• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion La Palma Volcano thread

Gashead

Bob-omb
Banned
It's approaching 1 month of it being active but no one is really talking about it.

This is a live stream where the side is about to melt which it did spectacularly last night (I'd post a webm but I don't know how)

This is the sea view, it reached the sea further south but might soon do it there as well. That stream goes off line in about 4 or 5 hours.

This is a different angle, it's zoomed in at the moment but the cameras can and do pull back or zoom in for differing views.

Earthquakes are hourly but none are higher than 4.5 so the Tsunami threat isn't likely.

Adding in a fly over of the extent of the lava on the 18th. Looks really close to the sea in a couple of places

Last edited:
This is both frightening and spectacular...

Seeing lava coming slowly towards your house is sa vision of horror.

My toughts are with the people living there...

Seeing lava coming slowly towards your house is sa vision of horror.

My toughts are with the people living there...
One of the streams used to have a tracker on the bottom showing that over 1000 buildings and 20+km of roads had been destroyed. A lot of the buildings were agricultural poly tunnel type things but sadly it also included more substantial buildings like peoples homes and warehouses.

It's been on going since the 19th of September so in some places it's not so much that a house got burned it's more there is now a hill where the house once was. I don't think there have been any injuries, it started slowly so the resident's were all able to evacuate, but their belongings probably weren't.

One of the streams used to have a tracker on the bottom showing that over 1000 buildings and 20+km of roads had been destroyed. A lot of the buildings were agricultural poly tunnel type things but sadly it also included more substantial buildings like peoples homes and warehouses.

It's been on going since the 19th of September so in some places it's not so much that a house got burned it's more there is now a hill where the house once was. I don't think there have been any injuries, it started slowly so the resident's were all able to evacuate, but their belongings probably weren't.
Yeah I know, I've been watching it since the very beginning.
It reminds us how insignificant we are...

as a Spaniard, I've been following this up closely. Tragic for the locals and a reminder of the power of nature.

Wow I didn't know this same volcano was still going! How common is it for eruptions to go on this long?

Wow I didn't know this same volcano was still going! How common is it for eruptions to go on this long?
This particular island had eruptions in 1949 and 1971, the 71 eruption also lasted roughly a month, so this one might end soon but it keeps changing. Last night rather than the current/usual red or orange viscous lava, it was white hot and runny. It could be seen dripping like water from higher elevations rather than oozing downwards.

Tenerife here. My house is 138km from La Palma’s vulcano (and less than 30 from El Teide lol), swimming pool’s water is near black.
Anyway, got these incredible La Palma pictures I wanted to share from El Pais.

uDkoYAM.jpg

2gM0zKU.jpg

9prFXry.jpg

sgldrZS.jpg

AOLfX2m.jpg

5UoLU3v.jpg
d5PTfR8.jpg

HvmRkBI.jpg

FBpOIHB.jpg
4sjyjUC.jpg
5OvbCrq.jpg

Some of those pics are crazy and really sell the scale of it all.

Must be tricky for the authorities because you can't plan or rebuild until you know when it's ended.

Edit, as I said that I checked the stream to see a new tree on fire so the lava obscured by the hill is clearly spreading

This angle clearly shows that another vent has opened up behind the existing volcano. Huge amounts of smoke are drifting into view. Not sure of any additional lava flows

I went to La Palma on holiday last year with a friend. We stayed in the village of Jedey, in a small cottage for 5 days.

I wonder if the village still exists... Just thinking about everything that's happening makes me feel pretty nervous. I hope everyone there is fine.

I went to La Palma on holiday last year with a friend. We stayed in the village of Jedey, in a small cottage for 5 days.

I wonder if the village still exists... Just thinking about everything that's happening makes me feel pretty nervous. I hope everyone there is fine.

Jedey is slightly further south, one of the two main roads to it is completely gone. The village itself is probably covered in ash but the Lava hasn't reached it.

Jedey is slightly further south, one of the two main roads to it is completely gone. The village itself is probably covered in ash but the Lava hasn't reached it.
If I'm not wrong, the main road took to El Paso where there are supermarkets, grocery stores and other stores that cover the basic needs of the people. Now that the main road is gone, I wonder how will they handle this in the next years. This is horrible.

If I'm not wrong, the main road took to El Paso where there are supermarkets, grocery stores and other stores that cover the basic needs of the people. Now that the main road is gone, I wonder how will they handle this in the next years. This is horrible.
By looking at the maps there is still the road going south and around the mountains but it would add time and hassle to have to go around each time.

The flow goes west all the way to the sea so it's not just the main road but all roads in the area that will need to be repaired or remade. The bigger issue is that it's still on going, the latest lava flow effectively doubled the amount of that main road that now needs to be replaced once it's over.

Back
Top Bottom