• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Kirby Turned 30! Community Game Event - May 2022 (Badges + Raffle Inside!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit the Part Time UFO challenge is tough. Had to take a break or was going drive myself crazy trying to just get the first medal (not even the two star part).

Nice thread!

For A New World: Conquered @Chaotic Neutral
GwYgSgL.jpg
  • Your first Kirby game?

The first one I played was Kirby's Dream Land, I played a friend's copy in elementary school. The first one I completed was Kirby's Adventure, which was a rental from Blockbuster.

• Your fave Kirby game(s)?

Canvas Curse, Kirby's Adventure, and Planet Robobot are probably my top 3 in no particular order, though I really enjoyed Forgotten Land too. I love the creativity in Canvas Curse especially, and I'm still bitter I never got the last medal in Paint Panic. Kirby's Adventure is one of my favorite NES games, and still holds up pretty well. Robobot is just awesome all around.

• Your fave copy ability?

I really like Beetle, Leaf, ESP, Staff, and most recently I liked the Ranger in Forgotten Land. UFO and wheel are always fun too.

• Your fave copy ability in Smash Bros?

I like Shulk's since it gives Kirby the Monado. I also like DK, Captain Falcon, and Duck Hunt.

• Your dream for the next Kirby game?

I really want them to build on Forgotten Land. If that was their first attempt at 3D Kirby, I'm very excited to see their second.

I couldn't help myself, @Chaotic Neutral.

2022042623395900-0-E7-DF678130-F4-F0-FA2-C88-AE72-B47-AFDF.jpg

That's Can You Handle the Heat? done! And I can indeed handle the heat! I find Kirby's Classic Mode one of the easier ones to get 9.9 on. Didn't even need to use a ticket to keep the score when fighting Marx! Did fuck up the Bonus Game, though. This isn't even my highest Kirby score, though...

2022042623343800-0-E7-DF678130-F4-F0-FA2-C88-AE72-B47-AFDF.jpg

This is a great thread @totofogo. I am trying to get the Forgotten Land badge but that Ultimate Cup Z final boss is kicking my ass. Also still have to beat the final rolling ball minigame. Anyway, here are my answers to the questions.
  • Your first Kirby game?
Triple Deluxe on 3DS. I didn't really know who Kirby was before Smash 4 which introduced me to a lot of video game characters (before then I was really just interested in Mario) but Triple Deluxe was a great game to start on. I love the 2D-3D gimmick and it has memorable environments, music and bosses.
  • Your favorite Kirby game(s)?
Planet Robobot is still my favorite. It's everything I loved about Triple Deluxe but better, with the best gimmick in the series with Robobot Armor. The metallic/robot theme across all the levels and music gives the game its own identity. Honorable mention to Kirby's Adventure, which is my favorite NES game. Yes, I like it more than Super Mario Bros. 3. No offense intended for Mario though, that's also a masterpiece.
  • Your favorite copy ability?
The Archer from Triple Deluxe was super cool, it's a ranged powerup that also has a great block ability. For speeding through levels my favorite is Wing.
  • Your favorite copy ability in Smash Bros?
Ryu because it's funny to see Kirby say "Hadouken." But I don't play Kirby much in Smash.
  • Your dream for the next Kirby game?
For the mainline series I just want more of what HAL is already doing. The 3D transition is super exciting and a follow-up to Forgotten Land with even better level design/environments/gimmicks could eclipse Planet Robobot for my favorite in the series. I would like more improvement in the spinoff front, though. The recent download-only Kirby spinoffs don't interest me at all, and I really want HAL to branch out into more big budget side games. A Kirby RPG, a follow up to Air Ride, or even calling in Koei Tecmo to make Kirby Warriors would all be hype.

Here's my round up so far, I might do some others. I did like going back into Part Time UFO tho.

Kirby’s Part-Time Jobski (Part-Time UFO - Nintendo Switch)
A New World: Conquered (Kirby and the Forgotten Land - Nintendo Switch)
Can You Handle the Heat? (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Nintendo Switch)

@Chaotic Neutral

F24-ED238-9-A06-4102-8039-3-ECDB429-B757.jpg

Done with the part time UFO one. The one star level was much harder than the two star I think. Color change on the icon indicating they were all competed.

Edit: Always forget this part (and sorry for your notifications) @Chaotic Neutral

Last edited:
...huh, here's a fun fact I learned today. The reason the 3D Classics version of Kirby's Adventure heals you in the middle of the boss rush is because the Famicom original does it, too.

It's a classic case of the international version of a game being made more challenging, and a case of the 3D Classics version either un-localizing the change or forgetting to re-localize it. So, uh, for anyone who's doing the challenge, make sure not to play the Famicom version of Kirby's Adventure either, I suppose?

...huh, here's a fun fact I learned today. The reason the 3D Classics version of Kirby's Adventure heals you in the middle of the boss rush is because the Famicom original does it, too.

It's a classic case of the international version of a game being made more challenging, and a case of the 3D Classics version either un-localizing the change or forgetting to re-localize it. So, uh, for anyone who's doing the challenge, make sure not to play the Famicom version of Kirby's Adventure either, I suppose?

With this info, I think that version should be allowed if it was the original release. You can play that version on NSO if you wanted, so not sure excluding the 3D classics version should happen.

@Chaotic Neutral!!!
I think I'm doing this right:

Hello, Popopo! completed, food returned to Dream Land (via Superstar):
UIrVsoq_d.webp

Floating Below Par completed, gold on course 1:
ACuV2TR_d.webp

Guess which one of those two challenges took me the longest! 😅😅😅

If I did this wrong let me know and I will.. do it another way? I guess? I think through context clues in this thread I'm doing it right. Also Shout-out to @VolcanicDynamo for style points 🤘

@Chaotic Neutral!!!
I think I'm doing this right:

Hello, Popopo! completed, food returned to Dream Land (via Superstar):
UIrVsoq_d.webp

Floating Below Par completed, gold on course 1:
ACuV2TR_d.webp

Guess which one of those two challenges took me the longest! 😅😅😅

If I did this wrong let me know and I will.. do it another way? I guess? I think through context clues in this thread I'm doing it right. Also Shout-out to @VolcanicDynamo for style points 🤘
Jeez you got a legend to pose in your victory shots? How is anyone gonna compete with that!!

well done, poyo : )

With this info, I think that version should be allowed if it was the original release. You can play that version on NSO if you wanted, so not sure excluding the 3D classics version should happen.
Agreed and will update the challenge again accordingly, thanks for the info folks! Only the SP version is disallowed now.

@VolcanicDynamo I linked your post in the new challenge description, thanks!

I'll be saving the other two for May proper, but I couldn't help myself and did two more challenges today. @Chaotic Neutral

qVNTvP3.png
FWq4sJW.jpg

Thoughts on both:
1 - Was planning to take the screenshot on 3DS, but then I remembered that without Miiverse there's no way to upload screenshots from any game you want. Ended up playing it twice today just to take the above shot on my totally legit Microsoft Game Boy Color Deluxe.
2 - Y'all should be glad the challenge isn't getting a hole-in-one on every hole in Course 1; I did it myself for bragging rights but i'm sure it wouldn't be much fun for everyone else, lol.

Gonna take this opportunity to replay Dream Course, which I love and haven't played in like 20 years.

Snuck some time with Dream Land in bed last night but was so knocked out from the day that I passed out soon into it lol.

Looking forward to Dream Course next, which I only played a bit of back on Wii U VC. Then after a quick pop into LA on my completed profile it’ll be onto Tier 2 with The Great Cave Offensive which I haven’t played since the DS release back in 2008!

Snuck some time with Dream Land in bed last night but was so knocked out from the day that I passed out soon into it lol.

Looking forward to Dream Course next, which I only played a bit of back on Wii U VC. Then after a quick pop into LA on my completed profile it’ll be onto Tier 2 with The Great Cave Offensive which I haven’t played since the DS release back in 2008!

Dream Course is so good! Very unique game with great Kirby flavor.

EDIT: The theme of the first level is now stuck in my head after I typed this, along with the "duh duh duh duh duh duh duh" sound effect of Kirby inflating and deflating when you gauge the power of the shot

I'll be saving the other two for May proper, but I couldn't help myself and did two more challenges today. @Chaotic Neutral

qVNTvP3.png
FWq4sJW.jpg

Thoughts on both:
1 - Was planning to take the screenshot on 3DS, but then I remembered that without Miiverse there's no way to upload screenshots from any game you want. Ended up playing it twice today just to take the above shot on my totally legit Microsoft Game Boy Color Deluxe.
2 - Y'all should be glad the challenge isn't getting a hole-in-one on every hole in Course 1; I did it myself for bragging rights but i'm sure it wouldn't be much fun for everyone else, lol.
Dang, time to get brainstorming on Tier 4 ;)

Only half kidding– since we do have a whole month to go y'all can expect some additions to keep things interesting!

My workdays will be soundtracked to Kirby for the month to stay on theme. What is everyone's favorite Kirby track? (added to the Q+A too)

Definitely giving the NSO/SA ones a go. You should add a bonus challenge if we get Kirby 64 on NSO next month!

First Kirby game was probably mirror on GBA. Fave is probably Kirby 64. Just always had a good time with this charming series

Nice community event, kudos!

Might try to go for the Link's Awakening challenge. It is my favourite 2D Zelda and I would take any excuse to play it. Ultimately depends on how busy the month will end up being for me.

Otherwise, I might give the SSBU challenge a go, if only to fail miserably.

My workdays will be soundtracked to Kirby for the month to stay on theme. What is everyone's favorite Kirby track? (added to the Q+A too)

It's basic as hell but I love me some Green Greens. That song has been stuck in my soul for my whole life for some reason.

I'm seriously looking forward to participating in some of these challenges. Definitely digging out the OG Game Boy and my copy of the first game which was my intro to Kirby (thank you Nintendo Power for highlighting it). I think completing that and 100%ing Forgotten Land ought to be doable in May. If there's time I'll try the Great Cave Offensive trial although I may try to pick up where I left off in Dream Collection if that's allowed or just start over on NSO if I wasn't too far along to begin with.

I think my favorite game in the series is still Kirby's Adventure simply because it's nice and breezy and doesn't get too weighted down with some of the complexities that are introduced with Super Star like each power having multiple moves. There's really something to be said for the simplicity of just having A and B, plus it's a great showcase of what could be done with the NES at the end of its lifespan (which was 3+ years into the 16-bit generation!).

Is That Really You? (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Game Boy & Nintendo Switch)
Rumor has it that Kirby has been spotted attacking the inhabitants of Koholint Island; but could that really be true? Head to the Eagle's Tower dungeon and take down any pink puffball you find inside.
So how do we record this one? Just show you collected the instrument in Eagle's Tower?

How do we prove the vs boss challenge ? Do we have to record the whole thing ? As I remember, when you beat Nightmare in it, it just acts as if you completed the main game, with the same credits rolling and everything.

v1.0.2: Prize Info and Badges Live!
✰ Kirby Turned 30 Update 1.0.2 is now live! ✰
my version numbers will be as meaningless as Nintendo's

✧・゚: ✧・ Patch Notes ・゚✧:・゚✧
  • Badges are now live and being awarded for challenges, woo! Show them off!
  • Details on prizes has been added to the OP and below. Stay tuned for further details!
  • Event rules have changed regarding Tiers and Raffle Entries. You may now earn up to three (3) entries in the raffle total by completing challenges from each of the 3 tiers. This is up from the previous max of one (1).
  • Images in the OP were a bit oversized and have been adjusted.
  • Badges have modified to have have background colors representing their tier.
  • A new question has been added to the Q+A.
  • poyo

Prizes-Header.png

Prizes.png
There are two different prizes up for grabs! The actual prizes are still under wraps, but I'm happy to announce that there will be 3 Normal Prizes and 2 Super Prizes up for grabs. Stay tuned for more info!

At the conclusion of the event, a raffle will open. Based on your performance in the event, you will be given up to three (3) tickets to enter: one ticket per tier that you completed a challenge in. So, the only way to get 3 tickets is to complete challenges across all three of the tiers. Your additional entries will give you a greater chance of winning, but you can only win once. If you happen to win both prizes, you will be given a choice between the two options and your other "win" will be re-rolled to another participant.

The actual completion process is the same as usual. Per @Chaotic Neutral 's instructions last time around…

For the duration of the event, which is until May 31 midnight at GMT/UTC, you can complete the event challenges, related to the event's theme and laid out in this OP, to earn badges on the board, which you can then feature on your profile and posts. After successfully completing the challenge, post the proof of your accomplishment in this thread (video or image evidence) and indicate which challenge you went for, while @-ing @Chaotic Neutral in the post. Awarding the badges is a manual process, and they can only do the honours when at leisure and by the computer, so you might have to wait patiently for the badge to show up! Then, later on, successful badge-holders will be awarded the opportunity to enter a raffle for prizes, details TBD.

Last edited:
✰ Kirby Turned 30 Update 1.0.2 is now live! ✰
my version numbers will be as meaningless as Nintendo's

✧・゚: ✧・ Patch Notes ・゚✧:・゚✧
  • Badges are now live and being awarded for challenges, woo! Show them off!
  • Details on prizes has been added to the OP and below. Stay tuned for further details!
  • Event rules have changed regarding Tiers and Raffle Entries. You may now earn up to three (3) entries in the raffle total by completing challenges from each of the 3 tiers. This is up from the previous max of one (1).
  • Images in the OP were a bit oversized and have been adjusted.
  • Badges have modified to have have background colors representing their tier.
  • A new question has been added to the Q+A.
  • poyo
Nice! Will be updating my badges immediately.

Sorry for the delay on questions here folks - had the above update in my drafts :)

So how do we record this one? Just show you collected the instrument in Eagle's Tower?
Hmm with it being tier 1 we won't be too picky. I was thinking a screenshot of a room Kirby is in with him clearly defeated, or a small clip of the fight :)

How do we prove the vs boss challenge ? Do we have to record the whole thing ? As I remember, when you beat Nightmare in it, it just acts as if you completed the main game, with the same credits rolling and everything.
Great question! No need to record the whole thing. I'd say we're looking for evidence of you unlocking the mode, then a screenshot of the nightmare fight or credits. Honor system for the connection between the two.

SInce I've got to sport at least one badge heading into May, I completed a Tier 1 challenge myself last night!

IMG-7774.jpg
IMG-7773.jpg

Hello, Popopo! (Kirby's Dream Land - Game Boy & SNES / NSO) @Chaotic Neutral

Spring Breeze really is quite a Breeze! I plan to play the GB Version as well this weekend (aiming to try the DX hack per @ermitron2's example), but it was nice to revisit it here briefly to get in the Kirby mood after kicking off this thread!

Onto the "NEXT" challenge :)

Last edited:
Quick question, do we have to complete a tier 1 challenge in order to a attempt a tier 2 challenge, and a tier 2 challenge in order to attempt a tier 3 challenge, or are those just difficulty tiers?
Just difficulty tiers and a little flavor on the setup for now - no need to follow any specific order!
Thanks @EvilChameleon for asking this question initially! Tiers now have a bit more purpose thanks to you :)

Your point score at the end of a Vs. Boss! run is going to be different from any score you would reasonably obtain in the main game; so that’s one way to somewhat tell.

Great question! No need to record the whole thing. I'd say we're looking for evidence of you unlocking the mode, then a screenshot of the nightmare fight or credits. Honor system for the connection between the two.
Ok thanks !
Your point score at the end of a Vs. Boss! run is going to be different from any score you would reasonably obtain in the main game; so that’s one way to somewhat tell.
Ah you're right, good point ! Didn't think about that.

Not to clutter up the thread too much, but I've been buying GB games on 3DS and trying to finish up that process before the store closes next year. I bought Kirby's Block Ball a couple of days ago and have been playing through it.

I've never played it before, so this is maybe top on my list of GotY games from years that are not 2022, but that I only just played this year. It takes the typical Breakout formula and immediately starts playing with it in interesting ways. Every screen adds some new mechanic or idea, but it's not overwhelming. It's just endlessly creative. I'm a sucker for Breakout already, so a game like this that iterates on the core gameplay in so many interesting ways is definitely up my alley.

The boss fights are particularly creative.

So yeah, this is definitely the Year of Kirby for me; it's the latest in any year that Kirby games are at the top of my list for both 2022 GotY and Game From Not-2022 That I First Played In 2022 GotY.

Not to clutter up the thread too much, but I've been buying GB games on 3DS and trying to finish up that process before the store closes next year. I bought Kirby's Block Ball a couple of days ago and have been playing through it.

I've never played it before, so this is maybe top on my list of GotY games from years that are not 2022, but that I only just played this year. It takes the typical Breakout formula and immediately starts playing with it in interesting ways. Every screen adds some new mechanic or idea, but it's not overwhelming. It's just endlessly creative. I'm a sucker for Breakout already, so a game like this that iterates on the core gameplay in so many interesting ways is definitely up my alley.

The boss fights are particularly creative.

So yeah, this is definitely the Year of Kirby for me; it's the latest in any year that Kirby games are at the top of my list for both 2022 GotY and Game From Not-2022 That I First Played In 2022 GotY.
Not a clutter at all, all Kirby discussion is welcome! That’s why we request you tag for badges so they aren’t missed.

I reviewed a number of top Kirby game lists when making this thread and that stuck out to me as one I wished I could have made a badge for if I wasn’t trying to keep it Switch accessible. It looked like a much better use of the IP than pinball!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom