• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro I've been collecting and archiving raw game trailers and videos, and you can help!

Hero of Legend

Like Like
Pronouns
He/Him
New forum, new place to get more help for this project of mine!

For many months I've spent doing 1080p and more recently 4K upscales of game trailers and the like on YouTube. This is a long and tiring process (especially when so many vids came out with issues). In my work, I discovered archive.org where I found a lot of those trailers at.

Then it finally hit me; what if I contributed? :O And so I have!

So far I've put up 58 vids as of right now. From the source logo animations of Next Level Games (a very welcome new addition to Nintendo's merry band), to HQ HD vids from IGN of yore like from E3 2006, to old no longer easy to obtain .flv files (thanks to the death of flash and the kill switch that came with it). It's been a long road, but the spoils have been worth it! Plus I've gotten some help from folks around.

That's where you guys come in. got old vids downloaded ages ago collecting dust in your HDD's? Bring them here! You can also just make your own account and do that yourself if you'd like, but right now I'm just trying to round up what cool vids I can find and let all freely see them without that horrific YouTube compression.

One thorn in my side is GameTrailers' catalogue. With their closure, their old videos are SUPER hard to obtain. I had the Discipline WiiWare TGS 2008 trailer handy from the raw file I uploaded to YouTube that Google Takeout gave back to me (love this feature to death). If you got a YouTube channel with raw videos on it and feel like trying Takeout to reobtain them, give it a consideration!

So yeah, let's do this! :D

You really should try looking through Press CDs if you have the chance. the early to late 2000s ones are more likely to contain video files. Some examples i can think of include one for House Of The Dead Overkill (scroll down), and the THQ ECTS 1999 disc.

Quality might not be the best in all of them, though.
There was also a few DVDs containing high quality video as well. Like this one made for E3.
51KSZ4ZYDQL.jpg

You really should try looking through Press CDs if you have the chance. the early to late 2000s ones are more likely to contain video files. Some examples i can think of include one for House Of The Dead Overkill (scroll down), and the THQ ECTS 1999 disc.

Quality might not be the best in all of them, though.
There was also a few DVDs containing high quality video as well. Like this one made for E3.
51KSZ4ZYDQL.jpg

Oh I have! I upscaled many trailers from those (look in my 1080p and 4K links in the OP). But properly splitting the trailers and retaining the 4:3 aspect ratio and quality isn't that easy. Avidemux can do it via the copy function for video and audio, but the aspect ratio comes out as the original 720x480 res, meaning you'd have to use your player to make them 4:3. The DVDs are native 720x480, but are defaulted to displaying the proper 4:3 aspect ratio.

I have the DVD trailers for Donkey Kong Racing, Raven Blade, and Kameo at least ripped this way as full-quality .mp4 files that look 1:1 with the DVD source in quality, but again are in the 720x480 aspect ratio. If folks don't mind the extra step, I can upload those to the account.

I'm glad to see this thread made it over. Sadly I don't have much to add in terms of content, but I'm looking forward to seeing all those shiny HQ videos.

This might have some good stuff in it. @Hero of Legend

Most of it is probably art as the Tweet notes, but 30 gigs should be more than enough space to store a few videos.
Hopefully they can get it dumped within the next few weeks!

This might have some good stuff in it. @Hero of Legend

Most of it is probably art as the Tweet notes, but 30 gigs should be more than enough space to store a few videos.
Hopefully they can get it dumped within the next few weeks!

Oooh, hope the folks do clean rips for archive.org. Thanks for the heads up! :)

BTW, I had a breakthrough today; I can now rip and properly segment trailers from DVDs in 1:1 quality! :D

My first uploads might interest folks,make sure you download the .mkv files (click "Matroska"):

Edit: 3 more:

Last edited:
I have a few DVD's from back in the day. Just pulled one out:

img_20211026_181451olkm4.jpg

Not sure if there is something on these disks that's not on the archive already but I can check later tonight.

What's a good method of ripping videos from DVDs? Found my copies of NFS Most Wanted CE and NFS Carbon CE and they both have their bonus DVDs. If you're intrested in third-party stuff, there's probably a few trailers on both discs.

You know I'm gonna be pissed if my internet connection drops in the last minute lol :ROFLMAO:

img_20211026_200448arkxy.jpg

Still hoping we get a high quality video of the Pokemon Battle Revolution cg reveal trailer one day... :(
Hell, my white whale is just the source 240p footage from the irwebcasting stream. I recorded it a decade ago but lost the footage. My YouTube upload was a recovered 1080p upscale of a direct capture but that's all I have sadly. :(

You're doing great work man, wish I had some trailer with which I could contribute. But in my case, all I have are the raw E3 pictures since (I think 2011) from Nintendo. Any interest in those?

You're doing great work man, wish I had some trailer with which I could contribute. But in my case, all I have are the raw E3 pictures since (I think 2011) from Nintendo. Any interest in those?
I've collected all of Nintendo's E3 press site assets in my Mediafire account since around that time. For whatever reason their E3 2021 stuff wasn't in a special site this time, just grouped with the standard stuff they usually put out.

Aside from that... have more 2005 conferences! Plus a bonus!

Is there any Gamecube reveal videos you or anybody else has? I'd like a better quality version of the Gamecube reveal or maybe some sort of reveal at E3.

Fifth Phantom Saga?!

16215b0d68534384c4f0ff7be0c2e3a91c2fe069.gif

Amazing work btw!
Indeed, and I just published my 4K60 (regular) upscale of it:

This is legit the best upload of the trailer to date, and trust me, I've looked.

Is there any Gamecube reveal videos you or anybody else has? I'd like a better quality version of the Gamecube reveal or maybe some sort of reveal at E3.
Sadly no. Clean footage of Spaceworld 2000 where it was revealed (or was it Shoshinkai) seem to be near non-existent.

I said in another thread that I found IGN's 480p 30fps watermarked upload of Nintendo's E3 2006 conference:

And also I'm looking for GC Cafe's E3 2006 DVD. Does anyone have that somehow? Plus I want to find that download of Nintendo's E3 2006 conference from File Planet and VG Pro with the filename "e32006_pc_nintendo_800k.wmv". It's over 300MB so I'm not certain if it's 480p, it might e 240p. Hope it's the former.

I bring a couple of special things!

I purchased two trailer asset DVDs from TGS 2005; one from Capcom, and one from Sega!

And both are now up on archive.org for all to enjoy!

Sad news is that neither have any PS3 or 360 games despite that being a pretty important showing of both systems (and the damn reason I bought these! The seller couldn't test them to check). But I'm sure there's a lot of HQ trailers of GC/XB/PS2, PSP, DS, and GBA games folks can find and enjoy!

So enjoy these new additions to the preservation archives! Funny thing is that while I saw the Capcom one on another site, the Sega one I found by "accident" when trying to find any DVDs showcasing Sega's HD stuff at TGS 2005. There's ZERO other record of this DVD even existing!

Started to finally upload 4K60 versions of the conferences. For now I have Nintendo's E3 2004 conference up:

How does it compare to the 1080p one from before? Anyone with 4K monitors able to get a good look?

Now I'm trying again to find a similar-quality source of Nintendo's E3 2006 conference, but Next Gen Videos shut down before they made a DVD for 2006 of all years.

CARSLOCK on YouTube might have such a file, assuming the uploaded file was interlaced and YT auto-deintrlaced it into strictly 30fps. But I can't find a clear way to contact the person as every place I can find the person at, has been dark for years. Hope the person's alright.

There was an announced DVD called the E-mpire E3xperience 2006 Free DVD but there's no evidence that it even came out.

There's surely a high-quality source file that can still be 60fps, either from a DVD or was provided by Nintendo or a 3rd-party. It's just getting said file to be a herculean effort. Anyone here able to help?

EDIT: WOAH WAIT A MINUTE!

Checking now!

Holy shit, this could be a Christmas miracle. It's a DVD of sorts with the conference. I have to check the download when it finishes to verify, but this could be IT!

Uploaded less than a month ago too! Crazy! o_O

Here's the rip. Oddly it's not interlaced but seems to be THE highest-quality version there is otherwise:

It's weird it's not interlaced, since surely a 60fps source exists, as the ONM E3 2006 DVD actually has a 50Hz interlaced version of the Wii game montage from the conference. I uploaded a 1080p upscaled deinterlaced version here months back:

So who knows.

The E3 2006 4K60 upload is processing. It'll be a few hours at least until the 4K version is ready.

Again it's not interlaced so you're stuck with a 30fps source (I still doubled the framerate because apparently it preserves better that way I'm told).

Hope it's still the best there is. Seems to be.

The E3 2006 4K60 upload is processing. It'll be a few hours at least until the 4K version is ready.

Again it's not interlaced so you're stuck with a 30fps source (I still doubled the framerate because apparently it preserves better that way I'm told).

Hope it's still the best there is. Seems to be.
Thanks! Such a blast from the past to be able to watch these again at such high quality. E3 2004 is the first one i ever caught live on g4/tech tv

Hard to believe it's been 15 years, but what a showcase that was 👌
I remember catching it in bits during school. Mostly just remember the Red Steel bits. Then I remember chance waking at like 5 in the morning and then BAM, SMASH!

Nintendo Life featured @Hero of Legend 's hard work in an article today:

Awesome shout out, mega kudos dude!
YEAH! Forgot to bring it up here! :p

Views really shot up, now at around 2,500 with over 100 likes. Crazy. It's great actually getting more spread appreciation and enjoyment out of my vids. Hope my initiative maybe gets more awareness also somehow.

Nintendo's 2002 and 2003 conferences are now up!

Got some cool stuff brewing for a new year's drop. 👀

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom