• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Live A Live |ST| Livin' La Vida Vida

Finished Near Future. A great homage to classic sc fi anime. I was excited about the telepathy skill but it doesn’t really get utilized. At least Akira’s psychic powers are awesome for battle. Best skillset out of the chapter protagonists so far. And that part where you get to pilot the giant robot? Lovely. Utterly lovely.

One reoccurring flaw with the game: you really have to rely on the minimap a lot to figure out where to go. Sometimes conversations just end and they don’t say what you’re supposed to do next. Terrible signposting.

Anyway, I’m half an hour into Twilight of Edo. Not enthused about the feudal Japan setting and the stealth is about as shitty as I’d expect from a non-stealth focused game. I think I’m gonna speedrun this one.

Got through Twilight of Edo. I managed to avoid killing anyone (at least, anyone that mattered for the count) until the last part. I assume I missed some secret route that lets you attain complete pacifism, but man I'm not gonna waste my time trying to find that while I wrestle with the crappy stealth mechanics. Map layout also confused me a bit. I think I might put this below Prehistory honestly, it's an actively annoying chapter. Shame, too, since this looked like one of the more interesting eras, from the trailer.

Anyway, off to the Distant Future. Hoping I can finish that tonight.

Done with Distant Future. Interesting how this chapter is mostly narrative. And know what, I dig it. Especially since said narrative is a sci-fi horror story, complete with hunting monster segments and rogue AI running amuck. it's a bit too cut down to be impactful, but it's hard to get disappointed with that kind of theming. Also, it's a bit of waste that this one doesn't seem to have multiple routes.

Last stop-- Imperial China. I doubt it's the last stop actually. There's gotta be an extra chapter where the storylines converge.

Imperial China was full of the tropey wuxia goodness. Again, the mechanics are a bit unwieldy relative to what the story wants to achieve (I think I would have preferred the sparring to have been more streamlined than having to fight the same fight over and over again) but overall I liked the sentiment. I think I screwed up since only Lei survived in my run. Sorry to the other two.

Anyway... (late game spoilers) finishing all seven chapters unlocks an 8th chapter, like I expected, called The Middle Ages. First impression just from the chapter title, kinda disappointing that we're going back to boring standard RPG setting. We'll probably be put in the role of some boring do-gooder knight. However, this has gotta be where everything ties together. I expect some sort of isekai plot to provide an excuse for the other protagonists to show up.

Alright, time to boot it up!

One reoccurring flaw with the game: you really have to rely on the minimap a lot to figure out where to go. Sometimes conversations just end and they don’t say what you’re supposed to do next. Terrible signposting.

Yeah, it's really a sign of the vintage of the game. This game was originally in development between Final Fantasy V and VI and it shows. You can get by without the minimap but you really need to remember that the expectation was that you'd just wander around talking to people until you hit whatever conversation unlocked the next leg of the journey. At least in this game the areas are fairly small so you don't have to wander that much.

Got through Twilight of Edo. I managed to avoid killing anyone (at least, anyone that mattered for the count) until the last part. I assume I missed some secret route that lets you attain complete pacifism, but man I'm not gonna waste my time trying to find that while I wrestle with the crappy stealth mechanics. Map layout also confused me a bit. I think I might put this below Prehistory honestly, it's an actively annoying chapter. Shame, too, since this looked like one of the more interesting eras, from the trailer.
I didn't find the stealth all that bad. If you got caught the game was very generous about letting you run away which was nice. It's not great, but it's also not punishing like other games that have attempted to do stealth sections (cough Ocarina of Time cough)

I think I screwed up since only Lei survived in my run. Sorry to the other two.
You did not screw up.

you really need to remember that the expectation was that you'd just wander around talking to people until you hit whatever conversation unlocked the next leg of the journey
Which is why I activated the minimap haha. Some stuff is better left in the past

If you got caught the game was very generous about letting you run away which was nice. It's not great, but it's also not punishing like other games that have attempted to do stealth sections
I would have much preferred a rudimentary stealth mechanic based on darkness and vision cones compared to what we got. Sure, failing the stealth carries little penalty, but it’s still awful because of how superfluous it is.

You did not screw up
Oh, cool.

Anyway, trucking along the middle ages, just beat the Demon Lord. Except it wasn’t really the big bad, just some grunt.The previous hero dies from overexertion and the best friend gets left behind in the rubble. Fully expecting that dude to be in cahoots with the real Demon Lord. And perhaps we’ll need the help of friends, throughout time, to kick their asses.

Okay, I see… (late game spoilers) Oersted is the bad guy, He’s the one who’s somehow been spreading the name and evil of Odio throughout time. Thus, chapter 9 unveils itself. Which has to be the part where the story becomes an isekai, yeah?

Anyway, I’m gonna play it by ear. It wants me to choose someone as my main character, but presumably I’ll be able to recruit the rest while playing the chapter?

Okay, I see… (late game spoilers) Oersted is the bad guy, He’s the one who’s somehow been spreading the name and evil of Odio throughout time. Thus, chapter 9 unveils itself. Which has to be the part where the story becomes an isekai, yeah?

Anyway, I’m gonna play it by ear. It wants me to choose someone as my main character, but presumably I’ll be able to recruit the rest while playing the chapter?
All player characters appear in the chapter and can be recruited. Ideally you'll want to find them all. The only one you won't be able to switch out is your choice of lead.

All player characters appear in the chapter and can be recruited. Ideally you'll want to find them all. The only one you won't be able to switch out is your choice of lead.
Thanks. I’m assuming four is the limit for active party members?

So I picked Akira for my lead character since I think his moveset is the coolest, and so far I've managed to recruit Lei. Also found the cowboy but he skedaddled when I talked to him. I guess I have to chase him around the map; I just hope he won't be too annoying to get.

There seems to be new dungeons in this area. Do I have to do any of them? Or alternatively will I miss anything cool if I decide to make a beeline for Odio?

So I picked Akira for my lead character since I think his moveset is the coolest, and so far I've managed to recruit Lei. Also found the cowboy but he skedaddled when I talked to him. I guess I have to chase him around the map; I just hope he won't be too annoying to get.

There seems to be new dungeons in this area. Do I have to do any of them? Or alternatively will I miss anything cool if I decide to make a beeline for Odio?

You get gear from some of the dungeons, but none of it is particularly required. You probably want to recruit everyone to your party at least once before you head for Odio, since it gets you some extra scenes.

You get gear from some of the dungeons, but none of it is particularly required. You probably want to recruit everyone to your party at least once before you head for Odio, since it gets you some extra scenes.
Thanks. I'll try recruiting everyone (still missing caveman and cowboy), then probably do a couple of dungeons before heading for the final battle.

Rolled credits. Spared Oersted and got to do that boss rush mode, which was annoying since again the battle system isn’t that good and it’s worse when you only have one character to control. Especially if that character is underleveled. That said, it was nice getting everyone together, and in the final FINAL battle you even get to use all seven at once!

I have a lot of quibbles about Live A Live, but it’s not an experience I regret. The concept is just so fascinating and for the most part it delivers.

Argh. I beat the game a couple months ago, but didn’t go for the True Ending thinking I could get 4 characters, hit their dungeons, beat the boss and then start over with a different set on the chapter cleared save. And everything from the first run would persist.

It. Does. Not. Work. Like. That. 😩

And I stupidly overwrote my main save with the cleared chapter data so it’s not like I can reload before the boss and finish up everything I had left to do. Which would’ve been the smart decision in the first place 🤦‍♂️

Well back into the void again.

Started playing this tonight, picked Imperial China to start with and finished the chapter. Really digging the game so far.

Hong was the one who survived, I didn’t know the others would die going in and made an effort to spend an equal amount of sessions training each disciple, but apparently the game will default to Hong if that’s the case. Man, I’m shocked they did something like that, really curious what the rest of the game has in store.

6 chapters down, I have Twilight of Edo Japan saved for last. So far, I'd say Far Future and Wild West have been my favorite. I appreciate how every chapter seems to have a dark twist, and despite bracing myself for when it inevitably drops, I still manage to be caught off guard each time it does. Except when the Wild West villain turned into a horse, which was an entirely different form of WTF. I'm decently sure there's more to the game after clearing the 7 routes (like, there's a guy on the box art who's not in the chapter menu...), so I'm looking forward to that when it comes.

6 chapters down, I have Twilight of Edo Japan saved for last. So far, I'd say Far Future and Wild West have been my favorite. I appreciate how every chapter seems to have a dark twist, and despite bracing myself for when it inevitably drops, I still manage to be caught off guard each time it does. Except when the Wild West villain turned into a horse, which was an entirely different form of WTF. I'm decently sure there's more to the game after clearing the 7 routes (like, there's a guy on the box art who's not in the chapter menu...), so I'm looking forward to that when it comes.
Yeah Wild West was the chapter I picked first, so that was an interesting first impression! Not a bad chapter, but different. Edo Japan is fantastic and might be the prettiest in terms of the pixel art, too! Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom