• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards Coming to NSO Expansion Pak on 5/20 (out now!)

I think they will eventually patch F Zero X, but rather than employ a temporary "hot fix" they will instead fix the underlying emulation. That's the best long term solution but that is probably what is taking a while.

Pokémon Snap at Pokémon Presents in the next weeks, and a new batch of NSO titles at the Direct in June. Sweet!

Not sure if it actually went to 10FPS, but I'm not usually very prone to stutters and F-Zero X doesn't hold it's target framerate for a second on my Switch in a very jarring way. It's one of my favourite racing games, so I wouldn't mind a little bit of stutter, but the way it runs on my SwOLED is tragic.
It either stutters or it doesn't, it's very strange. Some races run fine, then you restart and the same races don't hit 60 at all. I don't know what to make of it, but I have seen it hold 60 for entire races.

Anecdotally, I remember the X cup tending not to stutter much at all when I was doing it.

They've really coordinated this release; got the plushes ready to release a few months from now.

Nago!! Coo!!! Need!!!!? When??

Edit: wait, not Coo! Um... I Ok it to google it...I want to say it has to do with a radio 📻 or pitch...let's see...ok it is Pitch!

Edit: I can't believe I missed the few months part! Lol. Just got too excited. Definitely keeping these on my radar. Thanks Mondo!

Last edited:
Nago!! Coo!!! Need!!!!? When??

Edit: wait, not Coo! Um... I Ok it to google it...I want to say it has to do with a radio 📻 or pitch...let's see...ok it is Pitch!

Edit: I can't believe I missed the few months part! Lol. Just got too excited. Definitely keeping these on my radar. Thanks Mondo!
If you still want Coo, I have great news.

61TvqeccGfL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Can't get too hyped about NSO Expansion without an F-Zero X fix. It's starting to feel like a waste of money, as F-Zero X was the primary reason why I got it and it performs like doo-doo.

Kinda crazy how much conversation there was about Ocarina's minor emulation issues, but so little on F-Zero X stuttering like mad :p .

Crystal Shards is good though, the only Kirby game I completed pre-Forgotten Land.
It usually takes about 2 updates for a fix to come out, which makes sense, it’s rarely an easy thing

It usually takes about 2 updates for a fix to come out, which makes sense, it’s rarely an easy thing
Oh I'm not in a rush. Just asking myself if it will happen at all - F-Zero doesn't have the profile that Zelda has.

When it gets fixed I'll sing it's praises once again though.

Thanks Volcanic! I kinda want Coo but I think I saw one that's a bit cuter to me, where he's carrying the Kirbster.
This one, correct?

0024577_kirby-pupupu-friends-large-coo-kirby-duo-plush.jpeg

I want the Rick and Kirby from this line. The cutest dang Kirby plush I've ever seen, and there's some amazing ones.

This one, correct?

0024577_kirby-pupupu-friends-large-coo-kirby-duo-plush.jpeg

I want the Rick and Kirby from this line. The cutest dang Kirby plush I've ever seen, and there's some amazing ones.
Yes! This one. I saw it on eBay. What are the other ones?

My all time fave Kirby plush is the Animal Kirby one. I hope that power up returns one day. Too cute!

Does it actually get that low? I played it through to completion and it certainly didn't feel like it.

So the F-Zero X issue is weird and it feels like something you'd get with a memory leak, but I have no idea if that's what it is here.

It won't always happen but usually you can force it to by almost finishing a race and restarting. At that point, you will likely notice the initial rotation stuttering more than what you saw a few minutes earlier, and then the entire race will be like it. You can repeat to make it get worse each time until it's running like Ocarina of Time.

Can't see Blast Corps not showing up. Via the Gigaleak we know Nintendo wanted it (and GoldenEye) on Wii VC before Banjo, and in 2020 they leaked themselves that it was planned for Wii U VC (but we already knew via datamining).

Could easily see Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark making it on there too. It's just Conker and Mickey's Speedway that have me skeptical. I know Perfect Dark is also rated M, like Conker, but that one feels a little more manageable.

I just realized, with Microsoft backing NSO we could get Hydro Thunder 64 version! (They own the series now)

My n64 controller should arrive just in time for this, hyped to revisit a fave

Also we got the update window

Excited to dive back into this after so many years - and finish it for the first time! It was my first Kirby game back in the day, and I would always rent it from the video store but never got very far. I just liked the cutscenes and imagery. From what I do remember, I never made it past the Adeleine battle.

I had a really bad habit for renting the same games over and over, despite never knowing what to do in half of them. 😅

I'd need someone with a better eye to check F-Zero X, but there is one emulation fix this update at least.

Banjo-Kazooie is still missing the dash though @Tye; maybe next time...?

I'd need someone with a better eye to check F-Zero X, but there is one emulation fix this update at least.
Literally the only reason i’m interested in this months release. Stuttering F-Zero X is probably my biggest disappointment of the entire Switch’s life so far.

Banjo-Kazooie is still missing the dash though @Tye; maybe next time...?

Yeah, I just checked myself and saw the bad news. ._. It’d be nice if more people would join me in submitting feedback about it via the NSO app…

But it’s nice to see the fix in Dr. Mario 64!

No F-Zero X fix then. Sigh...

It's nice that they're slowly fixing things, but some of these issues like the F-Zero X stuttering shouldn't be here to begin with.

No F-Zero X fix then. Sigh...

