• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Let's talk about Catroots, that crazy N64 Tom & Jerry-like game from Marigul and Nintendo that was only seen once

Hero of Legend

Like Like
Pronouns
He/Him
Very recently I got ahold of the sole trailer of the game from E3 2000 that was on IGN but is long gone. This is the original fairly good quality .mov 320x240 file, so definitely better than crusty YouTube uploads:

Here.

Click "Quicktime" to download the .mov file, or here.

This is so crazy and looks FUN. Granted we never even found out how it even played, but whatever this was, I want it. It's what I adored about Marigul so much; they gave a home for experimental Japanese games under Nintendo. You know a number of them, including Ambrella's Hey You, Pikachu!, Noise's Custom Robo, Saru Brunei's Cubivore, and Param's Doshin the Giant. There was Echo Delta by Clever Trick, but the game was canned and the team seemingly shutdown with it.

I myself was heavy into Marigul back in 2007, as I was the one who created a number of Wikipedia articles, and even re-created Ambrella's logo from scratch as the only source was IGN's grab of Pokémon Dash's intro that showed it. Fun fact; my website, Marigold, is, you guessed it, named after them!

I just think they're neat.jpg.

But back to Catroots. It's a shame this just disappeared. Even Nintendo of America had no clue about it when IGN asked back then. We don't even know which team with Marigul was behind it (I feel Noise is a candidate but maybe not).

What do you think of this game? Do you want to see it somehow be revived for Switch? 'Cause I do!

I remember watching the trailer a while back. It's pretty hard to imagine what it was supposed to be. It seemed like a proof of concept that never got off the ground... and because of that it's hard for me to say that I'd want it revived. I don't think there was anything to it in the first place.

If I had to see a cancelled N64 project come back, I'd rather see 64 Wars. That even had a release date, on-top of a trailer that showed actual gameplay. Might have even been finished, but canned due to a lack of interest in the Wars series. Who knows!

I remember watching the trailer a while back. It's pretty hard to imagine what it was supposed to be. It seemed like a proof of concept that never got off the ground... and because of that it's hard for me to say that I'd want it revived. I don't think there was anything to it in the first place.

If I had to see a cancelled N64 project come back, I'd rather see 64 Wars. That even had a release date, on-top of a trailer that showed actual gameplay. Might have even been finished, but canned due to a lack of interest in the Wars series. Who knows!
We sure it didn't get Mother 3'd and simply was remade into Advance Wars or something?

Youtube embed.

Game looks like a tech demo or just something made as a pitch. I doubt there was ever any actual game behind it.
If it was actually a game it looks like it would just be scripted escape scenes trying to get away from the mouse. Probably not something with lasting appeal.

I doubt there was much to the game either, but I definitely would have liked to see where it would have gone. I would love to see how far they got and some sort of resurrection of this as well as Echo Delta.

Back
Top Bottom