• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kirby and the Forgotten Land |ST| Hero in Another Dimension

Favorite Kirby game from the 2010s?

• Kirby's Epic Yarn

Votes: 35 21.1%
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Kirby Mass Attack

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • Kirby Star Allies

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Finally got around to starting yesterday. On the second area and having a blast. The move to 3D has been handled so gracefully here.

Just officially rolled credits - this is easily an all-time great for Nintendo. 65% completion and clearly plenty of quality content still lies ahead, that’s my kind of game.

Glad to see talking to DeDede gave me a secret fourth unlock for the hammer, the only power up who I wasn’t happy with visually in it’s final form!

My partner and I played through World 6 earlier and rolled the credits. Game Good.

I think I agree with people that World 6 is the most "boring" world in terms of its theme, since we got two other takes on the ruined city trope in the game (also, hi Crisis City), but it's kinda splitting hairs. It works as a solid final world in the sense that it brings back ideas and mechanics from throughout the game. Of particular note is how the last platforming level ends in a callback to the first full level of the game with the cone and Tortulding sequence, I really liked that.

As is to be expected, the endgame area of Lab Discovera is as bonkers as you would hope. The backstory up the elevator with spoken dialogue is effectively jarring. The reveal of the Beast Pack's leader...only for Fecto Forgo to be the true villain, absorbing everything to become this gross monstrosity in a chase sequence boss worked out super well. And of course the fight with Fecto Elfilis is as grand as it could be - this angelic looking monster fought on top of a ruined building with an incredible battle song to boot, I cannot wait to try and master this fight for the Colosseum. And of course, that last phase. The callback to the very first Mouthful Mode power amped up to 11 with it being a big-rig this time. And the song, mixing the game's main theme with the iconic Invincible Candy theme was perfect. What a finale. HAL knows how to end a video game, as usual.

I cannot wait to dive into the post game and see all of the lore for myself.

And for fun...

Beat Dedede with the wife this afternoon. She's getting frustrated with some of the levels, so I'll probably put this down once we roll credits.

Hit the credits earlier today. Currently at 45% completion with about 50 Waddle Dees to find along with everything else that needs to be done now. It feels like there's a lot to do now!

This has been an absolute joy to play. While the copy ability pool is much smaller than the 3DS games and Star Allies I feel like the upgrades make up for it. Plus a number of the more situational abilities like Wheel or Stone have been effectively recontextualized into the mouthful mode abilities which I think just works better, or at least in the 3D space. In a way this game harkens back to Adventure with a very focused set of abilities that are put to great use for combat, exploration, and puzzle solving.

Really really liked playing with the Drill and Ranger abilities. Drill in particular has made me very excited for Mina the Hollower, which I know isn't by HAL but has an equivalent moveset the game is based around. So that's going to be a lot of fun getting into the rhythm of dive, drill, pop up again for combat.

HAL really hit it out of the park with this one and I think it's going to be fondly remembered as one of the the all-time greats in the Kirby pantheon.

On to the post-game!

Tried the final colliseum, and I thought I was all prepared until I got to the final boss. I didn’t realize all the battles before were just an appetizer. Wow!

I finished the main story and post game. I’ll never judge a game halfway through again lol. The difficulty was much more satisfying in the second half of the game.

Great visuals, good soundtrack, fun mini games, interesting power ups and satisfying gameplay. I feel like the level design could be a bit more adventurous but I guess it’s aimed at a very wide audience. I’d give it an 8/10.

I have just gotten the third Ranger power up and it is GLORIOUS. Definitely my copy ability, both aesthetically and functionally.

I finally got around to finishing the main story and unlocking the post-game, and I'm already comfortable that this is going to probably stick in my top three for the year and has a reasonable chance to be my number one for 2022.

I think the creativity of the platforming puzzles actually never went away and that each level was strong, building upon mechanics and puzzles seen in earlier levels to present more complex or challenging puzzles later. There was always a feeling of "oh yeah, I remember seeing something like this two worlds ago," but even through my intermittent play through the game, I never really forgot what to do.

I also think that visually, the game is a wonder. Even considering the standard grassland level, lava level, etc., the surroundings are gorgeous. Having each level incorporate the ruins of a lost civilization helps. And Wondaria Remains is a joy to look at and experience.

If the post-game is roughly as good, this is going to be hard to beat for my tastes and money.

Oh gosh, picking a favourite power is tough, so many cool ones!
My top picks so far are storm tornado and homing bomb, but I didn't manage to upgrade every power all the way on my first playthrough, so looking forward to discovering awesome new ones when I revisit the game down the road. :)

HAL really hit it out of the park with this one and I think it's going to be fondly remembered as one of the the all-time greats in the Kirby pantheon.

No doubt. I think there's already nearly a consensus among both old and new Kirby fans that this is easily one of the best games in the series, if not the best.

To me it's kind of like Kirby's Mario Galaxy moment. Forbidden Land felt like a giant leap in terms of presentation, style, and confidence for the franchise in the same way that Galaxy did for Mario, IMO.

Sounds like both Galaxy and Forbidden Land hit us the same way. Someone on another forum once described Galaxy as "the feeling of when your morning coffee kicks in."

I think that's an apt analogy for these games. They just immediately engender a joyful energy within me while playing. The presentation and variety of level designs both contribute heavily to this sensation, IMO.

Mario Galaxy is a good point of reference; Forgotten Land has a similar feeling of a series blasting off to new heights in scope and ambition. (And in my humble opinion, quality too. Not that either series wasn't already awesome, but I feel both are a new high water mark)

Finished the main story, and saved all the Waddle Dees.

And now at the postgame I’ve tried the first level out and I’m kinda not feeling like searching for those soul bits. Guess I’ll play something else first.

Finished the main story, and saved all the Waddle Dees.

And now at the postgame I’ve tried the first level out and I’m kinda not feeling like searching for those soul bits. Guess I’ll play something else first.
Luckily the game tells you when you find all of them In an area so it's hard to accidentally miss one

Luckily the game tells you when you find all of them In an area so it's hard to accidentally miss one
Yeah, but I still kinda hoped they split the areas into their own short levels instead. I missed one in the first area, so when the message came up in the second area I audibly groaned.

Yeah, but I still kinda hoped they split the areas into their own short levels instead. I missed one in the first area, so when the message came up in the second area I audibly groaned.
Lol yeah happened to me in the first area too, I get that

I forgot to mention my deep love for the Burning, Churning Power Plant music. There's something about the piano that brings it all together.

What a GREAT OST. I feel like Nintendo's upped their game re: music in general since the Switch came out. Not that their games had bad music before, but they're on another level in a number of games from this generation.

I forgot to mention my deep love for the Burning, Churning Power Plant music. There's something about the piano that brings it all together.

What a GREAT OST. I feel like Nintendo's upped their game re: music in general since the Switch came out. Not that their games had bad music before, but they're on another level in a number of games from this generation.

I think that already happened with Wii U. But it is great to see it continues with the Switch.

Yeah I am normally bad at remembering non-lyrical musical pieces but the soundtrack for this game has been nothing short of amazing.

I think that already happened with Wii U. But it is great to see it continues with the Switch.
In my opinion, Nintendo's compositions took a massive leap with the Wii and then again with Switch. Galaxy and its sequel have top three OSTs of all time, IMO, and there are all sorts of excellent compositions across their other games (and in the dope system music in the Wii Shop, for that matter).

The WiiU didn't have that for me overall, personally, though I do deeply love Mario Kart 8's OST.

I don't think any one OST from Nintendo on Switch is better than Galaxy's OST, but man, do a lot of the OSTs from their games on this console come reasonably close.

Played through the whole thing with my hubby and had a really great time! We didn't 100% it but I will probably go back and clean up the last few things I'm missing except maybe the "no hit during boss" ones. Overall I had a really nice time with the game and am glad that it's getting such a positive reception!

In my opinion, Nintendo's compositions took a massive leap with the Wii and then again with Switch. Galaxy and its sequel have top three OSTs of all time, IMO, and there are all sorts of excellent compositions across their other games (and in the dope system music in the Wii Shop, for that matter).

The WiiU didn't have that for me overall, personally, though I do deeply love Mario Kart 8's OST.

I don't think any one OST from Nintendo on Switch is better than Galaxy's OST, but man, do a lot of the OSTs from their games on this console come reasonably close.

