• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro It’s time to admit Metroid Zero Mission is Better then Super Metroid.

DecoReturns

Memento Mori
That’s right.

Metroid Zero Mission is better then Super Metroid.

And shows how to remake a classic game too.Except for the Zero Suit Samus parts. That was eh, but better then wall jumping 🤷🏽‍♀️

Discuss! (I love both games by the way)

It absolutely controls better, no question there at all. And I actually like the Zero Suit section 🤷🏻‍♂️.

But at the end of the day, I think I just prefer the map of Super Metroid a little bit more. That and the fact that I grew up with it gives it the edge in my book.

If it weren't for the Speedbooster puzzles I'd probably would fully agree. But they ended up annoying me.

Masterful games all the same, though! ZM and REmake stand tied in my eyes as far as being the gold standards of game remakes.

I have only played each game once, but I am giving the edge to Super. I had more fun exploring in that game than most games in my life.

Zero is currently my second favorite Metroid game though

It’s certainly more fun when it comes to moment-to-moment gameplay than Super Metroid, that’s for sure.

It’s really not, it feels like a diet version of Super in the first place. In terms of areas Zero Mission only added Crateria which isn’t as expansive as it was in Super and Chozodia which is mostly a pretty terrible stealth section. Meanwhile Super has Maridia, the Wrecked Ship and overall a much more interesting version of Planet Zebes. So if you’re asking me what Metroid to play that has that setting, Super is absolutely my choice. The “worse controls” are honestly a non-issue, the finnicky wall jumping in Super isn’t even close of being a dealbreaker. Out of the two GBA games I prefer Fusion. Zero Mission just makes me feel like I’d rather play Super instead

I like ZM's non-linearity and sequence breaking better (SM is reliant on glitches for major breaks). But SM gets points for just being a meatier game with better areas.

Zero Mission would be one of my all time absolute favorites... if it wasn't for the abysmal 'zero mission' sequence at the end, and the post-game item cleanup. That and the hand holding is pretty obnoxious. As it stands, it's just a very good game.

I think Super is pretty much a flawless game design wise, but the controls do hold it back somewhat. I play a ROM hack called Super Metroid Redux nowadays that fixes this issue, however. I highly recommend it to those who couldn't deal with the original control scheme.

Everything after you kill Mother Brain just isn't good, IMO. The Zero Suit sequence isn't fun, and everything after that feels like an extended postgame without much point. Super Metroid is so much better paced.

Zero Mission would be one of my all time absolute favorites... if it wasn't for the abysmal 'zero mission' sequence at the end, and the post-game item cleanup. That and the hand holding is pretty obnoxious. As it stands, it's just a very good game.

I think Super is pretty much a flawless game design wise, but the controls do hold it back somewhat. I play a ROM hack called Super Metroid Redux nowadays that fixes this issue, however. I highly recommend it to those who couldn't deal with the original control scheme.
The post-game item cleanup is the best part of Fusion and ZM

I prefer to collect items as I play, not after. But I understand that's not everyone's preference.
I mean it's a balance. Obviously you need a good chunk of optional collectables throughout the game. But you can do more intricate challenges when every upgrade is unlocked. The shinespark rooms in Fusion/ZM are excellent and those frequently used end-game power ups. The ZM post-game let them do super intricate level design to hide collectables

Zero Mission does a lot to streamline and upgrade the Super Metroid controls, out of necessity due to the reduced amount of buttons in the GBA, but it works incredibly well. What holds it back is pretty much everything it inherited from OG Metroid, really.

I have similar feelings about Samus Returns. Free aim especially evolves the combat a lot, but the Metroid 2 map is just a chore to go through.

Super Metroid still edges them out in map and world design alone, but it's true the later games make Super feel clunkier and more dated.

I deeply enjoy both games, but it's weird: I've always felt that Super's physics were too floaty, while Zero Mission's were too heavy. It's as though Samus either floats like she's on the moon, or plummets back down to ground like a boulder. I like Fusion's physics the most, except for the unfortunate lack of bomb jump / single wall jump.

I absolutely love Zero Mission. It's been a while since I've played it, but it's the 2D Metroid I'm the fondest of. The way Samus controls in that game and it's pacing is just bliss, and it finally let me play the original Metroid since I didn't have the patience for the NES original. A short and sweet game.

I went through every single 2D Metroid game earlier this year for the first time in preparation for Dread. I have zero nostalgia or baggage colouring my views here.

But I disagree with this assertion. I do think Zero Mission is a joy to play, immaculately designed, and the Metroid game that I think is the perfect encapsulation of Metroid, and the one I would recommend to newcomers if they have access to it. But it is not a better game than Super Metroid. It's not close. Super Metroid towers ridiculously over every other 2D Metroid game in the series.

I cant agree. I know there is a contingent of fans that love Zero Mission, but Super is just a much better game in my eyes. It's got much better atmosphere, and the wall jump is much better imo. Super's wall jump feels great when u learn it, and so fluid. Not sure why so many dislike it.

Also, Zero Mission is too hand holdy, too easy, and lacks scope. The world is just too small for me to enjoy exploring it more than Super.

That’s right.

Metroid Zero Mission is better then Super Metroid.

And shows how to remake a classic game too.Except for the Zero Suit Samus parts. That was eh, but better then wall jumping 🤷🏽‍♀️

Discuss! (I love both games by the way)
At least from a first playthrough of both, you have my sword

Super Metroid is my favorite of the two, Zero Missions holds the hand a bit too much. I think hand-holding is detrimental to the Metroid experience.

Super and Fusion reign supreme in atmosphere, but I still enjoy ZM's a lot. And its movement and general pace is incredible

I'm still to play Super Metroid with the Zero Mission controls and physics patched in so, for now, i wholeheartedly agree.

A game can offer the best exploration, graphics and atmosphere, but if controls fight agaisnt the player, it's all moot.

Frankly, personally i dislike Super Metroid because of how Samus controls, it's too complicated and floaty, It feels unweildy to me. I replayed It again last year and It wasn't a great experience for me. Zero Mission feels just right.

I liked the Zero Suit section too btw

I prefer Super Metroid and also Metroid Fusion to Zero Mission, but the three are stelar so I can see how ordering them is very debatable. Super Metroid has worse controls by far, but in level design, pacing and atmosphere it is a masterpiece like few others.

So I hadn't played Zero Mission until recently (didn't want to gamble on ebay carts and don't have my wii U hooked up) but finally played it. Overall it's an excellent replacement of Metroid 1 but I wish it let you get lost a bit more. The Chozo statues tell you where to go a few days it too much. There were a few times when you felt like you had to figure out where to go to get there but for the most part it was just a disguised linear path. I just wish it let you get lost a bit more like Super does.

That being said, there's no Maridia pace killer or Phantoon difficulty spike so overall it's a better balanced game (zero suit section could be argued as being similar but I think it's short and unique enough that it's okay). Finally item sweep is similar to Fusion but not as good (smaller map I think).

My biggest complaint about ZM over Super is that ZM's bosses are only okay. Kraid and Ridley are fine. Mecha Ridley is uninspired, and the Chozo boss is just meh.

ZM is a great replacement for M1 (better than SR for M2) but but I just wish I could turn off the Chozo waypoints.

As much as I love Super Metroid I can’t really play it anymore. It controls so bad. I don’t know if the controls just suck or if I got spoiled by more modern Metroidvania’s, but man… I’d definitely play Zero Mission over Super Metroid any day of the week, if only for the controls.

I love the moody feeling of Super and the variety of items you can use a lot more. I know it doesn't add much but I also love being able to turn on and off upgrades. That said, I actually think Zero is much more replayable. It's a toss up.

I think Super is the better game, but I can play Zero way more.

I love the moody feeling of Super and the variety of items you can use a lot more. I know it doesn't add much but I also love being able to turn on and off upgrades. That said, I actually think Zero is much more replayable. It's a toss up.

I think Super is the better game, but I can play Zero way more.
It's you. Metroid himself! Amazing!

After replaying the mainline games over the past year, Zero Mission is my least favorite. It's ostensibly a remake of Metroid, but it throws away the unique game play design of that game to make it a Super Metroid clone with the story of the original (ie, basically the same as Super Metroid with less going on).

But we already have Super, and Zero Mission is a much worse Super than Super between the half baked (seemingly abandoned mid development?) cartoon art style, progress checks that slowdown the game, and removing most of the map on service of adding a terrible stealth segment. A terrible stealth segment that not only isn't fun to play, but based on the perverted comments on concept art mainly exists because Sakamoto wanted to include a full screen ass shot of Samus (and add yet another Ridley form... it like a meme at this point).

I don't really like Mercury Stream as a dev (and Samus Returns shares some of Zero Missions flaws), but at least it's a remake of the game it says it is and doesn't devote 30% of itself to "what if Samus had a catsuit".

I actually just beat ZM like, 5 minutes ago. Woah. Talk about good timing!

It is a very good game but I still give the edge to Super.

However, that part where you finally get your suit back and it has the big-ass iconic shoulder pads, the Metroid main theme starts blaring and you can kill those fucking Space Pirates that were making your suitless life miserable in TWO SHOTS is one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise. Maybe even genre.

And I guess this is a good place as any to ask, which one should I play for the Metroid 2 experience, AM2R or Samus Returns?

Last edited:

However, that part where you finally get your suit back and it has the big-ass iconic shoulder pads, the Metroid main theme starts blaring and you can kill those fucking Space Pirates that were making your suitless life miserable in TWO SHOTS is one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise. Maybe even genre.

And I guess this is a good place as any to ask, which one should I play for the Metroid 2 experience, AM2R or Samus Returns?
I haven’t played AM2R but Samus Returns would be better to prepare for Dread

I just beat Super Metroid last night, for the first time in over a decade. I even played with the romhack titled Super Metroid Redux, that fixes the physics to be more like Zero Mission's.

I haven't replayed Zero Mission yet, but I have a feeling that if I did, I would agree with TC. There's a bunch of stuff in Super that I realized isn't that great.

Might make a thread about it later.

Both AM2R and SM are worth playing.
I definitely agree with this. SR would be best if you are planning on playing before Dread. I think if you try to play it after Dread tho, you're gonna be complaining about the 3DS hardware limitations.

AM2R is closer to Zero mission in how it plays. There's some fun custom content added as well. It's got some good QoL additions as well. Both SR and AM2R do M2 justice, but both still kinda miss the mark on the isolation and tone that the original had.

I know this is sacrilege but you have my axe. Zero Mission was just more fun to actually play.
Honestly I can agree with this too. I enjoyed Zero Mission more. Not really a big fan of Super Metroid, TBH. When it comes to Metroidvanias, SOTN is king in my book.

Zero Mission is one of the worst 2D Metroids actually

tenor.gif

Samus Returns is better as prepwork for Dread

Both AM2R and SM are worth playing.

I definitely agree with this. SR would be best if you are planning on playing before Dread. I think if you try to play it after Dread tho, you're gonna be complaining about the 3DS hardware limitations.

AM2R is closer to Zero mission in how it plays. There's some fun custom content added as well. It's got some good QoL additions as well. Both SR and AM2R do M2 justice, but both still kinda miss the mark on the isolation and tone that the original had.

Samus Returns is better as prepwork for Dread

Thanks y'all. Samus Returns it is!

Raising this thread back from the dead just to confirm: Zero Mission is indeed better than Super Metroid.

I played through both recently. Super Metroid was a wonderful experience, it's incredibly innovative and influential, the atmosphere is unmatched... but Zero Mission is the better game to play.

If you look at both games as variations on the same theme (Samus exploring Zebes), Zero Mission keeps the intricate level design of Super, but the moment to moment gameplay is just so much smoother by comparison. The platforming and character controls are some of the best in a 2D game. And for a game that often gets derided as being too hand-holdy, it's still an densely layered game that will often still just leave you to discover where to go next. The Chozo waypoints are handy quest markers, but they don't provide a checklist of A-Z.

Also, the Zero Mission soundtrack slays. The GBA has no business sounding that good.

Zero Mission > Super Metroid

I've replayed both Zero Mission and Super Metroid (twice each) recently, and can confirm that Super is better. By a lot. It's got better atmosphere, better story, better music, better physics, and doesn't have a Zero Suit section. I'm puzzled by people who prefer the jumping in Zero Mission. When you jump from a run in Zero Mission it slows Samus down for some reason and it feels rubbish. She keeps her momentum in Super a lot better and when you work out her controls it feels much more organic. Also as a bunch of jumps in Zero Mission are designed for the ledge hang you seem to constantly be slowing down. Little things like the second you let go of the jump button in Super Samus starts dropping gives you Mega Man level control of her vertical height. All of these complaints about Super's physics are workmen refusing to learn their tools.

Also, the sequence breaking in Zero Mission is all preordained by the devs, it's (again) not as organic as Super.

This isn't to belittle Zero Mission, it's an incredible reworking of Metroid. It's just not the king.

I've replayed both Zero Mission and Super Metroid (twice each) recently, and can confirm that Super is better. By a lot. It's got better atmosphere, better story, better music, better physics, and doesn't have a Zero Suit section. I'm puzzled by people who prefer the jumping in Zero Mission. When you jump from a run in Zero Mission it slows Samus down for some reason and it feels rubbish. She keeps her momentum in Super a lot better and when you work out her controls it feels much more organic. Also as a bunch of jumps in Zero Mission are designed for the ledge hang you seem to constantly be slowing down. Little things like the second you let go of the jump button in Super Samus starts dropping gives you Mega Man level control of her vertical height. All of these complaints about Super's physics are workmen refusing to learn their tools.

Also, the sequence breaking in Zero Mission is all preordained by the devs, it's (again) not as organic as Super.

This isn't to belittle Zero Mission, it's an incredible reworking of Metroid. It's just not the king.
Queen.

For Metroid, we must use Queen

🤔

super is still great and helped kick off the whole sub-genre but i'd have to agree

zero mission perfectly weaved in a bunch of new ideas to a simulacrum of the old metroid map and just felt better to play, not to mention had some really wild puzzles with new speedboost mechanics.

i just find zero mission and fusion to be more fun to play than super metroid, though super is still king in terms of atmosphere. replayed all the 2d games before dread, i do really like super metroid, but had more fun with the gba games

love that zero mission buffs the final boss if you get all items, wish more metroid games did that

Zero Mission was my favorite Metroid game before Dread. It just feels so good to play and Samus controls very well.

Some of the granular level control in Super Metroid is really cool, but it can also be equally frustrating:- the fact that Samus starts dropping once you release the jump button means platforming can become difficult if you have less than great co-ordination, or are having to string together multiple jumps. Combined with the general weighty feel of Samus in general... it's not bad but it can be clunky.

Samus in Zero Mission, by comparison, feels effortless. The control is still there, but actions feel snappier, there's less micromanagement required of button presses, and it's genuinely incredible how the developers string together different animation states such as running, jumping, wall-hanging, aiming, etc so that they all flow in and out of each other seamlessly.

The fact that Super Metroid has aiming on two different bumpers where Zero Mission corrects this to one bumper and the D-Pad highlights what I'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom