• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Live A Live |ST| Livin' La Vida Vida

MissingNo.

Nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut!
Pronouns
He/Him
uFazeaD.png

Massive shout-out to @Sumio Mondo, whose contributions made this ST come alive.

QUICK FACTS

Release date:2022/07/22 (WW)
Platform:Nintendo Switch
Genre:Turn-based RPG, Strategy
Developer:Historia, Square Enix
Director:Takashi Tokita
Publisher:Square Enix (Japan), Nintendo (ROTW)
Rating:PEGI 12, USK 12, ESRB T, CERO C
File size:4.6 GB
Physical release:available
Demo:available on Nintendo eShop
Voices:Japanese, English
Text:Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Korean, Chinese (simplified, traditional)

lal-contact-scenario.jpg

One of the promotional art-pieces for the game, created by Naoki Imushima. This one was created for the Prehistory Chapter.

THE GAME'S HISTORY​

Living In The Past

Originally released back in September 1994 in Japan for the Super Famicom, Live A Live was originally directed by Takashi Tokita, who had previously been a lead designer for Final Fantasy IV. Tokita aimed to tell multiple different, shorter stories, each with a unique setting and cast of characters. The distinct styles for each of the seven chapters were designed by a different Manga artist each. Meanwhile, the sountrack was composed by Yoko Shimomura, who had only joined Squaresoft in 1993 after having previously worked for Capcom, most notably on Street Fighter II.

Even though the game was re-released in Japan through both the Virtual Console for WiiU (2015) and 3DS (2016), the game never recieved an official localisation, and subsequently was not released outside of Japan and only playable in English through fan translations.

The Remake​

Stayin' Alive

Until today, that is! Square Enix decided not only to localise the game, but also to give it a full HD-2D remake with rebalanced gameplay, quality of life improvements, and redrawn character art by Naoki Ikushima. Shimomura returns to arrange and orchestrate the soundtrack, which now includes a vocal version of the Near Future chapter's "Go! Go! Buriki Daioh!" theme, performed by Hironobu Kageyama. You may or may not know him for his performance of Dragon Ball Z's opening theme.

Check out this comparison between the original game and the remake!

Some more detailed information on the industry legends who worked on Live A Live follows below:

Takashi Tokita​

Producer, Game Director & Co-Writer of Live A Live

takashi-tokita-690127b6-073f-4729-8f4b-76e53be751f-resize-750.jpeg
One of Square's longest reigning staff members. This game was Tokita's directorial debut. Previous to this was lead designer of Final Fantasy IV in 1991. Later he worked on Chrono Trigger as one of the game's co-directors, and was the Director of the original Parasite Eve.

Over the years he has worked on legendary games in various roles from event planner on Final Fantasy VII, to Director of The Bouncer, Director of Chocobo Racing, Director of Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. He has even worked on horror games such as Nanashi no Game & Ikenie no Yoru. The man is a legend.

He cited various sources such as Devilman, Shane, Alien, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and various manga as sources of inspiration.

Tokita returns as the Producer for the Remake.

Yoko Shimomura​

Music Composer & Arranger of Live A Live

Yoko_Shimomura.jpg
The legendary Yoko Shimomura's breadth of work is so vast and cast so wide that you are probably not even aware that she worked on it. Thinking of her work on Capcom arcade classics like the legendary music of Street Fighter II, to Final Fight, Gargoyle’s Quest, The Punisher and various others before she became one of Square’s most prolific composers of them all.

Live A Live was actually her first composed work at Square. Just think of that, before she worked on Front Mission, Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Legend of Mana, Kingdom Hearts series and Final Fantasy XV, she poured her heart and soul into Live A Live's music. Just listen to the samples of her work on the SNES version here!

Also, check out a Behind the Scenes on one of the main themes of the game — yes, they worked with Hironobu Kageyama, who not only performed in many a classic anime opening back in the day, but also in Mystical Ninja on N64, right here!

Naoki Ikushima​

Concept Artist/Character Artist

lal-inheritance-scenario.jpg
Ikushima's amazing concept/character art returns for another RPG adventure from Square Enix. His work was based on those artists who worked on the original SNES game, who were working on manga for the publisher Shogakukan.

You may recognise his work from Triangle Strategy, Bravely Default II, and Octopath Traveller.

Check out some of his artwork spread throughout the thread, and here!

GAMEPLAY​

Living In A Box

Live A Live is a role playing game in which the player takes on the role of eight different protagonists.

While each narrative has the same basic mechanics, individual stories have unique gimmicks. These include the use of stealth, a lack of standard battles, or using telepathy to learn new facts to progress the narrative.

Play in any order

You can tackle any of the scenarios in any order you choose. You can leave one and progress with another, returning to it later.

Battles

Battles can be started differently depending on which scenario you’re playing. Some feature random encounters, others — similar to games such as Chrono Trigger or Saga Frontier — are initiated by bumping into enemies to start a battle. Others are scripted in a linear fashion.

The 7x7 grid battles might bring to mind Strategy RPGs. Each battle will require you to make use of your skills: some target specific grids, others will take a while to charge. Plan your moves accordingly.

LIVE-A-LIVE_2022_06-13-22_051.jpg

Try the free demo! Saves carry over to the main game!

FEATURED CHAPTERS​

One Of The Living

Each of these seven stories are available from the start, and can be chosen in any order. Each story features its own protagonist and supporting cast, different gameplay styles, and mechanics.

ezgif-3-37529814bf.gif

PREHISTORY​

Protagonist: Pogo

Fight to Survive in an Age without Words

ezgif-3-0151b31f2a.gif

IMPERIAL CHINA​

Protagonist: The Earthen Heart Shifu

Entrust Your Legacy to a Young Disciple

ezgif-3-32718e1696.gif

THE WILD WEST​

Protagonist: The Sundown Kid

Take a Stand against Murderous Outlaws

ezgif-3-671930704f.gif

TWILIGHT OF EDO JAPAN​

Protagonist: Oboromaru

Brave a Deadly Castle for the Greater Good

ezgif-3-26a164de62.gif

PRESENT DAY​

Protagonist: Masaru Takahara

Face the World's Best and Become the Strongest

ezgif-3-63a7cbd05e.gif

THE NEAR FUTURE​

Protagonist: Akira Tadokoro

Defy Maniacal Madmen with Your Secret Powers

ezgif-3-514e68c311.gif

THE DISTANT FUTURE​

Protagonist: Cube

Discover the Truth of a Tragedy in Space

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES​

Nintendo Store
Official Site

M8JZ9tf.jpg

It’s time to Live A Live

Reserved space.

This has gone up a bit early, because I won't be able to post it tomorrow.

Awesome OP. Excited to play this game a lot this coming week. The demo got me really excited for the battle system.

How can I be so hype for something yet have no desire to get it at release. Will get it before the year is through but xbc3 takes priority

33/40 from Famitsu, pretty good though I rarely trust them unless it's a 39 or 40/40

Excellent work on the ST! I can't believe this is finally almost here. This was the second fan translation (mad props to Gideon Zhi and his team over at AGTP) I attempted (first was Front Mission) and I've only made it through the Prehistoric and Near Future chapters in the past. This game is definitely something special and it's a shame we didn't get it the first time around due to low sales in Japan but it's very deserving of its cult classic status.

The original OST is an absolute banger and it somehow has been available on iTunes for years:

I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the discussion on this. Despite never having finished it, there's a lot of good writing about the game online and I know there's some twists that are going to be fun to see people discover :)

Thanks for the compliments, peeps. Really enjoyed the collab on it with MissingNo. Should do it again sometime in the future!

Got my shipping notification on Saturday so should be here very soon, hopefully.

Xenoblade 3 I'll be getting after this (still have yet to play Torna as well), so I totally get people prioritising Xenoblade 3, game looks like potential GOTY quality (trying to stay away from spoilers though). Monolith Soft never really have let me down, their games are so immersive.

Gonna echo Sumio here, thank you all for your kind words! Great to see we stuck the landing.

Really enjoyed the collab on it with MissingNo. Should do it again sometime in the future!
The pleasure was mine, perhaps we shall meet again!

Looking forward to this game. But having a lot to play, and getting ready for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 quickly approaching release makes finding time to play and beat this tough

I still haven't pre ordered this yet. I found 1 online at Smyth's at £29.99, cheapest one so far but I won't be playing as I am STILL playing MH Sunbreak and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is taking my top priority.

Decisions...

I pre-ordered late so I think my copy won’t arrive until Monday at the earliest. Looks like I may be making use of the demo after all 😅

I might get my game today a bit earlier than release date, does anyone want for me to check anything that wasn’t on the demo?

Reviews have come out.

yeah that's pretty much what I thought, an 8 out of 10 by most critics
can't wait to play it tomorrow

I won't be able to play it until Monday, but I can't wait ! Especially excited for the western episode. Wild Arms is the only other western JRPG I know about I think.

Where are the reviews? It releases in 15 hrs

edit:

Last edited:
There is a new final boss phase, complete with a new song, if you meet certain requirements. The reviews probably don't mention it because they are probably not aware it was added and not in the original.

My copy is arriving tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it, the little bit of the demo I played was good, and it's been a while since I've played an old-school JRPG like this.

Is the game running at 30 or 60fps? not that it matters much for the genre but I'm curious
Most definitively 30, from what I can tell. Have not experienced any hiccups so far.

Curiously, though, my day 1 Switch sounds like a jet engine playing this in docked mode.

Picked up a copy before work, sadly won't get to dive in until this evening

Mine isn’t coming until Wednesday next week, but I also pre-ordered a couple days ago. Hopefully you don’t have to wait as long.
Normally I wouldn't mind for a game like this, but I am expecting Xenoblade next week so I was hoping to get through this game over the next week.

On the flip side, my Xenoblade pre-order is with Target as well so everything might be delayed lol.

So I just blinked and completed two more chapters (China and Wild West) for a total of three. Really like how they change up the playstyles. The fact that each of the chapters is bite-sized (~ 2h) and offers something new and different really makes for an addictive formula.

I don't think this game will live to see another week for me at this rate.

I am making my way thru the demo chapters. I did not play Octopath, so the HD-2D is relatively fresh for me and looks so so good.
Also appreciate the voice acting, rly kicks up the presentation a notch!

Went ahead and ordered a copy. I'm still going through Three Hopes and Xenoblade 3 comes out soon, so i probably won't play till August. That said, a wonderful game like this deserves a day one sale.

Absolutely wild that I just walked into Target and bought a remake of a niche, previously unlocalized JRPG that I fell in love with years ago while studying Japanese. The Switch era has been so incredible.

Anyway, time to blast through this. I'm obviously going to enjoy every minute, but I do need to get this finished before Xenoblade 3 next week.

Back
Top Bottom