• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion It's four Generations in since the introduction of the Fairy-type. What do you think of it?

winstein

Bob-omb
It can be easy to not realise it, but it's already 10 years since Pokemon X & Y were released, and alongside it, the introduction of the Fairy-type. The introduction is notable because it was the first time a new type was introduced, ever since Generation 2 graced us with Dark- and Steel-type. Due to the new type, it brings to the table exciting new possibilities in not only what kind of Pokemon could be introduced, but also some retypings since certain Pokemon were mentioned in its announcement.

With such a major development in Pokemon, it's certainly not without justification, though, because back in Generation 5, Dragon-types reigned supreme for their sheer power and the overall strength of the Pokemon and their moves. Basically, not only are Dragon-types blessed with many powerful Pokemon with high stats, where several of them are even legendary Pokemon, they also get high-powered moves to abuse that power like Outrage and Draco Meteor. To compound on this, the only type that resists it is Steel, which because of this, coverage is easily packed to go around them. Did I mention that Dragon-types tend to get ample coverage options, such as Fire attacks?

When Fairy-type was introduced, one of the first things they've showcased about them is their advantage against Dragon-types. In the video I posted, they are shown to have a super-effective advantage against them. What wasn't quite shown was that they are immune to Dragon attacks, which means they have a dominant advantage against them. I could not find the portion where a developer mentioned they won't mess with the overall powerfulness of the Dragon-type beyond the Fairy addition, but I feel like they did mention that they won't meddle with them. (True to their words, the Dragon-type didn't change beyond balance changes regarding the Fairy-type. It's the Steel-type that got the change to have less resistances)

Beyond the Dragon advantage of Fairy-types, they've also dealt with certain other types that they could deal with, and what types counter them. The Fighting- and Dark-types now have a new weak type, while Poison- and Steel-type have a new type they dominate against. Some of these were sound changes, where Fighting-types were also dominant in the previous Generation while Poison-types were previously below average in terms of usefulness. For Dark-type, it's interesting how after Steel stop resisting them, Fairy stepped up the plate to fill that gap. In a few ways, Fairy could technically represent the Light type that many were clamouring for.

Personally speaking, I think Fairy-type is a very solid addition to the series and I am glad they did that. It addressed a flaw in the type chart so its introduction is justified, it brings new possibilities for new Pokemon, and it shakes up the game in a cool way. I feel that one thing I am not wholly satisfied with Fairy is that not enough old Pokemon were converted to this new typing. There were a lot of possibilities on who could get this new type, but all-in-all, the quantity of Pokemon were lacking. For example, I would've liked Misdreavus and Mismagius to get the new type, and Audino could benefit from it too.

So what do you think of the Fairy-type now that enough time's passed?

Thank you for reading.

Audino could benefit from it too.
Now that you mention it, I hadn’t realized Audino wasn’t a fairy type. That seems like a major typing oversight!

There’s still a lot of things I want to fix with the Pokemon type chart, but yeah I think the introduction of Fairy type as a counter to the offensive powerhouses of Fighting and Dragon types was ingenious. I think you’ve done a great job of explaining the mechanical side of the Fairy type, so I’ll go into the theming instead.

One of the most requested types before Gen VI was Light type, you know, the counterpart to Dark that would cover angelic beings and holy beasts, which are staples in other JRPGs. I think it’s incredibly cool that Pokemon didn’t go the obvious route! It fought against the pervasive Disney-fied perception of fairies and invoked the “beautifully ephemeral but cryptic and deadly” appeal of the fae. There’s also something viscerally pleasing about a cotton candy dog dominating a giant dragon.

TLDR Fairy types are cool

Now that you mention it, I hadn’t realized Audino wasn’t a fairy type. That seems like a major typing oversight!
Yeah, Audino was not changed, but Mega Audino is the one that got the Fairy-type. I wonder if this is the developer's way in saying that they wish that they made the decision when they were able.

Similarly, it's Flutter Mane (Misdreavus' past Paradox) that got the Fairy treatment instead of the original, though I wish that the originals were typed like that because they were overall having some heavy competition with Gengar.

Thank you for reading.

I don’t mind the Fairy type in theory - it gave Steel and Poison much needed buffs (and kinda Fire in terms of resistances), and it kept Dragons from dominating the meta, but instead I feel like the meta is now just… dominated by Fairy and Steel instead?

I wish also conceptually Fairy types drew more from rich fairy tale lore instead of just “it’s cute and pink so it’s Fairy type” (though I do love Grimmsnarl so there’s that). I also don’t think it needed to be strong against both Fighting and Dark in addition to Dragon - just one of those would be fine (poor Scrafty). Also, did we really need another type that resists Bug? I’m pretty sure Bug is the most resisted type in the game now, or at least tied with Grass.

I wouldn’t remove the Fairy type, as tbh I’m not sure there’s an ideal equilibrium where all types actually are relatively equal without rewriting the game, but I think the execution is a mixed bag. Also, why does Ice still suck ass defensively?

They overcorrected and made it too powerful mechanically. It basically just became the type for pink and/or cute stuff. And weirdly also food-based Pokémon? Meh

I wish also conceptually Fairy types drew more from rich fairy tale lore instead of just “it’s cute and pink so it’s Fairy type”
Definitely agree with this. Fairies can be creepy too!

as tbh I’m not sure there’s an ideal equilibrium where all types actually are relatively equal without rewriting the game,
I'm sure there is. Would have to rework the entire chart, which I would honestly like to happen. Like, it's high time Grass gets renamed to Plant. It still drives me crazy to this day.

It's cute and Togekiss is my favorite fluffy flinch machine. I still have trouble internalizing the fairy type weaknesses / strengths though. Sometimes I just forget that Fairy is supereffective against Fighting and keep clicking Psychic instead of Moonblast, oops.

I'm sure there is. Would have to rework the entire chart, which I would honestly like to happen. Like, it's high time Grass gets renamed to Plant. It still drives me crazy to this day.
The tough part is that there are factors external to the type chart itself that influence this too. Like you said for example, dragon was strong not just because of the balancing but also because of the Pokémon and the moves. They can rebalance the type chart if they want (and they should), but all it takes is a couple of busted mons being introduced to throw it all out of whack again

Tbh, I haven't really been too into the Pokemon from this type so far, but I like the idea of the type in general. I think a fairy/dragon type would be really cool. I'd also like to see more fairy/bug types, Cutiefly is probably my favorite fairy type Pokemon so far.

The tough part is that there are factors external to the type chart itself that influence this too
Yep. The big one is Ice type being suited for glass cannon types but the majority of Ice Pokemon are slow as molasses.

I do think we can rework the type chart first and then adjust the other stuff as needed.

Literally, the best Pokemon type of them all. Not only are most of them super cute, but several of the greatest Pokemon of all time are Fairy type, like Sylveon, Mimikyu, and Tinkaton! While the type does have its detractors, the vast majority of them simply feel an intense jealousy over how good it is. Strong and cute, fairies are the best!

I like it a lot. Dachsbun, Togekiss, and Sylveon are of my favorite Pokemon and I find that it's just a very useful type to have on your team. I almost always have one on my squad.

Yep. The big one is Ice type being suited for glass cannon types but the majority of Ice Pokemon are slow as molasses.

I do think we can rework the type chart first and then adjust the other stuff as needed.
Yeah lol. Ice and rock being great offensive types but mostly being slow and bulky is a criminal offense. When you break the mold you get great stuff like Weavile and Chien-Pao

The thing is though that the types being contextualized kinda prevents perfect balancing though. Like it makes sense that bugs would be weak and dragons strong for example. Or if you're making a creature that's literally made of rocks, it's pretty natural for it to be designed slow and bulky. Covering the full spectrum with all the types requires some real out there ideas

I like it, but I do kinda wish it had opened the door to even more types being introduced. Still waiting on “Weird” type to counter-act Normal type.

Also, let’s get some more Eevee forms going! It’s also been 10 years since the last Eevee form, let’s get a fighting type Eevee in here

I'm glad the Fairy type exists, It made Clefable, Azumarill, Gardevoir, Togekiss, and Whimsicott beasts in the metagame. Personally, I wish the Misdreavus line, the Skitty line, and Zoroark were typed as Fairy as they all fit the mystical/fae category.

Also, Ice should have been resistant to Fairy. In folklore, Fairies hate the cold. It'd also make Ice types more viable.

ykjd1450v4551.png

They're pretty cool

it's awesome

still laughing at people calling Sylveon "moe" as if it wasn't designed by a woman intended to be cute to women.

I know Sylveon is considered a trans icon but are the rest really widely considered trans girl icons too or are they just labeled that way for the capitalism joke?

You're misreading it. It's true that Sylveon is a "trans icon", but what the picture is talking about is how those Pokemon are frequently used as icons by trans girls online.

You're misreading it. It's true that Sylveon is a "trans icon", but what the picture is talking about is how those Pokemon are frequently used as icons by trans girls online.
I think they may just be asking if it's true that they're all trans girl icons, or if they're just labeled that way for the joke. Could be wrong

It's true that Sylveon is a "trans icon", but what the picture is talking about is how those Pokemon are frequently used as icons by trans girls online
My brain might be shorting out but I'm not parsing how this is different from what I asked. So basically, yes, trans girls accept them as icons?

I think they may just be asking if it's true that they're all trans girl icons, or if they're just labeled that way for the joke
Ayup

I think they may just be asking if it's true that they're all trans girl icons, or if they're just labeled that way for the joke. Could be wrong
Kinda both honestly, I could see arguments being made for all of those pokemon listed as trans girls icons, even Mawile (which is based off a female yokai with a second mouth in the back of her head).

Like, Hatterene is probably even more trans-coded than Sylveon lol, at least to me.

My brain might be shorting out but I'm not parsing how this is different from what I asked. So basically, yes, trans girls accept them as icons?

Ayup

I guess I read your question as whether they're all "trans icons" (popular characters considered transgender) rather than "characters used as avatars by trans girls".

In any case, yes, I know plenty of trans girls who have used those Pokemon as avatars.

Or maybe I'm still reading your question wrong, and you're asking if they're all "icons" of the trans girl community? In which case the answer is also yes

Last edited:
Kinda both honestly, I could see arguments being made for all of those pokemon listed as trans girls icons, even Mawile (which is based off a female yokai with a second mouth in the back of her head).

Like, Hatterene is probably even more trans-coded than Sylveon lol, at least to me.

images

Bug should at least resist Fairy, it would make sense thematically.

I also don't know why Fairy is strong against Fighting, think it would be better if that was removed
Probably just a balance thing, Fighting was very strong in gen 4 and 5. But I agree Bug should resist Fairy like I said earlier.

it's awesome

still laughing at people calling Sylveon "moe" as if it wasn't designed by a woman intended to be cute to women.
I've never heard of Sylveon being called "moe," but Pokemon, especially Eeveelutions, being cute shouldn't surprise anybody.

Back
Top Bottom