• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kirby and the Forgotten Land |ST| Hero in Another Dimension

Favorite Kirby game from the 2010s?

• Kirby's Epic Yarn

Votes: 35 21.1%
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Kirby Mass Attack

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • Kirby Star Allies

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Drill Kirby is fantastic for no-damage runs for most bosses in my experience.
Yea I just used it to good effect on DeDeDe after needing a break from the bridge so I might have to try it again on that fight. I’ve been relying on Ranger up to this point for the no-damage challenges, but there’s not a lot of room to snipe from with the Frosties ☹️

Revisiting this for 100% is unfortunately making me like it a bit less. The slower movement and simplified movesets didn't bother me at all in the original pass-through when levels and worlds were novel, but now they are. Perhaps it's because I've fully upgraded all my attacks and in many cases am breezing through the levels for a single challenge.

I'm remedying this by saving the post-game content per world for after I go back to challenges, which has the nice bonus of re-familiarizing myself with level layouts to remember the nooks and crannies. Hopefully as the difficulty curve goes back up in later worlds and such it leaves me in a better place, but right now I'm definitely tarnishing my opinion of it a bit.

Trying to beat Sillydillo without getting hit is pain. Next time someone says to try a Souls-like I’m just going to tell them to get back to me when they’ve 100%ed this game.

I like that if you're really stuck on those "don't get hit" challenges, you can just keep playing through the game as normal and come back later with, um, stronger weapons, let's put it that way, that will help you get the job done.

I do think that the side-dodge in this game is quite generous re: timing window, so that hopefully makes things easier for those of you trying to finish up those challenges.

Revisiting this for 100% is unfortunately making me like it a bit less. The slower movement and simplified movesets didn't bother me at all in the original pass-through when levels and worlds were novel, but now they are. Perhaps it's because I've fully upgraded all my attacks and in many cases am breezing through the levels for a single challenge.

I'm remedying this by saving the post-game content per world for after I go back to challenges, which has the nice bonus of re-familiarizing myself with level layouts to remember the nooks and crannies. Hopefully as the difficulty curve goes back up in later worlds and such it leaves me in a better place, but right now I'm definitely tarnishing my opinion of it a bit.
Honestly, I find that I enjoy a lot of Nintendo games more if I'm not going for 100%. Even brilliant games like Odyssey/3D World or the DK games are a lot less enjoyable to me if I worry about getting 100%. Kirby is no exception - I got something like 15/20 wonderful hours and then called it quits for now.

Honestly, I find that I enjoy a lot of Nintendo games more if I'm not going for 100%. Even brilliant games like Odyssey/3D World or the DK games are a lot less enjoyable to me if I worry about getting 100%. Kirby is no exception - I got something like 15/20 wonderful hours and then called it quits for now.
Yeah the Kirby Event badge (my own doing) is what pushed me to completion but usually I wait a while to revisit games for that.

Similarly a friend who is a massive pokemon fan who has poured hours into Arceus is trying to get me to return to that and honestly I'm chill with my basic playthrough

I like that if you're really stuck on those "don't get hit" challenges, you can just keep playing through the game as normal and come back later with, um, stronger weapons, let's put it that way, that will help you get the job done.
Yea, what’s killing me right now is that I got hit once at the end. I might give it a few more tries or dump money into the buffs or just come back after investing money into the power ups on each power. I’ve already unlocked all the variations I can at this point.

Yea, what’s killing me right now is that I got hit once at the end. I might give it a few more tries or dump money into the buffs or just come back after investing money into the power ups on each power. I’ve already unlocked all the variations I can at this point.
Two pieces of advice, since you have all the powers:
  • I find that Space Ranger is super good for the fight. A fully charged shot can be done from far away and deals a lot of damage.
  • The game does not penalize you for using the power/speed increasing items, so buy some (or use Deep Sleep until you get them) in Waddle Dee Town and go in with your power of choice.

if 100%ing a game feels like a chore and drains the fun, there is no point in going for it. nobody is going to give you congratulations or a medal. quit it and move on to the next amazing game :)

Two pieces of advice, since you have all the powers:
  • I find that Space Ranger is super good for the fight. A fully charged shot can be done from far away and deals a lot of damage.
  • The game does not penalize you for using the power/speed increasing items, so buy some (or use Deep Sleep until you get them) in Waddle Dee Town and go in with your power of choice.
I may have to give Ranger another try. Part of the issue is the boss moves around a lot but the cooldown on bombs really sucks if you’re not paying attention and can’t cancel into a dodge.

Definitely going to try the items if I can’t get it in a few more attempts but might try to get some Rare Stones to do a permanent power upgrade first.

It’s just annoying that I keep getting really close and then blowing it in dumb ways. So I know it’s within reach, just haven’t internalized everything about the encounter yet.

BTW, there's an ability that can make you invincible, which helps a lot on those "don't get hit" tasks.

The final ice upgrade, where the "shield" state can be used forever without any cooldown, and it even makes some damage.

Just finished this and, holy shit, it feels so good to have a game just come out and be just fucking good. No caveats, no "well, I feel X could be improved." Just a neat 8-or-so hours of fun and not much else. I don't know whether I'll 100% it or not, but I'll definitely go for some of the post-game stuff.

I feel like this game might have invigorated my love for gaming, and just 'me' in general. I don't care if that sounds corny. I just love this stupid, cute, joyful shit so much.

Also, that ending... Going from a Resident Evil bio monstrosity to fighting a god on top of a rooftop to driving a Semi over floating skyscrapers is legitimately one of the best things I've experienced in a Nintendo game.

As I hoped, this isn’t much of an issue as I’ve gotten into the later worlds! One level to go in the post-game and I’m having a blast. Not much challenge to be found though in the regular levels unfortunately. I guess my final trek to the coliseum will end me on a challenging note but I was hoping for some platforming goodness.

A few of these final upgrades are just a bit too OP. I appreciate that someone could choose their own difficulty by reverting to Level 1/2 upgrades I suppose, but I’ve been absolutely tearing through my remaining challenges + the remix levels. That said, they pulled out some really fun and interesting change-ups in the remix levels, very reminiscent of 3D Mario post game stuff. Just a bit unfortunate that the OP power ups cancel out the seemingly decent difficulty curve.

Just finished this and, holy shit, it feels so good to have a game just come out and be just fucking good. No caveats, no "well, I feel X could be improved." Just a neat 8-or-so hours of fun and not much else. I don't know whether I'll 100% it or not, but I'll definitely go for some of the post-game stuff.

I feel like this game might have invigorated my love for gaming, and just 'me' in general. I don't care if that sounds corny. I just love this stupid, cute, joyful shit so much.

Also, that ending... Going from a Resident Evil bio monstrosity to fighting a god on top of a rooftop to driving a Semi over floating skyscrapers is legitimately one of the best things I've experienced in a Nintendo game.

I 100% agree with everything
It simply was a very good and charming game I enjoyed playing until the end
Now, a little bit of post game, for sure :)

BTW, there's an ability that can make you invincible, which helps a lot on those "don't get hit" tasks.

The final ice upgrade, where the "shield" state can be used forever without any cooldown, and it even makes some damage.

Holy shit it worked! Thank you so much for this tip! 🙇‍♂️

Its the first Kirby game I really sunk my teeth into.
Beat it to 100% completion and really loved it.
My highlight so far from the few games I played this year.

Played this game 100% co op with my daughter (save for the few mandatory solo sections), and I have to say I was genuinely suprised. I feel this is the true evolution of the IP that I wanted, and after feeling Star Allies was just "ok", I was pleasantly suprised with how this game turned out. One of my favorite games for the first half of 2022.

Granted Star Allies was my first Kirby game since Crystal Shards for the N64 (which I loved), so I cannot say much about entries between them in comparison.

Played this game 100% co op with my daughter (save for the few mandatory solo sections), and I have to say I was genuinely suprised. I feel this is the true evolution of the IP that I wanted, and after feeling Star Allies was just "ok", I was pleasantly suprised with how this game turned out. One of my favorite games for the first half of 2022.

Granted Star Allies was my first Kirby game since Crystal Shards for the N64 (which I loved), so I cannot say much about entries between them in comparison.
... well...
you got a ton of interesting spin offs (canvas curse, mass attack,...), a "spinoff" (Epic Yarn), and the main series that followed the Kirby Adventures & Kirby Superstar formula (And with Superstar Ultra probably the best Kirby game, superstar, remade, and expanded)

And the Main Line Series had a "revamp" with Return to Dreamland, thats the Formula that was used for Tripple Deluxe, Planet Robobots and Star Allies.

I myself was not that fond of the Return to Dreamland formula, so i am really happy about this new direction. =D

Ultimate Cup Z is not messing around. Had to tap out 5 fights from the end because the continue cost was getting prohibitive.

Guess it’s grind and git gud time

is the game any good? I was really excited by the announcement, but somehow I didn't buy it because of Legends Arceus and Elden Ring, games which I poured something like 300+ hours. now XC3 is on the horizon but I would like very much a comfy 20 hour game. any feedback on this?
Of course it's good. It's Kirby.

is the game any good? I was really excited by the announcement, but somehow I didn't buy it because of Legends Arceus and Elden Ring, games which I poured something like 300+ hours. now XC3 is on the horizon but I would like very much a comfy 20 hour game. any feedback on this?
it's an amazing game! super fun, and the post game is great, worth 100%ing for sure.

If you like obstacle-course 3D platformers, then yes you’ll like this.

Its a great game with a lot of replay value imo. One of the games that gets continuously better and better with a grat and satisfying final. Its my personal GOTY so far.

Definitely a top tier kirby game and one of the best platformers on switch, if you're not as familiar with the franchise then you have to buy it, it's an amazing starting point

Ultimate Cup Z is not messing around. Had to tap out 5 fights from the end because the continue cost was getting prohibitive.

Hi shoptroll, I really feel your pain with this because me and the person I was playing with (we take turns, so SP and not co-op) really struggled with UCZ a ton. Man, it is insanely hard. Like a lot of the harder parts of Kirby this go around (which I loved BTW) really reminded me of parts of Tunic, but I won't get in any spoilery comparisons. Anyway UCZ is insanely tough and I struggled with it but in particular it was the final phase of the last battle that seemed nigh-impossible to us. So no spoilers on that actual battle itself but here's my tip for making it through that battle and getting through the preceding ones with a slightly less crazy difficulty:

We used the Morpho Sword ability. We also powered it up once which takes it to the max power. So three things are super helpful with Morpho Knight.
1) when you get in successive hits or a bunch of damage at once, it heals you a little.
2) the dodge is insanely powerful. It teleports you a little bit to another space you dictate with the direction of the control stick. For me this last phase would be impossible without this. I didn't dodge or basically know what the dodge did pretty much the whole game before UCZ because I didn't take the time to learn it, but I found it to be incredibly helpful here. Plus when you get a perfect dodge, you get a moment of slo-mo to get in another hit.
3) I found it exceptionally tough to hit the final phase of the boss with Kirby, so the homing Morpho Sword attack helped a ton. You do this by holding down L and then I think you briefly hold down b - may just be pressing b but I think you hold it down - to summon the mini Forgo spirits and they go and attack the boss for you. I think you also have to be standing still while you do this.

These tips should also make some of the other tougher fights in UCZ surprisingly more doable.

I hope this helps a ton. Good luck. You got this!!

I really enjoyed playing through this game. It was delightful throughout, and the final sequence was probably the best thing I've played all year. I can't wait to see how they evolve Kirby in 3D going forward.

As for the poll question, Epic Yarn was my favorite, followed by Mass Attack, followed by Rainbow Curse. Other than the final boss, I didn't like Robobot all that much... Mostly felt like a by the numbers Kirby game to me.

I picked it up last weekend, was in the same boat as you. Got caught up in Elden Ring amongst others and I regret not buying it sooner. I'm almost finished and this is definitely the most ambitious Kirby game I've ever played. Hal absolutely crushed it. The soundtrack is amazing. Level design is top notch. Ability leveling up is addictive. This is Kirby at it's absolute best.

Arriving too late on this, but the game is fantastic.
It's a masterful blend of modern and old school 3D platformer DNA with elegant effortlessly graceful level design, tons of variety, and overflowing with adorable charm.

Every inch of it feels loving crafted with skill and passion. On a system with many excellent platformers, this is one of the best.

It's also just one of the most loveable and dopamine-inducing games out there, perfect for feeling better after a difficult day, like the video game equivalent of a warm hug. When it came out earlier this year it really helped me get through a rough patch in my life.

Last edited:

Morpho Knight Sword with 1x buff, and a trip to the buff store. increased speed , double hp and increaased damage should make it a breeze. (with double hp you have the sword beam till you lose the second bar and can attack from a distance)
If you like obstacle-course 3D platformers, then yes you’ll like this.
I would argue its at least 50% brawler. Platforming was nevver a challenge with kirby honestly, because...he can fly.

Morpho Knight Sword with 1x buff, and a trip to the buff store. increased speed , double hp and increaased damage should make it a breeze. (with double hp you have the sword beam till you lose the second bar and can attack from a distance)
Yea, I had a feeling I'll be making use of the buff store finally to clear this. I've still got 11 things to find in the post-game so I'll be replaying those levels first and then grinding standard Ultimate Cup to get some more stones and cash to make runs at the Z version.

The good thing is that I my gachapon collection isn't too shabby so hopefully I won't be dealing with that for too long after I finish Ultimate Cup Z for the final completion bits. Unless the labyrinth mini-game hard modes are required for 100% which I thought I saw they weren't.

I would argue its at least 50% brawler. Platforming was nevver a challenge with kirby honestly, because...he can fly.
Yea, this is definitely following in the brawler style that was started with Super Star

Yea, I had a feeling I'll be making use of the buff store finally to clear this. I've still got 11 things to find in the post-game so I'll be replaying those levels first and then grinding standard Ultimate Cup to get some more stones and cash to make runs at the Z version.

The good thing is that I my gachapon collection isn't too shabby so hopefully I won't be dealing with that for too long after I finish Ultimate Cup Z for the final completion bits. Unless the labyrinth mini-game hard modes are required for 100% which I thought I saw they weren't.
I dont think they count. And yeah, i like that its easy to grind your way through the Z cup if you really struggle, without making it completly trivial. It goes from actually hard to managable to actually not that much harder then other challenges if you are fully decked out.

In regards to the cacha: there are some special ones, that you get with other means. most of them you will already have, but then there are some i overlooked, like paying for the band...
Yea, this is definitely following in the brawler style that was started with Super Star
And thats what i wanted from kirby. we have enough platformers. brawler, especially in 3d are kind of a dead breed. we have charactere action games (DMC, Bayonetta), and the early god of war can kindaaaa be called brawler.

And i would have loved for kirby to go a little bit more in the DMC/Bayonetta direction (the different attacks / combos), but it was probably the right decision to reduce the complexity of the powers for the first 3D game.

I dont think they count. And yeah, i like that its easy to grind your way through the Z cup if you really struggle, without making it completly trivial. It goes from actually hard to managable to actually not that much harder then other challenges if you are fully decked out.

In regards to the cacha: there are some special ones, that you get with other means. most of them you will already have, but then there are some i overlooked, like paying for the band...
Yea, I've got most of the special ones so far. The only one I'm lacking from Set 1 is the buff shop Waddle because well I really didn't need it for the vast majority of the game, and I figured I'd need to pay for buffs for this part given my experience with the Boss Rush/Parade in Robobot (I cheesed it with Amiibos much to my shame)

And thats what i wanted from kirby. we have enough platformers. brawler, especially in 3d are kind of a dead breed. we have charactere action games (DMC, Bayonetta), and the early god of war can kindaaaa be called brawler.

And i would have loved for kirby to go a little bit more in the DMC/Bayonetta direction (the different attacks / combos), but it was probably the right decision to reduce the complexity of the powers for the first 3D game.
This may be worth a separate topic but I think 3D brawlers ultimately split into action-rpgs, character action games, and musou genres. I don't know how you'd make a 3D brawler that doesn't somehow fall into one of those genres.

In terms of the powers I think this game is a very interesting study for how several of the original Kirby powers were either combined (Fire operates as a combination of Fire and Fireball) or re-contextualized as Mouthful Modes (ie. Wheel became Car, Stone became Cone). HAL did a really great job creating a smaller power set but still feeling very complete without many redundancies or variations on similar mechanics.

Sorry for the bump but:

We used the Morpho Sword ability. We also powered it up once which takes it to the max power. So three things are super helpful with Morpho Knight.
Yo, that ability is super busted. No wonder UCZ is so much more difficult 😅 I haven't tried a UCZ run yet since getting it but it cut my MK Cup time in half based on the Tier 1/2 abilities I had unlocked at the time 🤯

Currently at 93% with just UCZ and grinding out the last few gachas (I have less than 10 remaining I think) left. Looks like 100% before Live A Live comes out is totally feasible!

As of now, it's my #2 game of 2022 behind Elden Ring, it's on my top 10 overall Switch games, and it's my favourite Kirby game by a landslide.

Kirby entered 3D with nearly as much panache as Zelda, Mario, and Metroid did. I'm really excited for the future of 3D Kirby.

