• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Live A Live |ST| Livin' La Vida Vida

I'm picking it up on Monday but am not rushing to start it. I'm really enjoying Tokyo Mirage Sessions and will be trying to finish that before starting!

I'll make a better write up later, just kinda tired right now (also frustrated over this), but if you're playing the Edo period, unfortunately and more than frustratingly, I hate to report this, but it contains a gross stereotypical and offensive transphobic trope with a reoccurring enemy you can encounter, which goes beyond just visual design...

Needless to say, I am not even remotely amused by this.

Two screenshots I took from my playthrough tonight:

Inexcusable.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Again, I'll write up more about the whole problem with the character later, once I'm less tired.

Also one late note: The Japanese name of them is also notably more offensive and intentionally changes a character one short of a certain word...

The super boss in prehistoric is very frustrating, the fact you're it has a rare drop is even more absurd.

HD-2D 1.2 engine putting in the work. I don't think i've seen this style look so clean on Switch, especially stark compared to something like Triangle Strategy.

How do you transfer save from demo? Didn't get any prompt when launching my physical version.

I couldn‘t transfer my data because i played the European eShop demo but got the game physically in Japan.

There might be some problem, if you purchased the game from a different region than the demo.

Not entirely sure it‘s the reason, but it happened to me. Nowhere could I transfer my demo data. Good thing is I could repeat all progress in like 1h :D

HD-2D 1.2 engine putting in the work. I don't think i've seen this style look so clean on Switch, especially stark compared to something like Triangle Strategy.

Agree. And I really loved how TS looked.

Can’t wait to see how DQ turns out.

Pretty sure that Live A Live is native 1080p; unlike Octopath (720p) & Triangle Strategy (900p).

In exchange though, the effects work is not as advanced as those two games (especially Octopath).

Pretty sure that Live A Live is native 1080p; unlike Octopath (720p) & Triangle Strategy (900p).

In exchange though, the effects work is not as advanced as those two games (especially Octopath).
wow i didn't realize TS is higher res than Octopath. In my mind it's the blurriest of the 3.

Finished Imperial China last night and started the Prehistoric chapter. Really enjoying it so far, and while

I was expecting the disciple I favored to be the one to inherit the legacy, I didn't expect the other to fucking die, jeeze. (I chose Lei)

Finished Imperial China last night and started the Prehistoric chapter. Really enjoying it so far, and while

I was expecting the disciple I favored to be the one to inherit the legacy, I didn't expect the other to fucking die, jeeze. (I chose Lei)
Honestly such a stunt can only be pulled off due to LaL's chapter structure and the chapter in question being relatively short up till the disciple is chosen. If you get noob trap punished and don't hyper focus on one pupil, hopefully most people reload their save instead of trying to power through.

Honestly such a stunt can only be pulled off due to LaL's chapter structure and the chapter in question being relatively short up till the disciple is chosen. If you get noob trap punished and don't hyper focus on one pupil, hopefully most people reload their save instead of trying to power through.
Honestly I actually didn't hyperfocus on Lei, I simply gave her the extra fight each time and I didn't have much of a problem for the rest of the chapter. Might have been a different story had I done that with Yun though.

Sad fact: this game sadly came out the day after my uncle passed away, so I decided to order the game via Amazon for Monday because I just didn't feel like going out and buying a game while mourning, so I decided to wait for Monday and play the demo on Sunday while waiting.
Instead amazon sent the game immediately and it arrived today.
I hope everyone here is having a fun time with it.

I'm having fun with the Prehistoric because I'm very immature and farting on and throwing shit at my enemies is really funny to me.

Sad fact: this game sadly came out the day after my uncle passed away, so I decided to order the game via Amazon for Monday because I just didn't feel like going out and buying a game while mourning, so I decided to wait for Monday and play the demo on Sunday while waiting.
So sorry for your loss, my condolences.

Sorry to hear, take time to grieve. If you need to vent we're here for you.

Distant Future is freaking heavy, man. Jeez. I shouldn't have started with that one, but I chose at random...

Second one I did was Present Day which was quite the palate cleanser. Short but really fun.

Oh man, I'm gonna have to re-do the whole "setting up the traps" part of the Wild West chapter (so basically most of the chapter) because I cannot deal with three henchmen and the boss all together.

I was fully prepared to binge this game over the weekend, but ultimately decided against it, and to savour it instead.

I was fully prepared to binge this game over the weekend, but ultimately decided against it, and to savour it instead.
i'm aiming for one chapter per day. if i keep that up I should be able to finish in time for Xenoblade! or so I tell myself

The Distant Future chapter makes me really want a HD-2D Xenogears update.

Also does anyone know what determines the
successor
in the China chapter?

The Distant Future chapter makes me really want a HD-2D Xenogears update.

Also does anyone know what determines the
successor
in the China chapter?
I think the disciple with the highest level will become successor. At least that was the case for me.

I've now done 5/7 chapters and so far it's pretty good overall, but Prehistory has definitely been the worst so far. Not bad, exactly, just a bit too long and maybe the lack of dialogue got to me a little. Edo Japan has been the biggest highlight as of yet, but I still have China and Far Future to go.

Very impressed by how unique each of the stories feel so far.

Did Ancient China, Near Future and Far Future and all were great in their own way.

Finished Wild West and Edo Japan today, quite enjoyed them both (WW for the music and EJ for the layout of the castle). Started on Present Day and I'm concerned I won't really care for this one much. The gimmick is neat but I've never been huge on fighting games.

I started playing today and finished my first story with Ancient China. Definitely went in a direction I didn’t expect from the demo. Combat here definitely isn’t as interesting as Edo Japan’s from the demo, but it was a fun power trip. Some spoiler talk:

I didn’t favor any disciple since I hadn’t poked in here and saw this was something to worry about. I was bummed when Lei and Yun died since if it came up more later I would have picked either of them. Hong proved to be a bro though, so it worked out well ultimately.

My goal is to finish this game before Xenoblade 3 so I’ll be back later tonight. Probably sticking with my demo order so I’m tackling the Far Future and Edo Japan next.

Just beat Distant Future and Edo Japan. Thanks, demo save data!

Distant Future was a cool narrative with solid atmospherics. Edo Japan was fantastic. Definitely not expecting every remaining chapter to live up to these in the story and gameplay departments, respectively, but hopefully there's still a few gems left.

I've only played through one of the stories so far, but I liked Distant Future a whole lot. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this game in terms of gameplay, but I'm now sensing each story will be quite different in that regard. Makes me very excited to see more of these chapters, because Distant Future worked for me really well in what it was trying to do, and if the quality of the others are on the same level then this is for sure going to be one of my favorite games of the year.

It's unlikely I'll beat the whole game by the time Xenoblade comes out on Friday, so I'm happy about the individual chapters structure of the game. Will make it easy to hop off the game for a while and jump back in.

I started the pre-historic chapter as my first one and not really impressed so far - think I should have started with a chapter that has some actual dialogue hehe

My copy is still on the mail and I'm not sure when I'll get to start it but I'm gonna do the story in Chronological order. So Prehistory-imperial china-old west, etc.

got the game still sealed...but then I finally started really digging into Triangle Strategy. And now Xenoblade 3 is coming out..
too many RPG strategy games I want to play...and definitely Xenoblade is getting my focus once its released up through completion.

This game looks so good from what I've seen of it. But just not enough time right now to play it

I finished my second story with the far future. Dug the space horror theme. Definitely kept me guessing for a good bit and I liked the ending. Very happy with this game so far. Quite tired so I’m going to bed early, but I’m eager to play more tomorrow.

Finally got it in the mail and started on Prehistory. Very charming game and I appreciate the freedom you have to grind once you get to the Wild Lands.

I really enjoy the battle system. The realtime grid-based ATB system feels like an interesting blend.

I started the pre-historic chapter as my first one and not really impressed so far - think I should have started with a chapter that has some actual dialogue hehe
For my money, Prehistory is the worst chapter (despite still having some charm to it) so at least it's mostly up from there!

Combat is interesting to me, since it seems cool and I like the positioning aspect but also you get so little time to really get a feel for character growth and how to use them and strategize well that it kind of feels a bit flat overall. Maybe this will change later on once I get into whatever is after the stories.

Combat is interesting to me, since it seems cool and I like the positioning aspect but also you get so little time to really get a feel for character growth and how to use them and strategize well that it kind of feels a bit flat overall. Maybe this will change later on once I get into whatever is after the stories.
The review by Edwin Evans-Thirlwell over at Eurogamer directly addressed this
The major drawback of Live A Live's anthology structure is that the combat doesn't quite evolve over the course of the first 15 hours, because each of the initially unlocked time periods needs to be accessible enough to serve as the player's first choice, with its own miniature arc of challenge and complexity. Fortunately, the two concluding chapters turn up the heat, and the final episode especially is an opportunity to really put the battle system through its paces - recruiting previous protagonists from around the map and venturing into character-themed puzzle dungeons to obtain their ultimate weapons.
Source

I don't really want an exact length but how much content is there in each chapter?
I'm mostly interested in the wild west chapter but I don't really want to pick it up if that part is over in just a few hours or something.

I don't really want an exact length but how much content is there in each chapter?
I'm mostly interested in the wild west chapter but I don't really want to pick it up if that part is over in just a few hours or something.
It’s not a long game, I think every chapter is only a few hours or less. Most people are saying beating the entire game is around 25 hours.

Edo has been the most complex chapter so far in terms of level design. Feel like I might have missed a couple of things here and there.

I knocked out both Prehistory and Near Future. Definitely preferred both China and the Far Future from yesterday. Prehistory was fine. I liked having a bigger party finally and I liked the final boss. Near Future was very weird. Was half into it, half not, but I mostly liked how it came together. Combat mostly fell flat, but the final boss was good (four for four here).

Hope to at least play two more tomorrow as Xenoblade inches ever closer.

Damn the length of this thread seems criminal compared to what I’ve head about this game on my podcasts

but I guess I’m part of the problem, so hello!

Do I finally play Octopath on Game Pass for Free or Buy Live A Live?

I knocked out both Prehistory and Near Future. Definitely preferred both China and the Far Future from yesterday. Prehistory was fine. I liked having a bigger party finally and I liked the final boss. Near Future was very weird. Was half into it, half not, but I mostly liked how it came together. Combat mostly fell flat, but the final boss was good (four for four here).

Hope to at least play two more tomorrow as Xenoblade inches ever closer.
All the final bosses are pretty great, it's hard to be let down when you get that epic introduction and boss dialogue and then "Megalomania" starts cranking in your ears.

I think I'd rank the chapters:

1) Edo Japan
2) China
3) Near Future
4) Old West
5) Far Future
6) Modern Day
7) Prehistory

Okay, I haven't had a whole lot of time to play but I did get farther in present day, and I'm actually really enjoying it. I missed a move though which annoys me.

Just got the true ending after 28 hours of playtime ^^.

Loved the game A LOT. The endgame is quite big. It's a great thing that the game makes sure the endgame is a separate acess so you can experiment with your initial decision before going all in.

It sure is one of my favorite JRPG now. The themes, the stories, the characters, the humor, the very dark moments, the twists... Loved it !

Toby Fox / 10

My ranking of the chapters as a whole would be

1) Imperial China
2) Edo Japan
3) Far Future
4) Modern Day
5) Prehistoric
6) Near Future
7) Wild West

I don't think Wild West is bad, I just think it's too short and it's scenario gimmick is too easy to pull off.

Near Future just kinda drags, I like the story but Akira's abilities feel like they're not designed well around the enemies in his chapter. The ending is amazing though.

Prehistoric makes me laugh with how animated the characters are, it also has pretty solid pacing as long as you don't grind for the super boss.

Modern Day and Far Future nails what they're going for perfectly

Edo Japan gives a ton of variety of how to tackle the chapter, the only thing that holds it back from being at the top is that the in scenario story is kinda whatever.

Imperial China has the perfect balance of a great story, compelling characters, and a great gimmick to it's structure. It's the perfect LAL scenario because what it does can only work in a game like this where each scenario is 1-2 hours on average.

I'd slot the medieval chapter below modern day. I love the ending twist, and I love the first half of the chapter. The second half when you're going through the same dungeon again solo really drags the pacing a lot. If not for that segment it'd probably be #2.

My ranking of the chapters as a whole would be

1) Imperial China
2) Edo Japan
3) Far Future
4) Modern Day
5) Prehistoric
6) Near Future
7) Wild West

I don't think Wild West is bad, I just think it's too short and it's scenario gimmick is too easy to pull off.

Near Future just kinda drags, I like the story but Akira's abilities feel like they're not designed well around the enemies in his chapter. The ending is amazing though.

Prehistoric makes me laugh with how animated the characters are, it also has pretty solid pacing as long as you don't grind for the super boss.

Modern Day and Far Future nails what they're going for perfectly

Edo Japan gives a ton of variety of how to tackle the chapter, the only thing that holds it back from being at the top is that the in scenario story is kinda whatever.

Imperial China has the perfect balance of a great story, compelling characters, and a great gimmick to it's structure. It's the perfect LAL scenario because what it does can only work in a game like this where each scenario is 1-2 hours on average.

I'd slot the medieval chapter below modern day. I love the ending twist, and I love the first half of the chapter. The second half when you're going through the same dungeon again solo really drags the pacing a lot. If not for that segment it'd probably be #2.
Yeah I just completed Medieval last night and the twist is good, but the chapter felt a bit too long, especially them making you walk back and forth through that entire dungeon two more times. And I feel like the little mini-bosses throughout weren't really necessary, and were also kind of frustrating to fight solo. Could easily have just warped you to the boss room and skipped all that.

Question! Haven’t started the game yet. Would it be possible to play this game with a SNES NSO controller? As in, would I be able to completely play the game without needing sticks at all? I feel like it would just feel right with a SNES pad.

Question! Haven’t started the game yet. Would it be possible to play this game with a SNES NSO controller? As in, would I be able to completely play the game without needing sticks at all? I feel like it would just feel right with a SNES pad.
I can't think of anything that requires the sticks for any reason in the remake. You should be all set.

Back
Top Bottom