• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro It’s time to admit Metroid Zero Mission is Better then Super Metroid.

Zero Mission is just a watered down version of Super. I don't respect it.

Sorry Zero Mission can never be on top. For all of the good the rest of the game does (and it still isn’t perfect!), it introduced the Zero Suit which forever damaged Samus’s reputation with the overly sexualized design, the Zero Suit section is itself terrible despite their best efforts as the stealth is completely lacking and the escape sections are uninteresting, the chozo ruins boss is very underwhelming, and while the power trip afterwards is cool, the Robot Ridley boss that follows is an absolute joke and is followed by the most whatever escape sequence in the series.

Haha. Fuck no.
I wanna collect stuff while playing my Metroid game and this whole Zero Suit thing... it oversexualized Samus and made
her lookswise a model in sports illustrated and not a 6 foot 3 200 pounds ass kicking machine. I hate it.

It's a bit difficult for me to decide

ZM is much more tight to control, but SM has so much wacky tech you can do to make it more interesting.

But at the end of the day I think to myself: "which game has Maridia? The water zone with one-way rooms galore and infuriating quicksand physics?" and which game is better rings loud and clear.

Last edited:
Haha. Fuck no.
I wanna collect stuff while playing my Metroid game and this whole Zero Suit thing... it oversexualized Samus and made
her lookswise a model in sports illustrated and not a 6 foot 3 200 pounds ass kicking machine. I hate it.

Yeah, this is a bit overlooked. The whole Zero Suit debacle really made me dislike Zero Mission.

I think that Zero Mission is much more accessible than Super, but we have to admit that Super was very revolutionary back in the day.

I'd say Super is better, but I need to replay both in order to get a better opinion.

It's blowing my mind how many people seem to treat Super Metroid as some clunky, unplayable relic. Zero Mission is fine, great even, but its no Super.

Zero Mission is fried chicken - it is incredible fried chicken. Perfectly seasoned, juicy AND crispy, piping hot. You sit it in front of someone who knows fried chicken and they'll go right for the dark meat and exclaim "DANG, this is some good fried chicken" and if you give it to someone who doesn't, they'll go right for the white meat and go "DANG, this is some good fried chicken."

Super Metroid is Nashville Hot Chicken. It's not well seasoned, it's too spicy by half. It's looks as red as a fireengine, the smell is ... good but also intense. You sit it in front of someone who knows fried chicken they'll take a knife and fork, take a bit and say "HOLY SHIT THIS IS SOMETHING NEW AND FRESH AND WOW WOW WOW MY FACE IS BURNING OFF - give me some more". Put it in front of someone who doesn't and they'll pick it up with their bare hands, sniff at it, take a tiny bite and howl "TOO SPICY TOO SPICY" and then rub their watering eyes with their spice coated fingers and SCREAM while running to the bathroom.

Most people don't come back from the bathroom. A few do, eyes bloodshot, starring at the chicken like it bit them... and they want to bite it back. "Give me some more."

Nashville Hot and Kentucky Fried might look like the same thing. And you can certainly compare them - are they fried crispy, or soggy? Is the dark meat succulent, is the white meat dry? Did you brine it? Vinegar or buttermilk?

But even though they're made from the same parts, they're fundamentally different. One is designed to go down smooth, and please a crowd, the other is an uncompromising experiment, pushing some boundaries. You can love both. There is no shame in preferring the crowd pleaser. Both are near masterpieces - within their little niche. Which you prefer depends on what you value in the games.

Even the thing that ZM does unquestionably better than SM - the movement - isn't an obvious win because both games are so perfectly designed around their movement patterns. SM builds challenging enemy movement patterns around Samus (while mostly avoiding the frustrations of the original Metroid), while ZM's non-boss combat is almost incidental, making Samus feel a little more like a badass by not cluttering up the GBA's tiny screen with too many enemies/obstacles (but at the cost of some of the sense of tension and desperation that the original Metroid had).

(Personal preference - I enjoy ZM more moment-to-moment, but I keep coming back to SM, because it feels like a puzzle I'll never fully crack)

Eeh. ZM is good, but ultimately feels like a smaller version of Super.

I was just playing some of both recently. While I really enjoy Zero Mission, it just isn't better than Super for me. Also I do not understand these complaints of Super controlling poorly. Its controls great.

I still need to play zero mission.
I'm old so I have actually played through the original.

I haven't played Zero Mission but after watching multiple youtube documentaries on the series leading up to Dread I am going to speak out my ass here and say that I disagree.

Mechanics and moment-to-moment gameplay? Sure, ZM wins just as most modern metroidvanias beat out SM thanks to the passing of time.

Larger gamer design / atmosphere? Super takes the cake.

Back
Top Bottom