario Kart 64 Tournament |ST| We have reached the Final Four!

What is your favorite track?

• Luigi's Raceway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moo Moo Farm

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Koop Troopa Beach

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Kalimari Desert

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Toad's Turnpike

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Frappe Snowland

• Choco Mountain

• Mario Raceway

• Wario Stadium

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Sherbert Land

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Royal Raceway

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Bowser's Castle

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • DK's Jungle Parkway

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Yoshi Valley

• Banshee Boardwalk

• Rainbow Road

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
k9rn1bG.png

Welcome to Mario Kart...........

QIj2IDy.png

This is the first of (hopefully) many tournaments in the Famiboards Forums! In honor of the arrival of Nintendo 64 games to the NSO, our first game will be Mario Kart 64.

7cDAIHU.png

• Nintendo Switch System
  • Subscription to Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack
  • Internet connection

EIoQlUj.png

• Please post below that you are interested in participating.
  • Please make sure you vote in the poll as well as this will help determine the tracks used in each round.
  • Deadline to sign up is October 25th, 2021 at 11:59pm PST

2vyXqAq.png

Preliminary/Qualifying Round- Yoshi @ Luigi Raceway
  • Each player will complete a time trial of three laps and submit the total time in this thread with a screenshot from their Switch.
  • You can make as many attempts, but you can only submit a time once. Once submitted, that time is locked in.
  • Please ping me @Josh5890 when you post your time. I will confirm by "Yeah!"ing your post.
  • All of the times will be compiled and ranked for seeding purposes.
  • If there are more than 64 participants, the top 64 times will be accepted as entry into the main event.
  • The deadline to submit a time is October 27th, 2021 at 11:59pm PST.

Main Tournament

First Round- 8 Tracks

WWl3kIz.png

Championship Round- All tracks, in order.

• Four players will compete against each other in an 8 or 16 cup race. Order will be decided beforehand.
  • 150 CC Mode
  • Characters will be chosen in order with the higher seed getting first pick. Characters are to remain the same throughout each round.
  • The top seed in each group will be asked to host.
  • At the end of the final round, each team will post a screenshot. Preferably another person in the group will "Yeah!" the post to confirm it.
  • Winners will be determined on a point system based on each race result.
    • 1st Place- 5 points
    • 2nd Place- 3 points
    • 3rd Place- 2 points
    • 4th Place- 1 point
  • Tiebreaker (if necessary) will be determined by who has the most race wins.
  • The winner from each round will move on to the next round.
oobQ6qd.png

1. Have fun :)
  2. Work within your group to find a good time for everyone. The early rounds should only take ~20-25 minutes to complete.
  3. No hacks or cheating otherwise. Regular short cuts like the cave in Koopa Troopa Beach is fair game.
  4. Try to settle any issues that come up among the group. Involve staff if a consensus cannot be reached.
  5. If a disconnect happens, try to pick up where you left off unless everyone agrees to restart. If you are only one or two races in then a restart might be a better option. If you are getting close to the end, try to pick up where you left off. You can submit multiple screenshots as long as they equal the correct number of races. It might be suggested to periodically take screenshots after each round in case any issues comes up.
  6. If someone has the ability to stream on Twitch that would be welcomed, but not required. Hopefully some people will save clips of the action to share. Who doesn't love watching last second Mario Kart pain?

TgG9BLP.png

There will be badges for those that come in first, second, and third. Images are TBD. Also there may be something else included :)

Last edited:
WWl3kIz.png

Congrats to all of our participants to this point! Welcome to the first round! Below are the pairings/groups. Start PM'ing each other or discussing in this thread about availability. If a group needs an extra weekend, let me know :)

Group 1-
#1 @KTthecreeper 37
#8 @Francobotw 22
#9 @Launchpad 21

Group 2-
#2 @Jersh 32
#10 @E.Gadd 23
#7 @GokouD 22
#15 @A Delcat Switches 11

Group 3-
#3 @bellydrum 29
#11 @Mr Game AND Watch 26
#6 @kyo2004 20
#14 @Harina 13

Group 4-
#4 @Raytro 29*
#5 @Ombrella 29
#12 @Mandos 21
#13 @Lady Bow DNP

*Won tiebreaker by wins

Again here are the rules/format:
  • Four players will compete against each other in an 8 race cup.
  • 150 CC Mode
  • Characters will be chosen in order with the higher seed getting first pick. Characters are to remain the same throughout the round.
  • The top seed in each group will be asked to host.
  • At the end of the final round, each team will post a screenshot. Preferably another person in the group will "Yeah!" the post to confirm it.
  • Winners will be determined on a point system based on each race result.
    • 1st Place- 5 points
    • 2nd Place- 3 points
    • 3rd Place- 2 points
    • 4th Place- 1 point
  • Tiebreaker (if necessary) will be determined by who has the most race wins.
  • The winner from each round will move on to the next round.

Time Trial Rankings:
  1. KTthecreeper- 1'40"64
  2. Jersh- 1'44"35
  3. bellydrum- 1'45"46
  4. Raytro- 1'46"44
  5. Ombrella- 1'47"26
  6. kyo2004- 1'47"29
  7. GokouD- 01'47"49
  8. Francobotw- 01'49"38
  9. Launchpad- 01'49"48
  10. E. Gadd- 01'49"93
  11. Mr Game and Watch- 1'50"17
  12. Mandos- 1’50”42
  13. Lady Bow- 01'52"08
  14. Harina- 1'54"29
  15. A Delcat Switches-1'55'82

Last edited:
Ok folks. Sign ups are open.

Also, if anyone can offer to assist with making better banners for the OP I would not turn that down. As you can tell my skills are minimal at best, but I'm trying to learn with what free programs are out there :D

Wonderful work! Thank you so much for organizing this. I will abstain for now but I very much look forward to how this plays out.

I'd be interested, but I would be dependent on the games being played during a couple of hours in the late evening UK time, so not sure I'd be much use for it!

i cant wait to see how it plays out, but im gonna have to abstain as well

awesome idea for a thread!

Is the shortcut in Rainbow Road okay

edit: I know it's not I'm just being cheeky

I'd love to be part of it but unfortunately I think I couldn't because of work :(

I'd be interested, but I would be dependent on the games being played during a couple of hours in the late evening UK time, so not sure I'd be much use for it!

Honestly I would say give it a shot and at least put down a time trial to get paired up. The first round will start (hopefully) next Friday so you will have at least a full weekend and then some to work out a time with the others. If worst comes to worst and you have to back out because of a scheduling conflict then no one will hold it against you. We won't blacklist you from future events or anything.

Is the shortcut in Rainbow Road okay

edit: I know it's not I'm just being cheeky
Go ahead and let me know how lucky you are with that jump lmao.

Honestly I would say give it a shot and at least put down a time trial to get paired up. The first round will start (hopefully) next Friday so you will have at least a full weekend and then some to work out a time with the others. If worst comes to worst and you have to back out because of a scheduling conflict then no one will hold it against you. We won't blacklist you from future events or anything.
Might try it then. I just have to check if I'll have time to do some time trial (since I have to travel for work it might be complicated but I really want to try so I'll tell you in about 1 day or 2)!
If the first round start next friday maybe I'll be there. Fingers crossed!

Yeah go on then, I'll enter and see how it goes.

Well, I'm in! Hopefully I can do it.
Also, I almost never played Mario Kart 64 so it's going to be fun lol

Last edited:
I don't know if I'll actually manage to do the Qualifying in the short time frame, but I'm in for now. :)

Right now we have 16 players signed up. Unless we get a large increase of players I think we will just do two rounds and take the winners from each group. 16 down to 4.

Still time to sign up!

If I wasn't stuck with strict nat at the moment I would join but strict nat won't let me play some Nintendo games online

Silly me, actually mis read and thought it was an online race tournament and not timed trials. I may join up.

Are speed run tricks and shortcuts allowed?

Count me in if there's enough place for me to join ! Plus I never played that MK so it's gonna be fun :D

How ofteb do you all think tournaments for these games will be? Wouldn’t mind doing one in the future but I don’t think I could do one right now

How ofteb do you all think tournaments for these games will be? Wouldn’t mind doing one in the future but I don’t think I could do one right now

If the staff allows me, I would love to run more tournaments for this game and others in the future, especially after more people here sign up for the expansion pass. I know there are some posters here on the fence with the service right now, which is understandable.

If the staff allows me, I would love to run more tournaments for this game and others in the future, especially after more people here sign up for the expansion pass. I know there are some posters here on the fence with the service right now, which is understandable.
Wouldn’t hurt to ask. Wouldn’t mind some to do in the future, I just don’t think I could commit to one right now but I would love to do one in the future

I'm in on the tournament (I was waiting until downloaded the N64 Online and test with MK64).

Edit: The TT for the Qualy has to be set with Yoshi only?

If there's room, I'd love to join in. Will do my time trial tomorrow.

No glitches of the sort are allowed here. Only organic shortcuts like the ramp in Koop Troop Beach.

200px-MK64_Koopa_Troopa_Beach_mushroom_shortcut.jpg
I guess I need to ask, since I'm reasonably confident in my ability to pull it off in a live game if necessary:
the Rainbow Road jump? Yay/nay?

I'm in on the tournament (I was waiting until downloaded the N64 Online and test with MK64).

Correct. Everyone should use the same character so that it is fair when compiling the times.

I guess I need to ask, since I'm reasonably confident in my ability to pull it off in a live game if necessary:
the Rainbow Road jump? Yay/nay?

Unless everyone here overwhelmingly says Yea, I am going with Nay since it technically isn't a normal shortcut.

Characters have invisible stats. In this game, lightweights are the fastest, accelerate the fastest, and get the biggest boost from mini turbos; there's almost 0 downside to them in TT (they they do have a larger turning radius).
Unless everyone here overwhelmingly says Yea, I am going with Nay since it technically isn't a normal shortcut.
Probably for the best.

Ok the game is out so lets get those time trials in! I see we already have one time in :)

So right now I'm counting 21 participants. Good list! If others want to join I am still not opposed. Last night was really just a soft deadline to gauge interest and get an idea of how I want to format the rounds. So if you are still interested go ahead and post a time and ping me. Remember only one time can be submitted.

Deadline is Thursday night into Friday. If a lot of people need more time I can extend it, but I was hoping to get the first round started this weekend. Let me know if anyone is having issues.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom