• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Kickstarter Will Move Its Crowdfunding Platform to Blockchain

• Thread starter Deleted member 1250
  • Start date
kickstarter is full of so many scams it was only time they moved to the biggest scam of the modern era.

So, uh. I have a question.

What the fuck does this do to actually make Kickstarter a better service? Because all I see is a desperate bid to play to venture capitalists wanting to cash in on the newest tech buzzword. Killing the environment for more capital, what a fucking joke.

Well that's a good way to kill your platform.

Don't think a lot will support this (they better not) and just go to Indiegogo or something.

Can't think of a single benefit to this as a user. I've backed 3 Kickstarter a and I guess I won't back anymore.

So, uh. I have a question.

What the fuck does this do to actually make Kickstarter a better service? Because all I see is a desperate bid to play to venture capitalists wanting to cash in on the newest tech buzzword. Killing the environment for more capital, what a fucking joke.
It's just the new dot com bubble. Just like adding dot com to your company name in the late 90s was the ticket to get rich, companies are inclined to include buzzwords like NFT, blockchain and other nonsense to attract investors.

When it bursts it will leave a lot of companies/people in the dust.

Well, I guess that makes the wonderful 101 Kickstarter the last time I support the platform then. A high note to end on, at least.

Missed this earlier today, I’ll never back a Kickstarter again if they go through with this.

Well they're both full of scams, so it's a good fit.

More seriously, though, this does a huge disservice to the legitimate projects on Kickstarter. They shouldn't have to suffer this association. Hopefully either Kickstarter comes to their senses or everything migrates to an alternative.

Depends on the blockchain.

This could be bad or could be good. I wouldn’t rush to judgement til we hear the details.
What could be good about this? Honest question, I simply can't imagine what kind of benefit this is supposed to bring to anyone.

Depends on the blockchain.

This could be bad or could be good. I wouldn’t rush to judgement til we hear the details.
Well, we have some details, Kickstarter's planned blockchain, Celo, may claim to be carbon-negative, but their plans primarily revolve around planting trees and providing incentives to offset their energy generating effects. Which...isn't truly sustainable? You're still ruining the environment, you're just compensating for it after the fact when you can just...not do that.

But even ignoring the environmental impact, I still don't see how this provides anything that Kickstarter cannot already do with traditional means. It's a transparent attempt of trying to scrounge up capital because capitalism requires endless, unsustainable growth.

Fucking

HOW

Kickstarter, can you explain, in clear, plain language, how it benefits creators? Because I read your new FAQ and it explains nothing:
What does this new protocol mean for creators?

The first thing to know is that Kickstarter’s mission remains the same: Kickstarter exists to help bring creative projects to life.

Over time, we believe we can make crowdfunding for creative projects more effective and more available to creators around the world—not by changing the core experience, but by allowing more people to build on top of it, alongside us.

Imagine your dream tool for crowdfunding your project, whether it’s an easier way to get the word out to backers or a tool that takes the headache out of shipping. Now that part of Kickstarter’s underlying technology will be made open and available for everyone to build on, that tool could become a reality. Communities can collaborate to decide on the tools they want to see, build them, and get rewarded for it. One of the things we’re most excited to explore is the possibility of governance by contributors—we imagine a future in which creators can have direct influence over what gets built, for example, by voting on new tools or features. We’re founding an independent governance lab that will focus on ensuring that everyone who contributes to the protocol and ecosystem gets to shape it and benefit from it, creators very much included.

This new protocol will be developed by a new entity, separate from Kickstarter, PBC. We expect creators will benefit from the improvements made via the community’s contributions to the underlying protocol, as well as continued improvements we make to our own platform. Basically, we expect this direction to multiply the impact we’re able to have—getting creators the tools they need to fund their projects, and helping backers find and support those projects more easily.

We invite you to come along on this journey with us. We’d love to hear about the tools for creators and backers you’d most like to see as the protocol becomes a reality—you can send us thoughts at [email protected].
So, how is ANY OF THIS something that requires blockchain technology? If you're trying to sell me on the benefits of using blockchain, you might want to explain how blockchain actually figures into benefitting the platform. Things like decentralized tools are not inherent to blockchain. Community collaboration and building of platforms are not inherent to blockchain. What about opening up the platform to open source development and contribution? Doesn't sound like something that requires blockchain. This does nothing to convince me that this isn't just a grift to get more money and more growth.

Back
Top Bottom