It's nice that they're slowly fixing things, but some of these issues like the F-Zero X stuttering shouldn't be here to begin with.

I imagine that F-Zero X's issue is with the executable itself and the eventual fix won't be obvious from data mining.

If F-Zero X is still not fixed that is egregious. That one is tied with Ocarina's initial rendering issues as probably the biggest problem with the entire suite of N64 games, it should absolutely be high priority. I'm also frankly a bit shocked that the Yoshi glitch is still not fixed. Does not seem like it'd be the sort of thing that would take months and months to figure out.

hearing that file menu music for Kirby 64 makes me incredibly nostalgic. I’ve played lots of Kirby games as a kid and an adult but for some reason this one stuck in my mind the most in childhood. Haven’t done a replay in a decade but just playing world 1 last night had me excited to dive into more this weekend.

Damn that water glitch is really bad. Definitely something a lot of casual players will run into unlike some of the other glitches. Acro hit me in the second phase of the fight and Kirby just sunk to the bottom like an anvil and died. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't wait a month to fix it.

I will say I think the game looks really nice and crisp on NSO. The colors pop in a way they don't on a normal N64 with a CRT TV.

As @Mekanos already said, the game looks really nice and clean. I played the first two levels or so and it was fun. I'll definitely keep playing.

Thanks to @MondoMega for posting a vid of this.

This is really starting to get unacceptable, imo. Honestly, it's been unacceptable since Ocarina of Time launched in the state it did. I thought things would get better, but 2 of the last 3 games they've launched have huge issues, and 2 months after F-Zero X, there are no signs of that one being fixed. The Yoshi's glitch is still not fixed. No Controller Pak support. Just seems totally nuts to me that there has been no communication from Nintendo on any of this. Now that a bug like this has been discovered our reaction basically has to be "gee well we know they won't publicly acknowledge it so here's hoping they fix it in next month's update" which is just kind of ridiculous.

Last edited:
A extra challenge has been added to the monthly game event to celebrate this release – swing by for a chance to win some digital games if you're already playing!

✰ Kirby Turned 30 Update 1.0.4 is now live! ✰

✧・゚: ✧・ Patch Notes ・゚✧:・゚✧

·
A surprise fourth tier 3 badge has been added to celebrate the release of Kirby on NSO! See details below or in OP. Thanks to @Mandos for the name idea!

The Challenge Colosseum

Drifting-Full.png

• Drifting Away (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - N64 (NSO)
    Speed run time! Kirby 64 just dropped on NSO and we're celebrating with an additional challenge at the 11th hour. Get 100% and the true ending to claim this final badge. Unfortunately, it looks like there may be some... unique challenges ahead of you in this run if you're playing on NSO. What's a Switch port without a little extra drift?

Man I remember when I first saw screenshots of this in a magazine when I was 10 and was like OH SHIT, a 3D Kirby game! I loved Banjo, Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64! The way the camera was angled in the screenshots made it look 3D, and the article in the magazine even said the game was 3D (which once I played the game I realized they were just talking about the graphics not the gameplay, hahaha)

But when I bought it and it was just another Kirby game (which I loved at the time but it wasn't what I was expecting), I was so disappointed.

I replayed it for the first time since then when the anniversary collection on Wii came out and appreciated it more. Still, even then it's definitely not one of the Kirby greats. Loved that song that played in the factory level though. Might replay the game on NSO just for that, hahaha

Oh wow I underestimated how weird this would be to go back to after Forgotten Land lol

extremely excited though - I’ve never truly played this through!

I love the cutscenes in this game. Still really charming. Just finished getting 100%. It's a simple game, but still really fun overall.

How do boss enemy cards work or are they just glitched?

I thought you got them automatically but after three worlds I only have the boss card from world 3.

Getting all the collectible crystal shards is really unintuitive tbh.

Will resort to a guide fairly quickly after I’ve finished all the levels this first time around.

Getting all the collectible crystal shards is really unintuitive tbh.

Will resort to a guide fairly quickly after I’ve finished all the levels this first time around.
It more straightforward than Dreamland 2 or 3 imo (with the exception of Rick Rock ofc). It's only with the Return to Dreamland style games where it became really obvious what to do

It more straightforward than Dreamland 2 or 3 imo (with the exception of Rick Rock ofc). It's only with the Return to Dreamland style games where it became really obvious what to do
I don’t feel like I had much trouble with DL3, that required collectibles for the final boss yeah?

DL2 idk if I did everything, don’t think so.

This is a great chilled out cool down kirby game after the anime bombast that i just experienced wrapping up kirby and the forgotten land

Btw heres a fun throwback, Jeff Gertsmanns original review for gamespot. He liked it, gave it a 6.9 (which was okay at the time!)

What a unique art style for the 64. Holds up damn well, especially in handheld mode.

The title screen with no music and the characters just standing there is out of a horror game and you can’t convince me otherwise.

The title screen with no music and the characters just standing there is out of a horror game and you can’t convince me otherwise.
Yeah I've never understood that title screen, almost feels like it was left unfinished. The transition to the moody and somber file select music doesn't help.

It’s almost comical how unbalanced the different powers are.

You get something like the fireworks and it feels like you’re invincible. Just an instant, combo-able attack that hits 360 degrees around you.

And then you have stuff like cutter that feels like a straight up nerf to use. I’d rather inhale.

Back
Top Bottom