• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News in a devastating blow to preservation, Disney+ is starting to wipe underperforming shows off the service. (World According To Goldblum, Willow.)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
yes, more services are doing this bullshit after HBO Max tried it. this is the current list.
The Mysterious Benedict Society [Disney+]
Big Shot [Disney+]
Turner & Hooch [Disney+]
Willow [Disney+]
The Making Of Willow [Disney+]
Just Beyond [Disney+]
The World According To Jeff Goldblum [Disney+]
Pistol [FX/Hulu]
Dollface [Hulu]
The Quest [Disney+]
The Hot Zone [Nat Geo/Hulu]
Y: The Last Man [FX/Hulu]
Maggie [Hulu]
Little Demon [FX/Hulu]
The Premise [Hulu]
Love In The Time Of Corona [Hulu]
Everything’s Trash [Hulu]
Best In Snow [Hulu]
Best In Dough [Hulu]
The One And Only Ivan [Disney+]
Timmy Failure [Disney+]
Be Our Chef [Disney+]
Magic Camp [Disney+]
Howard [Disney+]
Earth To Ned [Disney+]
Foodtastic [Disney+]
Stuntman [Disney+]
Disney Fairy Tale Weddings [Disney+]
Wolfgang [Disney+]
It’s a Dog’s Life With Bill Farmer [Disney+]
it's truly infuriating to see content like this going out the window as "cost cutting measures", especially considering there's no physical versions to replace them. (a few of the HBO Max removals, such as Infinity Train. had partial and occasionally full DVD/Blu-Ray releases.)

it also kind of defeats the whole purpose of streaming services splitting off like they have been, if you somehow can't afford keeping all of your films/tv shows on one service. you may as well just stick with licensing it out to the big guys.

I don't pay for any streaming services apart from a singular sports subscription (Kayo for Aussies). What's the point? Things that you bought it for can be taken away at any moment.

Pretty sure Willow came out in like November. All of this stuff is the kind of the stuff Disney+ needs more of, not less. No wonder it underperforms too since the way the app is presented makes it look like Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, and the nature stuff are the only things on there. Terrible news.

This is fucked. As I said before, I only have disney plus for simpsons, futurama and always sunny. So don't fuck around Disney

Pretty sure Willow came out in like November. All of this stuff is the kind of the stuff Disney+ needs more of, not less. No wonder it underperforms too since the way the app is presented makes it look like Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, and the nature stuff are the only things on there. Terrible news.
Can't disagree with this, but honestly Willow was an odd pull for something to remake from the GenX/Elder Millenial nostalgia pool. Pretty much all of these services have a big discovery problem. And I'd argue that encouraging binging undercuts discoverability because you're not encouraging your audience to explore the catalog because you're trying to keep them locked into whatever they're currently watching.

Streaming is worthless for preservation. For that you want physical copies (blu-ray,dvd, etc.) Or backups being widely available.

These movie studios were never going to have a vault like approach with their whole back catalog, doesn't make money.

Expect a lean, rotating selection of hyped recent releases and some classic titles mixed in. That's the future.

I'm surprised Disney weren't the first company to do this. The whole Disney Vault marketing nonsense and trying to limit people's ability to watch their content to make them feel more beloved/limited has always been a weird ploy they did.

To me in this day and age, it just promotes pirating that content since you have no place else to watch it.

People put on their Pirating hats back on when they started announcing all these different streaming services. Now they are glued on and people will probably not be looking back.

I don't understand the reason. Server space? Surely a big company such as Disney can afford to host these series.

Even from a company perspective, it generates bad PR. How can I be sure that the niche series/movie I like will be kept on the service?

I don't understand the reason. Server space? Surely a big company such as Disney can afford to host these series.

Even from a company perspective, it generates bad PR. How can I be sure that the niche series/movie I like will be kept on the service?
If they aren't a big draw for the service they can get more money giving an exclusive license to someone else. They also onto have to pay royalties to the creative if they get yanked.

Residuals

Honestly, this is why I've been trying to grab more Blu-rays lately, but that's not foolproof, since stuff might not be released on there, or might be hard to find. Like why is it so hard to find a 4K Blu-Ray of Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2?

Honestly, this is why I've been trying to grab more Blu-rays lately, but that's not foolproof, since stuff might not be released on there, or might be hard to find. Like why is it so hard to find a 4K Blu-Ray of Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2?
I've been building a physical media library since 2019. Don't have everything I want quite yet but I've got a ton of movies and shows. I don't sub to any streaming service. For me it's disc's and free streaming (pluto, YouTube, etc.)

I've been building a physical media library since 2019. Don't have everything I want quite yet but I've got a ton of movies and shows. I don't sub to any streaming service. For me it's disc's and free streaming (pluto, YouTube, etc.)
PlutoTV is incredible. Paramount has done well with it. 24/7 channels for CSI: Miami, Bob Barker era TPIR, Mission Impossible, etc.

I've never heard of PlutoTV tbh
Basically it's like cable TV, but free and with no account needed. It has channels you pick and it shows what's airing. They have channels themed around movies of a certain genre, some channels that show a specific show etc. It's owned by paramount so it has a bunch of their stuff plus stuff from other companies too. If you have a roku tv/smart TV there is a native app. I believe they even have some on demand stuff but I haven't tried it.

The hot new channel on PlutoTV is the CBS Golazo Network, which is 24/7 soccer action, including live matches from Serie A, the Argentine Primera Division, and the NWSL.

Basically it's like cable TV, but free and with no account needed. It has channels you pick and it shows what's airing. They have channels themed around movies of a certain genre, some channels that show a specific show etc. It's owned by paramount so it has a bunch of their stuff plus stuff from other companies too. If you have a roku tv/smart TV there is a native app. I believe they even have some on demand stuff but I haven't tried it.
Just downloaded it to my ps5, I'll check it out when I have the chance.

I have only heard of three of those, and that's only because they are adaptations of something that already existed

I don't think we should confuse streaming services with having anything to do with preservation. A stream is ephemeral. A hard copy is what can be preserved.

I'm surprised Disney weren't the first company to do this. The whole Disney Vault marketing nonsense and trying to limit people's ability to watch their content to make them feel more beloved/limited has always been a weird ploy they did.

To me in this day and age, it just promotes pirating that content since you have no place else to watch it.

People put on their Pirating hats back on when they started announcing all these different streaming services. Now they are glued on and people will probably not be looking back.

If everyone pirates them, that just means none of that content gets made to begin with.

Disney has really gone down the gutter in recent years. They must be hemorrhaging cash from all those box office bombs lately

Entertainment companies are trying to avoid paying residuals. It makes perfect sense why writers are going on strike over streaming profits.

Last edited:
Goddamn, I just barely watched Dollface a couple months ago. Glad I caught that when I did.

If everyone pirates them, that just means none of that content gets made to begin with.

I mean, if they make that content and then pull it off the service preventing anyone from actually paying for it or enjoying it at all, are they actually even making it?

I've always agreed that piracy is a service problem, and these services sure like inflicting problems on themselves

Total nonsense.

Edit:

Yeah, because that's bloody game of thrones. They don't care about it for the massive successes, because inevitably there's a number of pirates no matter what.

If you ask them if they care about if people were pirating... say, Westworld, they'd singyou a very different tune.

Yeah, because that's bloody game of thrones. They don't care about it for the massive successes, because inevitably there's a number of pirates no matter what.

If you ask them if they care about if people were pirating... say, Westworld, they'd singyou a very different tune.
Westworld has existed for a while now, and despite my best efforts I couldn't turn up any interviews where the folks behind it talk about piracy at all, so it seems like they don't care actually. Also, your argument was piracy will result in things not getting made, not "the creators will be upset" so it's not terribly relevant either way. It's a decades-old argument, and a bad one at that.

Disney+ has likely beaten the record for fastest release to removal time on a streaming service
the newest victim is Crater. which lasted 48 days.
The film, a family sci-fi adventure, was by all accounts fine. Nothing extraordinary, but nothing anyone involved would be embarrassed by either. It starred Mckenna Grace, from the latest Ghostbusters movie and Handmaid’s Tale, along with Billy Barratt (from Apple’s dangerously underrated Invasion) and Kid Cudi. People who were into it said it was fun, and also had a sad ending, and what else would you need or expect from a movie Disney made for kids and sent straight to a streaming service.
at that point. i'm surprised they didn't just go the Batgirl route of cancelling it before release. if they have that little faith in it.

I was planning to watch Crater but was finishing up some other shows (and playing TotK). Guess I won't get a chance now.

I saw a tweet a few days ago talking about how there'll never be another cult classic, and ouch. I feel that.

2 of the MCU shows (+ the first 2 seasons of The Mandalorian) are now getting physical releases
wandavision4ksteel_open.jpg

mandalorians14ksteel_open.jpg

lokis14ksteel_open.jpg

off the heels of Hulu releasing their exclusive film "Prey" onto physical media, Disney+ has finally gotten into this market.
the only issue, of course. is that they've started with the most popular series which are unlikely to be removed for a while. rather than picking titles that are currently lost.
Paramount+ did it with their former Grease series, so there's nothing really stopping Disney from doing the same.

Been wanting The Mandalorian to get a physical release so this is good news for me.

I really hope The Mysterious Benedict Society and Willow get some kind of release. Didn't get to finish the former because it got pulled as I was watching the second season.

In for Loki after hearing everything about it, but still it's insane they don't do smaller/lesser known stuff.
And is there anyone who can explain how the hell removing a show off of your platform works as a tax write-off? How does any of that make sense?!

In for Loki after hearing everything about it, but still it's insane they don't do smaller/lesser known stuff.
And is there anyone who can explain how the hell removing a show off of your platform works as a tax write-off? How does any of that make sense?!
I think they can write off the loss of potential revenue or some bullshit

some of the removed films have suddenly been added to Paid Video on Demand services

Back
Top Bottom