• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Lil Gator Game |ST| The Legend of A Short Hike: Lil Gator

• Thread starter Deleted member 101
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 101

i6frI4l.png

Developed by MegaWobble.
Published by Playtonic Friends.
Coming out on Nintendo Switch and Steam on Dec 14, 2022.
Their Patreon.

Slzv4q2.png
Glad you asked, because I'm dying to find out too. The Steam page describes it as an open-world, movement-focussed adventure where atop every hill is a buddy that needs your help. You bop cardboard baddies, brave serene hills and forests, and scale sheer rocks that only a kid would dare.

eEMV8BS.png
  • It. Has. A. Cute. Gator
  • The game is very exploration- and quest-based
  • It has crafting
  • It is cute
  • It has a gator
  • it has a cute gator.

UZKUyUA.png

E61WZmVWUAYLPgG

E61WggUX0AAn5a0

E1cZNLEX0AMSQQm

Update Nov 22:

Personal comments:
I'm very excited to try the demo. While the game reminds me of Zelda and A Short Hike, I really want to explore and enjoy the game at its own merits. The trailer, artstyle and music grabbed my attention immediately.
What are your thoughts on this game? Is this the first time you heard of it? Did you already play the demo?
I'm also really glad that Playtonic is looking into giving small developers like these their attention, we need more publishers that support indie devs.

Alright so I just finished playing the demo and here are my thoughts:

It controlls really well, the writing is funny, the color are amazing, the music is a little generic but it works like a Short HIke, as you get higher up the music changes.
The combat is funny but you're basically bashing static objects. Swimming works great, climbing is fun, gliding is fun.

On its own it's a fun exploration game with quirky characters and an unique look and feel. Can't wait for this game to launch on Switch.

This looks really fun! Sadly I don't own a PC so I can't check out the demo, but I'll keep an eye out for this on Switch for sure.

This looks amazing. I still haven't played my copy of A Short Hike yet but I imagine this will have similar vibes.

this had a really nice pre order sale (30%) but i was too nervous to pull the trigger

fake edit: ooh it still is

I'm so happy I picked this up on Switch and I haven't even played it yet. Runs at 60 FPS and has some proper settings to make the experience enjoyable. Can't wait to get into it!

You don't have to make a new thread really. You made such a nice OP for this thread! You can just change the thread title and the tag if you want.

Oh good one, might find some time to photoshop a quick new banner tomorrow. Changed the title now and the tag. if the tag is wrong please correct me :)
Can't wait to play this! already got it installed

updated the banner and

i'm gonna play it today!

Last minute sleeper GOTY candidate tbh

Really nice vibes, feels good to control. It's also a game about making your own Zelda game IRL, perfect for the Famiboards demographic

It’s freaking adorable, first off. It hits you right in the face with the charm from the start and it never lets up. The movement feels good. It’s fun to hunt the cardboard baddies. The music is good too, and the performance is excellent.

I just can’t shake the feeling that after an hour I’ve already seen all that the game has to offer.

I beat the game with a 100% of the characters found yesterday. The character interactions are wholesome and funny, but the more serious story it tries to tell through the big sister is a bit too spelled out and not very impactful for me.

The thing that I initially enjoyed the most was the traversal, but that was also watered down towards the end:

After getting the fourth stamina upgrade, you get infinite stamina and climbing becomes competely trivial.

There are also two items that you can use to fly, a balloon and bubble gum. You can jump out of them and reactivate them after it, so by continuously alternating between the item and jump you can gain altitude incredibly fast and then float wherever. This is not necessarily a bug, but at least a somewhat major design oversight 😅

I'm being quite critical here, but actually I did have fun with the game. For me it just suffers a lot from its similarity to A Short Hike, which manages to convey a more impactful story and be mechanically more interesting. If the two games weren't so similar, maybe I would also have finished Lil Gator Game with more positive feelings.

Last edited:
I just started it and was doing Jill's quest. I got the stick, was whacking the cardboard monsters, but when it came to the last one, the A button stopped doing anything? Am I missing something because it feels kind of like a glitch.

Yeah, possibly a glitch. I closed the software and restarted and that last baddie went down.

Not good to play this alongside BOTW what with the same actions but different buttons. Fortunately, with button remapping I can make it less of a muscle memory mess.

Last edited:
Just finished it and cried a little. Such a sweet sweet game

Back
Top Bottom