• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Man, am I the only one less hyped after the latest BotW2 trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon yersel. I'm not worried about a video game and I'm certainly not saying vehicles are the only new thing being added. I just don't think they're exciting and I didn't find the trailer very interesting.

I'm sure the game will be fun and I'm also sure it will survive a little light ribbing and any skepticism.
Oh I wasn't referring to your post, just that I've seen a number of other people seem to think this is the "big" or "main" twist that Nintendo has.

I'm not trying to say anyone needs to have enjoyed that trailer, I just think a lot of people are having trouble understanding the overall marketing for this game.

I think i said it before, but no prob, i say it again, one of the big new features isn't that you can build cars, it's the green shit you're using to build them.

You can expect there to be more uses than just playing medieval Mad Max.

Oh I wasn't referring to your post, just that I've seen a number of other people seem to think this is the "big" or "main" twist that Nintendo has.

I'm not trying to say anyone needs to have enjoyed that trailer, I just think a lot of people are having trouble understanding the overall marketing for this game.
Any time a lot of the intended audience are "having trouble understanding" marketing, the marketing sucks. Because it's literally their job to make it so that the audience immediately and clearly understands it. It's like... the entire job.

The fact that none of the post-trailer marketing is mentioning anything about the vehicles kinda makes this "that's the big new mechanic!!!?!?" worry very odd to me. Instead they're teasing Zelda's sheikah slate, only for people to say "oh she dies at the beginning and will have no role in the game".

C'mon people.

What post-trailer marketing?

Any time a lot of the intended audience are "having trouble understanding" marketing, the marketing sucks. Because it's literally their job to make it so that the audience immediately and clearly understands it. It's like... the entire job.
That's the issue here- they did that. Two years ago. This is a sequel to Breath of the Wild where the main new mechanics will revolve around new arm powers, exploring sky islands and exploring caves/underground. People just have short memories, especially gamers who want to constantly be fed hype.

This game definitely fell victim to COVID too, which probably makes the marketing feel a lot more protracted than it was meant to. If we had gotten these same teasers in a shorter time span then I think people here would be singing the praises of the marketing, not questioning what the game even is.

What post-trailer marketing?
Twitter posts, amiibo reveal, press kits, special edition unboxing, marketing surveys. None of that appears to place any special emphasis on vehicles.

Twitter posts, amiibo reveal, press kits, special edition unboxing, marketing surveys. None of that appears to place any special emphasis on vehicles.

The only tweet I've seen was a total of 4 words, "lend him your power," so I guess, true, it doesn't mention vehicles. Were press kits sent out? I haven't heard that. Was there a press release or was it just swag? And I wouldn't expect unboxing or surveys to mention game mechanics.

The only tweet I've seen was a total of 4 words, "lend him your power," so I guess, true, it doesn't mention vehicles. Were press kits sent out? I haven't heard that. Was there a press release or was it just swag? And I wouldn't expect unboxing or surveys to mention game mechanics.
There were a whole bunch of posts, you must have missed some. Here's one with just the Master Sword, here's one which draws attention to Zelda's sheikah slate, interestingly enough:

There were a bunch more on the japanese account too.

The official key art (which is what I meant by press kits, I may have used the wrong term for that) has Link holding his arm like it's an arm cannon, Link in his toga, and Zelda with the sheikah slate. No vehicles.

The SE has this stuff in it:

Screenshot-2023-02-09-12-39-18-672-edit-com-android-chrome.jpg

Which includes a depiction of the Zonai figure and 7 "tears" plus those four "runes" which people have deciphered likely refer to Link's new arm powers. Again, zero materials about any vehicles.

The amiibo reflects the key art, with the focus on the arm specifically. If vehicles were a major new focus they'd have introduced a "car" or "hovercraft" amiibo.

People just have short memories, especially gamers who want to constantly be fed hype.
Nah, that can't be always the answer to criticism. If people "forgot about those new mechanics" (which we don't really know about their importance since we haven't seen any real gameplay yet, those could be optional like in BotW) that's Nintendo's fault.
Lots of people are expecting some kind of Zelda event or news for a reason. Hinting things is not enough anymore after three big trailers and just four months before release.

I'm glad that a lot of people are coming to the same conclusion as I, that marketing is a sham and a fake job.

new mechanics will revolve around new arm powers
They've shown us something very similar to stasis, and something very similar to magnesis. That's it.

exploring sky islands and exploring caves/underground.
Dude, this is not enough. We didn't wait six years to be satisfied with "BotW but with caves and floating islands and vehicles!"

The marketing sucks because nothing they've shown us even remotely justifies how long this game has been in development, and at this point people are beginning to wonder how much of that is due to holding things back, and how much of it is due to this game just not living up to expectations.

I'm not less hyped but Nintendo needs to stop hiding what this game is actually about because all they've shown is literally just more BotW with vague hints of what's new. I have no idea why they're so scared of actually giving some deep dive into the new areas/mechanics/etc. of the game.

Just wanted to mention that this is artwork for Zelda for Breath of the Wild, and we all know her role in the game:

wallpaper-4-thumb.jpg
That's a fair point. However the difference here is that Link doesn't have it, yet it has a new redesign and Nintendo has explicitly pointed it out on Twitter. It would be very odd to do any of that if Zelda is completely out of play for the whole game.
They've shown us something very similar to stasis, and something very similar to magnesis. That's it.
No, that's not it. We've also seen the arm used to charge an arrow with homing magic and help Link phase through solid ground. And reversing an object's momentum is not at all similar to stasis, beyond the visual effect they used.

Dude, this is not enough. We didn't wait six years to be satisfied with "BotW but with caves and floating islands and vehicles!"

The marketing sucks because nothing they've shown us even remotely justifies how long this game has been in development, and at this point people are beginning to wonder how much of that is due to holding things back, and how much of it is due to this game just not living up to expectations.
So having two completely new layers of the world to explore (very possibly each the size of the first game) not to mention a very different overworld with a whole bunch of new enemy types, bosses, a completely different story, and brand new mechanics such as those mentioned above in addition to modular dragon head effects like flamethrowers and bomb slingers, on top of the strangely divisive idea of modular vehicle construction, and anything else we currently don't know doesn't make a compelling sequel or justify the time spent making it?

This is without mentioning all the stuff that's been hinted at but not yet shown, like a bigger role for Zelda, the 7 tears, the Zonai deity, master sword funkiness, the "wind" and "light" runes, possible time travel, etc.

Link phase through solid ground.
We don't know if this is a game play mechanic or just how you travel from the ground to the sky.

And reversing an object's momentum is not at all similar to stasis, beyond the visual effect they used.
One freezes an object in time and another reverses an object's time. They're similar abilities.

very possibly each the size of the first game
Nintendo has not shown or stated this.

a very different overworld
Nintendo has not shown or stated this (though we've established you have a very different definition of "dramatic changes" than anyone else).

with a whole bunch of new enemy types
We've seen a like-like thing, a redead, a big bokoblin, and a bigger keese thing.

We've seen a hydra that may not even be fightable and a box golem.

a completely different story
We haven't seen anything beyond what is likely the opening sequence.

brand new mechanics
Crafting weapons and vehicles is neat if it's actually in the game. Nintendo should confirm that and show how extensive these systems actually are.

like a bigger role for Zelda ... possible time travel
This is pure wishful thinking.

Your attempt to demonstrate how much we've been shown instead just highlights how little we've been shown, and how much what we expect from this game is based purely on assumptions and hope.

We don't know if this is a game play mechanic or just how you travel from the ground to the sky.

One freezes an object in time and another reverses an object's time. They're similar abilities.

Nintendo has not shown or stated this.

Nintendo has not shown or stated this (though we've established you have a very different definition of "dramatic changes" than anyone else).

We've seen a like-like thing, a redead, a big bokoblin, and a bigger keese thing.

We've seen a hydra that may not even be fightable and a box golem.

We haven't seen anything beyond what is likely the opening sequence.

Crafting weapons and vehicles is neat if it's actually in the game. Nintendo should confirm that and show how extensive these systems actually are.

This is pure wishful thinking.

Your attempt to demonstrate how much we've been shown instead just highlights how little we've been shown, and how much what we expect from this game is based purely on assumptions and hope.
Yeah I think we're done here, you can't possibly believe all of this in good faith.

Yeah I think we're done here, you can't possibly believe all of this in good faith.
Believe what? I'm stating what Nintendo has shown us. You're the one believing things like Zelda being playable, time travel, the sky and underground being bigger than the BotW map, etc. I don't want to believe these things will be true based purely on hope, I want Nintendo to demonstrate or tell us that they're true.

Believe what? I'm stating what Nintendo has shown us. You're the one believing things like Zelda being playable, time travel, the sky and underground being bigger than the BotW map, etc. I don't want to believe these things will be true based purely on hope, I want Nintendo to demonstrate or tell us that they're true.
For anyone reading, if you look at my post that was quoted you'll note I never said a single one of these things. Since this is turning into a bad faith argument I'm going to end it here.

For anyone reading, if you look at my post that was quoted you'll note I never said a single one of these things. Since this is turning into a bad faith argument I'm going to end it here.
You literally said, in response to me saying they haven't shown enough to justify the development time, that the sky and caves are "possibly each the size of the first game" and that there's "possible time travel". I will give you that you said "a bigger role for Zelda" instead of "playable Zelda" though--I assumed that's what you meant by bigger role.

I mean yeah, if I believe that things that haven't been shown to be in the game are actually in the game, then the development time can be justified.

You have spent this entire thread dismissing any criticism of this game's marketing, how much of it has been shown, and the resulting apprehension and disappointment being expressed. You're telling people who have politely expressed legitimate concerns that they just have "short memories", that they're just "gamers who want to constantly be fed hype", and that they're "having trouble understanding the marketing." I don't think anyone here is being bad faith, but if anyone is, it's not me.

I think this thread demonstrates that people isn't satisfied with the info we have about this game just 4 months before release.

What most peope fear, is not that marketing isn't good, but the game not living up to expectations.
Yeah, let's wait until the month before to see the full marketing campaign, but that's not really the problem here imo.
It's perfectly valid to speculate about the new mechanics, the sky and the caves being game-changing. It's perfectly valid to feel that those things aren't enough after waiting 6 years, at least based on what we saw in the trailers.

The last trailer left me relatively cold while watching it during the direct. Therefore, I understand the sentiment of the thread title.

But Nintendo only really has a problem, if a lot of people who are not satisfied with their marketing now, loose interest in TOTK completely and do not watch subsequent trailers/reviews. I would argue that that’s not the case for most. So, they still have time to convince people.

I don’t have to be convinced. BotW is my favorite game of all time. I am sure, I will have a good time with TOTK, even if my biggest fear right now would turn out to be true. That would be focusing too much on the YouTube crowd who made a lot of funny videos about combining abilities and items to do awesome stuff. I liked watching these, but my own playthrough of BotW was mostly about exploration, enjoying the calmness and nature of Hyrule as well as puzzle solving.

I am sure this is all still in there, but the main focus might be shifted to other things.

Interestingly, after the direct I started watching the trailer analyses and that excited me a lot. Not much is confirmed but the implications are promising. I kind of get the frustration about the lack of concrete answers but personally I also would dislike getting every detail spelled out in advance. I want surprises while playing the game.

