• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Living Dex Discussion |ST| Why Must I Catch Them All

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2

For discussion of (and supporting our fellow trainers with) the completion of our Living Dexes.

I only need one (1) more Pokemon to complete my Living Dex, currently stored entirely in Pokemon Home.

Marshadow.

That little candle ghost idiot has been so elusive that I've just given up on getting it until the next time they decide to randomly drop an event.

Edit: Thanks to a heads up from @Pokemaniac, I was able ti get a hold of a code card from Target. Thanks!!!

Hoenn is the best region and gen 3 has the best music.
Hoenn's actually where I started my efforts to complete my Living Dex.

I have all 6 of my OG Pokemon Sapphire team transfered all the way up from Pokemon Sapphire to Pokemon Home.

Hoenn's actually where I started my efforts to complete my Living Dex.

I have all 6 of my OG Pokemon Sapphire team transfered all the way up from Pokemon Sapphire to Pokemon Home.
You are far more dedicated and hardcore than I am. I just catch the Pokemon I like and enjoy the vibes.

You are far more dedicated and hardcore than I am. I just catch the Pokemon I like and enjoy the vibes.
There came a point during the wait between generations that depression and adderall sort of took the reigns for a while.

I got a living regional dex in Let’s Go and in Arceus. I don’t think I have it in me to try for a living national dex!

I have been in the process of getting a living dex on Home for several months. Now just 100 Pokémon remaining.

Also, the thing I love the most about the main games is the fact that the creatures I rise and train can be kept through generations. I have on my home account Pokémon since R/S/E, including from games like Colosseum, XD and even the Jirachi from Channel. That makes me wonder how will they handle this with the 3DS eshop shutdown. Will they keep Bank available indefinitely, or will we reach some point in which past games won't be compatible?

I can imagine that at some point we will be able to catch them all only using the switch and its successor's games, but replaying a Pokémon game knowing that your Pokémon can't be kept will be a bummer. I won't be playing older generations then, that's for sure.

Maybe it will be time for them to just relaunch the 3DS games on switch. That way, we would only need B/W and B2/W2, and I'm sure they will remake them at some point. But X/Y and S/M/US/UM would just work with an HD filter and some adjustments. That would be a dream.

Are there any set rules for a living dex? Just trading for one of each pokemon seems so easy with the GTS that it's hardly a challenge.

For me, the living dex is:
-Catch/breed every pokemon you can have with your name as the Trainer, and
-Luvdisc replacing everything you can't

I'm only 2 pokemon short at the moment. Yveltal (yes, really) and Zamazenta. For whatever reason Yveltal is never in the versions I pick, (can't be bred) and Zamazenta was a Shield exclusive that hasn't appeared anywhere else yet.

I have some mythicals with my name on them that are part of the dex, but I keep my non-caught but legit acquired mythicals in their own box - they're not part of the living dex. You can have your trainer name on like half the mysticals now, post-Legends Arceus.

I only need one (1) more Pokemon to complete my Living Dex, currently stored entirely in Pokemon Home.

Marshadow.

That little candle ghost idiot has been so elusive that I've just given up on getting it until the next time they decide to randomly drop an event.
There's been a Marshadow event running recently. In the US it just started. Can get the code at Target (though in my experience, only the larger Targets tend to get them).

There's been a Marshadow event running recently. In the US it just started. Can get the code at Target (though in my experience, only the larger Targets tend to get them).
Holy fuck thank you Pokemaniac

I currently have a complete living dex in home which is composed of:

-One of every Pokémon form, including regionals, and variations (not genders though). I also have each of the Alcreami forms
-One of each Pokémon Go regional
-Shiny versions of each legendary up until Sword and Shield
-Gigantamax Pokémon
- mega evolution dex entries

I’m currently trying to get one of each Unown from Go and to handle one of every shiny Pokémon before trading them on, then I might get the genders.

It’s a good thing to do when watching TV

Every generation I tell myself that this will be the generation that I finally complete a living Pokédex, but without fail there’s always something every generation that makes me lose the motivation… I got close to making it happen this current generation, but getting fucked over by the Pokémon Trainer Club Dada Zarude distribution (that is, I was subscribed to the newsletter but still never got the code, and they never provided another opportunity to get one…) immediately killed any motivation I had. =/ Guess I should start preparing for the new generation just in case, though…

…Did I already miss those recent mythical distributions for Volcanion and Hoopa or whatever they were? I always forget about those now that they make you go into a GameStop to get the codes instead of just distributing them online… ._.

Every generation I tell myself that this will be the generation that I finally complete a living Pokédex, but without fail there’s always something every generation that makes me lose the motivation… I got close to making it happen this current generation, but getting fucked over by the Pokémon Trainer Club Dada Zarude distribution (that is, I was subscribed to the newsletter but still never got the code, and they never provided another opportunity to get one…) immediately killed any motivation I had. =/ Guess I should start preparing for the new generation just in case, though…

…Did I already miss those recent mythical distributions for Volcanion and Hoopa or whatever they were? I always forget about those now that they make you go into a GameStop to get the codes instead of just distributing them online… ._.
In the US, yes, though Marshadow runs at Target until the 12th.

Quoted by: Tye
In the US, yes, though Marshadow runs at Target until the 12th.
Goddammit, I fucking hate these limited time Mythical distributions and physical stores. Guess I’m kicking off the new generation already with no motivation to complete my Pokédex yet again, since I missed some Mythicals I still needed again.

Goddammit, I fucking hate these limited time Mythical distributions and physical stores. Guess I’m kicking off the new generation already with no motivation to complete my Pokédex yet again, since I missed some Mythicals I still needed again.
Depending on your level of desperation, you can often buy the codes from somebody on eBay. I may or may not have done that with Zarude after the Pokemon Trainer Club email debacle.

Quoted by: Tye
Depending on your level of desperation, you can often buy the codes from somebody on eBay. I may or may not have done that with Zarude after the Pokemon Trainer Club email debacle.
I’m not gonna spend money on that shit, especially when there are ones I missed like the Dada Zarude that are long gone by now. =P I’m honestly tempted to see if there’s a way to, like, inject legit Mystery Gifts into a game via modding and get everything I missed that way, and that’s coming from someone who personally hates modding and stuff like that. But these limited time distributions are such bullshit that it drives me to consider that…

Anybody else excited to fill a few more Pokemon Home boxes over the next couple months?

Lol this is nowhere near as easy as you think
Really? As someone who uses GTS to get the opposite game's exclusives, breeds them, and then whacks them in the correct spot in my living dex on Pokemon Home, I'm really wondering how it could be easier.

Unless, as I said earlier, you consider mythical pokemon part of it. Which I don't. Because they're bullshit. I do have all of them, but I don't count them.

EDIT: Also - have you seen the national pokedex numbers? If those are correct, what a horrible system they've put in place. The legendaries are just stuck in the middle of it! You can't be doin' that.

Really? As someone who uses GTS to get the opposite game's exclusives, breeds them, and then whacks them in the correct spot in my living dex on Pokemon Home, I'm really wondering how it could be easier.

Unless, as I said earlier, you consider mythical pokemon part of it. Which I don't. Because they're bullshit. I do have all of them, but I don't count them.

EDIT: Also - have you seen the national pokedex numbers? If those are correct, what a horrible system they've put in place. The legendaries are just stuck in the middle of it! You can't be doin' that.

Well haha, there you go, you can't just make up what a "living dex" is when it has a very specific meaning. One living instance of every single Pokémon.

This includes all the Legendaries, and unique limited time only Pokemon like Zeraora, Zarude, Meltan, etc.

Try getting those with the GTS and calling it "hardly a challenge"!

Well haha, there you go, you can't just make up what a "living dex" is when it has a very specific meaning. One living instance of every single Pokémon.

This includes all the Legendaries, and unique limited time only Pokemon like Zeraora, Zarude, Meltan, etc.

Try getting those with the GTS and calling it "hardly a challenge"!
My very first post was saying that everyone has their own definition...

For me, if the pokemon doesn't have your name on it as trainer it doesn't count, so if it CAN'T have your name on it it doesn't count.

But by your definition, I have a complete living dex (until Scarlet of course). By mine, I don't. Because my Yveltal and Zamazenta don't have my name on them.

And yes, chasing legit non-hacked mysticals is a pain in the ass. But with forums etc it's still not hard.

My very first post was saying that everyone has their own definition...

For me, if the pokemon doesn't have your name on it as trainer it doesn't count, so if it CAN'T have your name on it it doesn't count.

But by your definition, I have a complete living dex (until Scarlet of course). By mine, I don't. Because my Yveltal and Zamazenta don't have my name on them.

And yes, chasing legit non-hacked mysticals is a pain in the ass. But with forums etc it's still not hard.

I don't think you understand though, it's not "my definition". It's the agreed upon definition.

If you google "Living Dex", this is what you see:

6229FBB2-730D-4DF2-8C56-65263BB67118.jpeg

There's no real debate about the definition. It's already agreed upon.

You have a living dex. Adding more criteria is fine, if you want to create a more specific living dex. But ultimately if you have every single Pokemon, it's a living dex. There isn't really any wiggle room in that definition.

DAC1820F-B2D7-403C-AB4A-E04C323C6D5C.jpeg

6A095140-587D-4B80-8C4D-9EF0CF586BBD.jpeg

0C8DDF94-6E08-4AF2-B1FE-4BD5FC802346.jpeg

Also, the whole reason we're talking about this in the first place is that you specifically said "trading for one of every single Pokemon on the GTS sounds easy".

My whole point is that it's not easy, because "every single Pokemon" does not exclude Pokemon that you cannot name. Because then it wouldn't be every single Pokemon.... because words have meaning.

@bellydrum @Pokemaniac hey hope you two hope you don’t mind the tag! You seem like big pokefans skimming through this thread

Around the time HOME launched after Gen 8, everyone was showing off their living dexes. Someone on Reddit shared a spreadsheet they had that listed every Pokémon and every gender different (I think) and it was organized in a way that you could see ahead for how to space your boxes out. I believe he updated it after the SwSh expansion came out.

I’ll dig it up, but I think I’ll need to add my own edits for Hisui and eventually Paldea. And by edits I really mean, taking stock of new forms for earlier mons and shifting everything up one space so the box designations are still accurate.

So my long-winded question here is, do you all or anyone here know of something like this that already exists and is up to date? I’m nervous about missing a form or something and then it’s inaccurate without my knowledge lol. So if there’s a more current one that’s already been vetted by the community I’d love to be pointed in that direction.

Thanks!

@bellydrum @Pokemaniac hey hope you two hope you don’t mind the tag! You seem like big pokefans skimming through this thread

Around the time HOME launched after Gen 8, everyone was showing off their living dexes. Someone on Reddit shared a spreadsheet they had that listed every Pokémon and every gender different (I think) and it was organized in a way that you could see ahead for how to space your boxes out. I believe he updated it after the SwSh expansion came out.

I’ll dig it up, but I think I’ll need to add my own edits for Hisui and eventually Paldea. And by edits I really mean, taking stock of new forms for earlier mons and shifting everything up one space so the box designations are still accurate.

So my long-winded question here is, do you all or anyone here know of something like this that already exists and is up to date? I’m nervous about missing a form or something and then it’s inaccurate without my knowledge lol. So if there’s a more current one that’s already been vetted by the community I’d love to be pointed in that direction.

Thanks!
Do you mean a form or sheet that lays out your Home boxes beforehand?
I don't know of anything like that, and probably wouldn't use one because of how I lay out my living dex

For one, nothing ever needs to be shifted because any alternate forms go in their own Alternate Forms set of boxes.
Everything else is laid out by Pokédex number, which is pretty straightforward (unless a game releases without any National Dex numerical info, like Scarlet and Violet.... and you have to get the info from leaked Pokémon card sets....)

Anyway, I would never recommend inserting alternate variations / split evolutions inside the 1 - 10xx National Dex listing because then every time you'd have a new variant you'd have to shift everything over... sounds like a pain.

Also - have you seen the national pokedex numbers? If those are correct, what a horrible system they've put in place. The legendaries are just stuck in the middle of it! You can't be doin' that.

An update on this, thank GOD those numbers weren't the actual National Dex numbers because I agree they were wack.

Apparently a card deck was leaked that included references to the real National Dex numbers, so now serebii has them updated

Do you mean a form or sheet that lays out your Home boxes beforehand?
I don't know of anything like that, and probably wouldn't use one because of how I lay out my living dex

For one, nothing ever needs to be shifted because any alternate forms go in their own Alternate Forms set of boxes.
Everything else is laid out by Pokédex number, which is pretty straightforward (unless a game releases without any National Dex numerical info, like Scarlet and Violet.... and you have to get the info from leaked Pokémon card sets....)

Anyway, I would never recommend inserting alternate variations / split evolutions inside the 1 - 10xx National Dex listing because then every time you'd have a new variant you'd have to shift everything over... sounds like a pain.
Yeah I went back and forth for a long time on it when I started this project during early COVID but I landed on putting regional forms next to their originals, ha!

Definitely will be a pain but I’ll only need to do it once every few years really so I decided to bite that bullet.

I appreciate the reply!

I don't really follow any of the suggested orders exactly, but this site can be useful as a quick reference sometimes:

I just found that one too. Pretty awesome, because one of their orderings is exactly how I intend to do mine

On another note, sucks they made Furfrou trims storable now but there's currently no way to obtain them except from GO or GTS trades for trims from GO. I love GO but the only GO mon I'll have is my living dex is Meltan, so hopefully Furfrou is coming to SV in the DLC this year

Back
Top Bottom