• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Mario Golf and Tennis - GameBoy Color or GameBoy Advance?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2807
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2807

Hey all! I recently got a GameBoy Advance SP, and am wanting to get into the Mario sports games on there since I never had them growing up and secondly, I always hear that they’re actual RPG-like campaigns.

I just don’t know what’s the preferred versions between the Color and Advance games - anyone have any history with these games?

From what I remember, they're mostly the same in terms of how much RPG you get out of it. There's obviously the power gap between the two consoles in favor of the GBA, but you'll find that they're very similar outside of that.
What I didn't really like about the GBA versions (I only played Golf on GBA though), was the music, as Camelot took the same samples than in Golden Sun so it's like playing that game.
You get more characters and side content on GBA though, but the GBC games hold up great.

The "RPG-ness" of GBC vs GBA is pretty comparable. You take your character and rise through the ranks in a more grounded golf/Tennis centric setting, finishing off with a more Mario focused finale. The mechanics of each game match their respective console games, so the GBC games are a bit more vanilla while Golf GBA let's you put spin on your swings and Tennis GBA adds power shots. Additionally, Golf GBA has both singles and doubles golf, unlike Golf GBC. Tennis has singles and doubles in both games.

What is notable is that the GBA games are story sequels to the GBC games. It's nothing too impactful - they take place in the same settings, bring back other characters, but it's not essential to play both unless you really like one and want to play the other. In fact, most of the golf courses from GBC return in GBA with the same layouts.

One thing you might want to consider is connectivity between the console and handheld versions of each game. While they don't affect the RPG campaign, you can import your character and use them for all of those games' modes as well as unlock content:
  • Mario Golf (N64 and GBC) simply lets you transfer the created characters to N64 and back.
  • Mario Tennis (N64 and GBC) have a bevy of unlockables between the two - nore Mario characters and minigames in GBC, courts in N64 awarded when you do well in said minigames. This is in addition to the transferable characters.
  • Mario Golf: Advance Tour gets extra Mario characters when you connect it to Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, alongside transferring your characters.
  • Mario Tennis: Power Tour cannot connect to Mario Power Tennis at all. No unlockables, no transferring characters. Both are completely stand-alone titles.

One thing you might want to consider is connectivity between the console and handheld versions of each game. While they don't affect the RPG campaign, you can import your character and use them for all of those games' modes as well as unlock content:
  • Mario Golf (N64 and GBC) simply lets you transfer the created characters to N64 and back.
  • Mario Tennis (N64 and GBC) have a bevy of unlockables between the two - nore Mario characters and minigames in GBC, courts in N64 awarded when you do well in said minigames. This is in addition to the transferable characters.
  • Mario Golf: Advance Tour gets extra Mario characters when you connect it to Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, alongside transferring your characters.
  • Mario Tennis: Power Tour cannot connect to Mario Power Tennis at all. No unlockables, no transferring characters. Both are completely stand-alone titles.

There's also the recently-translated Mobile Golf, which featured online connectivity of all things, through the obscure Mobile Adapter. The translation makes the DLC available by other means, though!

The "RPG-ness" of GBC vs GBA is pretty comparable. You take your character and rise through the ranks in a more grounded golf/Tennis centric setting, finishing off with a more Mario focused finale. The mechanics of each game match their respective console games, so the GBC games are a bit more vanilla while Golf GBA let's you put spin on your swings and Tennis GBA adds power shots. Additionally, Golf GBA has both singles and doubles golf, unlike Golf GBC. Tennis has singles and doubles in both games.

What is notable is that the GBA games are story sequels to the GBC games. It's nothing too impactful - they take place in the same settings, bring back other characters, but it's not essential to play both unless you really like one and want to play the other. In fact, most of the golf courses from GBC return in GBA with the same layouts.

I really appreciate this breakdown this was very informative! Thank you very much and to everyone else for the replies too!

Back
Top Bottom