• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Marathon by Bungie (PS5, XBOX Series S/X, PC) [TBA Release Date]

EvilChameleon

Now 20% cooler!
Pronouns
he/him
Marathon-Logo-Updated.png

Marathon is being developed by Bungie for the PS5, XBOX Series S/X, and the PC, and it's being described as...
Become a runner in Bungie’s new sci-fi pvp extraction shooter. compete for survival, riches, and renown in a world of evolving, persistent zones, where any run can lead to greatness.
It will have cross play and cross save.

Bungie bringing back an old classic on new platforms, this time as an extraction shooter. No date has been even teased yet, and there's currently a ViDoc premiering on the game's YouTube channel, which I will add to this post when it is done.

Love the style in the trailer. I could never get into Destiny/Destiny 2 because those types of games demand so much time but a PVP game might be more my speed.

I have to admit I'm a little confused about this one - I have a handful of friends who absolutely love the original trilogy... and not a single one of them has any interest in PvP shooters. And of my friends who like PvP shooters, I'm not sure if any/many have even heard of the original Marathon games.

I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it because Bungie have a good track record overall, but it seems weirdly like drawing a Venn diagram of two completely separate circles and then only aiming for one of the two.

I can't help but wonder if this will be F2P, considering they are charging $77 for shirts on the Bungie Store.

The aesthetics are chefkiss but I don’t think anyone who wanted a new Marathon was asking for an Extraction Shooter. Only hope is that there’s a narrative component to it.

I wonder if this also an ammission by Bungie that the ending of the last Marathon is so good that is basically impossible to follow up

I wonder if this also an ammission by Bungie that the ending of the last Marathon is so good that is basically impossible to follow up
Bungie going 'Let's take the original narrative FPS and turn it into a multiplayer PvP shooter' is the sort of thing that makes me want to give up on gaming.

I recommend the Mandalore reviews for Marathon for those who want to learn more. be warned that this is 2 hours of reviews

and Pathways to Darkness which is also related

Check out the original trilogy here!
utterly surreal to live in a world where a proper System Shock remake exists and is releasing in a few days, while Marathon gets thrown into the multiplayer-only pit.

On that note, for anyone curious about the original games: they are available to play for free on PC/Mac/Linux, completely legally.

And if you don't have anything that can run them but are still curious to check out the story, there's an archive of all the story content of all three games available in text + screenshot form.
Pathways Into Darkness (the direct precursor to this series) was also released for free on the Mac app store at one point, though it's limited to that platform as Bungie never did a source code release for it like Marathon.
there's been attempts to port it to the Aleph One Marathon source ports, but it's not 100% accurate to the original.

Back
Top Bottom