Sorry for the bump but:

Yo, that ability is super busted. No wonder UCZ is so much more difficult 😅 I haven't tried a UCZ run yet since getting it but it cut my MK Cup time in half based on the Tier 1/2 abilities I had unlocked at the time 🤯

Currently at 93% with just UCZ and grinding out the last few gachas (I have less than 10 remaining I think) left. Looks like 100% before Live A Live comes out is totally feasible!
Amazing! I'm really glad you gave it a whirl. Be prepared for the final UCZ battle to be 🤯 insane 🤯 in the membrane. The game felt really amazing to 100%. The optional treasure road time trials and extra hard tilt 'n' roll puzzles were icing on the cake too. Both really tough IMO.

Amazing! I'm really glad you gave it a whirl. Be prepared for the final UCZ battle to be 🤯 insane 🤯 in the membrane. The game felt really amazing to 100%. The optional treasure road time trials and extra hard tilt 'n' roll puzzles were icing on the cake too. Both really tough IMO.
Yea I'm not bothering with those 🤣 That's a little bit above my patient level, but I will say getting this close to 100% has been really fun and amazing to tackle. Really reminded me of how I used to go for 100% on things like Kirby and Mario back in the day and just haven't been doing that lately so I may have to start doing that again because it's been really satisfying lately for the games I've been trying to stick with past the initial credits.

Yea I'm not bothering with those 🤣 That's a little bit above my patient level, but I will say getting this close to 100% has been really fun and amazing to tackle. Really reminded me of how I used to go for 100% on things like Kirby and Mario back in the day and just haven't been doing that lately so I may have to start doing that again because it's been really satisfying lately for the games I've been trying to stick with past the initial credits.
Haha yeah it's definitely a labor of love and patience to go for the 102% there, which is not a thing the game measures or counts by any means. But yeah to your larger point, these days a lot of the best content in first party Nintendo games is in the post game, I feel like the trend started around 3DL. If you go down the post-credits route, hope you dig it and find it worth your time!

Absolutely was not expecting the final final boss at the end of the cup and got wrecked 😅 96% with only figurines left to go in the capsule toy machines. I can do this!

Going to try another run or two with the health upgrade and then cheese it with the full suite if I have to. Fully upgraded Morpho is ridiculous.

Annnd that's a wrap! 100% done after my 4th UCZ run 💪 Ended up using the health up powerup but never needed more than that

Only took 4 twists at the gacha for the last figure I needed :LOL:

Excellent game, and right now my GotY pick. Definitely in my franchise top 5 maybe even top 3. I can't believe how well HAL stuck the landing on the 3D transition with this series. I really hope there's DLC plans because I would love to have more to do, or at least a reason to grind for more stones to power up the remaining abilities.

So glad I stuck with this for the full clear, it was very satisfying to do, and I was reading up on Star Allies last night and I may have to return to that one since I never touched it after beating it before the patches started rolling.

To be honest, after the excitement of the first 3D Kirby game died down, I find Forgotten Land just a little disappointing.

Perhaps Forgotten Land is overall better by virtue of actually bringing a significant gameplay shift to Kirby, but the low number of abilities AND their simplified moves are a big issue to me. I feel like the Morpho Knight Sword upgrade showed that the simplified moves didn't really need to happen. Also, why do we need Meta Knight Sword to bring back Sword's full health beams?

Star Allies has the best ability mechanics but bland level design, and Forgotten Land has fantastic level design but underwhelming abilities. I really hope the next 3D Kirby game can retain Forgotten Land's level design while bringing the ability movesets at least up to par with Super Star/RtDL.

Absolutely was not expecting the final final boss at the end of the cup and got wrecked 😅 96% with only figurines left to go in the capsule toy machines. I can do this!

Going to try another run or two with the health upgrade and then cheese it with the full suite if I have to. Fully upgraded Morpho is ridiculous.
Tried to warn you 😆 that's awesome that you beat it! It was super tough IMO even with that ability. I feel like it'd be nigh impossible for me with just about any other ability. Anyway, glad you dug it! I loved it a lot, too. And while you're waiting for DLC, there's always those treasure road time trials...! I think you said you weren't going to go for them but they are super satisfying. 😄

dis_rafu-1024x745.jpg

dis_main.jpg

dis_v.jpg

dis_a2.jpg

dis_a4.jpg

dis_a5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom