• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society coming west for Playstation, Switch and PC on February 14th (out now!)

No Vita version for the West???

awkward-shocked.gif

Oh nice, I've heard really good things about this. Definitely moves the first game up my priority list to play by the end of the year. I played a bit earlier in the year and liked what I played.

Finally was waiting for this. I know there is the pandemic and all, but I still find weird the decision of launching the game for just one platform in mind and port it years later (the first one took also two years, and with no pandemic)

Good lord finally! I was starting to think they just forgot this game after it released in Japan. I loved Coven of Dusk so I'm excited to jump back in.

I loved the first one too. It's a great game.
I have been hyped for this since I've read people here saying it's very good.

I enjoyed Refrain a lot and I'm definitely looking forward to playing through this one as well!

I cannot wait for this game. I only bought the first game because it was a highly recommended jrpg, what I did not expect was a dungeon crawling masterpiece. I enjoyed every level, the soundtrack to me was outstanding, and what really surprised me was the voice acting in this game was unbelievable, and the story was really enjoyable to follow, and once I understood the battle system that was great too.

Early 2023 feels so far away now haha.

Sweeeeeet! I've been waiting ages for this, although 2023 is a bit disappointing, I thought they might get it out for this fall, oh well.

Has The Moon Society always been the subname? This is the first time I've heard that

I know the date leaked a while back, but I guess it was never updated on the thread. I am near endgame in Coven, but Splatoon, XC3 and Zero have gotten in the way lol.

I know the date leaked a while back, but I guess it was never updated on the thread. I am near endgame in Coven, but Splatoon, XC3 and Zero have gotten in the way lol.
I didn't actually know it leaked, although the release date is pretty much spot on what I expected given their "early 2023" window. I just hope it won't get buried in that spot, although it's a more niche game anyway and a lot of the people who really want it already know, I guess.

I didn't actually know it leaked, although the release date is pretty much spot on what I expected given their "early 2023" window. I just hope it won't get buried in that spot, although it's a more niche game anyway and a lot of the people who really want it already know, I guess.
It will probably get buried. Based on early dates. Octopath 2 and Atelier Ryza 3 are on the 14, Not Monster Hunter is on 17, Howarts is on the 10th. And, this is a guess, but I think Azure might be February or early March. But yeah I hope it people pick it up, its a charming series I hope NIS continues.

Started playing Labyrinth of Refrain the other day. This is pretty addictive, and I’ve heard Galleria is leagues better.

That's certainly a dungeon crawler alright! Early '23 is going to be busy, thankfully the Switch is portable otherwise there would be no way I'd finish any of these games.

Started playing Labyrinth of Refrain the other day. This is pretty addictive, and I’ve heard Galleria is leagues better.
I’ve heard so many good things, I’m really excited for it. Refrain was really good too, just had a few weird things here and there that brought it down. It also has bizarrely abrupt tonal shifts and goes super dark at times, which can be a bit jarring especially if you’re not expecting it.

Never heard of this before, looks like a fun dungeon crawler.
2023 is looking really good for DRPGs with this and Acquire's Labyrinth of Zangetsu (the ink painting DRPG).

I finally remembered to watch this trailer, and it's good! But also doesn't really tell you much of anything, especially if you've played the first game. I know this kind of game is hard to show off in a trailer, but it feels like they're purposely not showing much about this game other than that it's a dungeon crawler where you do dungeon-crawler-y stuff. Which is fine! Just an interesting way to market it.

I finally remembered to watch this trailer, and it's good! But also doesn't really tell you much of anything, especially if you've played the first game. I know this kind of game is hard to show off in a trailer, but it feels like they're purposely not showing much about this game other than that it's a dungeon crawler where you do dungeon-crawler-y stuff. Which is fine! Just an interesting way to market it.
From what I understand, there’s something big that they absolutely cannot show.

Anyway, I THINK I’m almost done with the Towers of Umbra in the first one.

I just got the true ending in Labyrinth of Refrain. That game was beautiful. Now I’m in the waiting room for this one.

Labyrinth of Refrain was a horror game to me, because of how realistic and bone-chilling the story was. A woman and a child face alone a supernatural and seemingly omnipotent threat that could tear them in pieces if they take one single wrong step.

It was hard to even progress in the game at some point.

Looks like a sweet limited edition... The cards and the play mat are intriguing for sure. Really nice set and spookily it is £66.66 before VAT in UK (£79.99 after). I bought Coven of Dusk for less than a tenner a while back but it's been on my backlog. A good reminder to give it a go soon!

Labyrinth of Refrain was a horror game to me, because of how realistic and bone-chilling the story was. A woman and a child face alone a supernatural and seemingly omnipotent threat that could tear them in pieces if they take one single wrong step.

It was hard to even progress in the game at some point.
The game definitely veers into horror at times, no doubt, in a lot of different ways. I kind of liked that about it.

I wonder how important the first game is for this

people really seem to like this one which has me interested but i'm not really very into dungeon crawlers in general so playing both of them is a bridge too far for me

I wonder how important the first game is for this

people really seem to like this one which has me interested but i'm not really very into dungeon crawlers in general so playing both of them is a bridge too far for me
From This Review it seems like it's not important at all:

"For players who didn’t play Labyrinth of Refrain, you absolutely don’t need to: this is a spiritual sequel and you can leave your inexperience at the door."

And for some hyping of this game (note I haven't played it myself yet):

"If that were all you really saw, Labyrinth of Galleria would be a decent if somewhat forgettable RPG, similar to Labyrinth of Refrain.... And yet there is something truly special that ratchets everything from “good” to “fantastic” in the blink of an eye."

from that review I just linked, and this entire review from RPGSite:

I Hate That I Can't Talk About Why I Love Labyrinth of Galleria

Just... hrgggggh. I have had this review and various hinting comments about twists/really cool things this game does but are spoiler-y living in my head for literally years, and I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about next week.

And for some hyping of this game (note I haven't played it myself yet):

"If that were all you really saw, Labyrinth of Galleria would be a decent if somewhat forgettable RPG, similar to Labyrinth of Refrain.... And yet there is something truly special that ratchets everything from “good” to “fantastic” in the blink of an eye."

from that review I just linked, and this entire review from RPGSite:

I Hate That I Can't Talk About Why I Love Labyrinth of Galleria

Just... hrgggggh. I have had this review and various hinting comments about twists/really cool things this game does but are spoiler-y living in my head for literally years, and I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about next week.

yeah it's stuff like that that catches my interest a bit even though I don't really care about the genre as a general rule(not that I hate it or anything but dungeon crawlers tend to not have a ton of dialogue and don't tend to really have towns or exploration outside of the dungeon stuff and those are the things I mostly play RPGs for)

good to know the stuff people keep alluding to doesn't also require the first one to be interesting

reviews

Oh a Saturday review embargo? That's different. Going through reviews sounds pretty good. But I was hoping for a revamp to the pact/donum but it seems to be similar. Transferring skills could be cool for late game and the liberation skill brings that EO Class special feel.

I heard from a friend that this is much longer than the first game (already very long) so we might see reviews coming through next week.

I heard from a friend that this is much longer than the first game (already very long) so we might see reviews coming through next week.
I’ve heard similar, and additionally that while the game is good out of the gate and gets you in the dungeon crawl loop quickly, apparently some of the things that really amp up the game don’t happen for quite a while, so it’s definitely a long haul.

If it’s like Refrain though, I found it to be a perfect Switch game since it’s so easy to just do a dungeon dive or two, make some incremental progress, and then put the game down for a bit. Almost like doing a few runs of a rogue-lite, it has some similarities there.

I’ve heard similar, and additionally that while the game is good out of the gate and gets you in the dungeon crawl loop quickly, apparently some of the things that really amp up the game don’t happen for quite a while, so it’s definitely a long haul.

If it’s like Refrain though, I found it to be a perfect Switch game since it’s so easy to just do a dungeon dive or two, make some incremental progress, and then put the game down for a bit. Almost like doing a few runs of a rogue-lite, it has some similarities there.
This genre definitely suits portable play IMHO, but I enjoyed Refrain on my big screen as well with a good audio setup. I found the Switch version docked was lacking in that regard. Also did you enjoy Tenpei Sato's music in Refrain? I heard some clip from YouTube of Galleria, and it rules!

This genre definitely suits portable play IMHO, but I enjoyed Refrain on my big screen as well with a good audio setup. I found the Switch version docked was lacking in that regard. Also did you enjoy Tenpei Sato's music in Refrain? I heard some clip from YouTube of Galleria, and it rules!
I did! It’s a really unique style and definitely stands out. It’s been years since I played Refrain, so I don’t recall any individual tracks, I may have to do a soundtrack listen in prep for this game

Good luck to everyone that's going to try and complete this, I'm eager to see your reactions with certain story events

I forgot just how DENSE it is starting a game. Creating three units from scratch off the bat with tons and tons of options that I barely remember what they do or what’s good, skills that are kind of difficult to parse, lots of confusing menus… but that’s half the fun! It’ll make more sense and I’ll remember more as I get going I’m sure.

I have a weird question about this game; why does the UK version of this game have two different age ratings that varies from box to box?

Depending on which game case you have it'll either say:
Pegi 16
or
Pegi 18

Anyone know why this is? What's the difference between the two "versions"?

Back
Top Bottom