I think Galaxy was the first one that started this evolution, but I think it continued with the Wii U in full force and continuing still with the Switch. Other great Wii game soundtracks are Xenoblade and Skyward Sword. Wii U have at least Splatoon, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, 3d World, Tropical Freeze, Woolly World, Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse which have great music with top productions. This continues with the Switch and in my opinion it is getting better still.

Is there something specific you do for the healing with the
Morpho Knight ability
or is just a regen passive?

Is there something specific you do for the healing with the
Morpho Knight ability
or is just a regen passive?
hitting enemies with attacks spawn little orbs that grant you health. it's effectively just passive health steal

I cannot for the life of me find this last donut I am missing in the mall level. All I want is for Kirby to have four donuts, is that too much to ask?

I cannot for the life of me find this last donut I am missing in the mall level. All I want is for Kirby to have four donuts, is that too much to ask?

I had problem with that one as well.
On the screen where there are conveyor belts moving in a "rotating square", make sure to visit all parts of that screen.

Finished the wasteland world with the wife. Turns out I don't have enough coins to get all the ability promotions, so I might need to redo a few levels.

One thing I really appreciate about this game is that it's very quick to 'mop up' the stuff you missed in each level (outside of boss levels which should really have a 'retry' option). You can pretty much skip everything in each level if you really want, because the primary challenge comes from doing more than just clearing the stage.

One thing I really appreciate about this game is that it's very quick to 'mop up' the stuff you missed in each level (outside of boss levels which should really have a 'retry' option). You can pretty much skip everything in each level if you really want, because the primary challenge comes from doing more than just clearing the stage.

Yeah that’s pretty nice. It amazes me when I play through a level in 25 minutes then go back and replay it to get a waddle dee and it takes like 3 minutes.

Quick questions for people who are post-game.

I'm now at 91% complete after finishing the Forgo Psychic Lands with all soul pieces collected.

I have bought and upgraded/completed each part of the town, including updating the bandstand.

I want to make sure that I know what I have to do to get that last 9%. I did look at guides, but the ones I looked at were a bit unclear, so I thought I'd check here.

On my to-do list is:

• Finishing the four Gotcha collections
    [*]Completing the third and final colosseum that is the post-Forgo unlock
    [*]Upgrading the sword with the Morpho blueprint

Now, I want to make sure. Do I also have to do the following:

• Add a +1 upgrade to every form of each weapon that allows it
    [*]Complete the very hard tilt-and-roll games (I got the Gotcha for completing the base ones already)

I wasn't sure if those were also necessary. If anyone who has completed the full 100% could tell me, that would be great. Thanks in advance. :)

Quick questions for people who are post-game.

I'm now at 91% complete after finishing the Forgo Psychic Lands with all soul pieces collected.

I have bought and upgraded/completed each part of the town, including updating the bandstand.

I want to make sure that I know what I have to do to get that last 9%. I did look at guides, but the ones I looked at were a bit unclear, so I thought I'd check here.

On my to-do list is:

• Finishing the four Gotcha collections
    [*]Completing the third and final colosseum that is the post-Forgo unlock
    [*]Upgrading the sword with the Morpho blueprint

Now, I want to make sure. Do I also have to do the following:

• Add a +1 upgrade to every form of each weapon that allows it
    [*]Complete the very hard tilt-and-roll games (I got the Gotcha for completing the base ones already)

I wasn't sure if those were also necessary. If anyone who has completed the full 100% could tell me, that would be great. Thanks in advance. :)

No on those last two.

Wow, that last colosseum really gets out of hand, doesn't it? Beat it with literally the last sliver of life bar still blinking red.

Love the enhanced Waddle Dee Town music after you clear that last colosseum. It sounds great. Final time I'll say it because I've repeated myself enough already: I absolutely love this OST. I think I have it only behind Odyssey as my favorite OST from a Nintendo game this generation.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the mascots in Wondaria are egg-dog hybrids and they’re gendered. Is this an indirect Eggerland / Adventures of Lolo reference?

Huh, I'm surprised that isn't just an insta kill lol

FSk2OnpVEAEPCCG

Back
Top Bottom