• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Kanto battle: Red/Blu vs FireRed/LeafGreen vs Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

• Thread starter Deleted member 2551
  • Start date

What is, in your opinion, the best take on the Kanto games?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 2551

I am currently replaying all the gen 3 games and after finishing Emerald I went back to FRLG and... it's actually far better than I remember it being?

Pretty nice artstyle (I think better than RSE), lots of content (Sevii islands are awesome) and a nice slate of pretty nice QoL improvements over the originals.

And then, to me, it made LGPE even worse. They feature some nice QoL over any other version of Kanto, but I think they also feature the most "shallow" content of the three takes on Kanto.

Thoughts?

EDIT: this is how the game looks on a modded GBA SP with the FunnyPlaying V3 IPS screen by the way, I think it's superb!

IAZ1JNG.jpg

FRLG easily. LGPE has a mix of good and bad additions, and RBY have the most dated gameplay in the series. FRLG mostly preserves the "feeling" of RBY with better gameplay and adds a big postgame that really rounds it out nicely.

Personally, I don't enjoy FRLG. The main reason is the music. It's just not as good as the other two alternatives. Let's Go is my personal favorite. Being able to walk alongside any Pokémon and not having random encounters makes the world feel more alive.

Absolutely FRLG, I love Red, Blue, and Yellow but there are some issues that were easily fixed in Gen 2 and 3, with all of the added benefits that were introduced in those 2 Gens easily make this the better remake.

Edit: The two thing that holds Let's Go P/E for me is the fact you can't battle wild Pokemon, I know they balanced the game around catching pokemon instead of battling them, but I just don't find that enjoyable, that and I don't like the motion controls that are required to catch the pokemon.

Last edited:
LGPE were my favorite Pokemon games ever until Arceus came out. They are basically perfect as far as I’m concerned. I have lots of love and nostalgia for both RBY and FRLG, but Let’s Go can’t be topped for me.

Never played the GB games. If LGPE had pro controller support it’d be close, but as it stands FRLG clears

I'd love to know the reason from people voting the OG game, I personally think they are by far the worst games in the series.

FRLG was my second Pokémon game so it'll probably always be that. I liked sevii islands so their absence in LGPE was disappointing as was the rival but LGPE was also cute as hell with Eevee & Pikachu and is the best looking 3D Pokémon imo.
I'd love to know the reason from people voting the OG game, I personally think they are by far the worst games in the series.
tbf they were amazing for a first try at the formula, and they are the giants all other Pokémon and Pokémon-like games stand upon.

FRLG's adoption of more modern mechanics makes them friendlier to people who've started on newer games, but there wasn't much consideration of how the originals were balanced around aspects like speed-based crits, unified Special, stat exp, etc, which also extends to bugbears like limited movepools and lack of abilities. This results in a lot of annoyances like frequent Poison Point and Static triggers in the early and mid game, Bulbasaur's line lacking a good STAB due to Razor Leaf's nerf, Pokémon that relied on Slash getting nerfed, the Gastly line losing their most easily exploitable weakness, etc

These are all basically the best the series has to offer. Obviously Red and Blue are the best, but for second place I'd give it to Let's Go Pikachu for evolving the mainline games for the first time in decades and eventually giving us Arceus. Absolutely still play Fire Red and Leaf Green, though.

Fire Red and Leaf Green are the best because they have the best mods. Playing Fire Red with the All Pokemon and Randomizer hacks is the most exquisite of experiences.

I still say FireRed & LeafGreen are some of the better looking games in the franchise. And Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee are the best looking Pokemon games on the Switch.
However, it's the inclusion of the Sevii Islands that really seals FireRed & LeafGreen being the definitive Kanto for me.

FRLG for me.

Aside from some instruments in the soundtrack, they're the definitive Kanto experience imo, with the inclusion of the Sevii islands being the icing in the cake.

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee get a respectable second place. They don't have as much content and the catching mechanics are pretty much experimental, but they feel like a very solid experience, and the Go catching was a very welcome change of pace.

Pokemon yellow for me, the original one. It was my first pokemon game, so i have a ton of nostalgia for it. Fire red was pretty great too, but my heart will always choose the original yellow

Personally, I don't enjoy FRLG. The main reason is the music. It's just not as good as the other two alternatives. Let's Go is my personal favorite. Being able to walk alongside any Pokémon and not having random encounters makes the world feel more alive.
Precisely why Let's Go gets my vote. I just can't do random encounters anymore. Every single cave and ocean section are an absolute pain to do.

Hopefully they do Let's Go Johto.

FRLG are worse than the originals. Just took them and infused them with a bucket of BLAND

Let’s Go are pretty and have overworld Pokémon and rides, so that’s something, and the originals are super quirky and fun in their own way.

FRLG had that feature where it summarized the five last big things you accomplished since your last save, and not once have I EVER seen that utilized or replicated in any other game, and that goes beyond Pokémon.

It was nifty when I was young, but as an adult with fleeting free time that kind of recap would be immensely useful for any games I drop for weeks if not months for when I pick it back up

Back
Top Bottom