• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion [Kotaku] Metroid Dread Is Already Running Great On Switch Emulators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo: Here is your first new 2D Metroid game in nearly 20 years.

Kotaku: Metroid Dread released two days ago! Here’s how you can (totally not pirate it and) play it in your PC and it’s gorgeous!!

No opinion on the people who pirate games and emulate them but it's pretty much career suicide to publish such an article. What does Kotaku think it's doing? Finding the best way to cut their advertisers? To get blacklisted by Nintendo?

You can still buy the game and play it on pc. Emulation does not equal piracy
You’re right. Emulation doesn’t always equal piracy. But when we are talking about a big outlet promoting emulating a game that’s only two days old? Yeah, not sure if this is the type of discussion around emulation this forum needs.

Nobody does this,just look how many streams days before the game was even released of the hundreds of youtube videos with link to piracy site
If someone wants to rip their switch games and put them on pc so they can run better, I think the option is cool. Kotaku ain't putting any links to pirated copies so I dont see the problem. If people wanted to pirate the game they would have done so with or without this article.

You can still buy the game and play it on pc. Emulation does not equal piracy
If someone wants to rip their switch games and put them on pc so they can run better, I think the option is cool. Kotaku ain't putting any links to pirated copies so I dont see the problem. If people wanted to pirate the game they would have done so with or without this article.

This is the final paragraph to the article:

If you want to play the rest of the Metroid franchise and don’t want to shell out large amounts of money on old consoles and games, your best bet is also emulation. As is often the case
, Nintendo (like most game publishers) is really bad about maintaining access to their past games outside of the few big sellers. Thank God for pirates, emulators, modders, and hackers.

Yes, this article doesn’t specifically call for pirating Metroid Dread, but it ends with legitimizing pirating games in general.

promoting emulation for a game on release day is pretty close to emulating piracy, since anyone who googles how to do it will be greeted with many guides on how to pirate the game before they emulate it. doesn't really matter tho, since the switch emulation scene is pretty insignificant and tiny.

Thank God for pirates
😶

Last edited:
As someone who is all about game preservation and about how good emulators can be, I think this article is pretty fucking shameless.

The process of dumping your own cartridges is still pretty restrictive on the Switch, it's obvious that the percentage of people doing it in a legit manner is going to be incredibly low.

Thank God for pirates
C'mon Kotaku.

It like the gun debate,they can only pirate games because of the money people donate to emulator devs,for 1% that purchase games 99% got to pirate things.

promoting emulation for a game on release day is pretty close to emulating piracy, since anyone who googles how to do it will be greeted with many guides on how to pirate the game before they emulate it. doesn't really matter tho, since the switch emulation scene is pretty insignificant and tiny.

Nah,it already got out of hand

This is the final paragraph to the article:

If you want to play the rest of the Metroid franchise and don’t want to shell out large amounts of money on old consoles and games, your best bet is also emulation. As is often the case, Nintendo (like most game publishers) is really bad about maintaining access to their past games outside of the few big sellers. Thank God for pirates, emulators, modders, and hackers.
Preservation of a two days old game,funny

The sad thing is that we always have to be mindful not to equate emulation with piracy so as not to insult those who emulate without resorting to piracy, when we all know that the truth is that those only emulating are the minority by far. No, emulation does not equate piracy, but, and it's a huge but.

Staff Communication
Thread locked as article encourages piracy, which is against board policy. Discussing emulation on the board is fine but this one is pretty obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom