• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion It's almost Q4. What's your GOTY?

It's Monster Hunter Rise, my first Monster Hunter game. Next week I'll be giving 2D Metroid a real try for the first time, maybe that will top it.

Tough question, I'm torn between NEO TWEWY, Mosnter Hunter Rise and Tales of Arise (despite playing just 4 hours of it).

I've logged more hours in Monster Hunter: Rise, but my GOTY has to be NEO: TWEWY.

I was so hyped from its announcement to its early release through the Square-Enix store and the game delivered everything I wanted from a sequel.

Psychonauts 2 right now, although if Eastward sticks the landing it could be up there too. And I expect Metroid Dread and SMTV to give them a run for their money. Honestly those four will probably be my top four for this year.

Hi y'all!

Monster Hunter Rise so far! Could be surpassed by Dread though
Btw Rise's soundtrack is great!

Eastward started pretty strong too though I switched games, I need to go back to it
Btw Minute of Islands was interesting, it wasn't ideal gameplay-wise but it's worth it for the narrative

Great Ace Attorney, at least until Dread comes out. It has been one of the best years ever for me in terms of games. GAA, Skyward Sword HD, i've played Xenoblade 1 for the first time too. And there are still a lot of exciting games coming out in the next few months.

I only played the original Japanese releases, but I imagine it's Great Ace Attorney since nothing I've played this year surpasses that.

It could be Nick All-Stars when that comes out soon though. It looks incredible.

Fuga: Melodies of Steel, strictly counting 2021 releases. More people need to play that game.

So far my list would be.

1. Monster Hunter Rise: It ended up being the best Monster Hunter game ever in my eyes (before that it was 4 Ultimate).

2. Resident Evil Village: I really didn't had this game on my radar as I was a bit disappointed with resi 7. But wow it did blew me away. It was just a pure joy to play.

3. Bravely Default 2: Combat wise the perfect JRPG. Challenging, many classes and fun grinding. Just the story was a bit to boring.

4. Monster Hunter Stories 2: After the first 20 hours this was actually my game of the year but sadly it dragged on to long in the end for my liking.

So yeah capcom really did it for me this year. We will see if Dread and SMTV can still change this list.

I really liked the mass effect definitive edition released earlier this year. On Nintendo side, unless a tragedy happens, it's going to be Metroid.

This is one year where I don't have a clear winner yet, but it will most likely be Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker.

Now I think about it I haven't finished games released this year. I finished Sekiro, but is not a 2021 game. Maybe Demon's Souls? The remake is pretty cool. I would like say Returnal may be GOTY because the gameplay is fantastic, but the lack of a save and quit feature soured my experience with the game.

Of brand new games, not ports or remakes, I would probably say Bravely Default II followed by Monster Hunter Rise.

dgs-dai.gif

(TGAA)

Monster Hunter Stories 2 honestly blew me away. It was so much better than I expected, with tons of depth and a pretty solid story. It actually pushed me to try Monster Hunter proper.

For games that I've beaten for the first time this year, either Ittle Dew 2 or Bowser's Fury.

Speaking of which; Ittle Dew 2 is currently a dollar on a fanatical bundle.

Ender Lilies for me. Up there with my favorite metroidvanias now, maybe even #2 behind Hollow Knight. I love the versatility of the builds, the art style is fantastic, and the soundtrack is really good (hearing Mili did the soundtrack was one of the reasons I checked it out). I was interested in the game before release, but it far exceeded my expectations.

So far itā€™s Chicory, which is criminally underrated. I canā€™t believe no one else has mentioned it yet :( though I get this is a Nintendo forumā€¦

Yeah on Legend. I've beat all the mainline games and I'll say Resurrection is the best in the series, ahead of Ghouls n Ghosts. Really great game. Shame it seems like it didn't do that well sales-wise.
Damn, that's great to hear. I'll pick it up then.

If I go by what game released this year then I'm thinking maybe Final Fantasy 7: Intergrade or Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin. If I go by games I played this year that was new to me then Dragon Quest 11: S absolutely stole the show. What an incredible ride that was. One of the best games I've played in years.

1. Game Builder Garage
2. Nier: Replicant
3. Bowser's Fury
4. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
5. Skyward Sword HD

Really, really curios to see where Dread ends up :)

Been not a great year for me for GOTY, although a few good ones so hereā€™s my current list:

1) Returnal
2) Ender Lilies
3) Iā€™m putting Great Ace Attorney here although Iā€™m not that far in yet, could be higher though!

Andā€¦ thatā€™s kind of it? Some other good but not great games, like Bravely Default 2 and Axiom Verge 2 and Tales of Arise (not done yet but wonā€™t be my GOTY), donā€™t quite make the cut IMO.

I suspect Dread or SMTV will take the top spot before yearā€™s end, most likely.

Somehow I completely forgot Monster Hunter Rise was this year. I guess having another kid and moving will mess with your memory and ability to perceive time.

Anyway yeah so far it's absolutely MHR but I'm hoping Dread can dethrone it.

No More Heroes 3. The more I think about it, the more I like it. It's the same feeling I have with great films. At first I'm like "yeah, ok."
And then somehow I can't stop thinking about it and I realize how incredible it is. So much heart.
It's not what I thought it would be, it's not what I hoped it would be. I don't even think it's as epic as Suda made me think it would be.
And still in the end I think it impressed me and made me think as much as the first one did.

So far, it has to be MH Rise for me. But both Dread and SMTV have the potential to surpass it for me, and I would be surprised if not at least one of them will.

Honourable mentions go to Axiom Verge 2, which is fantastic.

It could have been easily Monster Hunter Rise but the state of which the game released and how much paid DLC they pushed before finishing the base game makes my choice harder and so No More Heroes 3 sprints to the top.

The rest of my favorite games this year were:

Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania
WarioWare: Get It Together!
The Longing
ENDER LILIES: Quietus of the Knights
Eastward
UnMetal
Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!
There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension
Nintendo Spielestudio

Right now, still Rampage: Rise of the Monster Hunter, though it doesn't have as strong a claim as I thought at the start of the year it would.

Last edited:
so far this year i'd say monster hunter rise. just insanely good release, plays and looks great on switch. and i'm sure i'll be right back here next year listing out sunbreak at the top of my list as well haha.

honorable mentions:
  • no more heroes 3 - very close to the top of my list
  • new pokemon snap - super fun
  • the great ace attorney - still need to finish
most miserable gaming experience that i still kind of liked but get very mad thinking about:
  • miitopia (65 hours)

Current top 5 after beating Eastward šŸ˜µ

Monhun Rise
Eastward
RE Village
Pokemon Snap
Deathloop

It's definitely the best (2021) single player game I've played this year, such a good experience. Dread approaches....

Monster hunter rise for me, wonderful game, I wish it had a better support post launch, but I had so much fun with it. I was able to introduce mh to my son and it was awesome to play with him and teach him the gameplay.

Haven't really sorted through what would be top of my list, but here are the standouts:
  • Bravely Default II: My first game in this series and I thought it had one of the most engaging job systems I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I love how the game revels in the brokenness of its abilities and the synergies you can achieve. The game makes it so easy to get inspired by different ability combinations with how it introduces new jobs and shows you all the abilities you can work towards from the get-go. It makes it easy to get addicted to theory crafting and leveling-up to make that into a reality.
  • NEO: The World Ends With You: Absolutely stellar follow-up to the DS original. Game oozes with the same signature style backed-up by an absolutely banger soundtrack (will easily be the OST of the year for me). I'm happy that the new characters were so well realized that I was able to fall in love with them as much as the original cast, it made getting through some of the slower parts of the game less of a slog. Really enjoyed the battle system once I learned how to manage the chaos and build-up my Groove meter consistently.
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition: This is my first time playing the series. I always wanted to jump-in based on all the love shown by its fandom, but the stars never really aligned for me to find time to play this series over other games. So far I understand why people fell in love with this universe after finishing the first two games. I know I'm playing something special when I was already thinking about a Renegade play through. Excellent world-building, great characters that you can't help but feel invested in and feel like they are actually part of your crew. I took a break and am slowly getting through the final entry in the trilogy. I know the controversy around the ending, but I'm more of a value the journey over the destination kind of guy so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Haven't really sorted through what would be top of my list, but here are the standouts:
  • Bravely Default II: My first game in this series and I thought it had one of the most engaging job systems I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I love how the game revels in the brokenness of its abilities and the synergies you can achieve. The game makes it so easy to get inspired by different ability combinations with how it introduces new jobs and shows you all the abilities you can work towards from the get-go. It makes it easy to get addicted to theory crafting and leveling-up to make that into a reality.
  • NEO: The World Ends With You: Absolutely stellar follow-up to the DS original. Game oozes with the same signature style backed-up by an absolutely banger soundtrack (will easily be the OST of the year for me). I'm happy that the new characters were so well realized that I was able to fall in love with them as much as the original cast, it made getting through some of the slower parts of the game less of a slog. Really enjoyed the battle system once I learned how to manage the chaos and build-up my Groove meter consistently.
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition: This is my first time playing the series. I always wanted to jump-in based on all the love shown by its fandom, but the stars never really aligned for me to find time to play this series over other games. So far I understand why people fell in love with this universe after finishing the first two games. I know I'm playing something special when I was already thinking about a Renegade play through. Excellent world-building, great characters that you can't help but feel invested in and feel like they are actually part of your crew. I took a break and am slowly getting through the final entry in the trilogy. I know the controversy around the ending, but I'm more of a value the journey over the destination kind of guy so I'm sure I'll be fine.
You described exactly what i loved about Bravely Default II. Sure, you could abuse Godspeed Strike, but I had so much more fun finding other synergies and exploiting them and just absolutely decimating bosses. I loved this game and might even play it again sometime.

Also I could not get enough of B'n D. That game was comfy crack. I would pay for a atandalone eShop version of B'n D with online support.

d8z6qsm-d38cafb9-9a69-41a4-b140-383e1c5b4823.gif

If I insist that the Great Ace Attorney is the best game released this year, pray forgive the discourtesy.

Itā€™s gotta be Psychonauts 2 for me. I have not played a game that just bursts with as much creativity since the Mario Galaxy games.

Back
Top Bottom