• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Live A Live HD-2D Remaster announced for Nintendo Switch, coming July 22nd (UPDATE: new trailers, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I'm going to replay the original again in anticipation. I can't see me burning out before release.

...I'm going to replay the original again in anticipation. I can't see me burning out before release.
Given the number of ways you can go through the order of characters I think you can easily have enough variety to not be burned out by it.

On a side note, I would absolutely kill for Tomato to do a comparison of this game across the two JP releases and the AGTP fan translation and the official one that comes with this

Given the number of ways you can go through the order of characters I think you can easily have enough variety to not be burned out by it.
Even some of the individual chapters independently offer quite a bit of choice in how you want to tackle them

Last edited:
I never played the original but the music was always amazing and this remake looks unbelievable so I'm pretty hyped to play the game!

Can't wait. Can't believe we are getting this and Xenoblade 3 within a week.

The new concept art looks great!

A bit of a bummer they're showing of Oerstad. I was always under the impression that campaign was a bit of a secret. Then again, it is a 20+ year old game.

This game looks off the heezy fo sheezy, as the yutes say. I didn't finish the original release, but I will definitely finish the playthough of this.

Man this game looks awesome. i wished Nintendo would make Camelot do remake Golden Sun 1&2 in HD-2D

english trailers

Hey it's Alfyn's VA as Akira!

This game is firing on all cylinders
There is some serious love going into this remake. Unbelieveable given how obscure this game seems even among Square-Enix's teams. I know Tokita snuck in a reference to it in Final Fantasy Dimensions 2 but beyond that it's just been sitting there dormant outside of Virtual Console re-issues for about 18 years.

This looks so good. I wish it wasn't releasing so close to Xenoblade, but I'm definitely (hopefully lol) going to play this this year.

So looking at the Japanese trailer for the Edo period, it looks like Norio Wakamoto is voicing Ode (people may know him as Cell from Dragon Ball and Charles zi Britannia from Code Geass). Definitely a character I think fits him and he does tend to get type casted as villains a lot, haha.

One thing though is I can definitely notice he's struggling to do the voice anymore and Ode's far from the only instance we've noticed this with. Definitely combination of how difficult the voice is and age. He's definitely still giving it his all and I'm glad he's still getting work all these years later.

Honestly, looking at the Japanese voice cast, as well as getting Kageyama to do a remix/remake of one of the songs in the game, it really feels like they're getting a lot of era people to work on this from the time period this came out in originally. This really does feel like a lot of love is going into this remake and I really hope it holds up as well as what we've seen of it so far.

I'm so hyped for this game, it has so much charm, ost sounds amazing. But the English VA sucks so bad, but that won't ruin the game for me.
Yeah, in games with textbox-based cutscenes and voice acting, I find myself more and more often just turning off the voices pretty early in the game. Usually I find that the VA, even if it's not bad, doesn't really add anything to the characters that I don't get from simply reading the dialogue, and I just end up finding it to be a nuisance since I always finish reading the line long before the voiced dialogue is finished.

Yeah, in games with textbox-based cutscenes and voice acting, I find myself more and more often just turning off the voices pretty early in the game. Usually I find that the VA, even if it's not bad, doesn't really add anything to the characters that I don't get from simply reading the dialogue, and I just end up finding it to be a nuisance since I always finish reading the line long before the voiced dialogue is finished.
I agree. But I also think English dubs are worse than JP VA in general, at least in Japanese games. I play western games in their original language or with voices turned off when possible. And games with lots of text are usually better without voice acting, because like you said, you'll read faster than the voice acted lines.

Huh?! The English dub is perfect for the feel of the game to me, goes great with the 90’s anime vibe

Only thing that's bothering me about the dub is that it certainly sounds like some of the VAs are basically reprising their roles from Octopath which is messing with my head

I cautiously excited for this game. I've been worried to get into these kind of games because I don't know if I will like them but they are rpgs and I like rpgs.

I will probably get this one but I fear I'll pick it up and then just drop it 10 hours in.

I think 13 Sentinels played rather well with the dub, mostly because the auto-advance works so good in that game, and you can even set the delay.
But I also don't really care about necessarily playing with the japanese dub anymore ever since I played Persona 4 Golden.

If this doesn't have auto-advance I'll probably read faster than the dialogue is acted out so I probably won't hear half of the the performance outside of very climactic moments.

I cautiously excited for this game. I've been worried to get into these kind of games because I don't know if I will like them but they are rpgs and I like rpgs.

I will probably get this one but I fear I'll pick it up and then just drop it 10 hours in.
If you really don't know you could try the fan translation of the original Super Famicom rom.
It's probably exactly the same game with different graphics and translation, but maybe it could help with your purchasing decision.
I played one of the scenarios years ago, but it's what put this game on my radar so I'll maybe even pick it up on release.

I genuinely hope this does well. I know Chrono Trigger doesn't need any additional push to get a port to modern consoles, but I'd love to see Chrono Trigger and Parasite Eve get re-released to close the loop on this weird branch of the Squaresoft family tree that starts with Live-A-Live.

I think 13 Sentinels played rather well with the dub, mostly because the auto-advance works so good in that game, and you can even set the delay.
But I also don't really care about necessarily playing with the japanese dub anymore ever since I played Persona 4 Golden.

If this doesn't have auto-advance I'll probably read faster than the dialogue is acted out so I probably won't hear half of the the performance outside of very climactic moments.
13 Sentinels is actually one of the games I turned off the voice acting for, heh heh. Not that I thought the dub was bad at all, I just prefer reading. Although Persona 4 was one game where I did enjoy the dub enough to leave it on.
I am more hyped for this than Xeno3
Is that strange?
I don’t know if there are very many of us, but I certainly agree! I’m definitely picking this up at release or soon afterward, whereas Xenoblade 3 is a “maybe sometime down the road if it’s on sale and I have nothing else to play” kind of game.

I played the fan translation of Live A Live a few years back and one thing I love about this game is how snappily paced it is and how you’re always having something totally new and different thrown at you. Every story is maybe 1-3 hours or so and most of them include unique gameplay features and methods of progression in addition to the obviously different settings and self-contained stories. It’s such a refreshing contrast to the gigantic, often bloated open world games which are so prevalent at the moment.

Last edited:
this game looks better than it has any right to. The original release wasnt that beloved was it? im more interested in this one than with xenoblade 3

13 Sentinels is actually one of the games I turned off the voice acting for, heh heh. Not that I thought the dub was bad at all, I just prefer reading. Although Persona 4 was one game where I did enjoy the dub enough to leave it on.

I don’t know if there are very many of us, but I certainly agree! I’m definitely picking this up at release or soon afterward, whereas Xenoblade 3 is a “maybe sometime down the road if it’s on sale and I have nothing else to play” kind of game.

I played the fan translation of Live A Live a few years back and one thing I love about this game is how snappily paced it is and how you’re always having something totally new and different thrown at you. Every story is maybe 1-3 hours or so and most of them include unique gameplay features and methods of progression in addition to the obviously different settings and self-contained stories. It’s such a refreshing contrast to the gigantic, often bloated open world games which are so prevalent at the moment.
I wasn’t super interested in this but after hearing more about the format and the length I’m actually very interested now. I just had two kids a few months ago - I don’t have time to sink 80 hours into XB3 doing a bunch of fetch quests and grinding. I’m all for a great 20-30 hour RPG though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom