• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion It's almost Q4. What's your GOTY?

So far Monster Hunter Rise, but the only 2021 game I've played that's put up a big fight is Resident Evil Village. Need to get around to Bravely Default II and Psychonauts 2 soon, and playing through 3D World now so Bowser's Fury is coming up. Shin Megami Tensei V is something I'm really looking forward to, could definitely become my GOTY.

Monster Hunter Rise, that game made me lose so many sleep lol.
Still waiting for Metroid Dread and SMTV but it's gonna be hard to choose.

damn, bowsers fury was this year? lol feels like so long ago.

sable
bowsers fury
psychonauts 2
mario golf

in that order

The first 2 hours alone of Sable made me feel ways I haven't felt in a very long time with video games. I don't even care how it progresses or turns out after this point because those first two hours and my experience with it is so much more meaningful than whatever comes after that might do it harm. Though there's no reason to think it's gonna get worse :)

on-topic;
There's a whole lot of 2021 games I started but a lot that I didn't feel the need to finish because they didn't really grab me:
-3D World (already finished on WIi U)
-Bowser's Fury - It's fun and engaging but it didn't quite click.
-Disco Elysium: Final Cut - just not my type of game.
-Psychonauts 2 - it's fun and it plays well, looks great, but it's very American in writing and its themes and story, plus the inability to skip dialogue (you have to watch the entire thing be said even though I can read the subtitles 3-4x in the same time) just makes it feel like a slug to me sadly.
-Kena - didn't grab me at all. world's best looking ps2 game.

then some I still need to play or complete but I need to be in the right mood
-Little Nightmares 2
-RE Village
-Sable
-Spelunky 2
-Deathloop
-Loop Hero
-Forgotten City

That leaves me with picking games that I did play and finish:
New Pokémon Snap
Skyward Sword HD
Haven Park

Out of those 3 Pokémon Snap is my fav and automatic GOTY, but the other two are wonderful too.

Disclaimer
There's like 10 non-2021 games that I played and completed.

My Game of the Year is Monster Hunter Rise .

My top five are :
Monster Hunter Rise - basically everything I could have wanted from a new monster hunter , the wirebug and switch skills system basically makes it play like nothing I’ve experienced before and I love every moment of it .
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - Proved how much Ace Attorney has had a desperate need for a whole new cast of characters with new motivations , personality quirks , arcs . Herlock Sholmes is my fave character of the year
Deltarune Chapter 2 - Not much to be said here for me except how does Toby Fox keep doing it, it’s another experience I feel I just can’t get anywhere else in gaming
It Takes Two - It’s almost entirely baffling that hazelight managed to so expertly nail not only making a 3d platformer where so so many have not gotten it right but also to nail coop to boot
New Pokemon Snap - I had so so many doubts for years about what would happen if they ever made a new pokemon snap , but New Pokemon Snap exceeded every expectation and quashed any doubts I had about the return of pokemon snap . It’s definitely my feel good game of the year even if not my “Game of the Year”

2021 Games:
  1. Super Mario 3d World + Bowsers Fury: was by far the most fun I had playing any game.
  2. Psychonauts 2: really solid 3d platformer, feast of the sense was one of the best levels of any 3d platformer. but overall it didnt live up to the original. The original probably was the best 3d platformer when it came out, but since then 5 new 3d Marios came out, and Psychonauts 2 isnt better than any of those.
  3. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart: Best looking game ever? Really enjoyed the 2nd half of this game, the first half felt to much of a repeat of the 2016 remake...but then it turned into Uncharted and was pretty impressive.

Up next:
  • Metroid Dread: Expecting this to take top spot
  • Deathloop
  • Kena

Non- 2021 Games:
  • Hades: Started in 2020, but finished in 2021. One of my favorite games ever (but still would put it below 3d World).
  • Metroid Zero Mission: I had only played the original and Super Metroid as a kid (100% Super Metroid, but never got through the NES version). Loved this, but its the only 2d one i havent 100%-ed at this point...didnt love all the pixel perfect shinesparking to get 100%.
  • Metroid Fusion: Least favorite 2d Metroid...was super fun to play through, but didnt love the linear-ness. 100%-ed
  • Metroid Samus Returns: So excited for Dread...loved the movement and combat, but felt a bit repetitive. 100%-ed

Monster Hunter Stories 2 honestly blew me away. It was so much better than I expected, with tons of depth and a pretty solid story. It actually pushed me to try Monster Hunter proper.
Same here, really got caught off-guard by how good this game was. I never played a MH game before, not even Stories 1, jumped into this expecting just to kill some time, and boom here I am placing it as my current GOTY. Dread and SMT V are expected to be in the running though, but they have a high bar to pass now.

I love Pokemon, and this basically feels like Pokemon on steroids. The battle system is super addictive...they somehow made even the random trivial encounters a blast to fight through. The mini-puzzle element of breaking through the monster's defenses and reading their "stance" changes added a really interesting element over the traditional Pokemon element-weakness dynamic.

The animations are also super satisfying...never got old watching my character or monsties execute their attacks. The story, world, NPCs are all brimming with charm. I'm kinda impatient and never really interact with NPCs in JRPGs, but I made a point to talk to everyone in this game. Just a fun vibe all around.

So far my top contenders are No More Heroes 3, Neo TWEWY, and Resident Evil 8.

Deathloop is climbing up the ranks, but unless something goes horrible wrong, Metroid Dread (or maybe SMT5...) will hopefully take the top spot for me. Ideally, it's more of a fight for my no. 2 spot. I've got plenty to play upcoming and in my backlog.

Right now not including ports it's New Pokemon Snap. Metroid might pass it but I feel like I will suck at escaping the EMMIs. I will preface this I have a few games released this year in my backlog so some being posted in here I haven't played yet. I'm working too much.

Well mine is King's Bounty II, which is a great combination of adventure game coupled with tactical turn based fights.

Monster Hunter Rise is very close though.

But I expect all of them to be blown away by Shin Megami Tensei V. This game looks delicious.

Rise as of now but I feel like either Dread or SMTV might unseat it. Or ReBoot Camp depending on how well done it is tbh.

Tough - probably Psychonauts 2.

Rise was great, but not really GotY material by my tastes.
And despite owning Bowser's Fury, I never got around to playing it. :X

Dread and SMTV are the last opportunities to take the spot.

Currently New Pokémon Snap but I haven’t played everything I want.

I think the three biggest ones I’ve missed so far are:
Returnal, too expensive and I’m waiting for a good price on a physical copy.

Psychonauts 2, also too expensive, $90 digital only when retail is always like $20 cheaper here. Hopefully it’s in a PSN sale before the end of the year.

Resident Evil Village, only started this series a couple of months ago, so I’ll get to this when I get to it! Played 1, 4, 5 and 6 so far, and playing 2 (remake) now, so after that, 3 and 7 it’s Village’s time.

I think Metroid is the only unreleased game super in the running for me. Have it preordered though.
SMTV too maybe, but I’ve never played an SMT (have played Persona 3-5 though). Think I’ll play 3 and 4 before this so won’t get to it for years probably.

I haven’t played any game released this year so🤷🏾‍♂️

I’m going to have to look over what I played this year to really sort it out, but I know Bowser’s Fury is going to be on there for sure. I haven’t had that much fun playing a Mario game in a long ass time.

Hell, I’ll extend that to gaming in general. I could not stop smiling every time I booted it up.

Resident Evil Village. I absolutely loved that game. There’s only a couple of other games releasing this year that has a chance of passing it and that’s Metroid Dread and Halo: Infinite. I doubt Halo will do it, but I’m a huge Metroid fan so Dread has high potential.

Back
Top Bottom