• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards Coming to NSO Expansion Pak on 5/20 (out now!)

totofogo

thinkin bt pkmn 4
Staff on Leave
Pronouns
he/him 🏳️‍🌈

Inhale enemies and combine their abilities in #Kirby's adventure beyond Dream Land! Dozens of puffed-up special powers await you in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, floating onto #NintendoSwitch for #NintendoSwitchOnline + Expansion Pack members on 5/20! #Nintendo64

Just in time for the final week of our Kirby Community Game event too! You can expect to see a new challenge there to sync up with the game's release :)

Will play again. Barely remember anything about it. Guess that means we get Pokemon Snap next month then and hopefully we get the next batch of games during the next direct. I am surprised Japan hasn't got the Custom Robo games yet.

Rated T for Teen - Blood and Violence

324-C58-A4-B869-43-FD-83-EB-CC790-F15-CC64.jpg

My all time fave, can’t wait to replay and my N64 controller might make it too! We need to do an online multiplayer session too!
Will play again. Barely remember anything about it. Guess that means we get Pokemon Snap next month then and hopefully we get the next batch of games during the next direct. I am surprised Japan hasn't got the Custom Robo games yet.
Same, though one could double up with snap
June release in time for the E3 Blow out on the next games to come to the service.

Hopefully Dk64 and DKR

EDIT

Right, there's no E3..
There should still be a June direct tho. It’s the regular cycle. Also give me snowboard kids

I hate how stringent ratings have become for blood, especially for cero. I'm tired of the lack of blood in Japanese games where violence is a big part of the narrative stemming from wanting a lower rating.

This is one of my least favorite Kirby games. It has been a decade, though, so maybe things will be different!

Great game. Combining powers is a fun take on Kirby (Darth Maul Kirby is the best!). Don’t have NSO+ but I do have my Dream Collection handy when the time comes for a replay.

Fyi Teen is the rating of the app.
Which basically eliminates any chance of getting what limited mature releases that could come out on the system (doubting they want to make it splash “M” at the beginning of all of these trailers).

My all time fave, can’t wait to replay and my N64 controller might make it too! We need to do an online multiplayer session too!

Same, though one could double up with snap

There should still be a June direct tho. It’s the regular cycle. Also give me snowboard kids
I wonder who even owns the rights for Snowboard Kids at this point. I would be so thrilled if SBK 1 and 2 came to Expansion Pass. I literally would upgrade just for those games!

Last edited:
I never owned this game, but rented it back in the day. Always loved the creativity in combining abilities. Lots of fun stuff.

Such a quality title, really glad it's coming to NSO. I still have to beat Forgotten Land, Star Fox 64, and Earthbound, but if I get through all that before Xenoblade 3 and still have a nostalgia itch for some retro Kirby, I'll play through it again!

I wonder who even owns the rights for Snowboard Kids at this point. I would be so thrilled if SBK 1 and 2 came to Expansion Pass. I literally would upgrade just for those games!
Atlus still owns it completely as far as I know, they even did a ds reboot

SO excited! Probably the one I've been looking forward to the most other than Banjo.

So uh...they'll announce more in June, right? Another 10 or so titles? If we don't get Tooie I'm gonna be so disappointed :(

SO excited! Probably the one I've been looking forward to the most other than Banjo.

So uh...they'll announce more in June, right? Another 10 or so titles? If we don't get Tooie I'm gonna be so disappointed :(
I’d imagine they would, they timed it perfectly with their summer direct

I’d imagine they would, they timed it perfectly with their summer direct
My thoughts exactly! Snap is still to come obviously but I definitely want more. How are our chances of getting ALL the Rare games, maybe with the exception of Conker for...reasons? I can't see them skipping DK64 and DKR

My thoughts exactly! Snap is still to come obviously but I definitely want more. How are our chances of getting ALL the Rare games, maybe with the exception of Conker for...reasons? I can't see them skipping DK64 and DKR
Conker being M will probably keep it off the services. Ditto Mickey's Speedway due to licensing issues. Not sure about Rare's whole catalogue but I think DK64 and Tooie are safe bets and hopefully we get DKR.

Conker being M will probably keep it off the services. Ditto Mickey's Speedway due to licensing issues. Not sure about Rare's whole catalogue but I think DK64 and Tooie are safe bets and hopefully we get DKR.
Can't see Blast Corps not showing up. Via the Gigaleak we know Nintendo wanted it (and GoldenEye) on Wii VC before Banjo, and in 2020 they leaked themselves that it was planned for Wii U VC (but we already knew via datamining).

Could easily see Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark making it on there too. It's just Conker and Mickey's Speedway that have me skeptical. I know Perfect Dark is also rated M, like Conker, but that one feels a little more manageable.

Can't get too hyped about NSO Expansion without an F-Zero X fix. It's starting to feel like a waste of money, as F-Zero X was the primary reason why I got it and it performs like doo-doo.

Kinda crazy how much conversation there was about Ocarina's minor emulation issues, but so little on F-Zero X stuttering like mad :p .

Crystal Shards is good though, the only Kirby game I completed pre-Forgotten Land.

awesome, was waiting for this one. so i guess snap is gonna be the last of the regular monthly releases and then they'll reveal game boy gamea in the june direct.

How hard would it be to just put parental controls on the app to add stuff like Conker? 😒
Wouldn't be difficult at all; the app already has the ability to hide specific games for certain account regions (currently only used for Magical Drop II and F-Zero X in Korea), hiding games by parental control setting should just be a simple itteration on that.

awesome, was waiting for this one. so i guess snap is gonna be the last of the regular monthly releases and then they'll reveal game boy gamea in the june direct.
Yeah, I imagine they’ll announce Game Boy for regular sub users and GBA for the Expansion Pass.

Then they can drip feed GB/GBA/N64 for a very long time.

Then, GameCube! …please, so many of those games cost $150-200+ now.

Except Turok 3 (still wonder why Nightdive haven't done it)
They really don't want to port that one. When asked about it they actually talked about them instead making a brand new Turok game instead.

Can't get too hyped about NSO Expansion without an F-Zero X fix. It's starting to feel like a waste of money, as F-Zero X was the primary reason why I got it and it performs like doo-doo.

Kinda crazy how much conversation there was about Ocarina's minor emulation issues, but so little on F-Zero X stuttering like mad :p .

Crystal Shards is good though, the only Kirby game I completed pre-Forgotten Land.
No one actually plays F-Zero silly

(Except me, but without prior muscle memory I found it perfectly playable.)

This annoys me no end!

Slightly wrong fog and reflections in a couple of places: Unplayable trash!
Really terrible stuttering dropping a 60fps game to around 10fps at times: cricket noises

This annoys me no end!

Really terrible stuttering dropping a 60fps game to around 10fps at times: cricket noises
Does it actually get that low? I played it through to completion and it certainly didn't feel like it.

No one actually plays F-Zero silly

(Except me, but without prior muscle memory I found it perfectly playable.)
Sigh, I guess this is as much proof of that as we need :'(.

Not sure if it actually went to 10FPS, but I'm not usually very prone to stutters and F-Zero X doesn't hold it's target framerate for a second on my Switch in a very jarring way. It's one of my favourite racing games, so I wouldn't mind a little bit of stutter, but the way it runs on my SwOLED is tragic.

Slightly wrong is underselling it; the fog worked the exact opposite way it is supposed to (foggier closer to the player rather than further away); but yes, the inconsistant lag in F-Zero X is the biggest remaining error in the app. Let's hope they fix it (and the other remaining errors in other games too, no reason they can't cover it all!)

Back
Top Bottom