• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Is Balan Wonderworld the new Troll & I

D

Deleted member 2

I have a thing for collecting the worst games on a given Nintendo system.

Among the Switch collectors in the /r/NSCollectors community, it's been a meme for years that Troll & I is the ultimate collectors game. It's barely known, it runs and looks like absolute garbage, and the first mission in the game after you gain control of the character is literally looking for troll droppings. Hunting for shit. Like, you have to notice some heat-wavers in the air above the next dropping ahead of you to find a "breadcrumb" trail of shit.

Now Balan Wonderworld has come along and stolen the spotlight. This game (at least based on the demo) actually made me feel sick to play. It felt like a fever dream. Like I had the flu and I was stuck somewhere between awake and asleep, and my mind was spinning a mile a minute and I was dreaming I was trapped in a video game that my subconscious mind only half-heartedly conjured. It feels literally exactly like this.

Not only that, but everything went catastrophically wrong with this. Square Enix marketed the shit out of it. There was so much money, time, and effort (and talent!) put into the cinematics. It was Yuji Naka's final chance to prove himself. They didn't even name it Balan Wonderland, which even sort of rhymes.

A hundred years from now, will Balan Wonderworld be known as the worst game on the Switch? What is another contender?

I am waiting for it to hit five bucks before I dive in. I have some good friends who are staunch Balan Defenders and I will give the game a proper playthrough when the price is right.

Troll & I sounds like a Frank Reynolds autobiography.

I think Balan really oversold itself with the long reveal it had on Direct. The game just wasn’t up to expectations

Balan Wonderworld is a bad game, but it's also not close to the worst one IMO - it was sort of high profile game from Square that probably wouldnt have gotten the same attention if it wasnt from Square Enix and being directed by Yuji Naka.

Troll & I
Ark: Survival Evolved
WWE 2K18
Vroom in the Night Sky

Those are still much much worse IMO :p

Please do not slander Vroom in the Night Sky in this thread.
maxresdefault.jpg

The hilarious part about Balan is the reveal reactions, lmao. People were hyped. Then less so with previews. Even less so with the demo. And then just completely turned off the game by release.

Can't wait to watch RGT85 stream Balan after he loses the bet 🤣

To think that I was actually hoping that this game would be good after the first set of trailers... What a fever dream of a game.

It being the worst game on the Switch is both amusing and frankly tragic, because I think the Switch version had a lot to do with the game's terrible reception. Err, it's post-release reception, that is. (The demo did most of the damage, but they did fix things like slow costume switching and walking speed in the patch.)

But Balan just -looks- like the kind of game you'd want to play on Switch! Colorful and bold! Friendly and accessible for all ages! Then the Switch version comes out and it's just bad. A slow, hideous mess. I was an early Balan defender, but even I gave up on playing it. It just wasn't any fun. And even the visual highlights of the game (the butterfly costume bits are gorgeous) failed to land on Switch...

...Then I watched Austin Eruption's comprehensive review of it and double-dipped on Steam (I know, I know!) and after pairing the game with a good PC, I became a born-again Balan defender. But that Switch port... No. Just no...

Back
Top Bottom