• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

TV Like a Dragon: Yakuza TV show announced. Prime Video October 24th, 2024

carbvan

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
he/him

?????????????????????????????????

RANDOMLY AT 11:01 PM ON A MONDAY RGG TWEETED THIS.

P4P8hhq.png

edit: I got the embed to work but GODDAMN it's huge.

Idk how to feel about this. I'm so attached to the in-game version of Kiryu with Kuroda's performace that I can't see him any other way. Hopefully this is good. Amazon seemed to understand what they were doing with Fallout, and Yakuza film adaptions have happened in the past which were received well, so maybe there's hope.

I haven't played the Yakuza games but the fact that the lead of Kamen Rider Drive is playing Kiryu is wild

A TV show is a better fit than a movie, that's for sure, since it can have plenty of non-plot-related episodes of just people's lives to fit with Substories of the games.
At least I hope it's not just a very basic retelling of Yakuza 1's main plot, because I find that game to be a little boring in that regard.

I see why they've gone with that title but it's pretty funny to me that after Yakuza: Like a Dragon we now have Like a Dragon: Yakuza.

Kuroda's a super tough act to beat as Kiryu, but will check this out,

Actually, they really should base it on Yakuza 0 which is so much better as a story, it's insane.

Kiryu will apparently be played by Ryoma Takeuchi, known (to weebs like me, at least) as Kamen Rider Drive.

I have to say he seems a little too young and pretty to play Kiryu. I always got the impression Kiryu is meant to look rugged and manly because he's s'posed to be so intimidating but he's really just a complete goofball with a heart of gold.

Regardless I did not see this coming at all and I am very excited nonetheless. The Yakuza games would be pretty easy to adapt so it's a good choice. I just wonder how much of the side content they'll use. Are the adult babies or kart racing in? 'cause that'd be hilarious.

I'm glad this is a television series and not a film, I think an episodic run makes a lot more sense for Yakuza than a theatrical release. The Like A Dragon movie that currently exists is... Interesting, though not the best.

Hope this turns out good. The recent Fallout show was great, so I hope this can add to the list of above-average or even good video game adaptations.

They should absolutely start with 0 and give cameos to the VAs for Kuze, Shibusawa and Awano.

Best part is that all of these episodes will air on Friday.

ah yes...Friday Night!

What the hell, I'm game.

We need an extra episode for the Amon battle, though.

Just watched some tubes of the actor. He doesn't have a deep voice even. Looks soft. Doesn't have the voice. What is this.

And lastly 😀

Doesn't look the part. At all.

Give him another role instead.

Are you serious? You can't be, right? I just sent you a picture from his own Insta showing him bulking up and you send him making kitty sounds as a comeback? Not only are those videos outdated and don't show the work he's been putting in... None of this shows he can't be Kiryu? Especially the kitty video. Do I need to send footage of like half the side mission in the series?

Are you serious? You can't be, right? I just sent you a picture from his own Insta showing him bulking up and you send him making kitty sounds as a comeback? Not only are those videos outdated and don't show the work he's been putting in... None of this shows he can't be Kiryu? Especially the kitty video. Do I need to send footage of like half the side mission in the series?
So you left the 3 other videos I posted and concentrated on the one video which was obviously a joke? The emoji wasn't obvious enough?

And what does him bulking up have to do with it? You can be bulk and soft. His character simply doesn't look neither feel Kazuma Kiryu. He just doesn't look the part. His face doesn't look the part. His voice doesn't sound the part. Any idiot can bulk up. Doesn't make them become Kazuma. That was the point of the other 3 videos.

Edit: added face and voice to make it more obvious.

Last edited:
So you left the 3 other videos I posted and concentrated on the one video which was obviously a joke? The emoji wasn't obvious enough?

And what does him bulking up have to do with it? You can be bulk and soft. His character simply doesn't look neither feel Kazuma Kiryu. He just doesn't look the part. His face doesn't look the part. His voice doesn't sound the part. Any idiot can bulk up. Doesn't make them become Kazuma. That was the point of the other 3 videos.

Edit: added face and voice to make it more obvious.
I mean I mentioned more than the kitty video. I said they're all irrelevant and aren't accurate to what he's put into the show. Actors can have range and are allowed to play more characters than what they have in the past. I just think it doesn't make sense and isn't fair to say he doesn't look or "feel" like Kiryu when all we have officially is 2 PNGs of his back tattoo and a picture of him working out.

But if you wanna judge a book by its cover go ahead. Not sure how you can play this series and completely miss the countless times the series tackles that as a theme but whatever.

Quoted by: TLZ
I mean I mentioned more than the kitty video. I said they're all irrelevant and aren't accurate to what he's put into the show. Actors can have range and are allowed to play more characters than what they have in the past. I just think it doesn't make sense and isn't fair to say he doesn't look or "feel" like Kiryu when all we have officially is 2 PNGs of his back tattoo and a picture of him working out.

But if you wanna judge a book by its cover go ahead. Not sure how you can play this series and completely miss the countless times the series tackles that as a theme but whatever.
He can play whatever he wants, but I don't see him as a good candidate. I said a couple times neither his looks nor his voice look the part. I showed 3 videos to support my point. Videos, not still pictures, so you can see him in action. And you just went and showed me a static image of his body. What am I supposed to do with it? I'll get buff and play him then 🤣

I guess I'll have to repeat myself, but last time. I don't think his face works, nor does his voice. He simply doesn't look the part. If it's just a fit body and acting, anyone can do it. I understand it would be difficult to find someone who has both his looks and voice, plus the character, but to not have any is too much.

Anyway, I said my piece. And I don't want to keep dragging this, so I'm out.

I saw this on Twitter and since it was arriving so soon I assumed it had been announced long ago without me noticing. But I guess not.

Actors are supposed to have range. Japanese actors especially have a lot of range when it comes to their voices, given the nature of your regular japanese TV dramas and animes, being over the top on purpose in their acting. I'm sure he can pull it off.

How he looks is another debate though, which is definitely a more fair discussion to have until we hear him as Kiryu.

i guess this also means that random Rent-A-Hero adaption that was revealed several years ago will finally resurface some day.
if anything, getting a Kamen Rider actor for that project is far more appropriate. considering it's directly influenced by tokusatsu,

there's even a vocal version of the theme by Daytona USA composer Takenobu Mitsuyoshi

Back
Top Bottom