• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro LTTP: The Dizzy Series

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him
As a kid, I had Quattro Adventure for the NES. I liked Super Robin Hood and Treasure Island Dizzy and a little bit of Boomerang Kid (Linus Spacehead was my least favorite of the four). And up until this year, I didn't even know that Dizzy had a whole series of games on microcomputers and that there were a few unlicensed NES games that Dizzy was in. Having played through the Oliver Twins cart for the Evercade, I've grown to appreciate this British series of games.

Treasure Island Dizzy is probably the least of the Dizzy offerings on NES as the juggling item system leads to inevitably accidentally dropping the snorkel while underwater. Every Dizzy game tends to need a walkthrough for those one or two things that aren't exactly intuitive. But I like that Treasure Island Dizzy is a short game as that 1 life only thing can seem very punishing if it were longer. With save states, Treasure Island Dizzy is a lot more fun.

The two best NES versions of Dizzy are the Aladdin Deck Enhancer pack-in game Dizzy the Adventurer. That definitely has one of the best inventory screens of the series and the game seems to have ironed out some of the rough spots earlier games had. That I'll probably replay until I beat it. The other really good Dizzy game for NES is Wonderland Dizzy, a homebrew game from the Oliver Twins that has you play as both Dizzy and Daisy and has wonderful theming. I love being able to play as Daisy.

And so, I'm now a fan of the Yolkfolk. The Evercade is a great platform for homebrew games and forgotten retro games (of course the Switch is my favorite console at the moment and is an excellent retrogaming platform but sadly has no Dizzy. Nintendo probably doesn't want to acknowledge that Dizzy's presence on the NES but it certainly would be interesting to see Dizzy get something on the Switch). I guess forums really help those of us who tend to be late to finding out about things to express that we like cool things that we didn't know about.

(Nintendo probably doesn't want to acknowledge that Dizzy's presence on the NES but it certainly would be interesting to see Dizzy get something on the Switch).
He's on there, actually. As a built-in title on a Game Making application.
fast-food-dizzy.jpg

Though it looks like the Oliver Twins are more interested in preserving the series rather than making new installments. A few of the games on that Evercade cart are sourced from them finding source code for previously unreleased adventures.

Back
Top Bottom