• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion It's almost Q4. What's your GOTY?

D

Deleted member 2

Mine has got to be New Pokemon Snap, but I have a feeling Metroid Dread or Shin Megami Tensei V might take that spot.

Holy shit, well ok. Thanks!
I started a Google Sheet of information from my franchise, such as who wins each division, who wins league MVP, who wins each conference, and who wins the overall championship. Makes it even more immersive.

Bowser's Fury for now. I imagine that will change soonish...

Psychonauts 2! It's amazing and if you like 3d platformers you NEED to play it. Much tighter platforming than Psychnonauts 1.

So far I gotta say Monster Hunter Rise. My first MH game and absolutely loving it. My girlfriend and her sisters all play it together. It’s really awesome playing in a group of 4 like that!

Neo The World Ends With You is my current GotY. Felt like I was right at home after loving the original on DS way back when. Metroid Dread is pretty much the only thing that could compete with it for my favorite game this year.

I mean, I love New Pokemon Snap and still plan on sinking a further 20 hours into it, but right now I think I gotta give credit to Monster Hunter Rise.

It's definitely Justin Tucker.

I mean Metroid Dread.

Wait, no, I actually meant Justin Tucker.

Monster Hunter Rise for sure. Was hoping Tales of Arise would over take it, but nahhhhh.

I have high hopes that SMTV ends up my GotY when all the dust settles.

Currently it's NEO: The World Ends With You, but I anticipate either Dread or SMT V taking the top spot by the end of the year

For a *drought* year, there has been so much killer software, it's unreal. Right now I think it has to be Monster Hunter Rise. It's just so good, I absolutely love the movement options introduced by the wirebug and the new silkbind attacks. Big fan of World but I havent touched it since Rise launched and I kind of fear going back in case that's it, Rise has broken it 😂

Not on a nintendo system , but honorable mention goes to Residen Evil Village, I think Capcom have had a really good year overall and I really enjoyed that. Vii was amazing but a very difficult experience for me, I felt tense *all of the time* and it could be exhausting. Village manages to change tones throughout the game while still being a scary game, that part was a real success imo.

Last edited:
So far my favorite game this year is NEO: The World Ends with You. Despite all the pressure of making a worthy follow-up to the original game, the dev team somehow pulled it off. I adore the writing and characters, the new combat system is a lot of fun while still being faithful to the feel of the original DS combat system, the art style is great, and the soundtrack is incredible.

If you have any sort of passing interest in the game, please at least give the demo a shot.

So far, still Monster Hunter Rise although I have a very good feeling that The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles will beat it once I get further in.

Clearly it's Final Fantasy Origin: Strangers of Paradise - Trial Version 1 and 2.

Currently Capcom has me in the bag with Resident Evil Village and Ace Attorney.

Dread and SMT V though

This year has seriously been amazing for my tastes. It's hard to narrow down my number one favorite. But if you allow me to mention a few games, I'm going with either New Pokémon Snap, The Great Ace Attorney, NEO: The World Ends With You, Monster Hunter Rise or Bowser's Fury.

So far it's probably Monster Hunter Rise, although Great Ace Attorney can change that depending on how 2 ends. There are some holiday releases that can be GOTY tier for me so it's really hard to say.

I gotta hand it to Monster Hunter Rise.. Great game, lots of hours and me and a couple of friends still dive in from time to time.
Overall a pretty weak year for Switch for me personally but I can probably churn out a pretty decent top 5 I think.

On non Switch hardware, I adore It Takes Two.

Switch:
Monster Hunter Rise
Bowsers Fury
Sky: Children of Light
Eastward
Bravely Default II

Other platforms:
It Takes Two

The only 2021 game I beat was Monster Hunter Rise. All the other 27 games I completed this year are from a huge backlog lol

So, MH Rise. But I’m expecting Shin Megami Tensei V to be my GOTY alongside Metroid Dread :)

As of right now, it is NEO: The World Ends With You. Tales of Arise may overtake it (30 hours in, depends on how it goes from here), and Metroid and SMTV are both solid contenders too.

at current its neo twewy with the great ace attorney 2 hot on its heels

still got dread and smt5 on the horizon though so....

Probably gonna have to wait for Dread, BDSP, and Forza Horizon 5 to hit before I can make that decision, as right now it's between F1 2021 and New Pokémon Snap...which is a very weird comparison. : v

until last night it was Rift Apart but Undertale Chapter 2 just swooped in to compete. Endwalker and SMTV are still yet to come so let's see 👀

Probably Hitman 3 so far. I've put so many hours into it, and it's just great.

Other candidates:
Rise
Ace Attorney
Pokemon Snap
Eastward (havent beat yet)
Browser's Fury

Overall it has been a great year. Nothing sticks out, but that's fine. 2019 was similarly a year where nothing stuck out, but I had a blast.

Famicom detective Club: The girl who stands behind

Tho i think either Metroid Dread or SMT V will end being my personal goty.

I'm from the future... is Metroid Dread... i hope so.

For now, i'm hesitate between Monster Hunter Rise and Bowser's Fury... but in this instant, I fell in love with Actraiser Renaissance (bias thinking, but that was the best surprise this year for me).

So far it's The Forgotten City! Absolutely loved that story. Death's Door is a close 2nd for me, but I have a feeling Great Ace Attorney can take the crown if I get the chance to play some more.

Psychonauts 2 and Bowser's Fury, though I'm 99% positive Dread will be a valiant contender. It Takes Two was a banger too, if only the two leads weren't so insufferable

Back
Top Bottom