• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion International Famiboards thread

wolftendo

Shiny hunter wolf
Pronouns
He/Him
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been looking around and there isn't any thread for non-English speakers? I think it would be a good idea to create one, for people who want to practice a language, get help or just interact with people who share their tongue.

I don't know if a single thread would suffice or a different thread per language would be OK? In any case I'm willing to share tips and practice Japanese and Spanish with my fellow Famiboardians (?).

This sounds like a cool idea! I should probably practice my Japanese more, I've been really inconsistent about it...

For anyone interested, my native language is French and I'm always basically always down to lend a hand to people who want some practice o7 Par contre je suis de Romandie donc j'ai 2-3 différences de dialecte comparé au Français "standard".

This sounds like a cool idea! I should probably practice my Japanese more, I've been really inconsistent about it...

For anyone interested, my native language is French and I'm always basically always down to lend a hand to people who want some practice o7 Par contre je suis de Romandie donc j'ai 2-3 différences de dialecte comparé au Français "standard".
I've always really wanted to learn French, but it always seemed so difficult. Maybe this is the year I should get more serious about it.
I should also really sharpen my Japanese, been a bit lazy about it despite living here.

I've always really wanted to learn French, but it always seemed so difficult. Maybe this is the year I should get more serious about it.
I should also really sharpen my Japanese, been a bit lazy about it despite living here.
If you do decide to, you'll have at least one (more) person to speak it with! There's some aspects of French that are pretty difficult, especially coming from English, but some other aspects that seem a lot more difficult than they actually are. I would say speaking French well enough to be understood and to have mostly-fluent levels of understanding isn't harder than most other languages, but it's getting everything correct where it gets very finicky very fast. There's also a pretty big gap between how spoken French and written French work that can trip up people who don't know to expect it.

骨女とよんでもいいですか?

I'm half Nicaraguan. I grew up speaking Spanish, but as a natural consequence of the passing of my grandparents during my teenage years, I no longer had as many opportunities to use it, sadly. I can still speak decent conversational Spanish, of course, but it's not on-par with those that regularly speak it in their day-to-day lives. Nonetheless, here's a quick little message I recorded. Awesome idea for a thread!

If you do decide to, you'll have at least one (more) person to speak it with! There's some aspects of French that are pretty difficult, especially coming from English, but some other aspects that seem a lot more difficult than they actually are. I would say speaking French well enough to be understood and to have mostly-fluent levels of understanding isn't harder than most other languages, but it's getting everything correct where it gets very finicky very fast. There's also a pretty big gap between how spoken French and written French work that can trip up people who don't know to expect it.

骨女とよんでもいいですか?
ありがとう😉👍🎶
そういえば日本語会話連絡の相手が欲しい場合に私に任せてください!でも私の日本語は全然良くない😆
実は仏語を学びたい理由はbande desinee読みたいwwwwww
筋骨ガール呼んでください

骨女とよんでもいいですか?

As a native Spanish speaker the most confusing thing about French (besides the pronunciation, lol) is gender. Like omg a lot of stuff that is masculine in Spanish is feminine in French and vice versa.

I get it's easier to learn French from Spanish but it does feel like you have to relearn a lot of stuff.

Also apart from the single "Hola", hello, native Spaniard here born in the Basque Country, so I'm already sort of international myself? 🤔

ありがとう😉👍🎶
筋骨ガール呼んでください
おもしろいです!
僕は日本に一年ぐらい住んで、耐震学を卒業して、修士を受けた。
日本に出会った彼氏が英語教師だ。
また彼氏に会いたいし、勉強が続けたいしので日本に戻るつもりだ。
よろしくね

ありがとう😉👍🎶
筋骨ガール呼んでください
よろしくおねがいします、筋骨ガール!
僕は日本語がとても下手です。でも、読むほうが書くのよりはいいかな…
どのbande dessinéeは読みたいか?有名の本か?

I hope I didn't massacre that too much, I have significantly more reading practice than writing practice, so none of the words I need come to mind... I'm in a weird spot where I started learning from another family around the neighborhood when I was around 11, but had to take long breaks during high school, so the basics always come to me immediately but everything I've learned after is so much harder to hold onto because I can't get regular study/practice :'(

As a native Spanish speaker the most confusing thing about French (besides the pronunciation, lol) is gender. Like omg a lot of stuff that is masculine in Spanish is feminine in French and vice versa.

I get it's easier to learn French from Spanish but it does feel like you have to relearn a lot of stuff.
Oh my god I can imagine... I've heard it's easier to learn French after Spanish than the other way around, but I have no idea by how much. It feels so weird reading Spanish though, there's just enough words I recognize that I can get a vague idea what the topics are, but I don't actually know anything. Language families are wild.

I'm half Nicaraguan. I grew up speaking Spanish, but as a natural consequence of the passing of my grandparents during my teenage years, I no longer had as many opportunities to use it, sadly. I can still speak decent conversational Spanish, of course, but it's not on-par with those that regularly speak it in their day-to-day lives. Nonetheless, here's a quick little message I recorded. Awesome idea for a thread!

Your voice is really soothing.

Your voice is really soothing.

I agree. Aurc ASMR is something I wasn't expecting today, but I'm glad happened.

よろしくおねがいします、筋骨ガール!
僕は日本語がとても下手です。でも、読むほうが書くのよりはいいかな…
どのbande dessinéeは読みたいか?有名の本か?

I hope I didn't massacre that too much, I have significantly more reading practice than writing practice, so none of the words I need come to mind... I'm in a weird spot where I started learning from another family around the neighborhood when I was around 11, but had to take long breaks during high school, so the basics always come to me immediately but everything I've learned after is so much harder to hold onto because I can't get regular study/practice
いいじゃん!私なら話すのことより聴くのし読むのしほうがいい。話すの時はすごく緊張になります
好きbande dessinéeは「タンタンの冒険」「Asterix」「L'Incal」....いろいろだね。でも、古いバンド・デシネは英語の翻訳は珍しい。そんなことすごく読みたい。

Nice idea for a thread. I'm Swedish myself. Mysigt ställe, det här!

People use to say that I'm very good at English despite it being my non-native tongue, but it was only 2 years ago that I finally learned it was "receive" not "recieve". I'm also very unsure about "recognize", which I keep getting spellcheck errors for.

People use to say that I'm very good at English despite it being my non-native tongue, but it was only 2 years ago that I finally learned it was "receive" not "recieve". I'm also very unsure about "recognize", which I keep getting spellcheck errors for.
If it makes you feel any better, lots of native English speakers spell "receive" wrong that way lol.

As for "recognize," the commonly accepted spelling in commonwealth countries is "recognise," so it might depend on that. A lot of those words swap Z and S between American and British English.

I was able to read/write and speak Hebrew as a kid but as soon as I had my Bar Mitzvah I forgot pretty much all of it, sadly. I've kicked around learning Japanese for years but learning another alphabet is extremely intimidating.

There's a sort of 'rule' in English which is 'i before e, except after c' when it comes to spelling words like receive. Unfortunately,, there are frequent exceptions because English is the language of anarchy and doesn't heed rules, not even its own.

And yeah recognize/recognise is just a matter of regional differences in English. I'm British, therefore would spell it recognise, but I will get spellcheck errors if anything is set to US English.

Anyway, yeah, British, so native English speaker. I do know a bit of French though I'm super rusty at this point.

Unfortunately,, there are frequent exceptions because English is the language of anarchy and doesn't heed rules, not even its own.

I largely blame William the Conqueror and the Norman Conquest for that. The language used to have rules, I tell you, rules! But that bastard* had to come along and ensure the language became increasingly slippery forevermore.

Also the liberal pilfering of words from other languages outside that likely contributed, but that instance would have the largest effect.

*I feel it might be necessary to explain this inclusion: William the Bastard is a known and accepted title for the man, derived from the effects his illegitimacy carried on his life and career.

いいじゃん!私なら話すのことより聴くのし読むのしほうがいい。話すの時はすごく緊張になります
好きbande dessinéeは「タンタンの冒険」「Asterix」「L'Incal」....いろいろだね。でも、古いバンド・デシネは英語の翻訳は珍しい。そんなことすごく読みたい。
ううん!このBDは子供の時にはたくさん読んだ。一番の好きは「Asterix」と「Marsupilami」だった
僕の両親はあのシリーズの本を全部持つ。でも、長い間に読んでいない。

ううん!このBDは子供の時にはたくさん読んだ。一番の好きは「Asterix」と「Marsupilami」だった
僕の両親はあのシリーズの本を全部持つ。でも、長い間に読んでいない。
面白いね。子供の時にディズニーチャネルで「Maruspilami」のアニメを見ました。アメリカで「Spirou et Fantasio」知っている人が全然いないけどなぜアメリカ版が作った⁉️

I get that a lot, and then either of two things happen:
  • They actually hear my deeply accented voice and the fact I have no idea how a lot of words sound
  • I get stuck on this very specific word I don't know in English.
Both are amazing given my partner is Canadian and we live together with another three Americans. When my partner arrived here she continuously lost her shit at me referring to the rolling pin as the "dick flattener" when cooking because I didn't know the actual English name for it.

UPDATE: Turns out I'm going to France in March. And so this means I have two months to learn what I can in duolingo from scratch.

image.png

Any advice you could give to a beginner who is only two months away from a trip to France?

面白いね。子供の時にディズニーチャネルで「Maruspilami」のアニメを見ました。アメリカで「Spirou et Fantasio」知っている人が全然いないけどなぜアメリカ版が作った⁉️
Not 100% sure I understand the last bit, no one in the US knows Spirou but they still made their own version? I hadn't heard of that, that sounds so bizarre lmao

僕の母は子供の時に「Spirou」の雑誌をまだ持っている、この国にとても有名だった!両親はたくさんBDを集める。
UPDATE: Turns out I'm going to France in March. And so this means I have two months to learn what I can in duolingo from scratch.

image.png

Any advice you could give to a beginner who is only two months away from a trip to France?
Good luck! I'd recommend looking up how the accent sounds for wherever you're going, just so it doesn't surprise you too much if it differs from the one duolingo uses. People can sound pretty different between say, Paris and Marseille (which both have pretty strong accents) and the various countrysides. Also brace yourself for people speaking fairly fast and being pretty bad at slowing down for learners. Some dialects are better or worse at this but overall France dialects go fast.

I'm not sure there's anything else I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm happy to answer you if something specific ever comes up o7

Back
Top Bottom