• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Is Kain from Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain an edgelord? (A look into late 90's "mature" gaming) *Spoilers*

SiG

Chain Chomp
I started playing Blood Omen the moment I got it off GOG and the OpenGL wrapper for the game. Apart from the combat which...seems to be of its time and a bit dated (Silicon Knights would incidentally improve their combat system with Eternal Darkness), the character of Kain comes off rather...unlikable.

As a human, he comes off as a bit selfish but...as a vampire, he's like a total dick to everyone. He's only interested in his own selfish desire for revenge, and even when presented with the opportunity to help Nosgoth, he cares not about the fate of his world. In a sense, he'se sort of like a proto-Kratos in that anti-hero protagonists were considered cool when they didn't really care much about anything but their own adevistic desires, an anything else that so happens to benefit morally "good" characters that come across them is just an added bonus (i.e. Kain kills even worse vampires like "MAAAALIIIK".

Then we get to Raziel, who went on to become Kain's...sword. At first, Kain was just a complete douche by ripping his wings and tossing him into the Lake of the Dead, and later hounded for attempting to seek revenge by none other than Kain himself, but eventually it turns out Raziel was being used all along by the Elder God, and when it came time for the former leftenant to assist his original master, Kain...didn't seem to care at all that much.

I do think what sells Kain his character for the most part is Simon Templeman's excellent, if not overly flowery delivery of his dialogue (I guess that's just the prose of SK's work), though it can get a bit grating hearing him laugh every time I swing my sword with a Vae Victus.

He's not even the first edgy character on the Playstation. The year it launched in North America brought "Loaded" to the world. The box art says it all, really.
15910-loaded-playstation-front-cover.jpg

(The other four playable characters aren't much better, one of them is even built entirely around a particularly shitty "man in a dress" joke.) :rolleyes:
I hope Square re-releases Soul Reaver game some day. Really wanna try them.
I'm not really sure what the current situation is with that. It was on Steam & GOG for several years, but was eventually delisted a few months ago due to them needing to make "some important updates".

Nah, Kain is just an asshole. Not even edgy like other vampires, but his awareness of the fuckups he made was actually really cool to observe as the series progressed.

Quoted by: SiG
Nah, Kain is just an asshole. Not even edgy like other vampires, but his awareness of the fuckups he made was actually really cool to observe as the series progressed.
Really? I haven't observe Kain come to any self-realization. Must've glossed over it as they focused on Raziel...

Really? I haven't observe Kain come to any self-realization. Must've glossed over it as they focused on Raziel...
All of Soul Reaver was Kain realising he fucked up and was manipulating events to a more favourable outcome

Quoted by: SiG
Kain's characterisation in both Blood Omen games and Soul Reaver are more just his tyrannical aspirations than him being an edge lord, though with Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance it's implicit that his actions in Soul Reaver are more playing the part of the villain than actually being evil as he realises that he got a pretty raw deal by Mobius.

Really? I took it more as Kain berating Raziel for having his own quest for vengeance, despite having valid reasons.
Which games did you play? Was it up to Soul Reaver or did you get to Defiance?

Defiance continues the journey of the Vampire lord Kain and his lieutenant-turned-wraith Raziel. After having Raziel killed to be revived by the Elder God as a wraith during the events of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Kain travels backwards through time and is followed by Raziel into Nosgoth's past, uncovering the conspiratorial events that led to the land being doomed to an eternity of corruption. After establishing his free will by refusing to kill Kain when prophesied, Raziel discovers that Moebius the Time Streamer had originally manipulated Kain into igniting a genocidal war against Vampires until he was the last of his kind. In manipulating Raziel who has free will and thus whose decisions and actions cannot be foreseen by Moebius, Kain hopes to find a way to undo the consequences of his actions and restore Nosgoth to its former glory.
As you can see Kain is trying to make something right but plays the part of the villain to manipulate events. More of an antihero

Back
Top Bottom