Now for example caves could be just some boring tunnels and some mining sites (that one in the trailer didn’t look that interesting to me), but since there are underground sections implemented, it is also a possibility that there are ice caves, subterranean lakes, lava rivers, tombs and catacombs, sunken cities with traces of ancient civilizations, moss overgrown underground woods, mushroom caves full of bioluminescent funghi, and so on…
These possibilities excite me and cause I am buying the game anyway, I just hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Other people want to know for sure what they are getting and might need another trailer showing these underground areas in detail and that’s fine. I hope Nintendo doesn’t overdo it or maybe waits for that until the launch trailer (which would be easy to ignore for me and still be early enough for people buying the game at launch). Or people just wait for reviews.

So in the end, I don’t think it is a big deal that the marketing until now wasn’t convincing for everyone yet.

Last edited:
I think that I'm just over the story-based, hype type of trailers in the first place. I don't really watch a lot of coverage or stuff about upcoming games (outside of Directs) anymore. I like to know what's coming out, and I usually read/watch some gameplay previews, but I don't really care to watch Youtubers analyzing stuff frame-by-frame or watch a three minute clip with no gameplay.

That being said, it's Zelda. I'm taking the day off from work to play it when it comes out.

I'm mega hyped rn, the feeling when we have for the first time control of link will be magnificent. We will find hundreds of surprises and everything will "click". Can't wait to build a baloon, fly high and skydive onto an goblin outpost wrecking havoc with the gear at hand

We know where Hyrule Castle is. We know where the Kakariko is, and the same with everything: Death Mountain, Zora's Domain, etc. The key element of exploring a new world is not present in this game.

I don't know, what's the point of this game? (this sounds terrible lol) but I mean, usually open world games don't have direct sequels, so... is the story going to be much more important this time? I always hoped that we'll see Hyrule rebuilt, with bigger cities, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Oh I think Hyrule will be vastly re-built. I expect there to be additional towns, greatly expanded towns, and more NPCs and unique approach to quests.

They havn’t even shown gameplay of Link skydiving yet. People need to chill.

Personally, I think this will sell far, far less than BOTW. Not to mean it will sell poorly whatsoever, but I'm thinking the 20-23 million range. Which is amazing but it's not 30 million. Of course, this is a small group of people and anecdotal, but the several people I know who got a Switch for BOTW do not care whatsoever about TOTK. They all say some variation of "I'm fine with just BOTW, it was enough".

Personally, I think this will sell far, far less than BOTW. Not to mean it will sell poorly whatsoever, but I'm thinking the 20-23 million range. Which is amazing but it's not 30 million. Of course, this is a small group of people and anecdotal, but the several people I know who got a Switch for BOTW do not care whatsoever about TOTK. They all say some variation of "I'm fine with just BOTW, it was enough".
I feel like it might sell better when people upgrade to Switch 2

You don't even accept that there are new enemies because reasons. Why do you think the big three headed dragon is not fightable? Why do you believe the most enemies are just cope pasted old enmies? This are bad faith arguments. You want them to be disappointing at this point.

This are bad faith arguments. You want them to be disappointing at this point.
No offense, but that's nonsense. Every DLC expansion of open world games adds tens of new enemies. We just saw like... 3 new enemies? and that's for a completely new game that has been 6 years in development. We haven't seen yet why this game took so long.

You don't even accept that there are new enemies because reasons.
I stated that we've been shown 4, one of which is literally a big bokoblin. If you want to extrapolate that to there being a ton of new enemies with a ton of variety, go ahead. I'm not going to make any assumptions after what we've been shown.
Why do you think the big three headed dragon is not fightable?
I don't know if it's fightable. None of the dragons in BotW were fightable. You can assume it's one of many epic overworld boss encounters. I'm not getting my hopes up without knowing more.
Why do you believe the most enemies are just cope pasted old enmies?
Didn't say this, nor pretty much anything that you've said I've said.
This are bad faith arguments.
You have to be making an argument to be arguing in bad faith. All I did was state what Nintendo has actually shown us absent any assumptions and extrapolations. Which isn't much. That's the point.
You want them to be disappointing at this point.
Yeah dude I want one my most anticipated game of my entire life to be disappointing. You've cracked the case.

So far it really looks like a meaty DLC more than a new game. But I can't fathom that they spent 6 years "just" for this, so until the game release, I'll keep on hoping that there is more to it justifying the wait.
My only fear with Nintendo is that usually, if they don't show much, it's because they don't have much. I'm very much willing to be surprised.

It is technically true that Nintendo did not confirm a lot but some things are so heavily implied that it feels overly cautious to think things could turn out the other way.

Sure, the three headed dragon might not be fightable...it is true we don't know now.
But what are the odds? I mean, really?
The dragons in BotW were not fightable (one kind of was at first actually) but you could interact with them. Shoot them for scales or windsurf along them, which was also very cool. I only discovered them when I played the game, didn't know anything about them before. That was a good and memorable surprise.
I am sure the dragon on the bridge is not there for decoration. Maybe you cannot fight it, but instead talk to it... would be interesting as well.
But I doubt it.
Nobody has to get their hopes up yet if they don't want to, but I think this pessimism is also not necessary.

And in general people underestimate the time it will take to quality control a game where physics and elements play such a big role and enemies react to each other in a lot of different ways (now there will be squads with a leader, flying Bokoblins or Bokoblins riding a Talus...) and you can reverse time on objects.
It will get crazy for sure and there are very few games (I would argue almost none) where interactions between separate entities get that complex.

Nintendo has been known to hold stuff close to their chest for one reason or another until a game is quite close to coming out so I don't worry personally. Also mainly because the long wait also means I have relatively cooled off on the hype and now I am just waiting to play the thing rather than looking forward to new trailers/info (which tbh is also because BOTW exist so there is some amount of trust).

Are the islands a M A J O R Test of Strength© or will we be climbing to the massive floating city inhabited by aliens above Hyrule? Nintendo isn't answering this question.

No. The first 20 seconds enticed me, but as it went on and the designs and world looked very similar my hype tempered down.

I am still confident they are holding back tho. But strangely enough the games atmosphere feels more similar to BOTW. More than Majora's Mask did to OoT.

And Majora had such a short development time.

I won't lie I was hoping for an entire tone shift (similar to Majora), but maybe it'll still be there.
You didn't get a tone shift from botw? Lol what

I won't post it here but after the leaks from the other thread, at least I'm a little more hyped than the mediocre trailer.

I have next to no hype for the game, especially on Nintendo's current hardware. I'll probably get it anyway.

I'm also less hyped but not concerned, maybe it's better this way, the game is three months away, I prefer not be fully hyped yet.

I’m late to this thread but if the video game forums are going negative with this game, that means it will be a 10/10 fun game and break sales records.
Thread bump because I want to toot my horn for being right.

Tears of the Kingdom is a 10/10 game that is breaking sales records. I saw it coming because the forum dwellars were melting down about it back in February.

I will also toot my own horn with what was the first response in the thread:

No, you're not, but it's Zelda and the sequel to Breath of the Wild and has been in development a long time, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that the final product is gonna be fantastic.

I like that I have written this as part of my comment before even knowing about Ultrahand and Fuse :D

And in general people underestimate the time it will take to quality control a game where physics and elements play such a big role and enemies react to each other in a lot of different ways (now there will be squads with a leader, flying Bokoblins or Bokoblins riding a Talus...) and you can reverse time on objects.
It will get crazy for sure and there are very few games (I would argue almost none) where interactions between separate entities get that complex.

Can I toot my own horn for being right when this thread eventually gets closed like the last one where people relitigated pointless arguments about marketing that they were weirdly emotionally invested in?

I'm tooting my horn for being deliciously wrong and now having a new favorite game of all time which didn't happen since probably the SNES era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom