• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Kirby Turned 30! Community Game Event - May 2022 (Badges + Raffle Inside!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Chaotic Neutral

FTI64pwaMAAZk9a.jpg:orig

Finished 100%-ing the new Kirby this morning with my sister for her birthday! We had a blast, and as we were finishing getting all the capsule figurines from the gotcha machines, she said, and I quote, "oh no, we gave Kirby a gambling problem :("

The 100% was really fun, but wow some of the endgame challenges were pretty tough. The final coliseum cup especially.

A tier 3 challenge would be a nice opportunity for those of us who don't own Forgotten Land yet and aren't good enough in Smash :<
Hmm seems 100% completion in this only takes 7 hours, so that feels more Tier 2... but I agree we already have 4 badges there and could use another in tier 3. Hmm.

Hmm seems 100% completion in this only takes 7 hours, so that feels more Tier 2... but I agree we already have 4 badges there and could use another in tier 3. Hmm.
To be fair, the conditions for getting that complete can be obtuse and tricky sometimes since this one is more puzzle based

Given we've only 11 days to complete it, that's plenty long enough IMO, in the interests of keeping it reasonably accessible.

I just did one challenge of every tier, will post the proof later. Are raw Switch screenshots enough?
Yeah! It helps to put your account name using the consoles text feature if possible too

Thanks! The Part-Time UFO challenge was the hardest by far. I hope I've done this correctly, first time using the spoiler tag and posting pictures on here.

Challenges:
Hello, Popopo!
Kirby’s Part-Time Jobski
Can You Handle the Heat?

Also hope I did the challenges correctly lol Please tell me if there's something wrong
@Chaotic Neutral

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Turns out the water levels are currently no hit or you get locked out of collision and have to exit the level so I’d say the switch version is definitely a challenge thanks to that bug

...maybe it's good that, should we do Kirby 64, I'll be playing it through the Dream Collection. Big Oof to NSO N64 once again.

Also that’s pop star down in Kirby 64, turns out the Snes controller works for it just fine! Time for a break tho

v1.0.4 K64 Challenge Added!

✰ Kirby Turned 30 Update 1.0.4 is now live! ✰

✧・゚: ✧・ Patch Notes ・゚✧:・゚✧

·
A surprise fourth tier 3 badge has been added to celebrate the release of Kirby on NSO! See details below or in OP. Thanks to @Mandos for the name idea!

The Challenge Colosseum

Drifting-Full.png

• Drifting Away (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - N64 (NSO)
    Speed run time! Kirby 64 just dropped on NSO and we're celebrating with an additional challenge at the 11th hour. Get 100% and the true ending to claim this final badge. Unfortunately, it looks like there may be some... unique challenges ahead of you in this run if you're playing on NSO. What's a Switch port without a little extra drift?

Hello, Popopo!

I know that I have the original Game Boy cartridge, and I went looking for it this evening, but I couldn’t find it. I have fond memories of playing it way back on my Game Boy Color. It’s a shame I couldn’t find it, but playing the version in Super Star was a lot of fun! The copy abilities make the game way easier (and I don’t remember it being very hard to begin with), but they are so much fun to play with. The game is so colorful and so fun! I’m really glad I played it tonight.

@Chaotic Neutral

Diving into 64 for the first time, dang should have included getting all the info cards in the challenge. A more infuriating version of the FL capsules!

@Chaotic Neutral for Drifting Away

MVUhO05.jpg

I thankfully did not encounter the water glitch on the levels prior to the orca boss, though I did have to redo that one once. Overall, I really enjoyed replaying this after so many years. It's a bit simple, but still fun.

I'm having a lot of fun with 64 playing it for the first time. It's simple, but somehow enticing, and I can only.think this is that hidden great design factor that we don't realize it's there, but it is. My only complaint is that it's a bit clunky to combine powers, there should have been a dedicated button for that.

I'm having a lot of fun with 64 playing it for the first time. It's simple, but somehow enticing, and I can only.think this is that hidden great design factor that we don't realize it's there, but it is. My only complaint is that it's a bit clunky to combine powers, there should have been a dedicated button for that.
You can pull out the power after absorbing it tho?

Quoted by: Leo
You can pull out the power after absorbing it tho?

Unless there's some other way, I'm absorbing the first power, spitting it at the second monsters and absorbing the combined power. I think that could have been streamlined, because several times I've lost the first power trying to hit the monster with it and had to backtrack to get it back and it's kinda frustrating. I think ideally, there should be a dedicated absorbing button that worked even if you already have a power.

@Chaotic Neutral

This past weekend, I had a great time enjoying Kirby on NSO!

...what's a Kirby 64?

First things first, here's World-Class Treasure Hunter!

2022052313173400-05-DC14-F80-A13996-B94160-CD375-AFD506.jpg

2022052313181800-05-DC14-F80-A13996-B94160-CD375-AFD506.jpg

At this point, I've played Great Cave Offensive enough that I can go through this without a guide. It's a fun hourish adventure, one of the meatier portions of Super Star.

And here's Floating Below Par!

2022052313193100-05-DC14-F80-A13996-B94160-CD375-AFD506.jpg

This is the first time I've meaningfully engaged with the mechanics of Kirby's Dream Course. I am bad at Kirby's Dream Course. I don't think I could have done this on original hardware without lots of practice, if you catch my drift.

I'm gonna try and start Kirby 64 on Dream Collection tonight. I effectively have three days to finish it, since I won't be around my Wii U for long. Can I do it? Maybe. Kirby 64 is my Kirby blind spot, the one Kirby game that everyone around my age seems to adore but that I barely played. Actually, the last time I tried to play it, I kinda just got bored and gave up. Maybe it was burnout after Dream Land 3. But it's time for the game to get it's fair shake.

GCO is “hourish”? What sort of Kirby god are you? I spent at least an hour this weekend trying to track down treasures in the tower stage! 😂
To be fair, this is like...the fifth time I've played GCO. My first time...and my second time...and my third and forth...those were not an hour, lol. Knowing the treasure locations makes the game go a lot faster.

@Chaotic Neutral Here is the evidence for Drifting Away. I was unfortunate enough to encounter the bug once during the level before Acro, and then many, many times during Acro. At least, in the boss fight especially, it's easy to pause and leave the level with no ill effects. I've had this games many times before on Virtual Console and the anniversary collection, but don't think I've beaten it since the 'ole video rental days. I actually really enjoy the final world and how it is excessively fun and cute looking, even above popstar. There's lots of fun ideas in this game. It's always fun to combine or alter powers in some way, and I hope they give that idea another try in a future game, either through buddies or the type of system seen here. Overall, a fun entry, if a little on the short side by modern standards. The kind of thing that makes it perfect for a service like NSO.

I just played some Dream Land 3 and finally looked up how the game works. I didn't know how to interact with the Animal Friends, turns out I never tried pressing X lol. This game is super fun now given the different abilities combining with the animals. Very cute and fun.
Also looked up the heart stuff since I only got one, on the last level of world 1. So now I know a little melody plays when I'm in the right area and the levels' picture gives me a hint. Trying to figure out what to do is cool, I really like this game now, I never hear about it really. Look forward to playing from World 2 onwards.

I just played some Dream Land 3 and finally looked up how the game works. I didn't know how to interact with the Animal Friends, turns out I never tried pressing X lol. This game is super fun now given the different abilities combining with the animals. Very cute and fun.
Also looked up the heart stuff since I only got one, on the last level of world 1. So now I know a little melody plays when I'm in the right area and the levels' picture gives me a hint. Trying to figure out what to do is cool, I really like this game now, I never hear about it really. Look forward to playing from World 2 onwards.
I'm glad you're enjoying it! It's a truly under-appreciated gem. The art style is timeless and adorable, too.

Submitting for Is That Really You? (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Game Boy & Nintendo Switch)

I had to figure out how to get back there, then I forgot how to actually kill the poyo, but we got there in the end.

Ignore the unopened chest lol.

EDIT: Forgot to @Chaotic Neutral, time to find out if it works in edits lol.

Last edited:
Once again apologies for the belated awards from the sleepless father on paternity leave. All badges (including Drifting Away) should've been awarded. As usual, hit me up if I missed a claim somewhere!

Also, we now have 69 tickets in the prize raffle with five days to go! 👀
If you haven't gotten a badge in a tier (or at all), now's the time to get on it. ⏳
Good luck! 🤞

Once again apologies for the belated awards from the sleepless father on paternity leave. All badges (including Drifting Away) should've been awarded. As usual, hit me up if I missed a claim somewhere!

Also, we now have 69 tickets in the prize raffle with five days to go! 👀
If you haven't gotten a badge in a tier (or at all), now's the time to get on it. ⏳
Good luck! 🤞
nice

@Chaotic Neutral Drifting Away done:

20220527-200805.jpg

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the game. It feels Kirby, but it's also very unique, which was refreshing as I been feeling like Kirby games have been too samey for a while now. It was nice to have an incentive to 100% the game, and I really enjoyed it!

@Chaotic Neutral

Hello, Popopo!
X3Q0Ojv.jpg

World-Famous Treasure Hunter
WlQINfT.jpg

Be My Guest!
TdNMs6r.jpg

Also, because I never answered any of those questions:
  • Your first Kirby game? - Kirby's Dream Land! Started with the original, but somehow didn't play any of the others until the early 2010s.
  • Your fave Kirby game(s)? - Haven't played Forgotten Land yet, but Planet Robobot is easily my favorite of the ones I've played. Triple Deluxe or Super Star Ultra would be 2nd.
  • Your fave soundtrack / song? - Definitely can't narrow it down to one favorite song, but Planet Robobot has my favorite soundtrack.
  • Your fave copy ability? - This is a tough one, but I think I'd have to pick ESP with Mirror as a close second.
  • Your fave copy ability in Smash Bros? - Have to go off of design since I don't use Kirby in Smash much, so I'd say either Ice Climbers or Cloud.
  • Your dream for the next Kirby game? - I don't have any specific hopes for the next game, I just want 2D, 3D, and the more experimental games to coexist.

@Chaotic Neutral World-Famous Treasure Hunter

Dug out the old 20th anniversary disc and confirmed that I was still missing about 13 treasures from my playthrough KSS back when it launched so I hope that's ok. Was a little frustrating going back to KSS after Adventure which I still maintain has tighter game play since it's not based around making a hybrid brawler-platformer so everything in KSS just feels slow and floaty to me. Plus the AI helper can be a bit of a pain. But after an hour or two of acclimating to it things got a lot better for me.

GKWlynh.jpg

90WMvx8.jpg

Os3Oy4f.jpg

j9q91MM.jpg

I don't see myself picking up any more badges for this event. Big thank you to @totofogo for organizing it. It was a lot of fun to pull out some old hardware and games out of the boxes they were stashed away in and really hit home that I need to pull these out more often or at least make them easier to access. This was my first event I've participated in and I had a blast, and I look forward to the next one.

Pulling out the 20th Anniversary disc confirmed for me something I'd suspected about where I was with gaming back in the 2010's. And that was I was just ripping through games as fast as possible and really not remembering anything or fully enjoying it because the focus was on beating things and moving onto the next game. And sitting down the the 20th Anniversary box and reading through the little book and just recognizing how little of this package I sat down and enjoyed then made me a bit glum. Especially because I know I didn't get through Dream Land 3 and didn't touch 64 while also having KSS not 100% complete, and I never touched any of the challenge levels based on Return to Dream Land.

This isn't to say that completionism is the right way to play games, but I think this confirms for me that I'm approaching games a lot healthier now in the last 2-3 years where I'm more willing to sit down with a single game, really sink into it like a warm bath, and not just rush through so I can move onto the next one. I've found I'm a lot more patient when games punch back and don't get nearly as frustrated because I'm not trying to burn through everything as fast as I can and how dare this game not get out of my way. Plus making peace with the fact that even though I've been playing games for nearly 35 years there's just things you have to build up and can't rush like understanding mechanics, learning patterns, etc.

Anyways, thank you to anyone who read this rambling. Games are fun and not just a box to check off. Don't rush them and learn to take things slow and at the game's pace. You'll be much happier with the hobby.

@Chaotic Neutral

Rough month personally, so I didn't get around to doing almost any of these... but I did just spend the weekend 100%ing Kirby 64 and I do not regret it!

Lovely little game. The power combining concept really needs to make a return.

https://i.imgur.com/Pmi4pth.jpg

Good timing for a Kirby retrospective from one of my favorites as I round out Kirby 64 tonight!

@totofogo thanks for this great challenge. Was a lot of fun and encouraged me to go back to some games I haven’t played in a while and to try out some new things (and to finally beat a 9.9 difficult smash classic mode). Thanks to @Chaotic Neutral for awarding what I assume was a lot of badges.

Here’s to whoever thinks of the next community challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom